PDA

View Full Version : 2500 point Skaven army for upcoming tournament

Lupercus
12-02-2010, 18:30
Hi there everyone. This is my first time posting in the Fantasy forums here, and it's for a good reason. I've just started to get into 40K, but Fantasy is my main poison of choice. I've got close to 4000 points of Skaven painted and ready to go, and I have a tournament coming up that I may be attending if everything works out. The three main rules of the tournament are:
-Fully painted and based 2500 point Fantasy army
-Must have at least 4 Core choices
-May only have one Dispel Scroll in the army

So, all of that is fine with me. The problem I'm having, and usually have, is deciding on what to take out of my collection to make a decent 2500 point army. I'm looking for help and advice in regards as what to take. Here's what I have available:

Grey Seer on Screaming Bell
Vermin Lord
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace
Plague Priest
Plague Priest
Chieftain Battle Standard Bearer

30 Clanrats
30 Clanrats
30 Clanrats
30 Clanrats
20 Skavenslaves
20 Skavenslaves
20 Skavenslaves
30 Stormvermin
3 Warpfire Throwers
1 Doom-Flayer

30 Plague Monks
30 Plague Monks
8 Plague Censer Bearers
8 Plague Censer Bearers

Doomwheel
Plagueclaw Catapult
Hellpit Abomination

As you can see I have pretty much everything I could need to make an effective 2500 point army, it's just forging said force out of all this stuff that I'm having an issue with.

Lupercus
13-02-2010, 02:20
This is my initial idea for the 2500 point list, made out of a selection of models I have painted and available to me(as listed above). This is without any magic items added to the characters and such, but it gives a base from which to work. Let me know what you think.

Grey Seer-
Screaming Bell

Plague Priest-
Level 2
Flail
Plague Furnace

Plague Priest-
Plague Censer Bearer

Chieftain-
Halberd
Battle Standard Bearer

21 Clanrats-
Shields
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader
Warpfire Thrower

29 Clanrats-
Shields
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader
Warpfire Thrower

20 Skavenslaves

20 Skavenslaves

20 Skavenslaves

24 Plague Monks-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Bringer-of-the-Word

21 Plague Monks-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Bringer-of-the-Word

6 Plague Censer Bearers

6 Plague Censer Bearers

Hellpit Abomination

Doomwheel

Current Total-2384pts.

Lupercus
13-02-2010, 13:51
Hmm, no responses as of yet. Well, that could mean it's not a completely terrible list anyway. I'm half thinking of going another way, even just for fun, and using the Vermin Lord as a bit of a non-standard Lord choice. Also, I'd love to be able to use my Stormvermin(one of my favorite painted units), so I might find a way to squeeze them in as well.

It's actually quite shocking that even at 2500 points I still can't manage to fit everything I could want in an army, and with Skaven at that!

Kill Krazy
13-02-2010, 15:52
probably because its good :).
Persoanlly i think its a very good list. If i had to make one comment it would be to find a way to boost that smaller unit of clanrats up to 25.

The list is great.

Lupercus
13-02-2010, 16:06
Awesome, thanks Kill Krazy! I'm a little rusty at playing, so I'm happy to see it's a decent list I'll be taking to the tournament(I don't want to completely embarrass myself!). I really quite like the list too.

Any suggestions on what magic items and such I should equip my characters with? Keeping in mind it is a tournament setting too, of course, and the rules for this particular one only allow for one Dispel Scroll. I have a feeling the magic item load outs could really be quite vital, actually, so any advice on how to equip my Lord and Heroes would be very welcomed!

Thanks again, Kill Krazy! Oh, and that smallish(21) unit of Clanrats accompanies the Screaming Bell, making 6 ranks deep and 6 files wide. This should be enough(I think...), but I could try and add another back rank.

Kill Krazy
13-02-2010, 16:40
magic item wise its not that hard. The grey seer gets a ward save so he doesn't really need anything magic item wise , unless you want him to have a scroll.If you wanted to give him a magic item thats not a scroll there is one that reduces the enemies chance to hit him and his unit by -1 , this great as it keeps the bell and the unit pushing it alive for longer.

Plague priests are best when cheap.

The BSB , should in my opinion should have a stormbanner. It's so useful.Especially if you face dark elves or wood elves which are normally the main armies you see at tournaments.

You may want to consider actually putting the grey seer in the larger unit or clanrats.This way if the clanrats are picked instead of the bell the unit won't die that quickly.This seems like a no brainer , but no clanrats left means the bells not going to move.

Lupercus
13-02-2010, 16:44
Thanks, Kill Krazy, great advice! Alright, what I'll do is add some items and such into the list and post it here. If I end up having any points leftover, I'll add some Clanrats to the unit pushing the Bell(which is also a great suggestion, I believe).

Thanks again!

Lupercus
13-02-2010, 17:04
Here's the revised list, including magic items and everything.

Grey Seer-
Screaming Bell
Shadow Magnet Trinket

Plague Priest-
Level 2
Flail
Plague Furnace
Scrying Stone

Plague Priest-
Plague Censer
Warp Scroll

Chieftain-
Halberd
Battle Standard Bearer
Stormbanner

21 Clanrats-
Shields
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader
Warpfire Thrower

29 Clanrats-
Shields
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader
Warpfire Thrower

20 Skavenslaves

20 Skavenslaves

20 Skavenslaves

21 Plague Monks-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Bringer-of-the-Word

24 Plague Monks-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Bringer-of-the-Word

6 Plague Censer Bearers

5 Plague Censer Bearers

Hellpit Abomination

Doomwheel

TOTAL-2498pts.

I like it:) The only thing I'm a little unsure of at the moment is the Stormbanner. Oh, I know very well it's good and all, but it's quite common. There's a couple other banners and such that like using, along with the scavenge pile equipment. But, I think Kill Krazy might be right about facing a good number of opponents with a lot of shooting in a tournament setting.

Lupercus
13-02-2010, 18:12
This is a variant list I wrote up. It's most likely not quite as effective as the previous list, but I thought I'd share it to get some opinions on it anyway.

Vermin Lord

Chieftain-
Halberd
Shroud of Dripping Death
Poisoned Attacks

Plague Priest-
Level 2
Flail
Plague Furnace
Scrying Stone
Portents of Verminous Doom

Plague Priest-
Additional Hand Weapon
Tail Weapon
Poisoned Attacks
Rival Hide Talisman

29 Clanrats-
Shields
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader
Warpfire Thrower

24 Stormvermin-
Shields
Musician
Standard Bearer
Fangleader
Doom-Flayer

20 Skavenslaves

20 Skavenslaves

20 Skavenslaves

24 Plague Monks-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Bringer-of-the-Word

24 Plague Monks-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Bringer-of-the-Word

6 Plague Censer Bearers

6 Plague Censer Bearers

Doomwheel

Plagueclaw Catapult

TOTAL-2496.5pts.

Kill Krazy
13-02-2010, 18:56
This other ones good too , vermin lords are really fun just remember to watch out for cannon balls which is perhaps their one big weakness.

Persoanlly ive never used a plagueclaw catapult.Ive heard very mixed opinions of them.Some people say they are great and should be included other people call them "pillow catapults". IMO i think they are great. Good luck with it if your decide to use it.

Lupercus
14-02-2010, 00:50
Thanks a million once again, Kill Krazy, it's great to hear that the variant list with the Vermin Lord and the Stormvermin looks decent too! Agreed, I've actually yet to use the Plagueclaw(I just converted and painted one up, and I love it), but from what I can tell, I think it'll do okay.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the replies here, Kill Krazy, you've been mad helpful.

I might end up fitting in the Stormvermin to the original list as well, just because I love the unit I've painted up, and love the background involved with them. We'll see!