PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Wood Elf List, Trees and Arrows!

smallgreenguy
12-02-2010, 20:17
Hiya, I posted this on another popular wood elf site, but wanted the opinions of Warseer as well. I'm hoping to use trees as anvils, dryads as hammers, and have a lot of mobile shooting to supplement.

2,250 PTS
------------

10 Glade Guard + Musician + Champion 134

5 Glade Riders + Musician 129

8 Dryads 96
8 Dryads 96

3 Treekin + Champion 215
3 Treekin + Champion 215

Treeman Ancient + Befuddlement of Mischiefs + Cluster of Radiants + Annoyance of Netlings + Murder of Spites 425
Spellsinger, +1 ML + Calaingors Stave + Ranu's Heartstone 170
Spellsinger, +1ML 125
Spellsinger, +1ML 125

Total: 2250

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

cyberspite
12-02-2010, 21:42
Well, glade guard don't really need the champs and the treekin champions are probably not worth it, they just give your opponent the option to challenge them and take them out of the fight. Also in my experience, although decent enough, dryads don't make the best hammers because they don't negate rank bonus with flank/rear charges. Wild riders would work better for this. Otherwise a pretty solid looking and original list

DoomBringer
12-02-2010, 22:14
Hiya, I posted this on another popular wood elf site, but wanted the opinions of Warseer as well. I'm hoping to use trees as anvils, dryads as hammers, and have a lot of mobile shooting to supplement.

2,250 PTS
------------
Treeman Ancient + Befuddlement of Mischiefs + Cluster of Radiants + Annoyance of Netlings + Murder of Spites 425
Spellsinger, +1 ML + Calaingors Stave + Ranu's Heartstone 170
Spellsinger, +1ML 125
Spellsinger, +1ML 125
Nice amount of tree singing power, useful for surfing your treekin and casters around. Ancients are always a force to be reckoned with.

Champs are not needed, if a glade guard unit is charged they are pretty much dead either way, and champs make it easy for the enemy to challenge and break you through overkill. Musicians are preference so thats fine.

One thing to take into consideration is some people think 2 units of 11-14 guard is more effective than trying to get room for 3 units of 10 to shoot effectively without getting in the way.

Lots of harass potential with these guys, good to setup some nice flank/combo charges with your treekin, though you may want to drop one unit for some wild riders, glade riders are good for lots of stuff, but they can't really do anythign in combat, two units are enough to harass, where as you can have the third unit as wild riders, to add a mobile hammer.

8 Dryads 96
8 Dryads 96
Can't go wrong with dryads.

3 Treekin + Champion 215
3 Treekin + Champion 215
I would drop the champion here as well, the best part of treekin is the massive amount of high strength attacks they dish out, but if someone negates lots of those attacks challenging you are in for some trouble, also they are super expensive.

Total: 2250
Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

All in all I love this type of list, I run this type of list myself, just with a lot less magic and more forest spirits. Good luck with your gaming, and have fun.

smallgreenguy
13-02-2010, 00:27
Hey guys many thanks for the responses! I will be sure to drop the champs on the glade guard, I can definitely see that I don't need those.

My reasoning for champs on the treekin is so that shooting on them can be randomized. They are really expensive though...

I am considering your advice on the glade riders. I am not really fond of Wild Riders, so I am trying to think of what else I could add in their place. Perhaps another unit of dryads? What do you guys suggest?

I'm also considering dropping a spellsinger and using those points + the Glade Rider unit dropped to add in another Treeman... What do you guys think?

I'm also not exactly used to a shooting army, as I play Ogres and Vampires, so in order to have a fun shooting army, is 3 units of Glade Guard and 2 Units of Glade Riders going to be enough to inflict some nice casualties?

My main want is an army of trees with a lot of fun mobile shooting!

Many thanks for the responses guys. :)

DoomBringer
13-02-2010, 01:17
My reasoning for champs on the treekin is so that shooting on them can be randomized. They are really expensive though...

I can see how that could help, still expensive.

I am considering your advice on the glade riders. I am not really fond of Wild Riders, so I am trying to think of what else I could add in their place. Perhaps another unit of dryads? What do you guys suggest?
Dryads are good, I normally run 3 units of 8 anyway, it adds more presence to the board, also hard to shoot down b/c of skirmish.

I'm also considering dropping a spellsinger and using those points + the Glade Rider unit dropped to add in another Treeman... What do you guys think?
If you add a second treeman this list will instantly become a tournament level list in 90% of the gaming community's eyes. Even though you may not be making the dreaded dual treeman lists you see in tournies. People can normally deal with one treeman, but two is hard to deal with, and not get overwhelmed from. So it's up to you really.

I'm also not exactly used to a shooting army, as I play Ogres and Vampires, so in order to have a fun shooting army, is 3 units of Glade Guard and 2 Units of Glade Riders going to be enough to inflict some nice casualties?
From your list, its not really a shooty army, more like a forest spirit list backed up by a few units of glade guard. First off you shouldn't really expect much out of your shooting, it doesn't inflict damage like say a close combat does, especially the low str shooting most elves have. With glade guard and riders you should either focus on a few units to force panic, large targets, or units to plick off some rank bonuses. The advantage of being wood elf archers is the fact you can move and shoot without penalty, greatly increasing your range and threat.

My main want is an army of trees with a lot of fun mobile shooting!
From what this list consists of, I think you will needing to wing most of your tactical choices, and what I mean by that is you won't have a set tactic every game, like run up and charge, such as demons or ogres do. You have enough mobility to kite around, killing off key units from a range, and then charging. And you also have enough combat power to just charge in and rip stuff apart.

So just keep that in mind. Flexibility has always been the best quality of the elves.

smallgreenguy
13-02-2010, 04:14
Many thanks for your response doom. Here is my updated list. What do you think of this? I have 50 points I also don't know where to spend. Although I could drop the deepwood ad bump up my glade guard to 7 wide.

11 glade guard mus 138
11 glade guard mus 138
11 glade guard mus 138

5 glade rider mus 129
5 glade rider mus 129

8 dryad 96
8 dryad 96
8 dryad 96

3 treekin 195
3 treekin 195

treeman ancient 425
Befuddlement, murder, radiants, netlings
spellsinger 125
spellsinger 125
spellsinger 175
Calaingors stave, deepwood (reroll treesings)