PDA

View Full Version : WoC lord or sorcerer

sharky 10
13-02-2010, 15:13
Hi everyone I'm realy stuck what to take at 2000pts either sorcerer mon or a lord with mon could u give me some advice

snottlebocket
13-02-2010, 15:17
Sorcerers are far more versatile. They can start dishing out damage from 24 inches away while a lord wastes part of the battle closing in and then hopes he contacts a target worth killing.

I'd say lv4 all the time unless you're running a dragonlord.

Jack of Blades
13-02-2010, 15:27
Even though the Lord isn't as versatile as a Sorcerer Lord, he's still a character to be reckoned with and isn't nearly as bad an option as the horrible Daemon Prince. If you want to use a Chaos Lord then do so, he's not bad.

Witchblade
13-02-2010, 16:18
I'd say lv4 all the time unless you're running a dragonlord.
Even then the sorceror is often better, but you're right that with MoN a dragon lord is the only worthy competition for a L4.

BigbyWolf
13-02-2010, 17:18
I know a lot of people prefer the Sorcerer, but I just can't stay away from combat lords, whichever race I'm using.

If you go for the Lord with WoC though, he's got to be mounted on a steed or a Dragon...otherwise you've got entirely too many points invested in a M4 model.

Lord of Skulls
13-02-2010, 18:50
I've used a Lord on a Manticore, as a sort of 'budget' dragon, which worked quite well. Though it is a bit more fragile than the dragon, so it needs some finesse to get to work.

Though the best advice for a 2000 pts army is probably to leave both the lord choices out, and use the Exalted champions. You can get two of them with decent equipment for the price of one lord, and they are still a match for most enemy lord choices.

BigbyWolf
13-02-2010, 19:01
I've used a Lord on a Manticore, as a sort of 'budget' dragon, which worked quite well. Though it is a bit more fragile than the dragon, so it needs some finesse to get to work.

Though the best advice for a 2000 pts army is probably to leave both the lord choices out, and use the Exalted champions. You can get two of them with decent equipment for the price of one lord, and they are still a match for most enemy lord choices.

I used to think that, but found on a couple of occasions that if I needed someone to take on opposing lords in combat, they didn't always do too well.

I don't even use an OTT combat lord, preferring the FoB, AoD combo recently...although lately he has been kicking around on a dragon, and that makes up for a lack of Runesword.

Edit: But in hindsight sitting him on a 360 point mass of scale and muscle is a bit OTT combatwise, even so, when he was on his horse the combo still worked well enough...the extra wound, in my opinion, is very useful.

tarrym
13-02-2010, 19:16
I have a lord mounted on steed of slaanesh and uses the Hellfire Sword (Magical, Flaming attacks that do D3+1 wounds each) and Enchanted shield...his first outing was a disaster* but I still think there is merit in this build.

* = he charged a varghulf, got +1 attack from a warshrine in the shooting phase. So rolled his 6 attacks hitting on 3's and got 2 hits....then failed to wound with both!

Avian
13-02-2010, 21:54
I'm currently putting my finishing touches to my Chaos Lord on Disc and after a year of nothing but a Sorcerer general I think I'll try going with a fighter for a while and see how that turns out. :)

Jack of Blades
13-02-2010, 22:20
I'm currently putting my finishing touches to my Chaos Lord on Disc and after a year of nothing but a Sorcerer general I think I'll try going with a fighter for a while and see how that turns out. :)

Mind making some battle reports or something? I'm curious to see how a WoC army that doesn't run a Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord with a bunch of cavalry plays out ;). What kind of setup will you be running?

Warp-Juicer
14-02-2010, 06:51

I've been pondering a Flying Hero List for WOC, involving fighty characters on Discs. >...>

Djekar
14-02-2010, 07:23
I think the Sorc Lord is by far the better choice, especially because he's about as competent as an "mere mortal" hero in terms of combat potential. Give him a cheap magic weapon to go with those casty-doomy-spellflingy items and you won't have to worry too much about him seeing combat. Plus a lot of the spells from the Lores of the Gods don't require LoS, so combat is even more of a moot point.

That being said, I usually bring a Lord. Much like BigbyWolf I can't seem to stay away from the fighter types - hell it's why I play the armies that I do. Then I also usually play in 3500 point games, so I've got the extra slot. YMMV.

Dvnjhn
14-02-2010, 09:06
Khorne lord on a jugger usually works quite well with me, put him in a unit of warhounds to soak up any shooting magic. When you want to attack with him charge him out of the unit, but try to support him with knights or a giant (or two).

Even putting him in a unit of four Drag ogres.

Just watch out for being bated.

Avian
14-02-2010, 09:41
Mind making some battle reports or something? I'm curious to see how a WoC army that doesn't run a Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord with a bunch of cavalry plays out ;). What kind of setup will you be running?
There is a good chance of a battle report next week sometime. :) I haven't decided on a setup yet, but my thinking was Lord/BSB/Sorcerer, all on Discs, and then my usual unit setup. Not sure on items and whatnot, but the Daemonsword is strangely alluring.