PDA

View Full Version : Awesomeness of WFB

Jind_Singh
14-02-2010, 04:31
What a great hobby we're in! I go to my local store 1-2 times a week to play games, hang out, and by now I know pretty much all the local crowd. I even used to work there to for a short spell (3 months) and got to know a lot of other hobby fans, and as a result got into 40k and WOTR.

But it's days like today that really shine out for me - and are days to treasure and remember.

I remember last Novemeber I asked our local store manager why can't we have a fantasy doubles tournament - so he did just that! He set it up to celebrate the Beastman release, as there was already a singles coming up and some 40k ones.

And today was that day...I stayed up all night on Friday (yesterday) to paint my army - and finished it at 8am! slept for an hour, picked up my doubles partner and we headed out for a quick hot choclate before the day began.

Now we're played in many tournaments at our store, and we get decent attendances - e.g. we had 10 people for a 1500pt singles last year.

So imagine my suprise when I walked in and saw TEN tables set up, THIRTY SIX players! I knew maybe a third of them, walked around all day - meet some great people today, and was very pleased by the day.

In additon it helped that we won our 1st ever tournament!!! But that aside, it was an epic day. We purposely took our most relaxed armies today (collectivly we have DoC, WoC, Boastman, Empire, OK, Skaven, Dwaves) our all time favourites - the Orcs and Goblins, were I was pure Gobbos and he was pure Orcs. Our reason was we just wanted to enjoy the day, have fun playing new people, and not focus on the win, but on the experiance and flavour of the day.

So imagine our suprise as the day went on we got 2 wins, 1 draw, were voted best sportsmans by ALL THREE of our opponents, and the fact we BOTH stayed up all night to paint our armies meant full points for painting too!

Infact we collected all but 2 points for a maximum score today! And that was just a shocking suprise as we didnt think it was possible as there were some CRAZY players and lists - espec as we didnt go in expecting anything!

But the biggest take-away today??

Been in the hobby since I was 16, now turning 33, and its still going strong as the core of the hobby is great people & good times - and the chance to smash peoples faces with all Goblin armies!!!!!

Long live our wonderful way of life!!

Jind_Singh
14-02-2010, 04:35
FYI - heres some quick details of our day for those interested!

I took a pure 1000pt pure Goblin army, and my mate took 1000pts of pure Orcs.

I had:

Night Goblin on giant squig, martogs best basha, brimstone baulble, light arm and shld
Level 2 Night goblin shaman staff of badum, mushrooms
5 Spider riders
5 Spider Riders
5 Wolf Riders
30 Night Goblin Spears, netters, full command, 1 fantatic
20 Night Goblin Archers, musician, 1 fanatic
5 Squig Hoppers
2 Spear Chuckas
2 Snottling Pump Wagons

Orc Big Boss, = akrit axe, spitefull shld, boar, light armour
Level 2 orc shaman, staff of badum, paint
25 Orc boyz, full command, shields
20 Savage orc boyz, additional choppas, full command
Orc Boar Chariot
6 Orc boar boy big uns, war bannor, full command

The 1st game we faced Dwarves & dark Elves - we totally dominated and romped over them, they ran a pretty hard list but due to terrian i was able to maul BOTH armies with just my 1000pts - the orcs just sat back and shouted with glee! Victory!

The 2nd game was v's Empire & Warriors (gunline with infantary of chaos), and we had some typical orcy bad luck turn 3 - we fought back hard though and got a draw from the game - had it gone to last turn we'd have won!

Last game was a teeter-totter (or see-saw) v's Dark Evles & Bretonians - Literally there must have been half a dozen pivotial moments were both sides could have crushed the other but luck would hold them back. It was a crushing victory to us in the end! :eek:

We won:

1) Best sportsman - all 3 players voted for us!
2) Best painted (well the level of painting wasn't high but I had a very uniformed look to the army, it was a varied horde but there were cool tricks I used to tie the units together.
3) Winners of the tourny!

Each win = 5 pts, max paint score = 5 pts per army, and then 3pts for each best sport - we were just TWO points short of claiming all the available points!

M. Armand
14-02-2010, 04:39
That's pretty awesome! I plan on running uber-competitive lists for my Empire and this gives me hope that you don't have to be a huge min-maxer when it comes to army composition to win. Congratulations!

Kalandros
14-02-2010, 04:42
Hah that's amazing, glad you enjoyed yourself there, that's what the game side of the hobby is all about.

Also, I dominated a small local tournament as well (14 players since we can only fit 7 tables) with my Orcs&Goblins army, a mixed horde.
I was the highest on army composition score, and since my army was entirely painted + display case I got full painting points and max sportsmanship score before votes. Won Best Overall but also had highest Generalship points.

Greenskins can be surprising, especially with the armies I faced: VC, Lizardmen, VC.. ugh. But I won, big! ;D

So to our victories:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

Sygerrik
14-02-2010, 05:32
You're making me super depressed. I haven't played a game of Fantasy in more than three weeks because nobody seems to play it around here. I can only make it into the store once or twice a week; recently there's been a snow emergency and a gas leak at the mall where my FLGS is, so I missed those days. I am desperate to play a game with my Skaven, but the past 4-5 times I've brought them in they've gone unchallenged.

Lord Inquisitor
14-02-2010, 05:38
Are posts like these even allowed on Whineseer? :p

Good for you. Doubles tournaments can be heaps of fun and its great to hear a positive tournament experience. Even if you did have to win with such a cheesy army :cheese::D

Jind_Singh
14-02-2010, 05:47
Are posts like these even allowed on Whineseer? :p

Good for you. Doubles tournaments can be heaps of fun and its great to hear a positive tournament experience. Even if you did have to win with such a cheesy army :cheese::D

lol, whine seer! thats funny. And yeah, we did have to :cheese:out big time!! We had the biggest and cheese grins all day! oh, and I was wearing my squig hopper t-shirt!

Yeah, tournaments are awesome as it's not about '"Hulk Smash"

Actually the other thing I like about WFB is the massive imbalance between armies. Lots see this as super-super bad - I love it! It means that there will always be a place for a player to turn to when he's looking to challange himself (or herself).

My next move is now that I've seen more and more that O & G can cut the mustard (when the occasion demands...sometimes...kinda sorta) I really want to get my head around the Ogre Kingdoms - I had a brief love affair for them last winter but lost my way - I want to dust them off and try to put 2500 for the next big one end of the month (one that was advertized in white dwarf)

Long live imbalance!

Alathir
14-02-2010, 06:38
Glad to hear it, there aren't enough posts like this around Warseer.

Condottiere
14-02-2010, 08:10
There's usually a different atmosphere for Doubles games; you don't focus so much on yourself and have to interact, and winning becomes a bonus. Also, the reason there's less tension is also because the partner's army is usually selected to balance out deficits in your own, making it possible for all phases to be used.

hawo0313
14-02-2010, 08:16
Great thread. Ss for my day I just finished my librarian and with the tutelige of the staff he looks great. Makes all the effort worth it!!

Bodysnatcher
14-02-2010, 08:27
Just pulled a win in a mini-doubles tournament myself. Tzeentch daemons and goblins - hilarity ensues.

Angry Lawyer
14-02-2010, 09:35
Last time I did a doubles, it was me with old Beasts of Chaos and my brother with his Orcs.

The only points we had at the end of it were sportsmanship points. Quadruple massacred.

-Angry Lawyer

Vermin-thing
14-02-2010, 09:56
Hey Jind!

The tournament was a blast, although me and my partner suffered from horrid rolling in to many cases, as well as a bottle neck in the first game.

Even though we lost all three games, of one was very close, we managed to have a good time doing it.

I as you know was playing all Slaanesh Warriors of chaos, with a dwarf hammerer/gunline.

The first game was against HE, and DE :D, and that went down the drain fast as there was to much terrain on the table. Wish I play'd WEs. (not)

The close second game was Vs. 2! lizard players. Really fun, and really close, it came down to 2 break tests at the end, which they passed on three dice.

Number three was Vs. a Skaven player and the new Beastmen. The Gorbull had gotten regeneration from a previous game, and just cleaned our clocks. 15 or so attacks at the end of the game! This was also close, but less so than the second game.

It stinks that I wasn't able to get all my stuff painted in time but at least I got one MINO done.

Jind_Singh
14-02-2010, 19:06
Number three was Vs. a Skaven player and the new Beastmen. The Gorbull had gotten regeneration from a previous game, and just cleaned our clocks. 15 or so attacks at the end of the game! This was also close, but less so than the second game

Wow thats a lot of attacks!!! Horid!

What I really liked was the bickering between me and my partner - he played the Orc army and I was Goblins - we'd confer about what we were planning to do with our armies before the game started - then we'd just leave each other alone and just go do it.

BUT even though he openly admits I'm a stronger player, he'll refuse to listen to me on the grounds that he's an Orc and I'm just a girly Goblin - EVEN if the advice is good!

e.g.

Game 2 - his boar boyz were deployed extreme right. The enemy was extreme left. My gobbos were centre - so I would have to face the combined forces of hell by myself.
I nicely asked him if he'd mind deploying his warboss in the unit of 25 orcs who were in the center - that way we'd all benifit from his ld8. I knew this would be critical as there were fear causers AND volley gun, AND missile troops, AND pistoliers on my flank - and I knew that with ld 5 it would be messy times.

What happened?

1st turn my spiders ran away - we needed them there to hold back the enemy from advancing on our flank.
My 30 Night Goblins fell to a panic check and ran, killing the hidden fanatic that we wanted to launch at 15 freznied Khorne Chaos warriors, and the same unit was our tarpit unit to hold back the enemy, giving us enough time to bring our forces out in the open.

I gave him the 'told you so' look, we went from thinking we were going to smash the enemy to peices to 'uh oh'. As a result we kept bickering - I kept saying 'told you so' he kept saying '**** off'! It was funny as the following turn FIVE ouf our units failed animosity, so we then decided to make up and be friends again - no units suffereed from animosity rest of the game!

2nd turn - his warboss (very meekly) trotted 14" to the centre of the battleline and acted as he had been there all along. When I noticed the move his only comment was:

"I just had a wicked idea - my warboss is gonna stays ere just incase you need his ld."

AS IF IT WAS HIS IDEA ALL ALONG! Needless to say the units never rallied and I lost 20% of my army right there, and the game became a close fought battle were we grinded out a draw - and good times were had by all!

badgeraddict
14-02-2010, 19:45
It is good to read that someone else is enjoying the hobby as much as I do!

Stories like this always make me smile. Which is always welcome on Warseer. :)

GodlessM
14-02-2010, 19:50
Man oh man I wish we had that many plyers around. We'll get a large amount maybe twice a year at big events but thats it. Other than that you'd e lucky to get 4 or 5.

badgeraddict
14-02-2010, 19:53
We get about the same number (4-5) at our club playing Fantasy, and the same number playing 40K or misc games.

The club is holding a meeting about joining the GCN which would bring in plenty more players.

Which is always good!

Gork or Possibly Mork
14-02-2010, 19:59
What I really liked was the bickering between me and my partner - he played the Orc army and I was Goblins - we'd confer about what we were planning to do with our armies before the game started - then we'd just leave each other alone and just go do it.

BUT even though he openly admits I'm a stronger player, he'll refuse to listen to me on the grounds that he's an Orc and I'm just a girly Goblin - EVEN if the advice is good!

e.g.

Game 2 - his boar boyz were deployed extreme right. The enemy was extreme left. My gobbos were centre - so I would have to face the combined forces of hell by myself.
I nicely asked him if he'd mind deploying his warboss in the unit of 25 orcs who were in the center - that way we'd all benifit from his ld8. I knew this would be critical as there were fear causers AND volley gun, AND missile troops, AND pistoliers on my flank - and I knew that with ld 5 it would be messy times.

What happened?

1st turn my spiders ran away - we needed them there to hold back the enemy from advancing on our flank.
My 30 Night Goblins fell to a panic check and ran, killing the hidden fanatic that we wanted to launch at 15 freznied Khorne Chaos warriors, and the same unit was our tarpit unit to hold back the enemy, giving us enough time to bring our forces out in the open.

I gave him the 'told you so' look, we went from thinking we were going to smash the enemy to peices to 'uh oh'. As a result we kept bickering - I kept saying 'told you so' he kept saying '**** off'! It was funny as the following turn FIVE ouf our units failed animosity, so we then decided to make up and be friends again - no units suffereed from animosity rest of the game!

2nd turn - his warboss (very meekly) trotted 14" to the centre of the battleline and acted as he had been there all along. When I noticed the move his only comment was:

"I just had a wicked idea - my warboss is gonna stays ere just incase you need his ld."

AS IF IT WAS HIS IDEA ALL ALONG! Needless to say the units never rallied and I lost 20% of my army right there, and the game became a close fought battle were we grinded out a draw - and good times were had by all!

True OnG spirit there and looks like Goblins are indeed smarter than Orcs. lol

Toshiro
14-02-2010, 22:24
a great change of pace, love to read these kinds of posts here :D

GodlessM
14-02-2010, 22:57
We get about the same number (4-5) at our club playing Fantasy, and the same number playing 40K or misc games.

The club is holding a meeting about joining the GCN which would bring in plenty more players.

Which is always good!

What's GCN if you don't mind me asking???

Lord Inquisitor
14-02-2010, 23:55
Wow thats a lot of attacks!!! Horid!

Heh, reminds me of a series of retorts between myself and my teammate during a (40K) doubles tournament. I was playing Emperor's Children (Chaos Marines) and he had Guard (traitor guard, obviously).

Me: "Move your guardsmen there to cut off his space marines."
Him: "Um, they're never going to be able to take them on!"
Me: "Doesn't matter, I've got the objective, you just need to slow him down."
Him: "But my men are going to die!"
Me: "Their lives are of no consequence, the survival of my troops is all that matters! Get out there and die like guardsmen!"

Good times, we didn't even realise at the time how much we had got into character for our armies. We won that tournie too if I recall correctly, although his guard did suffer for it!

Jind_Singh
15-02-2010, 02:53
Its funny that you say that about your doubles! During our day yesterday pretty much without fail my army would be on the verge of being wiped out - he'd be sitting pretty with his Orc boyz and smile!

But game 3 was epic! His boar boyz big un's (inc his warboss) were hit by a spell were you have to make a str test or die - and any wound = panic. All his boar boyz passed but his boss took a wound - and he epically failed the ld test! He than rolled SIXTEEN for his flee move, bouncing through Savage Orcs, 25 orcs, chariot.

Orc Boyz = FAILED and also ran
Orc Boar Chariot = FAILED and also ran

My 30 Night Goblin Spears with leadership FOUR (due to the armywide -1 to ld modifier) PASSED their test, flank charged Knights of the Relam inc their BSB, and beat them - even though they had no rank bonus thanks to the Bretonian BSB magic standard!

My partner was pretty peeved that my Gobbos were out punching his orcs all day! In all three games people were chanting 'Gobbos for the win' as 9 times out of 10 the Gobbos were tearing things apart!

Speaking of gobbos tearing things apart....

First game - Spider Riders in woods facing a cold one chariot - they roll a 6 for animosity, rolled another 5 and charged the chariot. Caused no wounds, got 3 Riders killed, broke from combat - Chariot HAD to purse and smashed into the woods - doing FIVE wounds to itself! It was so funny!

Second Game - Night Goblin Big Boss on giant squig was only model between my armys weak and exposed flanks - on which 3 Chao Ogres with additional hw and makr of Khorne were running towards. He managed to roll stupidly high and bounced into them!
I did four wounds! The remaining Ogres piled into my character, killing him outright, and I then caused FIVE wounds as he died thanks to the Brimstone Bauble! To make matters worse the Squig failed his ld test to the monstor reaction test and became FRENZIED and gained HATRED as a result! He overan into 20 Empire Swordsman bunkering the Warrior Priest General - who he slayed - gaining me 110 VP for the kill and another 100 VP for killing enemy general! That allowed us to pull the draw out the hat!!!

Third game

Our left flank was in deep do-do. We had 2 spear chuckas on a hill with shaman, 20 NG Archers and 5 wolf riders. They had 9 Knights of the relam. I advanced the Wolf Riders forwards as I didnt know Brets ignore barding (Never ever played them before despite how long I've been in the hobby). The extra 2 inches meant they were in charge range, and if I fled I'd pretty much flee through the 2 warmachines and shaman - who all have ld 5!
My heart sank when he measured and found them to be in range - and so he advanced. My heart was in my mouth as he closed the distance - I was praying to Mork AND Gork that he'd pass by the NG archers on the way in......

He did!

I shouted stop, unleased my single fanatic - I needed at least an 8 on 2D6! I rolled 9! I then did five wounds, 3 Knights died, and he subsequently FAILED his panic test and ran! Holy Gorka Morka! With that single fanatic we stopped our flank from collapsing, and were able to apply pressure to the 30 Dark Elf crossbows on a hill - the shaman joined the archers and they shot arrows and spells at them all game long!

:D GOBLINS! GOBLINS FOR THE WIN!

Vermin-thing
16-02-2010, 05:46
Sounds really fun!

I took away more than I came with even though I didn't win at all. I think that with the tournament I've perfected my army to a maximum.

I cut out the combat character, and add a few tools to the level 2

I dropped the nurgle warriors, and added 10 more Slaanesh warriors to the block aswell.

I army went like so:

Level two on boob snake.

10 marauders, mark of Slaanesh, flails, champion
20 warriors, mark of Slaanesh, shields, champion, musician.
5 marauder horsemen, mark of Slaanesh, throwing spears, musician.

3 ogres, mark of Slaanesh, chaos armor, great weapons.

Warshrine, mark of Slaanesh.

Anvilbrow
16-02-2010, 07:38
This reminds me of, well me.

At the first Vegas GT, my partner and I played Empire (me) and Tomb Kings (he). In one of our games, I had such great plans for the shooting phase that I simply began declaring fire and rolling with the opponent whose miodels I was shooting at. My patrtner (Tomb Kings-remember?) turns to me with a total:wtf: face and says simply "Magic?" Oops. We wnt on to have a great time though and he conveniently managed to forget that my troops actually suffered from psychology when setting up moves and such.

Than in the last LVGT, we got our @#$% together and won all three of our games, but more importantly were voted Best Sportsmen for the tournament by all three of our opponents and we took home the gold (acrylic actually).

Doubles adds a fun element to the game, no doubt about that.