PDA

View Full Version : Dr.who, latest episode

plasmadaemon
22-05-2005, 11:38
Thanks, now i will be scared all my life.
:mad:
Having lifeless people stalking in ww2 wearing gas marks is a bit too freaky for dr.who. :eek:
This episode reminds me of moments half-life/spawn/the fly and return to castle wolfenstein and all the nazi horror stuff.

not fu nny :cries:

TheHood
22-05-2005, 11:51
Heh,

Dr Who is living up to it's original billing then.

It isn't over here in New Zealand yet, but I still remember my Mum telling me that she was a huge fan of it when she was a girl but was so scared that she watched it behind the couch.

Watching it now it isn't scary but perhaps this new series brings back some of the horror that our parents went through whilst watching it of old.

Either that or you are just a big scardy cat :D

Cheesejoff
22-05-2005, 11:58
It was kind of creepy but not really out and out scary. The scariest bit was when the gas mask came out the guys mouth and fused onto his skin.

plasmadaemon
22-05-2005, 12:00
nah, it's just that gas masks+lifeless zombies+ night-time+ WW2+ mental hospitals = one scared me.

Grimtuff
22-05-2005, 12:02
it was quite creepy to watch, Gas Masks welded to their faces :eek: the creepy thing was they constantly reminded me of Kroenen from Hellboy, so I was thinking they probably look similar to him under his mask

It must be the whole thing with the mask though, I mean Darth Vader, Kroenen, King Baldwin (from Kingdom of Heaven) we have examples of how disfigured those people look under their masks, so as the connations of a character in a masks are there from popular culture we can only imagine what the look like underneath the masks

ahh, the old cliche of there is nothing scarier than what your imagination can create.

Frodo34x
22-05-2005, 12:34
When people talk about when they used to watch Doctor Who, they say the used to hide behind their couches.

Did everyone have their couches in the middle of the rooms back then?

Rabid Bunny 666
22-05-2005, 12:41
i was at a fare when i was 5 and i saw a dalek and burst into tears

i also offered the fat cnotroller a crisp

kinda freaky, but the "mummy" thing added to the creepiness factor

Odin
22-05-2005, 13:07
Best episode of the new series so far. Really creepy, and pretty original. Whoever wrote that episode should be in charge of the next series.

Cheesejoff
22-05-2005, 13:23
It must be the whole thing with the mask though, I mean Darth Vader, Kroenen, King Baldwin (from Kingdom of Heaven) we have examples of how disfigured those people look under their masks, so as the connations of a character in a masks are there from popular culture we can only imagine what the look like underneath the masks

Don't forget Balthasar Gelt from Warhammer!

de Selby
22-05-2005, 14:33
Best episode of the new series so far. Really creepy, and pretty original. Whoever wrote that episode should be in charge of the next series.

I believe it's all the responsibility of the very fashionable Russel T Davies.

I did find the gas-masked creatures distinctly disturbing. My guess is that the transformation scene in particular will have found its way into many kiddies nightmares last night, which is exactly how it should be.

The only problem is that everything will doubtless be Sci-fi rationalised next week. That kind of stuff is much scarier when it makes no sense at all, which is something that horror movie makers in the far east seem to have worked out.

Anyway... personally, I think biological and chemical warfare suits are definitely one of the signs of the apocalypse. Seeing medical personnel on TV in suits at overpressure (obliterates the human form and makes them look like either soft toys in gas masks or maybe Death Guard marines, depending on your viewpoint) makes me shiver.

Ethereal Alpaca
22-05-2005, 14:41
It wasn't outright scary, but it sure was creepy. And the scene where Richard Wilson's face transformed to a gas mask. :eek:

I think the whole episode could have done without the time agent and all that crap. That just put a crimp on it for me.

The only problem is that everything will doubtless be Sci-fi rationalised next week. That kind of stuff is much scarier when it makes no sense at all, which is something that horror movie makers in the far east seem to have worked out.

Ditto. I always found it annoying when they tried to explain it all away with vague, scientific explanations. All the best episodes (to name a couple The Daemons, and The Greates Show in the Galaxy, one of Sylvester Mccoy's only good episodes IMO) are the ones where they've made little or no attempt to explain, and just said "Screw rationality. Lets just do a good show."

Kohhna
22-05-2005, 14:57
It wasn't outright scary, but it sure was creepy. And the scene where Richard Wilson's face transformed to a gas mask. :eek:

Yeah though it would have been quite funny if while he was changing he shouted "I don't bloody belive it!".

Heres hoping next week isn't a let-down. I thought the part 2 of the Sleen episode didn't quite live up to part one.

Still, for this serise, best episode yet.
Now where's my 9 year old cousins phone number so I can call her up and say "Mummy Mummy, are you my Mummy?", down the phone at her?

Baggers
22-05-2005, 15:48
Yes I thought the latest episode was very atmospheric and very well written by Steve Moffart who was the genius behind Coupling if you remember. However he is not writing an episode or two for the next season.

Oh by the way Billie Piper is leaving during the next season as well.

neXus6
22-05-2005, 16:45
I've have to agree with everyone, from what little I have seen of the new Dr Who this was the only one that was true to the old ones (if you ignore that con-man crap).

If the scene "torturing" the dalek was deemed "unsuitable for young kids", :wtf:, I can't imagine what they will say about Richard Wilson's transformation. :p

I really do hope they don't ruin it in part two, this is the first time I've actually wanted to see an episode of the new series, aside from these two and when the dalek went on it's killing spree there hasn't been much worth watching.

Forgotmytea
22-05-2005, 17:22
Yeah, this is how Dr. Who should be. Scary, yet you want to keep watching. I agree with Nexus, imagine what the parents are going to say about this if their kids were scared on the Dalek and zombie ones... :wtf: :p. I

Those gas mask empty children are really starting to make me worry about sleeping now *locks door* :D

BTW, anyone know a good site to get the Dr Who theme in mp3/wav/etc format? :confused:

Wintermute
22-05-2005, 19:41
I thought it was a superb episode with a good script.

I bet the BBC complaints switchboard lit up after Richard Wilson's face transformed into a gas mask. :D

Oh by the way Billie Piper is leaving during the next season as well.

Is she :wtf:

Where did you hear that Baggers?

Brimstone
22-05-2005, 19:50
I bet the BBC complaints switchboard lit up after Richard Wilson's face transformed into a gas mask. :D

They actually cut out the sound of his skull cracking to make it less scary.

BBC story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4557853.stm)

Edit - I was in a supermarket the other day and saw some kids doing dalek impressions while being pushed around in a trolley by their mum, great stuff and good to see them back in the limelight again.

neXus6
22-05-2005, 20:26
LoL, so that explains the "censorship" thing.

As for the DVD being a 12 because of the Dalek torture...Isn't Transformers: The Movie a PG now (a U when it was released on video) and it has the attack on the shuttle where characters get bloody big chunks blown out of them and they rather obviously die.
Hmm...ah well if that's what they think requires a 12 rating these days.

Spider
22-05-2005, 21:20
It was a good episode...just what Dr Who should be.

It has the scary formula just right...children=scary. Gas masks=scary. Undead children wearing gas masks! :eek:

Very good.

Baggers
22-05-2005, 22:45
Is she :wtf:

Where did you hear that Baggers?

Well if you read Outpost Gallifrey (and if so why?) it is quoted that in the Dreamwatch mag her agent confirms she is leaving. She will be staring in at least 3 and a maximum of 7 episodes of the new season though. How real this is I am not sure but from prodding various people who know about such things it is looking like it is true.

I am putting forward Samantha Bowie as the new companion if your intrested though.

Baggers.

EDIT: This is yet as unconfirmed so treat it as a bit of salt.

Minister
23-05-2005, 00:38
Not to mention my infamous plan to make The Armatige Horror a Uc due to its educational value...

What? It's an abject lesson in what not to do if you find yourself in a haunted house. You leave immediatley, possibly torching it for the insurance money and seeding the ashes with salt and holy water.

neXus6
23-05-2005, 00:42
Oh if only they had taught such lessons when I was a kid, the years of counciling and sleepless nights that would have been avoided. I knew to run away from Decepticons in Movies cause they learn how to shoot, but noone ever told me how to deal with the haunted house. :cries:

:D

Kargos Bloodspit
23-05-2005, 01:20
I believe it's all the responsibility of the very fashionable Russel T Davies.

Nope, it was Steven Moffat:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436992/fullcredits

Seriously, thats been the most creepiest episode this series. very nice.

Wintermute
23-05-2005, 07:33
Well if you read Outpost Gallifrey (and if so why?) it is quoted that in the Dreamwatch mag her agent confirms she is leaving. She will be staring in at least 3 and a maximum of 7 episodes of the new season though. How real this is I am not sure but from prodding various people who know about such things it is looking like it is true.

I am putting forward Samantha Bowie as the new companion if your intrested though.

Baggers.

EDIT: This is yet as unconfirmed so treat it as a bit of salt.

And its on the front page of the Daily Star this morning so it must be true :rolleyes:

Jedi152
23-05-2005, 09:03
I think the whole episode could have done without the time agent and all that crap. That just put a crimp on it for me.
If you mean captain Jack, get used to it - he's in the rest of the series.

I personally liked him when it turned out he was a conman and not just some sleazy american.

All in all, a good episode. Can't wait for next weeks!

Cheesejoff
23-05-2005, 11:44
I personally liked him when it turned out he was a conman and not just some sleazy american.

What's the difference? Anyway, note the Americans seem to be portrayed badly...we had the millionare in the dalek episode who was greedy and ruthless, and no we have an American who is a conman...

venusianfurs
23-05-2005, 13:26
and very well written by Stephen Moffart, who was the genius behind Coupling if you remember Yes - genius isn't the word I'd use.

That kind of stuff is much scarier when it makes no sense at all, which is something that horror movie makers in the far east seem to have worked out. Are you referring to anything in particular there?

de Selby
23-05-2005, 14:55
Steve Moffat

My mistake.

Venusianfurs (great username by the way): I suppose I was thinking of something like 'The Eye'. A blind woman has a cornea transplant which gives her the ability to see things from the future and warn people about terrible events (generally a thankless task). It also gives her the ability to see a variety of ghosts and bizarre apparitions, including a rotating old man in an elevator (with leathery squashed looking head) and a spectral woman with a very long tongue who licks slabs of meat. Not strictly explained by the end of the film, but freakish and scary as all hell.

Sadako also defies rationalization. Towards the end of the 'The Ring', our heroes climb down a well in the middle of the night to find her corpse and lay it to rest. Rather unexpectedly, they survive and 'succeed'. But it makes no difference and people continue to die horribly at her vengeful hands.

I suppose wht I'm saying is that the supernatural is horrific because it defies natural law. If new laws that can be uncovered allowing the supernatural to be explained and controlled, it ceases to be so terrifying....

[/thesis]

TheSonOfAbbadon
23-05-2005, 15:03
I agree with de Selby that random=scary. Especially in 'The Ring'.

plasmadaemon
23-05-2005, 16:07
i swear, if in the next episode we find out that the people are being controlled by something, i'm going to kill everyone. :realmad:

TheSonOfAbbadon
23-05-2005, 16:21
It's doctor who, everyones controlled by something, Daleks, Plastic Manakin People Of Doom, those people with the holes in their skulls.

plasmadaemon
23-05-2005, 16:52
grrrrrrr, lets hope not. :mad:

Baggers
23-05-2005, 18:53
Well if you look at it, they are all controlled by the desire to get one thing. Mummy.