PDA

View Full Version : Proxying with similar unit types?

Haravikk
15-02-2010, 12:42
This is more of a tournament rules question, so I'm more just wondering in a general sense what most tournaments would allow.

Anyway, basically now that my Dwarfs are mostly complete, I'm looking at starting a Skaven army, however I'm not a big fan of the Rat Ogre or Vermin Lord models, I do however really like the new Beastmen Minotaur set and Doom Bull model but dislike the rest of their army's models.

I'm just wondering if many tournaments would allow the use of Minotaurs instead of Rat Ogres, since they're the same basic unit "type", and fluff-wise they're easily enough explained (some enterprising pack-masters managed to tame/coerce some minotaurs). Likewise a Doom Bull is similar in basic theme to the Vermin Lord, but IMO looks far more awesome. Though I dunno why Skaven warranted the addition of a demon or super chaos-spawn, so I'm still undecided if I'd ever field a Vermin Lord, as I want my ratty army ratty :)
The only thing that may throw out the Doom Bull (aside from being a different army) is the size of base, the Vermin Lord doesn't specify if it's a 50mm x 50mm base on the web-site?

Not that I participate in that many tournaments, I'm asking mainly for future reference in case I need to have back-up Skaven models anyway and just pull out the Minotaurs and Doom Bull for friendly games.

EldarBishop
15-02-2010, 12:51
I wouldn't see any issue with using Minotaurs as Rat Ogres... seems a perfectly reasonable "counts as" to me.

T10
15-02-2010, 13:27
On behalf of 90% of the people you are ever going to be playing against: You have permission.

-T10

Milgram
15-02-2010, 19:53
the funny thing is, that around here nobody likes the design of the new minotaurs...

but basically it is ok even on a tournament - as long as the army has a cohesive look.

also it is important to many that you do not proxy them because you also play beastmen and you're too lazy to get rat ogres. but this seems not to be the case here.

Haravikk
15-02-2010, 21:32
Well, I may always branch out into Beastmen in future, but if I did I'd make a point of having the correct models for each army by that time, as I generally grow one army before I move on to another.

the funny thing is, that around here nobody likes the design of the new minotaurs...
Heh, I seem to have the opposite viewpoint with regards to Beastmen; I don't really like the Gors etc. Personally I feel a lot of the heads look too "monkey like", I dunno what the range of heads is like in the kit, or how many you get? If the range of options is good it's possible I could build some units I'd like better. Bestigors look great though, but then they're not a core unit.

With the Minotaurs they've struck that awesome bestial look, that said I'm not a fan of the colour-scheme you see most of on the site, where they're much too cream-coloured, which makes them appear "chunky", but the example with weapon and shield (https://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m890101a_99120216004_BeastmenMinotaursAdd3_445x319 .jpg) shows just what I'd be aiming for. I may even end up getting a set before the Skaven army, just because I want to have a go at painting them :)