PDA

View Full Version : Missions for more than 2 armies?

radkins
15-02-2010, 20:28
Hello all. A couple of my friends and I are meeting this Friday. Since there's 3 of us, we thought it would be cool to try a 3 way battle. This would eliminate one of standing by watching the others play. The basic missions in the rulebook don't look all that friendly to play for more than 2 forces. Anyone have any suggestions for scenarios with 3 or more armies?

Bunnahabhain
15-02-2010, 20:33
Big table
Objectives.
Turns are randomised
Combat only happens if the player who's turn it is has models in that combat

Or just 2 vs 1, if you can make the army sizes work.

Vampiric16
15-02-2010, 20:41
Carnage: single objective in the centre of the table, whoever controls it on the last turn (random game length) wins.

Nicha11
15-02-2010, 20:42
Kill Points:

Kill points are scored against each opposing army.
Your score is the lowest you achieve.

i.e if you gang bash Frank and annhilate him (10 Kill Points) but only do minor damage to John (2 Kill Points)

Your final score is 2 kill points.

ntin
15-02-2010, 22:09
An issue with playing with an odd number of players someone always gets sandwiched. 2 on 1 works out a little better than free for all.

Lord Malorne
15-02-2010, 22:14
One player has twice the amount of points as the other 2, play 2vs1.

Or:

Carnage: single objective in the centre of the table, whoever controls it on the last turn (random game length) wins.

Do it, anything else will be a crap, trust me, three ways are hard work for the people involved, lots of sweat and some crying may be involved, it gets really messy.

radkins
15-02-2010, 22:22
Yeah, we're trying to find out a way someone doesn't get double teamed. The different kill points for the seperate armies seems interesting. As well as the objective in the center of the table.

Hoodwink
15-02-2010, 22:45
Why not create a capture and hold point in the spawn area of all 3 players. Go round robin with it. Army A must cap point in B, B in C, and C in A. That way, you must have an equal amount of Offense and Defense.

Maybe for kicks, add another point in the middle as a free-for-all point to cause a tie-breaker so someone can try for 2 points.

Haha that'd be hilarious watching people run around the board :P

Hunger
15-02-2010, 22:56
Had the same problem with my two most regular opponents - time only allows for one game when we meet up, but each time one of us would get mauled so badly by the other two that it was thrown.

Then we tried the exact thing Hoodwink mentioned - your objective is in one of the opponents' DZs plus an extra one in the centre that always ends up in a huge brawl.

We once tried it with 2500pts each on an 8ft diameter circular table too - I highly recommend it (try a bit of floorhammer if you can't make a circle table).

Bunnahabhain
15-02-2010, 23:05
One useful house rule.

Every time a Guard player laughs excessively at hitting combats with Ordnance, chimeras full of flamers etc, they are fined a beer for both the other players.

If you have firepower, and big concentrations of enemies, it is just daft not to combine them.

MasterDecoy
15-02-2010, 23:23
the BRB actually has a 3 way mission in the back (cant cite a page number) but if you have the hardback version its with the other specialest missions.

its called double cross or somthing simmilar from memory.

Commissar Bone
16-02-2010, 00:38
Since most 3 player games turn into 2v1, you could always accept it from the start. Put one force in the middle defending the Alamo and have the other two assaulting from either end of the field.

totgeboren
16-02-2010, 07:21
One could defend in the middle, and the opponents deploy at either short end as Commissar Bone suggested. But the opponents that team up must deploy using Dawn of War rules, and may not enter the table with outflankers within say 18" of any defending unit.

Victory points can be agreed upon in some way that everyone is happy. Like, if you use lots of bunkers, allow the defender 1 VP per turn he has troops in a bunker, but give the attackers 1 pts per destroyed bunker, and 2 pts per turn of having troops inside an enemy bunker. Or some variation of the Planet Strike rules.

Though we often play 1 on 1 on 1. Just set up the terrain in such a way that makes it easier for the ones in the corners to target each other compared to the one near the center. most people will rather attack stuff that they know can attack them, rather than go all out and try to assault someone who isn't a direct threat instead.

radkins
16-02-2010, 19:05
We were actually considering a round table. One of my friends found a scenario online that consisted of real and fake objectives on note cards. You didnt find out whether the objective was real or fake until the end of the battle when you flipped the card over. I like the sound of this. We thinking of using a table divided into 6 sectors with an objective in each. We like how it encourage the armies to try and capture as much as they could because you don't know where the real objectives are. Possibly combine it with the round table and objective in the center as the only known real objective.

Or my orks and my friend's csm could combine forces against the third player's tau.