PDA

View Full Version : What would be a fluffy Black Legion army

FileX
16-02-2010, 03:34
I've been pondering for the last few days about creating a Chaos marine army. But unlike my Nids of eldars, I'd prefer this one to be fluffy, to have a story/background and to be fun and challendging to play (both for me and for my opponent :D). Now I really like the concept of the Black Legion, seeing as it seems to be the only renegade band to have a purpose (I might be wrong here, but my knowledge of chaos is limited, and the codex offers soooo much details about individual legions :rolleyes:). Plus, I love Abaddon.

So, members of warseer, which units would, in your opinions, be most representative of the dreaded Black Legion? Are there any must have in any Legion army and any "don't"? (Just to clarify, I'm not asking here for any must's and don't's that make a competitive force, but too make a fluffy force).

Also does anyone know where I could find some nice fluff on any of the renegade warbands out there? There really isn't much in the present codex I'm afraid :(

Any help is greatly appreciated! Cheers!!!!

Mannimarco
16-02-2010, 03:46
one word: terminators

the black legion follow the motto of "sever the head and the body willl die" in practice this involves terminators deepstriking in and destroying the enemy command however IIRC they also have a style which involves attacking an area then pulling back only to attack another area a short time later before withdrawing then attacking another area somwhere else with ever decreasing periods of time between attacks

in practice this could be done on the table by combining rhino mounted troops and infiltrating chosen to attack seperate areas of the enemy forces while the termys (with or without abby) go after the enemy command

this is tricky to pull off however when done properly your enemy will be completely distracted: does he stop the terminators going after his commander? the chosen who have infiltrated into his lines and blew up a tank (3 special weapons remember) or the rhino mounted troops hitting another part of his line altogether

the black legion themselves seem pretty open to almost any build in the dex so its not uncommon to see lists with khorne berserkers and plague marines fighting alongside chosen painted in the black legion colours, unfortunately the codex has reduced the once proud legions to a bunch of mercenareis happily fighitng alongside everybody (khorne berserkers being led by a lash prince? yeah why the hell not)

however for a pure fluffy black legion list Id probably go for abby himself and some terminators, perhaps a sorcerer to represent yegethmor or zaraphiston

baphomael
16-02-2010, 03:48
I've been pondering for the last few days about creating a Chaos marine army. But unlike my Nids of eldars, I'd prefer this one to be fluffy, to have a story/background and to be fun and challendging to play (both for me and for my opponent :D). Now I really like the concept of the Black Legion, seeing as it seems to be the only renegade band to have a purpose (I might be wrong here, but my knowledge of chaos is limited, and the codex offers soooo much details about individual legions :rolleyes:). Plus, I love Abaddon.

So, members of warseer, which units would, in your opinions, be most representative of the dreaded Black Legion? Are there any must have in any Legion army and any "don't"? (Just to clarify, I'm not asking here for any must's and don't's that make a competitive force, but too make a fluffy force).

Also does anyone know where I could find some nice fluff on any of the renegade warbands out there? There really isn't much in the present codex I'm afraid :(

Any help is greatly appreciated! Cheers!!!!

With Black Legion, anything goes really. Unlike the Cult legions (World Eaters, Emp's Kids, Death Guard at T-Sons), or the doctrine specific legions (the psychological warfare of the Night Lords, or the insurgency work of the Alpha Legion, or the daemonic rituals of the Word Bearers) the Black Legion doesnt have a specific 'theme' - being the largest, and most coherant legion, they have access to a bit of everything.

Thus, there arnt really any 'must haves' or 'must not' units - they have access to them all. While Cult troops (bezerkers, plague marines, noise marines etc) are most associated with the main Cult legions, they are not exclusive to them and the Black Legion has its own. Likewise, they have plenty of those 'outsider' cults like Obliterators and Raptors.

Essentially, Black Legion are a bit like loyalist Codex chapters (a bit like Chaos ultramarines) - the Chaos Marine list has everything you could expect from a Black Legion army, while specific legion themes (e.g World Eaters) are more fluff-specific.

So in short, Black Legion, pretty much, gives you the most choice in making a themed army - because the Black Legion dont have such a specific theme (other than being the broadest, most inclusive, Legion in terms of unit choices).

Get yourself a good foundation of Chaos Undivided troops, with a bit of support from God specific units (eg. berzerkers) in Legion colours and you cant go wrong. Perhaps some Chosen (to represent being the most powerful legion, and the legion of the chaos gods' favourite plaything, Abbaddon), and perhaps some deepstriking terminators (harking back to the Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus speartip tactics).

leadlair
16-02-2010, 03:52
I would go with a large proportion of basic chaos space marines, add some terminators, and some havocs. Stay away from God specific units as they really don't fit in with an all Black Legion force.

In the old fluff the Havocs were considered to be the elite troops in the army.

For my Black Legion army I went with 4 squads of basic chaos space marines, 2 squads of havocs, 2 squads of chosen, 1 squad of raptors, 1 dreadnought, a land raider, and a squad of terminators. Oh and Abbadon of course.

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
16-02-2010, 03:56
Definitively, Terminators. All those you can put in your list.

The Black Legion is a powerful Legion, serving a powerful master (Abaddon), and with powerful weapons (the Boss managed to secure quiet a lot of stuff during the past 10 millenia).
Anything that couls be seen as veterans, even if only by look of the minis.

Et amuse-toi bien avec ces méchants gars en noir!

Mega Nutz
16-02-2010, 09:25
The black legion have recruited a number of berserker surgeons and are equal to the World eaters in this practice so BL berserkers are certainly viable and fluffy!

Other than that I'd go with the standard options! Termies, havoc's chosen and of course Abbie!

TheShadowCow
16-02-2010, 10:25
As stated, Black Legion can have a bit of everything because of their scale and ability to make pacts with the Daemons & Gods of the Warp with relative impunity (short-term at least). Thus your "theme" is going to need to be displayed in a few slightly less conventional ways, as opposed to the usual "this army is nothing but Sternguard, it therefore represents the Crimson Fists *perfectly*!!!" approach.

So what makes the Black Legion the Black Legion?

1) Strong Leadership. The Black Legion maintains it's structure and dominance because of the iron-will of its commanders (and ultimately, Abaddon's control over them). Be it a Chaos Lord, a Daemon Prince or a particularly powerful Sorceror, you need a strong figure to lead your Legion. A little backstory can add something here, detailing who your commander is, how he got where he is and who he is out to destroy (for all the usual Black Legion reasons :p). The Black Legion has a fair few characters listed in its background that don't have models and rules as well - individuals like Zaraphiston and the Four Chosen of Abaddon all make excellent centres for an army.

2) As said previously, the Black Legion have access to some nasty gear and like to use it to bring a swift, brutal end to their opponents. Terminator strikes at enemy leadership, armoured spearheads, Cult units being used where they can excel (rather than just Cult units because that's all you're supposedly allowed to take...).

3) Black Armour. Sounds simple, but the black armour sported by the Legion really ties the whole thing together, especially when you start adding in that unit of Berzerkers or Thousand Sons. Paint them primarily black, and then give their helmets the finishing touches according to what they are. A Black Legion unit of Thousand Sons is actually rather cool to look at. This brings us to...

4) Recruitment. The Black Legion is where it is today because it recruits. It creates renegades and traitors, it absorbs units from other Chaos Legions, it designs new toys (Defilers, etc). This gives you a bit of freedom to both include some of the more exotic units (like those Thousand Sons, or that Noise Marine Sonics unit you really like), and a chance to really get under your opponent's skin. How? Why, go out and buy a box of Space Wolves of course, and paint them up as Space Wolves who's been seduced by Chaos and now march under the colours of your Black Legion. Be sure to point out to your Space Woolf opponent that this is the case, and that this is what awaits the rest of his forces if they don't surrender at once :p In short, do not pigeonhole yourself and think "I can only take the following units" - that's a strategy that chokes the life out of what these forces can be, and ultimately leads us to where we are now with certain lists ("Crimson Fists use nothing but Sternguard, and if you haven't got 30 Sternguard you're not being fluffy!").

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
16-02-2010, 10:34
the Shadow Cow: +1, +2 as far as "provocation minis" (ie: the converted minis that are here to put your opponent in (friendly) rage) is concerned.
I love doing that kind of modeling exercice.

For a WHFB game, I modeled an altar on which a Damsel of the Lake was about to be sacrified, and put it into my Boss chariot...
Of course, it was made for a game vs a Bretonnian player. He decided that he couldn't play the previous scenario, and that we had to change it into a "rescue the Lady" scenario. And that's what we did.
4 years later, we still speak of that game...

Lord of Worms
16-02-2010, 10:38
I converted my Lord of Change to be dangling a "puppet" made of a Space Wolf corpse. Lulz for the whole family!

The_Unforgiven
16-02-2010, 11:34
I'm off the mind a black legion force would in essence still act alot like a luna wolves force...
Spear tip drop pod assaults and terminator deep strikes supported by heavy transports and shock and awe units.
and that black armour should be deeply deeply shaded and ruined white...hmmm...if only i had the time...

FileX
16-02-2010, 13:39
Wow thanks alot everyone!

I'm thrilled that the idea of fielding lots of termies is fluffy for the legion... I like termies (the chaos kind of course, I have no love for those who foulishly waste their lives in service of a false emperor :p).

@shadowcow, I really like the your idea of recruitement, I hadn't thought of that. My friend plays blood angels, with the new dex coming out soon, I think I'm gonna be making myself some khorne zerkers out of black company models :evilgrin:

Some people talked about other champions of the Black Legion (abaddon's 4 chosen for example), I'm intrigued, where could I read up on them (is it in the previous edition codex or in some of the black library books?)

Thank again everyone

Mannimarco
16-02-2010, 13:52
abaddons 4 champions were in the 3.5 dex I believe, there was a one page short story about an assassination team being sent after them but they were expected to fail. I think it was yegethmor, devram korda and 2 un-named champions

theres other snippets dotted about here and there such as yegethmor is a sorcerer who was on medusa (recent worldwide campaign) and is a rival to zaraphiston

these chosen of abaddon probably change quite a lot as according to the vraks series one of his champions is lord zhufor, a forgeworld khornate lord in terminator armour, his rules allow you to take a retinue (thats right folks, chaos lord with retinue, not just standing in a unit) of khornate termys who dont take up an elite slot