PDA

View Full Version : Need help making my friends play more warhammer!

Bladelord
16-02-2010, 18:44
I'm always hungry on battles but everyone I know who plays WFB are slackers... Do you have any tactics how I could make them play more warhammer?:p I'm really fanatical in playing but I've stopped nag them because almost everytime I ask they say NO. I'm not bringing :cheese: lists so that can't be the problem.

willowdark
16-02-2010, 18:55
How about beer? Beer brings a lot of my friends out.

Tauren
16-02-2010, 19:07
May I suggest making new friends?

ShaggothLord
16-02-2010, 21:24
hahaha, I'm having a similar problem, except I can't get them to start! And I cannot entice with beer, I'm 13. :P

Haravikk
16-02-2010, 22:15
hahaha, I'm having a similar problem, except I can't get them to start! And I cannot entice with beer, I'm 13. :P
If you're in a private residence in the UK you can drink from the age of 6 or something silly like that, you just can't buy or drink alcohol in public. Besides, all you 13 year olds these days have been drinking for years! j/k :P

If you're starved for games then get into your local GW store and find out about events, casual tournaments, that kind of thing. Increase your pool of warhammer playing friends and you'll be able to get loads more games!

Korhil-WLC
17-02-2010, 01:24
I'm always hungry on battles but everyone I know who plays WFB are slackers... Do you have any tactics how I could make them play more warhammer?:p I'm really fanatical in playing but I've stopped nag them because almost everytime I ask they say NO. I'm not bringing :cheese: lists so that can't be the problem.

Question their manhood if they dont vs you when you want

JayC707
17-02-2010, 01:30
The problem I could see with this game (I'm new) is for the younger crowd...it's just way too expensive to get into, no denying that.

If you're older like some of us and can afford to get in, it's a matter of getting a strong play group together who will be excited and interested in it on a regular basis.

I suggest using a local card shop as a meeting place, it sets a good environment if they have play tables. You could also try to create a "league" and keep rankings, have prizes, whatever it might be. I suppose tournaments might be a better word, you could do both however.

Good luck!

gaine
17-02-2010, 07:24
If they aren't into the game, it will be difficult. Can you go back to what made them start on the game in the first place, and then use that to reignite their flame for battle?!

good luck!

Kuroi
17-02-2010, 10:19
The problem I could see with this game (I'm new) is for the younger crowd...it's just way too expensive to get into, no denying that.

If you're older like some of us and can afford to get in, it's a matter of getting a strong play group together who will be excited and interested in it on a regular basis.

I suggest using a local card shop as a meeting place, it sets a good environment if they have play tables. You could also try to create a "league" and keep rankings, have prizes, whatever it might be. I suppose tournaments might be a better word, you could do both however.

Good luck!

Lol, have you ever been into a gemes-workshop outlet? You do realize it's filled with kids?

JimtheMagician
18-02-2010, 16:32
I know around me there are several non-GW owned stores that often have pick up games if you could locate one near you. Sometimes I will call a particular GW store to see if anyone there is looking for a game.

I know not all stores are as friendly as the ones I go to, but asking never hurts. Do remember though you can run into some really annoying people looking for pick up games.

if I get 1 more offer to play a Kairos list I'm going to crap in someones army transport.

Dvnjhn
18-02-2010, 16:41
I used to suffer from the same problem. All my mates thought it was either to geeky, or they were to old to play with 'toys'. Thankfully we have gem of a wargames club in the Edinburgh league of Gamers, which has tons of players who are all helpfull with advice and eager to game. I would suggest you see if your area has a club with like minded people, then you will be able to game all you want.

Dvnjhn
18-02-2010, 16:42
[QUOTE=you can run into some really annoying people looking for pick up games.

if I get 1 more offer to play a Kairos list I'm going to crap in someones army transport.[/QUOTE]

What is a Kairos list?

JimtheMagician
18-02-2010, 16:50
Kairos flying circus? Daemons list. I forget the entire list, but it consists of Kairos with blocks of horrors laughing at me during the magic phase. I've played similar lists several times and stopped after not enjoying playing against them.

Now that I think about it that could be a reason why they are also looking for pick up games. or even me for that matter. Though I run a simple skaven horde with no furnace or bell

Bladelord
18-02-2010, 18:34
HAHA If my Daemon playing mate asked me to play a Kairos list I would just laugh, laugh & laugh.. & then say ofcourse I'm going for Dwarves or H. Elves!

Dwarves: 2 Flame Cannons=tons of flaming. Go anti magic with all your Lords & Heroes (Runelord & Runesmiths, BSB with +2 to dispel etc).

High Elves: 2 things to say, 18'' range on Flickering Fire & Dragon Armour...:evilgrin:

beaumontbrawler
18-02-2010, 20:24
Simple . . . hire hookers . . . really, really hot hookers to come keep everyone company. :)

JimtheMagician
18-02-2010, 21:28
Simple . . . hire hookers . . . really, really hot hookers to come keep everyone company. :)

Thats the best idea of all.

Kaos
18-02-2010, 21:47
Its a hard hobby to make people enter into. I have found that people that are "pushed" into it are more or often not in it for very long. It takes something special to sit down and cut..glue, paint, read billions of rules, compose armies, play and enjoy it. And they are often found in places or events that speak for people like this. Tournaments, Clubs, Stores.. so forth.

If you feel crafty then you can assemble armies for everyone to play with perhaps? That way people might get sucked into the hobby over the years to come. You get to do what you like and even play some with your friends and can still go to other places to play too.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps a little.

Cheers-Kaos

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
21-02-2010, 17:37
I feel with you, I'm currently trying to convert some of my friends to the warhammer side of life. The problem with our land(Small ******n' Sweden:)) is that warhammer isn't so common here, and you get the unneeded reputation of being a dork... Which is not so welcome when you're 15...

EDIT: Just realized that my post was pointless.... I would try bribery or challenging them;)

Bladelord
21-02-2010, 17:49
Thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately I can't make them drunk because of some lesser reasons.

Yeah Sweden can be a real pain to live in when you're trying to find opponents to play against. I don't have a problem with my reputation just because I'm playng Warhammer but it's a bit silly that some of my classmates thinks that warhammer are just too expensive to start with it. Well, I'm trying to get my mates who already plays warhammar to do it more than just at tournies & I asked some of them why they didn't want to play warhammer more than they already do:

DoC player: You're cheesy! (for christ sake you're playing daemons!):wtf:

Dwarf player: You're cheesy! plus we don't have enough painted models (you're too fluffy but ok, will change my lists & start painting better):(

WoC player: Your magic+swordmasters crush me, or you just rush in with your lances & it's over! (I can always change my lists):rolleyes:

Dwarf player: I don't have the time. (he's playing WoW 3-4h/day):eyebrows:

gormaster
21-02-2010, 23:18
Check out Mordheim. It`s an awsome game and might get your friends thinking about WH more.

Xzazzarai
22-02-2010, 02:32
Kom ned till Västerås och lira lite! :D

Bladelord
22-02-2010, 08:17
Har vart där på några turneringar & åker dit ibland på helgerna, men känner tyvärr inte några där:P

fluffstalker
22-02-2010, 23:56
Warmachine. Cheap, quick and fun.

Noxlin
23-02-2010, 09:52
Slap them across the face with a glove/gauntlet, they will ether play you or challenge you to a duel. ether way things will be solved. :D

Memnos
23-02-2010, 10:23
Try a builder campaign with maps and development of story.

Starting at 500 points and working your way up limits 'Cheese' since you keep the same 500 points when you move to the next 500 points.

Johan von Elak
09-07-2010, 20:30
I knew it was you who had made this post as soon as I laid eyes on it, and I found it by chance when roaming google!

And I'd like to tell you one thing; your lists are always cheesy when you play against me and your other poor real-life friends.

You might also want to help clean the gaming table now and then from the 100 tons of random stuff always stacked on it, and we might be more inclined to play with you. :D

Naestran
09-07-2010, 21:21
lol^^

Anyway, if your friend is playing wow 3-4h a day please just cut the internet cable to his house, trust me when I say you are dong him a favour. You ever seen the South Park WoW, that's completely true, trust me. It took me months to stop my friends playing who were completely addicted, now they play warhammer which is so much better...

I would play if hookers were involved :p

Rochr
09-07-2010, 23:29
Warhammer is better than video games? Hmmm... yea sure from a social point of view but it is hardly economical in any sense :D I went from playing Chess and Go to Warhammer, I like the tactical bit of the game and looking ahead in the game.