PDA

View Full Version : Which new army to play?

redx514
17-02-2010, 13:58
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the forum and have been war gaming for just under a year now and am looking to buy my 4th army. I'm not looking for anything in particular, just cool looking models, that are fun to paint and play. Now pretty much all Fantasy armies look cool and look like they are fun to paint and play, but I've narrowed my list down to Orcs and Goblins, Warriors of Chaos and Wood elves. I would also like it to be quite different play style to Vampire Counts as i have 2000 points, as you can see in my sig. So which one would you say is the most fun to paint and play, out of OnG, WoC and WE? If I have done it correctly there should be a poll so please vote in that ^^

Condottiere
17-02-2010, 14:07
Orcs and Goblins, it's hard to find a more unpredictable army, and a sense of humour is a requirement.

Davo
17-02-2010, 14:12
+1

If you are currently playing Vampire Counts, Orcs and Goblins are almost a polar opposite in my opinion and can be a great deal of fun.

The Red Scourge
17-02-2010, 14:23
Stop considering WoC. They lost all their width and appeal with the WoC book, and ended up with a limited and quick-to-become-boring playstyle.

Woodies are a great army with a variety of tactics, very reliable and quite powerful, as long as you know how to use it. And Orcs&Goblins are a nightmare of dirty tricks :)

Both WE and OnG are very different from VC. WE are just as reliable as VC with lots of ItP units, but are much more tactical as their weapon is the movement phase and they're unable to hold a charge, while OnG is as safe as having a quiet conversation with a squig :p

Preacher
17-02-2010, 15:11
My vote was for the WE. A complete opposite of the VC play style. As stated above, you need to learn to own the movement phase.

They have some of the best fantasy models in the GW range(my opinion, of course) and are quite fun to play. There are a lot of different builds out there for them. I could go on and on about them, being playing woodies for a while now and I've tried numerous builds and had fun with all of them. Plus they are still quite a competitive army if you decided about any kind tournament...but you have VC for that ;)

Lots of shooting, fast skirmishing units, throw in some flyers and decently hard combat choices. Its a fun army to play because of the different builds you can play to keep you interested.

I've actually decided that I wanted a more infantry based army to compliment them, so I've taken up Lizardmen(heavy on the Sarus Warriors) as a change of pace. But once I get 2k painted, its back to WE...I've got a couple lists in mind I haven't tried yet....

I've never played O&G before, so I can't speak too much of them. I've played against them many times and I will say, its always fun to do so. Alot of random things going off in all directions. I don't mind some of the models, but others...well.

For O&G I'd maybe say hold off a little bit, if you take a stroll by the Rumour Forums there are some interesting things being said about them getting a model update, this summer.

It seems that WE are far(ish) away from any kind of update at this point.

WOC...too similar to the army you already play. Sure you can do a really fast all mounted army if you wanted too. What opponent doesn't want to see mass units of Chaos Knights being deployed on the other side of the table? lol.

...Final Answer.... WOOD ELVES.

Dantès
17-02-2010, 16:44
Wood Elves...

WoC are pretty much like VC, and every WoC list seems to be cut from the same cloth. Very meh to play, too.

O&G differ from VC, but not a lot. They have much more character, but the playstyle is fairly similar. Big blocks of infantry backed up by cav. There's some decent magic, and dirty tricks to use, but it all boils down to the combat phase and rolling lots of dice.

The WE were my vote: they are a very unique army, with lots of skirmishers and lots of great shooting and great move. You need to learn to control the movement phase, which can be difficult at first, but once you've got that down you'll be pretty much unstoppable. They're not as simple to use as the O&G, and they're very fragile, but fun to play and very tactical.

Desert Rain
17-02-2010, 18:40
Orcs and goblins are fun to play against since they are so unpredictable you can get some really crazy situations with them. I guess that they require some sense of humour to play.

Wood Elves are skirmishy and shooty, quite different from the vampire list and will probably be the best choice if you want something that is very different from your current army.

Warriors of Chaos have awesome models, at least in my opinion, but I guess that they have a quite limited playing style since you've only got loads of close combat troops.

Since you wrote that you wanted something that's different from your vamps I will vote for the wood elves.

willowdark
17-02-2010, 18:47
Orcs and Goblins Waaagh! There isn't enough talk about that going on. A well played Waagh! can ruin your enemies tactics and throw his army into disarray just as badly as a bad animosity check or premature fanatic can do to yours. Greenskin players dance with chaos, but learn to lead and you'll come out on top. They're every bit as tactical as Wood Elves, just in a completely different way.

Jack of Blades
17-02-2010, 19:07
I do want to put in a word for WoC by saying that their tactics aren't so easy and blunt as just pushing your blocks forward until they come into contact with something then beat the crap out of it, unless you're playing against gunlines and such. That's Daemons, not WoC. Of course, within every close combat unit is the desire to advance across the board and beat something up, but you get my point.

bigcheese76
17-02-2010, 19:07
Orcs and Goblins, they are fun to play as or against. I remeber picking up their army book, and just reading it all the way through, liking pretty much every Orc unit.

minionboy
17-02-2010, 19:35
It's a tough call between OnG and WE for me, but I picked WE. I have both armies and neither of them has anything in common with VC, and in either army, you'll have to learn all those rules you forgot playing VC. :P

redx514
17-02-2010, 21:34
Okay so now it has been narrowed down to WE and OnG, WoC have the best models I've ever seen but another guy at FLGS plays them and i dislike playing the same armies as other people obviously there will be some but i will try to avoid it. :) Anyway WE or OnG, replies say WE but the poll says OnG. I'm leaning towards WE at the moment but only slightly I love both of their model range, I guess if I dont decide by end of march I'll roll a dice :D

willowdark
17-02-2010, 21:41
It's worth pointing out that WE troops are actually good at what they do, and have special rules that don't intentionally hinder or potentially kneecap your strategy.

WE also have great fluff, IMO its a lot better than O&G, but that's just one mans IMO.

I think O&G have a lot going for them, but they have a lot going against them as well, while WE are generally considered to be strong enough to compete in 7th ed.

I'm a long time WE player and I can say its an army that can do almost anything you want it to do, except practically generate static combat rez.

O&G try to do a lot, but have a bad tendency of getting confused along the way.

TheDarkDuke
17-02-2010, 21:43
I voted for OnG just due to the fact that they basically can do something in every phase, have fun rules,cool models although painting alot of green might bore you eventually. They are a pretty weak army overall though so that may turn you off.

However wood elves wouldnt be a bad choice either (I personally don't like there models at all besides the tree creatures)

Really just choose the one that you like the models more (although you seem torn on that part) as they both play pretty different to VC so you probably wont regret either one.

Nuada
17-02-2010, 21:44
I've got O&G and WE as well.

I prefer using O&G. Sound strange, but I feel as though i'm cheating my opponent with WE's. You're best to only charge when you know you can win the combat. Move around until you can isolate enemy units, and swamp him. It's just not cricket.
Both are good. Orcs are a good flexible army, with lots of builds available. Quite a powerfull army, you'll easily be competitive with them. I vote for O&G

willowdark
17-02-2010, 21:45
Orcs also have 2 for 1 Pump wagons and the Doom Diver Catapult. That's good stuff.