PDA

View Full Version : Thousand Sons

Murdoch
17-02-2010, 21:23
So having just finished the above I have a fancy for a small band of Magnus's boys before the heresy.

Now is Vanilla SM the way to go? I want a non chaotic Ahriman (because the boy is too cool) and that would be the easiest way. However.. And this is close to blasphemy, but... reading the book and the TS approach to war I was thinking that maybe... just maybe... I could use grey knights...

Would the boy's (and occasional girls) of warseer land be upset if counted Ahriman as Tigurius?

Also (and this is fluff) what would be out of bounds in the codex? Am thinking the only utter no no are assault marines... H2H is far to chaotic for the boys of logic, reason and order...

chaos0xomega
17-02-2010, 21:26
I haven't had the opportunity to read the book yet (can we maybe get a review?) but I don't see why there would be any issue playng them as loyalist marines (as long as you're going for pre-heresy TS). Not so sure on GK, I dont think the rules really fit the TS, but Tigurius is alright./ The TS were after all masters of psychic powers....

Grax
17-02-2010, 21:28
Loyalist marines seem like the way to go, either that or Grey Knights, as you suggested. However, be sure to avoid the assassins and borderline heretical units.

As for loyal marines, I'd say nothing is really out of bounds. As far as I know, nothing's really 'new' in the fluff sense, although for what you're suggesting, the more elite the better, so I wouldn't use too many scouts, and no allies at all.

Good luck!

Murdoch
17-02-2010, 21:35
Nothing in the new codex is post heresy? Assault/Thunderfire cannons?

Where would I post a review?

Cheers

M

Askari
17-02-2010, 23:03
Assault Marines existed in the Thousand Sons pre-heresy... they carried khopesh-style blades.

Ahriman is better than Tigurius :p, but yes it's a decent representation of him. Don't rule out... shockingly... the Space Wolves, their Rune Priests have pretty devastating psychic powers suitable for the Thousand Sons, and Njal Stormcaller is just devastating.

What not to include:
Land Raider Crusader / Redeemer
Blood Claws
Land Speeders
Assault Cannons, on anything
Predator Annihilators
Thunderfire Cannons
Infantry-borne Plasma Cannons or Multi-Meltas... although this could be represented by "special weapon psykers" who have psychic shooting attacks which always work and happen to have the same stats as the above weapons.
That's it really...

Lord of Worms
18-02-2010, 02:19
Tigirius is a better version of Ahriman, than "Ahriman" is. Seriously the "Ahriman" in the codex, thanks to the FAQ is useless. I haven't seen the Space Wolf Codex yet, but I hear good things about their wizards so you may wish to try them out too. It doesn't really matter though, make the army and then use whatever codex you feel is most appropriate at the given time to represent their rules.

TheWarSmith
18-02-2010, 05:45
I'd say this would be fine. I've seen lots of people do similar things with Emperor's Children armies.

How'd you get Thousand Sons already? It doesn't come out until Feb 23rd. Or maybe that's just in the states. I have it pre-ordered.

Bloodriver
18-02-2010, 06:36
How'd you get Thousand Sons already? It doesn't come out until Feb 23rd. Or maybe that's just in the states. I have it pre-ordered.

Not sure about this particular book, but I got my copy of Dark Creed about a month ahead of release at a book signing event by the author at a local GW store.

Murdoch
18-02-2010, 07:25
The book came out on the 13th of Feb here. Maybe GW need an extra fortnight to ship. It is well worth the read...

Reading the appropriate codices last night I would need to re-name the psychic powers in the puppy book but this isn't an issue as the grey hunters are a better fit to the way the thousand sons set their squads/sects up. The special weapons can represent the powers of the squad sergeant.

Anyone point me to a 'how to make pre heresy armour?'

cheers y'all

Narf
18-02-2010, 08:55
non eagle chest pieces, and using black templar & max mini heads.

xerxeshavelock
18-02-2010, 11:56
Tigirius is a better version of Ahriman, than "Ahriman" is. Seriously the "Ahriman" in the codex, thanks to the FAQ is useless.

How do you mean? I was thinking of trying him out.

Lord of Worms
18-02-2010, 15:53
The Ahriman in the codex is useless. He can't fire the same psychic shooting power more than once per turn apparently. Practically all of the psychic powers in the chaos codex are crappier than the ones in the SM codex. And Tigirius gets that prescience power.

Tiller5
18-02-2010, 19:36
The book came out on the 13th of Feb here. Maybe GW need an extra fortnight to ship. It is well worth the read...

Reading the appropriate codices last night I would need to re-name the psychic powers in the puppy book but this isn't an issue as the grey hunters are a better fit to the way the thousand sons set their squads/sects up. The special weapons can represent the powers of the squad sergeant.

Anyone point me to a 'how to make pre heresy armour?'

cheers y'all

I'm pretty sure the Thousand Sons had access to special weapons pre-heresy, but in the Chaos Codex why would you replace their AP3 bolters?

Also, for a nice tutorial on how to make pre-heresy and heresy armour, as well as some Thousand Son painting and modelling articles, take a look here:
http://www.mywargame.com/category/tutorials/
Not sure who to give credit to, but its a useful site!

EDIT: Magos Explorator is the man!

All thats left to say is - welcome to the brotherhood!

Murdoch
18-02-2010, 19:59
I'm pretty sure the Thousand Sons had access to special weapons pre-heresy, but in the Chaos Codex why would you replace their AP3 bolters?

Also, for a nice tutorial on how to make pre-heresy and heresy armour, as well as some Thousand Son painting and modelling articles, take a look here:
http://www.mywargame.com/category/tutorials/
Not sure who to give credit to, but its a useful site!

EDIT: Magos Explorator is the man!

All thats left to say is - welcome to the brotherhood!

I want pre-heresy thousand sons. All red and gold and yummy!

Thank you for the linky :D:D:D

Lord Malorne
18-02-2010, 20:15
H2H is far to chaotic for the boys of logic, reason and order...

Wrong, very wrong.

Murdoch
18-02-2010, 20:18
Wrong, very wrong.

Took me three go's to read this... Michelle Ryan is hot :D

Why am I wrong? Don't like being wrong :cries:

Lord Malorne
18-02-2010, 20:22
The Horus Heresy artbook has some very nicely armed Thousand sons battle sorcerors, one look at them will dispel that illusion.

Urath
18-02-2010, 20:34
I'd say that using a Crusader/Redeemer would be fine. Perhaps to represent the customised transport of a particularly powerful or influential member of the Legion; to act as a rarer variant that was never officially mass produced. Equally, Thunderfire Cannons could be used to represent Thudd Guns or that tracked weapon in the Horus Heresy artbook.

I agree with the rest of Askari's list.

Askari
18-02-2010, 22:10
Didn't think of Thudd Guns... still I'd avoid Redeemer/Crusader unless it's modeled to be particularly awesome looking (such as lightning rod guns instead of Redeemer flamer thingys, with actual lightning modeled as forking off the guns) ;)

The Custodian
18-02-2010, 22:14
Well, I'm using the vannila marines for now, however should the blood angels prove to have decent psychic insanity and somewhere there is a way to ignore blood rage they will be the dex I use...

TheWarSmith
20-02-2010, 00:17
Just got the book in the mail today.

So, I don't read that much 40k fiction. I began to read some of it, and a lot of the terms of completely foreign to me. Can I just fudge through it for the most part?