PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Giant Template

stahly
08-02-2006, 17:49
Some details I got through my local game shop manager who visited the Toy Fair, which brought us the pics from the new WHFB set:
The Fallen Giant Template will cost about 7 to 8 Euros (in Germany) and is definately 3D-shaped and would also make a cool diorama e.g. by adding a slayer or something.

Tastyfish
08-02-2006, 18:28
Odd that it would be in the starter set, a modelled giant in a box where there isn't a giant. Though I suppose BoM didn't come with an Aquila

Bregalad
08-02-2006, 18:35
Odd that it would be in the starter set, a modelled giant in a box where there isn't a giant. Though I suppose BoM didn't come with an Aquila

Therefore nobody has said that. Both template and starter box were seen on the same toy fair, that's all.

Lab Monkey
08-02-2006, 18:46
is it kool?

Tastyfish
08-02-2006, 20:22
Therefore nobody has said that. Both template and starter box were seen on the same toy fair, that's all.
I was confused by the use of the ':' which normally signify:
the start of a list, possibly of contents
the bit in the middle of the time.

Sorry about that, seems I need to actually read posts, rather than just reply to what I think they should say ;)
Saying that, seemed reasonable to me given that the boxed set usually contains all the templates, even if they arn't all used (don't think all the BoM ones were, unless spore mines were ordance and there was a rocket launcher..which thinking about it is probably true)

asmodai_dark86
08-02-2006, 22:57
Then its ingame purpose is revealed.

Think about it

What possible use could anyone have for this unless a dead giant created a terrain feature which then effected LoS like a building.

I'm kind of glad I dont game any more. I mean, pay for a template for a rule i might never use unless i pay five pound more for a plastic giant then i would for a metal giant when the plastic giant looks like Bologgs & Co's long lost relative no matter how you assemble it.

Back to storm troopers for me

DarkTerror
08-02-2006, 23:31
Rambling, but that's ok, I'm going to do it anyway.

Games Workshop overprices and price hikes, that's a given.

What outrages me is when they charge more for plastic pieces than they did for metal. I still remember seeing plastic dragons for more than metal ones and thinking they must be joking...

I find it quite strange that people are still willing to pay these prices for minis. What it most definately means is that people are so hopelessly lost in this hobby that GW can continue to hike up the prices... and will. A lot of people say that they have ceilings, and some do, but far too many people don't care what it costs. Soon enough it will be $40 boxes.

Some things (IMO) should never be plastic, such as large monsters, characters and war machines. Which finally comes around to the point, there shouldn't be fallen giant templates being sold. $12-$15? Might as well put a picture of a little kid on the front with a stack of money saying it's what he always wanted.

I know it's off-topic, but although Games Workshop created a good game, they're still one of the worst companies I know of.

foehammer888
09-02-2006, 11:43
What outrages me is when they charge more for plastic pieces than they did for metal. I still remember seeing plastic dragons for more than metal ones and thinking they must be joking...
And I'm amazed there are still people out there making this arguement. Why do you think plastic should cost less than metal? Plastic is a petroleum product, and as you may have noticed petroleum isn't getting cheaper these days. Pewter/lead, the metal used to make miniatures, is used because it's an extremely cheap and easy to mold metal. Plastic also tends to have alot more un-recyclable waste resulting from it's casting (ie the sprues). Alot of people have this plastic=cheap metal=quality idea stuck in their head. If mini's were made out of steel this might be true. Most things we use in our everyday lives, including computers and automobiles, have incorporated more plastic parts in the last few decades. None of them are of poorer quality, or are less expensive.

Some things (IMO) should never be plastic, such as large monsters, characters and war machines. Which finally comes around to the point, there shouldn't be fallen giant templates being sold. $12-$15? Might as well put a picture of a little kid on the front with a stack of money saying it's what he always wanted. I agree with characters, but not with monsters and war machines. These large models are the hardest to assemble (particularly for younger players) and the most likely to break when abused (once again, by youger players). Even with older players, I knew people who, even with pinning, had to fix their dragons almost weekly. They are also cast in larger scale, making their slightly decreased detail less apparent.

I know it's off-topic, but although Games Workshop created a good game, they're still one of the worst companies I know of. Why? Because they create expensive novelty products that you don't need and wouldn't buy? What about abercrombie & fitch? The sharper image? luxury automobiles? The only real reason I can see to complain about the business practices of these companies, including GW, is if they have something you really want but can't afford it. If that is the case, props to them for creating an in demand product. If it's not the case, why complain?

Foehammer

75hastings69
09-02-2006, 11:56
Thanks Foehammer, I couldn't have put it better myself.

cyphertheory
09-02-2006, 12:38
interesting fact -

all parts of the plastic used by gamesworkshop is totally recyclable, even if they have been assembled. they go into a giant "chipper" and are then reprocessed.

but yeah plastic doesnt mean that its cheaper then white metal to produce.

foehammer888
09-02-2006, 12:54
interesting fact -

all parts of the plastic used by gamesworkshop is totally recyclable, even if they have been assembled. they go into a giant "chipper" and are then reprocessed.

but yeah plastic doesnt mean that its cheaper then white metal to produce. Yeah, I've worked in the plastics industry, making car interiors and door panels. It is true that many plastics can be processed as "regrind" and recycled. However, while doing this is cheaper than "wasting" and disposing of waste material, it is still far from cheap, or easy. Often a single piece of non-recycleable material in an entire batch will ruin the entire batch of material.

Foehammer

Avian
09-02-2006, 13:08
And I'm amazed there are still people out there making this arguement. Why do you think plastic should cost less than metal?
Because 1) shipping costs are less for plastic than for metal, and 2) packing (which is done manually) costs are also less for two plastic sprues than for a dozen metal bitz.

cyphertheory
09-02-2006, 16:01
however what i cant seem to justify is that they say its to expensive to create the moulds in the firstplace. yet how many fallen giant templates are they expecting to shift in comparison to say... plastic dark riders?.

even plastic giants come to that? i hardly think that will be a one to one ratio.

Niibl
09-02-2006, 16:07
@Avian
Expensive mould+large number of casts usually means potentially low prices.
More or less monopoly status causes prices to stay high though.

@foehammer
Don't tell me the recent petrol priceincrease puts plastic at the same level of pewter.
There is still quite some difference.
Even the energycost to melt the stuff is higher for pewter.
So Avian is partially right.

STGM
09-02-2006, 20:15
Personally, I prefer plastic to metal. A lot easier to put together (less need for pinning, etc.) and a lot easier to convert (for me, at least).

DarkTerror
10-02-2006, 05:39
As is probably obvious by my previous post I prefer metal to plastic any day, so paying more for plastic is not what makes me happy.

Relating to ease of putting together, generally plastic is easier, but I have never once pinned a metal model. A good glue job goes a long way :)

Bregalad
21-02-2006, 14:53
Here is a pic from the fallen giant template from the new WD.

Note the poor victim under the giant (and YES, it is a victim ;) )

Duckass
21-02-2006, 14:55
Interesting, though it'll look silly with an über converted chaos giant to look so normal when it dies. Means I'll have to convert the template as well:wtf:

Crube
21-02-2006, 15:14
Keeping back on topic...

I do actually quite like this, although as Duckass says, it will be a bit odd with converted Chaos Giants etc (or ones with alternate heads etc) around.

Having said that, i thought a clear template would be better so you can see exactly what's been hit...

Still, £3. Not too bad IMO. I was expecting a lot higher TBH.

Reabe
21-02-2006, 15:55
Note the poor victim under the giant (and YES, it is a victim ;) )

Thank Sigmar. I almost thought his poorly made clothes had... erm... "broken open".

A clear-resin one would make much more sense, since you might as well just increase the size of the paper-cut-out you got with Beasts of Chaos and Orcs and Goblins army books.

Orcdom
21-02-2006, 17:16
looks like youll be making a clear plastic cut out now and leave theterrain piece, because essentially thats all this is.

to the plastics cost, the amount of plastic/price is a moot point, that not the cost, its the metal molds.

shipping is probly the big save for them tho.

and this is the first time that i have heard that the plastics GW uses is recyclable.

Steve

Mad Doc Grotsnik
21-02-2006, 17:43
The recycle as much as possible. Nice company really.

Hellebore
22-02-2006, 04:51
The recycle as much as possible. Nice company really.

Well can they come and get all my sprues? I hate chucking all that plastic in the bin!

Hellebore

BlazeXI
22-02-2006, 08:29
Well, at least they encourage you to use the sprues as rubble on bases or terrain projects in White Dwarf:evilgrin: . One might think of the summer Citifight Campaign (lots of rubble) as GW contribution to get rid of these wastes:D

Cpt. Drill
22-02-2006, 20:55
Giant doesnt look good....

WiCkEdRock
24-02-2006, 12:24
In case you missed it, the picture of the fallen giant template in the rumour roundup.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6108&stc=1&d=1140538112

Discuss.

truthsayer
24-02-2006, 18:21
Is it just me or does the giant template kinda not look like any of the different variations you can make it like!?

Oh and whats going on with the foot!!!???

tzeentchgiant
24-02-2006, 19:10
Indeed, it's a fallen giant, not a broken giant template, the foot looks like it was snapped off by a toddler :p. I'm a bit confused though, is this a single piece? Surely the second foot needs to be stuck on.

Overall, I'm a little disapointed by it.

TG

Crazy Harborc
24-02-2006, 19:17
Since 6th Edition (the admittedly undersize cardboard cutout) has been used on at least once (that I know/heard about) in six years of games. I'll let my opponents buy the "new improved" plastic templet.

de Selby
02-03-2006, 18:38
Puzzling. I guess there's a second foot that clips on like the tail fin on the aquilla, which it resembles apart from being giant-shaped. If it comes in at £3 as suggested, I may well buy and paint it.

Neknoh
02-03-2006, 20:14
I think that this template is not solely used to check what is hit, remember that once the Giant falls over, it creates a piece of difficult terrain, this would indeed make for a very nice terrain piece or display-piece (if you put a Slayer ontop with his axe lodged in the Giants forehead).

The Judge
02-03-2006, 21:04
It look's alright, but converting may be needed - I need a proper Empire Giant.

Love the corpses underneath.

On the subject of recycling, most of the plastic goes into the bases. One manager recently suggested that the company hold some kind of reward system for bringing in a lot of people's spare plastic sprues - giving them back to the company in return for vouchers etc. Worth thinking about, I would have thought.

Reabe
02-03-2006, 21:24
On the subject of recycling, most of the plastic goes into the bases. One manager recently suggested that the company hold some kind of reward system for bringing in a lot of people's spare plastic sprues - giving them back to the company in return for vouchers etc. Worth thinking about, I would have thought.

*Looks at a shoe box, with loads of sprues piled up in it*

Knowing the generosity of Games Workshop, I'd say I've got another for... a voucher worth 50p. :D Does sound like a cool idea, though.

cyndre
02-03-2006, 21:29
i've alway's recycled my extra sprues plastic.

I do hope there's a foot to be glued, else it looks awkward.
But having seen the giant in person a few months ago, i find it looks good and i'm gonna try hard to fit it in my vampire army. Useless for my D Elves though.

Jericho
03-03-2006, 03:29
Whenever I remember the frames go in the recycle bin instead of the garbage can... the actual bitz themselves going into one of many massive "bitz boxes." Do they still count as bitz when you can make 20+ complete Inquisitor models with the parts you have lying around? I'm not so sure anymore :p

Anyway if you don't use the fallen giant template it might have something to do with a lack of giant in your army. Think about it :D

Jesse
03-03-2006, 04:46
its been confirmed that the template will be clear plastic :)

Jedi152
03-03-2006, 07:12
its been confirmed that the template will be clear plastic :)
I was just about to say: Got a MO leaflet yesterday which shows that the template is indeed clear plastic.

Chaos and Evil
03-03-2006, 11:29
I too confirmed it... on the 40k rumours section (yay!)

de Selby
03-03-2006, 11:52
Bah, it's £4. WD proves itself an unreliable source of info about GW products once again. I'm wavering towards not buying, now: too expensive and with weird feet.

jansenm
03-03-2006, 14:10
Yeah the foot looks aweful did t get chopped off or something?

SuperBeast
03-03-2006, 15:06
Yeah the foot looks aweful did t get chopped off or something?
Would explain why he fell over... :D

The Judge
03-03-2006, 17:13
The boxset comes with three sets of feet though, doesn't it? Should be able to fit a spare one onto it.

Reabe
03-03-2006, 17:46
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6108&stc=1&d=1140538112

Looks worse than the new giant.

Also, if I kill a giant with a volley from my cannons, why would his legs be cut off?

Bad template to go along with the bad model, in my opinion.

branchwrath
03-03-2006, 21:25
A cannon ball could have just nailed him in the leg causing him to fall over and land on his spiky club ;)

jansenm
03-03-2006, 23:21
hey the giant is clear!

sorry if i am a lil slo but
that means u cannot convert the foot with a spare from the gaint box

de Selby
04-03-2006, 10:57
That depends on whether you plan on painting it up as a terrain feature to match your giant...