PDA

View Full Version : Winter Assault video at E3

Cypher
22-05-2005, 13:48
Link here (http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=63284)

Quick summary:

4 New Units:

Fire Dragons: lethal against vehicles. We see them total a bunch of ork trakks in second.

Mega-Armoured Nobz: each of these squashes an entire squad of guardsmen.

Khorne Berzerkers: talk about nasty. These guys cut through a squad of Banshees no trouble.

Chaplain: badass. The video has him slaughter about fifty cultists easily.

New gameplay styles

Shows off some of the new objective types, and then had a Bloodthirster slaughter an Avatar.

Imperial Guard

Units shown include the new commander (who is badass with what looks like a pair of lightning claws, one with a storm bolter attached a la Talon of Horus). Commissars, Psykers (who look like they're in real pain when they do their thing). Enginseers are the builder unit. Ogryns are in there, along with sentinels, basilisks and the hard-as-nails Baneblade.

Very cool stuff: cant wait.

grey_painter
22-05-2005, 13:56
The ogryns seem extremely tough. Took a charge from a group of berserkers and ripped them apart.

I don't know why they gave marines another character, would have prefered some bikes or something. Apparently the chaplain is meant to help long range units, unsure how that is going to work though.

boogle
22-05-2005, 14:36
well looks like i may have to get my own copy of DOW in preparation for WA, i really hope they go places with this franchise as seeing Tau, Nids and the rest will be cool (imagines a DW kill team trying to infest a nid base)

Cypher
23-05-2005, 02:29
well looks like i may have to get my own copy of DOW in preparation for WA, i really hope they go places with this franchise as seeing Tau, Nids and the rest will be cool (imagines a DW kill team trying to infest a nid base)
I wouldnt expect too many more races added officially. Seems balance is important in RTS development, and the more races in the mix the harder balance is to achieve. How many RTS games you know with five complete and unique races?

neXus6
23-05-2005, 02:58
I don't own the game but I've played it a few times at a friends.

It would seem that the most important thing for Winter Assault to do is undo the damage that the last update did.

Fire Dragons - Do eldar really need another AT unit, arn't bright lances and Prisms enough?

Mega-armoured Nobs - They better be good at AT becuase Orks have been ruined rather badly in that area with the latest update.

Khorne Berzerkers - sounds pretty cool, have to see them in action to see if they are worth taking over tooled up possessed (or Defilers under the current patch).

Chaplain - Yeah I to would have rather seen another unit rather than another character. Ah well.

The Guard - Again sounds very cool, a real temptation for me to get a new PC and start playing DoW.

I guess only time will tell if it's all worth it. :D

m1s1n
23-05-2005, 03:28
Considering that I've never played a game of 40k in my life I really enjoyed DOW. I just really got into it, and in most cases I really hate videogames. Most of the races I was able to translate from a Fantasy stand-point to understand. Essentially I would love to see a mod conversion to Fantasy--or some version of the DOW engine to be used for a Fantasy game.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Winter Assault--I think it is a good sign of things to come, especially for the future of Warhammer videogames.

boogle
23-05-2005, 08:27
Re my comment on Tau and Nids, i hope to see themin their full glory in DOW2 when they get round to it

Brother Munro
23-05-2005, 11:15
Grrrr! It is a bit torrent, curse you Uni Firewall!

*shakes fist*

I want to see it :cries:

Even if I can't play it :cries:

Kargos Bloodspit
23-05-2005, 11:27
Anyone got it in a non-torrent form? My computer and I have a serious disgust for torrent files...

edit: nvm, found it in the relic thread:

http://www.ngi.it/download-3546-e3-dawn-of-war-winter-assault-gameplay-video.html

its in spanish, but you can just about get the jist of it if you think about what you're usually asked and told on downloads...

x-esiv-4c
23-05-2005, 13:44
I wonder how down-powered they will make the baneblade, I mean...that thing is a monster!

grey_painter
23-05-2005, 16:23
It's quoted as being able to blow avatars and bloodthisters away. So can't be that toned down really.

scottb
23-05-2005, 17:31
Just spent 3 hours downloading it, grr modems, all in all looks like the guard are going to be good fun to play, nice attention to detail. Guardsmen saluting and the loader and spotter on the basilisk. And the Baneblade..wow, apparently it will have lighter armour then the landraider, but more hp`s.

x-esiv-4c
23-05-2005, 17:37
...apparently it will have lighter armour then the landraider, but more hp`s.

Obviously to reflect the fact that the baneblade has lower armour but a higher damage capacity.

Forgotmytea
23-05-2005, 17:52
Can't download it sadly, but I've seen screenshots, and it looks really good. I'm looking forward to the Guard, but I doubt I'll use the KB - I'm waiting patiently for the Tzeentch Thousand Sons mod to be finished. Only one Chaos alligence, me ;). BTW, has anyone else read that small article in UK WD 306 about Namco & Warhammer teaming up to make a load of Warhammer games (p. 2, bottom left)? Sounds pretty good so far... :)

Da Red Gobbo

Ozorik
24-05-2005, 12:39
Shame that the IGs artillery is provided by 'lisks and not griffons. The lisk just doesnt fit in well with such a small scale game. Not that anyone listens to me of course... :)

I just hope that the single player game is a lot better than DOW and isnt so cheesy.

Oh well, Ill buy it anyway although I bet the IG mod teams arnt happy now..

Judging by relics announcment of that WWII game using the DoW engine (Ive forgotten the name) its not completely impossible that a fnatasy game will turn up at some point.

Brother Munro
24-05-2005, 12:43
http://www.ngi.it/download-3546-e3-dawn-of-war-winter-assault-gameplay-video.html

its in spanish, but you can just about get the jist of it if you think about what you're usually asked and told on downloads...

Thanks, worked great, the Uni has now redeemed itself. (Mmmm... fast connection...)

Samoth
24-05-2005, 13:07
I thought there was a differnce betweehn hp and armour. Eg, the difference in damage a heavy bolter and missile launcher will cause to a land raider (reduced to the same amount of hp as a) and a space marine.

The missile will kill the lr faster, but the hevay bolter will kill the marine faster - is this not due to the armour?

C. Langana
24-05-2005, 23:17
Is it just me or did the IG commander pass away rahter quickly? I think this is a good thing though. I am looking forward to this ever. ever so much. Baneblade!

Tyra_Nid
25-05-2005, 02:11
The Ogryns look far better than the actual Ogryn models :D

And the Baneblade... *dies*

Cypher
25-05-2005, 02:45
@ Ozorik: That'd be an artistic decision: frankly the Basilisk looks cooler than the Griffon, and is somewhat more combat effective. Given that in the terms of this game they'd both fulfill the same role, it stands to reason that the Basilisk would be the "more desirable" choice. Id also guess the range has been nerfed a bit.

@ Samoth: As I understand the way the game works you're basically correct. Some weapons are anti-tank weapons and will therefore be more effective against armoured vehicles, where a Heavy Bolter isnt going to do much. However a krak missle or lascannon will kill a marine just as effectively as a bolter shot (moreso perhaps). The difference is over a period of time anti-infantry weapons should effectivly kill more infantry because there are more potential deaths.

@ C. Langana: I noticed that too, then again I wouldnt expect Bezerkers to chew through Banshees that easily either. Thing about any guard unit is that it's expected to do a certain amount of damage and then die quickly (IG tactics rely on this). And honestly, wouldnt want the new commander to be too tough, would we? ;)

Zechs Merquise
30-05-2005, 22:06
Ive downloaded it, but for some reason my computer will not play it, anyone else had this problem?

neXus6
30-05-2005, 22:10
The video is pretty impressive.
Still don't know if it's enoguh to attract me to the game...but if I get a new PC it will be up there in the "games to buy" list.

Jay Pea
06-07-2005, 09:17
Ive downloaded it, but for some reason my computer will not play it, anyone else had this problem?

Have you got the codec packs?

I think adding fire dragons is great for Eldar cos it gives you an early anti-armour option. Main weakness of the eldar for me is their lack of an early acquired anti-amour unit....

Frodo34x
06-07-2005, 09:50
Has anyone else played the Daemonhunters mod? I got it off a demo disc recently, and it's great fun, even if bodyguard squads filled with meltaguns are scarily powerful.

Vberg
06-07-2005, 10:22
Never bought the original game but i may have to just to use the guard. They should have been included in the first place but ho hum. The amount of Baneblades i have seen in some of the screen shots seems quite disturbing :eek: .

Coincidently shouldnt this be in the computer games forum?