PDA

View Full Version : Dual Giants FTW!!!

Dakkapantz
18-02-2010, 03:04
Hey all,

Just after posting asking questions about wyverns, I started wondering how 2 giants in a 2250 O&G army list would perform:D. Would it work? How would you use them? I'm thinking that with 2 of them, your opponent will either have to shoot at and kill one of them and let the other through, or split their fire between the two, and they will both get to the other side with a couple wounds.

Cheers

Peyton

KayazyAssassin
18-02-2010, 03:24
i have a friend who sometimes runs this with his goblin list to good effect

snottlebocket
18-02-2010, 04:55
Worked very well for me. In lists with limited to no shooting my giants would just leapfrog forward. I'd try to keep them together so they could quickly pound expensive units into oblivion. It's kind of a waste of terror and when the first one rolls yell and bawl it sucks, but when both roll an offensive attack it usually means they'll break their opponent and are free to roll on to the next one. Which is much more efficient than a 500 point tarpit.

Against army's likely to do heavy ranged damage either through shooting or magic I held my giants back. My goblin army has a fair bit of firepower in the form of boltthrowers and the odd catapult plus magic missiles. I'd just deploy the giants halfway up the field behind forests or buildings where any units passing through towards my army would be forced to expose their flanks to the giants.

Against gunlines or other armies where obviously nobody is going to cross the table to your side there isn't much choice except just barging forwards and hoping one lives.

Giant Tagteams are especially useful in goblin armies where they supply much needed punch, the goblins are cheap enough to fill out the army even with so many points spend on giants.

BigbyWolf
18-02-2010, 14:15
Take 2 Giants AND a Wyvern...that's more fun:evilgrin:

snottlebocket
18-02-2010, 16:42
Take 2 Giants AND a Wyvern...that's more fun:evilgrin:

Large target saturation is not a bad tactic either. It's what keeps my tanks alive in 40k.

silentcaine
18-02-2010, 22:08
2 giants def sound pretty nice :D

Avian
18-02-2010, 22:37
Using double Giants and a Wyvern I have absolutely destroyed Undead armies. I use them as bastions my little greenies can rally around while the Warboss crumbles a flank.

Condottiere
19-02-2010, 07:01
You can't shoot them all, and the Wyvern can usually pick his targets.

Jack of Blades
19-02-2010, 09:00
You can't shoot them all

And even if you can or can't your war machines can misfire, fail to wound, cause one wound, fail to hit and such. What I want to say is that just because an anti-monster war machine is sitting there doesn't mean that your monster is doomed :)

Some people probably read this and scoff at it but I've seen too many bad shooting rounds and other cases where stuff makes it across the table despite the presence of enemy war machines.

Artinam
19-02-2010, 09:14
I agree completely with you Jack of Blades. You take shooting into account, just as you have to take into account that a charge can end up bad because of dice.

rtunian
19-02-2010, 13:16
if 1 giant is bad ass, how can you go wrong with 2?
well, you can go wrong with 2 if you play wps comp (-600 points yowch!)

in non-comp environment, though, they are the "bees knees"

And even if you can or can't your war machines can misfire, fail to wound, cause one wound, fail to hit and such. What I want to say is that just because an anti-monster war machine is sitting there doesn't mean that your monster is doomed :)

Some people probably read this and scoff at it but I've seen too many bad shooting rounds and other cases where stuff makes it across the table despite the presence of enemy war machines.

too true.
my last four games have found me wondering "why did i bring these pieces of crap again?" neither my rock lobba nor my doom diver have made contact in quite awhile, and my bolt throwers, once my bread and butter, have turned to well, whatever bread and butter turns to when it's past it's prime. mold i suppose...

Bladelord
19-02-2010, 13:22
I've the same problem like you rtunian but it's my bretonnian lances. Not even the horses can kill anymore.:cries: My opponents nowadays: Knights who rely on SC:wtf:

Makaber
19-02-2010, 15:10
The main problem with two Giants is, in my eyes, that you have to pass up on the awesome, awesome Doom Diver.

lopezpie
19-02-2010, 17:32
hmm i think im going to try this today it sounds like a really fun and interesting list

Malorian
19-02-2010, 17:39
2 giants can work well, the main problem in my eyes (made worse when there is also a wyvern) is that you burn through your points quickly and don't have enough left for as many troops.

I've found that running giants together (not just 2 in one list but together on the board) works well as one can go up to be the bait (and with stubborn they will hold) and then the other on slams in on your turn.

With my OK I've done this with 3 giants in larger games :D (But then again they aren't stubborn so it doesn't always work out as well :()

stompy
19-02-2010, 18:13
I play a night goblin army, and regularly run two giants. I guess playing night goblins, you tend to have a whole lot of points left over, so 400 out of 2000 points isn't a big deal. Also, I've never been a fan of the rest of the rare choices, at least not in a night goblin army.

In game, two giants is more than twice as good as one giant. There aren't a lot of units that can face a charge from two giants, and making the opponent take twice as many terror tests can be handy. Also, I find that a lot of opponents spilt their firepower across both giants for some reason, often resulting in both giants reaching the enemy, albeit wounded. Not to mention, you get to assemble and paint two giants, imo one of the most fun miniatures there is!

The awesome thing about giants is, nobody really knows what to do about them. People generally assume they suck, and ignore them, or are absolutely terrified of them and will go to ridiculous lengths to stop them.

Condottiere
19-02-2010, 18:19
Giants are fun, but are also missile magnets, which in theory can kill them, unlike some other large monsters.

Malice&Mizery
19-02-2010, 19:18
I think you could get a fair bit of competitiveness out of N.Gobs if you run 2 giants.

Add in a few Chukkas, Fanatics and Skarsnik for good measure ;)

stwess
23-02-2010, 18:37
Funnily enough i was thinking about this just a few minutes ago on my way home.

Was wondering if something like 2 giants, 1 wyvern boss, 3 gobo shammans and a load of cavalry was viable (ie spider riders, wolf riders as core, boar boyz as special). theres so much there that needs killed can any opponent realistically stop all of them.

with eveything being mounted (shamans in chariots or on wolf whatever allows it points wise) or pretty quick anyway the time to pop them all is very limited too

ST

Drakcore Bloodtear
23-02-2010, 18:44
Duel gaints are good targets for war machine
That means less panic tests on your unit's (Plus they're pretty good in combat)

The only down side in expensive unit's that have no armour
And the biggest no-no for me is the fact that you've lost all your rare choices

But as others have said with a Wyvern they can be a pain in the backside