PDA

View Full Version : Looking to cram in another chariot...

Malorian
18-02-2010, 16:16
So this is my current 2250 orc list:

Savage orc warboss w/ great axe, armor of gork, amulet of protectyness, battle brew (221)
Black orc bigboss BSB w/ spirit totem, heavy armor, boar (180)
Goblin shaman w/ 2 scrolls, wolf chariot (165)
Night goblin shaman w/ staff of sneaky stealing (100)

24 savage orcs w/ spears, banner, musician (231)
25 boyz w/ shield, banner, musician (165)
25 boyz w/ shield, banner, musician (165)
25 boyz w/ shield, banner (160)
25 boyz w/ shield, banner (160)
28 night goblins w/ nets, banner, musician (131)
5 wolf riders w/ bows, spears, musician (76)
5 wolf riders w/ bows, spears, musician (76)

Orc chariot (80)
Orc chariot (80)
2 spear chukkas (70)
2 spear chukkas (70)

Doom diver (80)
Troll (40)

Total: 2250 on the nose.

Now what I'm looking to do is change that night goblin shaman into a regular goblin shaman and put him on a wolf chariot, which would mean an extra 65 points. The question is how do I make it up?

Option 1: Drop the armor of gork and the battle brew from the warboss.

This would be a straight trade however it would also decrease the effectiveness of my warboss to the point that I would be unsure if he could take on the monsters and characters he used to...

Option 2: Drop two scrolls or the staff of sneaky stealing, and the battle brew

Reduces my magic defence but might be worth the extra combat punch.

Option 3: Drop some orcs from each unit

Might not hurt me too badly.

Option 4: Something else.

So what are your thoughts?

Gork or Possibly Mork
18-02-2010, 16:25
I'd go with option 2 staff and battle brew...Magic is fickle as is battle brew. I'd keep the scrolls just in case.

option 3 seems pretty safe as well but I'd keep them since you have to expect your own chariots hitting them sometimes, heavy shooting, magic etc.
I like my blocks of orcs big and scary and if you start dropping under 25..Yeah I don't like it.

castlesmadeofsand
19-02-2010, 22:35
drop the nets on the night gobs and 1 scroll, thats 60. then drop the banner on the ngobs and a couple of gobs (i'd also make them arrer gobs as with that many blocks of orcs i can't see the point in a combat based gob unit, especially one under 35 strong) and that should be the other 5. if you find yourself with a few spare points after that then i'd add in the collar of zorga on the goblin shamen with the scroll, or even find a few extra for the bauble (maybe by dropping to 21 on the gobs and dropping spears/short bows on one of the wolf riders).

this maintains the majority of your magic defense (i hate the idea of more than one scroll anyway) and also your combat ability and even gives your opponent a little nasty suprise if you work the collar or bauble into the right place.

Jack of Blades
19-02-2010, 22:44
I don't get why you'd want standards on every single block. Drop some of them, drop the staff of sneaky stealin' and you have your 65 points along with dropping some goblins from the other unit if need be. This might even aid you as those non-captured banners mean less VPs for the enemy. Let's be honest here; you won't need a standard in every squad. Yes, not every squad will have a standard in the combat it finds itself in if you drop some, but will it make a difference worth the risk of giving away those VPs?

Djekar
20-02-2010, 04:49
I'd have to say drop the brew and the staff, spread your scrolls 1 per shaman. I'm not sure that the list would be better for this change, but I don't think it will be very appreciably worse either, so it might be fun to try.

Malorian
20-02-2010, 04:55
Nets basically give the warboss toughness 7, and the banners are on all units as with orc you can never be sure which one is going to be in combat and which one is going to squabble ;)

All things to think about though :)

castlesmadeofsand
20-02-2010, 08:47
i'm assuming that you don't put the warboss with the goblins to begin with and thats based on a combo charge between gobs and i presume the savage orc boyz, right? (otherwise you risk the warboss frenzying out of the unit when you don't want him to and losing the support of the gobs anyay). have you used the tactic much? how does it work out? looking at the list again does the black orc bsb go in with the gobs to get the spirit totem bonus up. that would surely make them a bit of a target and i'd expect them to get shot up pretty bad.

another option could be to drop 1 chukker (3 and a doom diver is still pretty usefull shooting ability) and 1 scroll for 60, then bows/spears from one of the wolf riders for the last 5.

like the banners on all units, both for the reason you give and for an aesthetic one, all units should have banners!

BigbyWolf
20-02-2010, 09:33
Is the staff not Night Goblin only? In that case you'd have to drop it anyway. I'd say drop that and the brew, and put a scroll each on the Shamen.

Jind_Singh
20-02-2010, 17:52
hey there Malorian, if it were me personally.....

I went through an epic orc heavy phase for all of 2009, 2010 is the year for goblins - but heres what I found from my personal experiance....

1) Drop 1 complete unit of orcs from the list! 4 units is more than enough to do what needs to be done!
2) Do the chariot upgrade to the shaman
3) Upgrade them both to level 2s - give one staff of badum and mushrooms, the other is either double scroll caddy or staff of sneaky stealing
- why 2 level 2s? Well apart from spell 6 the other 1st 5 spells from little waaagh are plain solid - 2 magic missles, annoying spell that coverts 6's to 1s, squishy foot, or 2D6 transport spell - whats not to like about any of those?
- level 2 allows you to throw 3 die into a spell
- magic heavy lists shut you down no matter what, but mosts armies 2 level 2s is MORE than enough!
- You get great tactical options via your magic phase as people dont expect greenskins to use their magic, but i dont see why we wouldnt!
- with the amount of orc boyz on the table you'll get more power die too as the game goes on
3) We still have some points left from ditching the orcs, so lets upgrade the single troll to a stone troll - why?? Any spell the enemy has which is an area affect (that wind of death thing the vamps have for example were every unit takes a wound on a 4+) will now have to tackle the magic resistance 2 of the single stone troll! Really helps out big time, belive me! Also makes the troll harder to fireball!

I think we still have some points left over so

4) Unit champs for some of the bigger units - you gotta! WS4, str 5 on the charge - i've never been let down by my unit champ and he's there to take the heat of the warboss in a challange v's an enemy of doom! They also put paid to a lot of troops out there

5) Warboss - why Savage orc? I know hes cool and all that but he's plain crazy! ANd as a character sooooo much harder to control as he WILL leave his unit and charge on his own if he has to - and he will! I'd have gone with a normal orc warboss (dont take black orc as i always feel there should be at least 1 unit of black orcs to accompny him), and you'll also save some points.
battle brew....lol, very orcish and unpredicablte- but a liability as 1 in 3 chance your stupid, and otherwise you get hatred...go orcs go!

Djekar
21-02-2010, 01:17
Jind:
I think that I agree with you about the number of orcs on the field. I penned a similar list recently after watching Mal's game with Blackjack's lizards and when I got to the table I realized that it was a pain to deploy that many troops. I guess I should get over the fear of deploying in depth with the Mean Green, but it's there. 4 Units does seem like a good number at a 2250 game. As to what to do with the points ...

2) I disagree here. It sounds great in a friendly enviroment, but if you play competitively, the level of magic defense would overwhelm that 6 - 7 PD with relative ease. Sure you'd be no worse for the wear since you wouldn't have pulled any magic off anyways, but you *did* spend the points on magic instead of something else. I do definitely agree with you about the goodness of casting spells of the Little Waaagh! however, I think I like it more than the Big Waaagh!

3) I thought there was an errata about how MR works and so now it only affects things that target the model(s) with MR. Since, to the best of my knowledge, Winds of Undeath doesn't specifically target anything, the MR on the troll would be ignored. It does make him more of a nuisance though since he is, as you say, harder to fireball. Plus he gets a scaly skin to save him from any annoying S3 shooting!

4) I agree! Champs especially in the units with characters in them!

5) I've thought about that too when looking over this list, but I think coupled with the Battle Brew it's a good deal - since you have a 1/3 chance of being stupid or a 2/3 chance of having hatred and frenzy. That said, a drop to an Orc Warboss wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm not sure where he would/ could use those 5 points.

warlord hack'a
21-02-2010, 08:06
quite a dilemma here: easiest way to free up points is drop the staff, but then what's the use of the shaman except the one dispel dice it generates.. So if you drop the staff you might as well drop the shaman and get a gobbo big boss in chariot with wollopa's..

Seeing as that you often deploy your savages on the flank I say drop them down to 20, that frees up 28 points out of the top of my head. Then maybe the bows on your fast cav, is another 10 points. The brew from the warboss (if you want hatred get the akkrit axe ;-)) is another 15 points, then one boss from an orc unit and you are done..

warp powered madman
21-02-2010, 13:56
hey there Malorian, if it were me personally.....

I went through an epic orc heavy phase for all of 2009, 2010 is the year for goblins - but heres what I found from my personal experiance....

1) Drop 1 complete unit of orcs from the list! 4 units is more than enough to do what needs to be done!
2) Do the chariot upgrade to the shaman
3) Upgrade them both to level 2s - give one staff of badum and mushrooms, the other is either double scroll caddy or staff of sneaky stealing
- why 2 level 2s? Well apart from spell 6 the other 1st 5 spells from little waaagh are plain solid - 2 magic missles, annoying spell that coverts 6's to 1s, squishy foot, or 2D6 transport spell - whats not to like about any of those?
- level 2 allows you to throw 3 die into a spell
- magic heavy lists shut you down no matter what, but mosts armies 2 level 2s is MORE than enough!
- You get great tactical options via your magic phase as people dont expect greenskins to use their magic, but i dont see why we wouldnt!
- with the amount of orc boyz on the table you'll get more power die too as the game goes on
3) We still have some points left from ditching the orcs, so lets upgrade the single troll to a stone troll - why?? Any spell the enemy has which is an area affect (that wind of death thing the vamps have for example were every unit takes a wound on a 4+) will now have to tackle the magic resistance 2 of the single stone troll! Really helps out big time, belive me! Also makes the troll harder to fireball!

I think we still have some points left over so

4) Unit champs for some of the bigger units - you gotta! WS4, str 5 on the charge - i've never been let down by my unit champ and he's there to take the heat of the warboss in a challange v's an enemy of doom! They also put paid to a lot of troops out there

5) Warboss - why Savage orc? I know hes cool and all that but he's plain crazy! ANd as a character sooooo much harder to control as he WILL leave his unit and charge on his own if he has to - and he will! I'd have gone with a normal orc warboss (dont take black orc as i always feel there should be at least 1 unit of black orcs to accompny him), and you'll also save some points.
battle brew....lol, very orcish and unpredicablte- but a liability as 1 in 3 chance your stupid, and otherwise you get hatred...go orcs go!

Agree with everything here apart from the magic resistance part..know your rules, the magic has to be aimed directly at the unit with magic resistance to benefit, area affect spells are not aimed ergo no magic resistance