PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of playing WotR?

Drakcore Bloodtear
19-02-2010, 21:14
Hi
My friend has recently bought the WotR book and has asked me a couple of guys to come play

Now I've been collecting LotR for a long time but have only played one small game with them (Which IMHO was rather boring)

But as a long time WFB gamer i thought that maybe WotR maybe alittle more exciting

However there are a few things I want to know such as
-As a fantasy player is WotR that different?

-As I didn't like SBG, would WotR be any different?

-How viable is a Black Numenorean led by Nazguls army?

Cheers :D

lorelorn
20-02-2010, 03:25
WotR is very different to WHFB, in a good way.

It's also very different to the strategy game, they are better thought of a two separate games that use the same line of miniatures.

Not sure on the Numenoreans as all-metal armies aren't my thing, but led by the Dark Marshal you can have as many black numenoreans and morgul knights in your army as your wallet will allow. Add some extra Nazgul and/or other Dismay-casters to get the most from Terror, and support with the right troops and you should go fine.

Reinholt
20-02-2010, 03:31
To chime in myself...

- WotR is a very, very different game than WFB. Basically, I can pretty much say that everything you know about WFB is different in WotR. WotR is not a port of the WFB rules into the Tolkien world; it's a totally different system, in the same way that Space Hulk is not Blood Bowl and Warhammer 40,000 is not Warmachine.

- I'm not a big SBG fan myself. It's amusing at times, but overall, I just don't like the game that much. On the other hand, I love War of the Ring. Most of the people around here that I play with aren't huge SBG fans, but WotR generates more positive reviews than any game I have seen from GW since Blood Bowl.

- Black Numenoreans are solid. As mentioned, your main problem is money (they are all metal), so you have a few options: field them anyways, and use the Dark Marshal (one of the Nazgul) to lead your army, and you can have virtually nothing but Black Numenoreans; you can field a Mordor army with Black Numenoreans as allies and put in plenty of Ringwraiths (as well as the Mouth of Sauron, if you want him); you can field a Fallen Realms army with Easterlings, Haradrim, or Corsairs, and augment it with Black Numenoreans and field Ringwraiths.

So yes, it's very viable. You could make a pretty strong army with any of those.

Drakcore Bloodtear
20-02-2010, 19:25
Cheers

I've played my first WotR game and sorry but...meh
But I did have a list pre made, and TBH I think it was a pathetic list I had only a captin while he had a wizard, a standard & and a captain :wtf:

So maybe if I was to have a proper game (With a list I made myself) then it could be more enjoyable

But now I'm getting together with some friends to play SBGAnd what I want to know is, how viable is my list in SBG?

Shamutanti
20-02-2010, 21:26
If you want a taster of WotR head to a local GW (or a premium indy) if you can. They'll break it down better than any of your friends will and provide you with a more richer 'first' experience. If they're nice they'll even throw up an army list with you afterwards, so you've got something to at least consider and look at, whilst they advise you on the better things to begin with.

Reinholt
20-02-2010, 23:55
Cheers

I've played my first WotR game and sorry but...meh
But I did have a list pre made, and TBH I think it was a pathetic list I had only a captin while he had a wizard, a standard & and a captain :wtf:

So maybe if I was to have a proper game (With a list I made myself) then it could be more enjoyable

But now I'm getting together with some friends to play SBGAnd what I want to know is, how viable is my list in SBG?

Who was your epic hero or legendary formations? What were the points values?

Right now, it sounds to me like your friends either set you up or you weren't even playing the game! The description you give me for yourself is not a legal list; you have to have a legendary formation or an epic hero leading your army, and that means you should have had more than a captain (which is a basic unit upgrade) on hand... and without knowing points or what not...

I second Shamutanti by saying your best bet is usually to learn to play somewhere that they know the rules and will field real lists.

lorelorn
21-02-2010, 11:18
What points value were you playing?

As Reinholt said, whatever your friends did, they did it wrong. It sounds like the equivalent of giving you a whfb army with nothing other than unit champions.

Drakcore Bloodtear
23-02-2010, 19:05
Who was your epic hero or legendary formations? What were the points values?

Right now, it sounds to me like your friends either set you up or you weren't even playing the game! The description you give me for yourself is not a legal list; you have to have a legendary formation or an epic hero leading your army, and that means you should have had more than a captain (which is a basic unit upgrade) on hand... and without knowing points or what not...

I second Shamutanti by saying your best bet is usually to learn to play somewhere that they know the rules and will field real lists.

If you want a taster of WotR head to a local GW (or a premium indy) if you can. They'll break it down better than any of your friends will and provide you with a more richer 'first' experience. If they're nice they'll even throw up an army list with you afterwards, so you've got something to at least consider and look at, whilst they advise you on the better things to begin with.

I don't know what the point value were and I didn't have any Epic Heroes just a captain.

I must say I have alway beaten my friend in all games (Except LotR) and I think the fact that he made my army list far less powerful then his, was most proberly to beat me. Rather pathetic now that I think about it. :rolleyes:

But me and 2 others run an Indy store (ME being head Fantasy supervisor) and the other as the head LotR superviser, he only knows how to play SBG so we all got together and I asked my mate to teach us WotR.

So I suppose the game was heavily biased against me?

Midloo
23-02-2010, 19:35
Uh.. maybe.... though I've found more than one long-time WHF player who has been biased against WotR since it also does rank and file (and does it much more elegantly than Fantasy IMO) ;) Maybe you're set in your Fantasy ways?

Maybe you got taken for a ride a bit, maybe you just didn't want to love it a bit? If you've got the gumption, give it another go. I've been playing Fantasy for years and continue to play it... It's fun for what it does. WotR is fun for what it does too.

Shamutanti
25-02-2010, 01:06
I know entire GW stores of players who are Fantasy heavy turn to WotR within a month of some of the 'lead' guys trying it out, getting involved, enjoying it and taking it up.

I honestly say try it out at a GW store or with a group of people who have a strong want to show you why it's different and why it's cool, rather than how 'this works like that' and ' why this is stronger performing than that'.

If you want to learn how to play WotR, buy the rulebook, sit down and read it, blow up some army lists, work things out. If you're the type of guy that finds that exciting also, even better.

But frankly if you simply want to play a game that's fun you're best just playing it ala 'no-dice, no-rules'. Get your mates to lead you through it Intro-style and then make a decision based after that.

Wanting to get involved in a game is a different process to wanting to learn how to play and those two things often get mixed and confused, so it's down to what you want to do, but rarely will someone find a game fun by learning first, doing second.

The only reason I got into Warmachine was because my intro involved me bodyslamming one jack into another and then flinging the later jack into the caster. The process of doing was a blur, the result, the impact and the fact I could, was what got me putting my money down.