PDA

View Full Version : Rangers won, Celtic lost!!!

Brandir
22-05-2005, 16:13
Excellent result today. Rangers won and Celtic lost, ensuring Rangers have won the Scottish Premiership. Two goals in the dying minutes wiped that smile off those Celtic fans.

But hang on Brandir, you're English! Why care?

Well, a few years ago I had a wonderful time with a lovely Scottish lady from Glasgow who happened to be a mad Rangers fan who hated Celtic (she also had great ****!). She took me to an Old Firm derby (great date!) and what an amazing experience. Ever since then I have always had a soft spot for the blue side of Glasgow.

Anyway, I digress. Well done Rangers!!!

neXus6
22-05-2005, 16:20
DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN.

The sons of darkness beat my beloved Hibs...And won the league...they are the biggest cheats in the SPL and thus I hate seeing them win ANYTHING EVER. In addition to them always singing about being up to their knees in fenian blood. It is the rangers fans that keep the sectarianism going, they say it is just a minority in the crowd but if that's the case why can you hear this minority in EVERY TV and Radio broadcast?

On the up side Hibs still made it into Europe, just.

Brandir
22-05-2005, 16:29
Celtic fans are just as bad with regards the sectarianism.

This sectarianism is a blight on an otherwise excellent footballing nation.

neXus6
22-05-2005, 16:34
No mate, the celtic fans are not "just as bad."
It's something I have paid attention to for years and it is certianly not the case.
You can not hear Celtic fans singing sectarian songs at every Celtic game, yet at every Rangers game you can actually hear them singing about being up to their knees in fenian blood.

That is a fact.

Yes there will probably be a small group of Celtic fans that are just as bud, but amongst Rangers fans it is not a small minority group.

Brandir
22-05-2005, 16:44
So the pro IRA songs, glorifying murder and terrorism are not offensive?

No, they are just as bad as each other.

tzeentchgiant
22-05-2005, 16:52
Bugger Celtic lost, I'll never hear the end of this.

But guys lets not get into that issue of sectarianism. In my opinion they're as bad as each other, even if rangers are a wee bit worse Celtic rise up to them.

Keep it clean, less politics more mocking our loss.

TG

neXus6
22-05-2005, 17:01
As mush as I want to beat Brandir's views into the ground I guess I'll let it slide.

At least Hibs came higher than Hearts.

Brandir
22-05-2005, 17:02
How about celebrating Rangers' victory, helped a lot by their former player Terry Butcher? He must be overjoyed that his Motherwell beat Celtic in the last two minutes, thus ensuring his old club won the Premiership.

I was going to make the standard Englishman's scathing comment about the SPL being a two horse race with no prospect of any other club winning. But, on reflection the English Premiership has been like that for a few years (Man U and Arsenal). Further, it is now a one horse race (Chelsea). So, although it pains me, the SPL seems to be more competitive that the Premiership. Go figure.

neXus6
22-05-2005, 17:08
Yeah the two horse race thing is quite funny. Seeing as there are more teams in the English PL it even being a 4 horse race is just as bad as the SPL being a 2 horse race.

Mind you as long as Man-U don't win anything I'm happy with the state of the English PL.
:p

Brandir
22-05-2005, 17:14
I only wish my own team, the magnificent Burnley, were even within a sniff of getting into the Championship play-offs.

Lord Setra
22-05-2005, 18:28
Well I must say I was extremley happy with todays results.

Not only does it give Celtic a taste of their own medicine. (They usually win their games in the dying minutes) but it also proves that any team can beat an old firm team because Motherwell were well below full strength.

DaViEsW
22-05-2005, 19:34
Always prefered Celtic to Rangers, soley on that they had a cooler looking kit. Been a bit of a bad season for me. :(

Antaeus
22-05-2005, 20:23
At least you won the FA Cup. And some people's fave team got relegated...:(

@Setra: Fair point about the 'Well, and it's a good sign. I just wish other teams would keep that up all season and knock one them off the top (preferably Rangers relegates and celtic in mid-table.)

Up here, I'm a Hibs fan too and I far prefer Celtic to Rangers (I used to be a Celtic fan until they started using a primarily foreign team) - and I agree that Rangers fans are worse than Celtic's on the sectarian front. And I live in the west of Scotland.

neXus6
22-05-2005, 20:58
I've always been a hibs fan ever since I lived within hearing distance of the croud at Easter Road when I was a baby. :)
It really would be nice to see one of the old firm knocked of the top spot, or even 2nd place for that matter. But only if it's by Hibs. :D

DaViEsW
22-05-2005, 22:20
One of my friends is a huge Aberdeen fan. He went to all their home and away games this season, so to see them miss out of Europe by GD (I think?) is good, as he might stfu about how good they are now.

tzeentchgiant
22-05-2005, 22:24
Can't wiat for Celtic to wrestle back the title next year. I just hope I can live this down at school.

Rangers fans are worse than Celtic's on the sectarian front

No more of this sectarian stuff, keep the thread about mockery and celebration, don't venture into those waters.

TG

neXus6
22-05-2005, 22:38
DaViEsW you think that's good...I'm currently living in Aberdeen. :D
:evilgrin:

Antaeus
22-05-2005, 22:47
@TG: 'twas a passing comment, not an attempted detour. And I always regarded the thread starter as the person who should dictate the flow of discussion, not participants. My opinion.

Despite Hibs being my favourite Scottish side I also like Hearts *dodges bricks* ;). Aberdeen are fine as well. In a way what the league needs is for one of the chasing pack to toughen up and pick up maximum points off everyone except the Old Firm: now, I wouldn't want this every year (I like the way the league tends to change a lot from year to year outside of the top 2) but it would be great to see one of them-preferably both-dismounted, even just for one season.

neXus6
22-05-2005, 22:58
The problem with that is that in general the SPL not counting the old firm is pretty well balanced, everyone is capable of taking points of everyone else. Even getting a couple of surprise wins over the old firm generally isn't enough.
You play 3 games against every team (I think, lol) so if you lose all your matches against the old firm that's 18 points dropped, the odds of the old firm team loosing 6 games all season are sadly not very high. So even if a team got a perfect record against the other teams they may still need to get points of the old firm or see them drop points, and neither the winning streak nor the great old firm dropping of points is likely to happen in the very competative arena of the other 10 SPL teams.

Mind you that is the state of pretty much every League ever.

(I'll let the Hearts comment slide seeing as your not from Edinburgh)
:p :D

Antaeus
22-05-2005, 23:17
(I've never really gone in for the negative support element much-hell, I don't mind Ipswich winning a few games as long as they don't beat Norwich, hence my liking Hibs a lot but also being quite fond of the old Heart of M :))

Indeed. If it wasn't for the OF it would be an excellent league. The Old Firm aren't invincible, it's just that none of the others beat them on a regular basis-Motherwell lost the other games against Celtic didn't they? Recently Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs have knocked the odd point or 3 off them, but not regularly (like more than 1 win.)

neXus6
22-05-2005, 23:29
I'm most impressed with Inverness Calley though, coming up and then staying up strongly is pretty good. The contest for the european place does tend to be more interesting, at least from the perspective of someone who doesn't support Celtic or Rangers.
Ah well, roll on next year and a little european jaunt for the mighty Hibs.

Brandir
23-05-2005, 07:30
But will Celtic be challenging for the title with Gordon Strachen in charge of them next season?

Lord Setra
23-05-2005, 12:49
There is a possibilty of Celtic challenging next year. Although the Celtic team may not be as strong as it was last year they will still porvide an excellent challenge to Rangers as they do every year.

I also give hibs and such teams a good chance of sucess this year. They seem to be improving their sides and after motherwell's performance yesterday, i see them doing ectremley well next year.

Riddy
23-05-2005, 14:26
Football is a waste of time in Scotland, since i was born only 2-3 teams have won the league, Ranger, Celtic and one year another team won i think, although it may just have been Rangers and Celtic. This is the reason i no longer follow the football, basketball is more fun to watch anyway.

tzeentchgiant
23-05-2005, 18:01
Football is a waste of time in Scotland, since i was born only 2-3 teams have won the league, Ranger, Celtic and one year another team won i think, although it may just have been Rangers and Celtic. This is the reason i no longer follow the football, basketball is more fun to watch anyway.
:eek: sacralige

The fact that it's a two horse race doesn't make the matches any less exciting, although I have never watched basket ball........

TG

neXus6
23-05-2005, 18:20
Wow yeah Basketball...the sport where the team who misses the most doesn't win. Team gets the ball, team scores, other team gets the ball, team scores...repeat (team that misses a few shot losing).

...yeah, better than football.

Riddy
24-05-2005, 14:16
Wow yeah Basketball...the sport where the team who misses the most doesn't win. Team gets the ball, team scores, other team gets the ball, team scores...repeat (team that misses a few shot losing).

...yeah, better than football.

Each to his own, i prefer basketball to football but then i prefer rugby to basketball too and yet some people probably prefer Bowls to Rugby. Bowls to me is undoubtedly the most boring sport to watch, its almost as bad as golf. Its all down to preferance, no need for sarccy comments :)

neXus6
24-05-2005, 14:31
LoL.
I'd say the worst sport to watch is F1 racing. I don't actually mind watching Bowls. :p

Rugby really is he best. Though Rugby Union is starting to fall to bits because of all the rules problems that have evolved of late. Rugby League flows better. :)

Having now been to a proper Ice Hockey game when I was on holiday in Canada I can say it's pretty cool live. :cool:

Lord Setra
24-05-2005, 21:00
Wooooooo go rugby.

Must agree with Riddy, rugby much better than football, in rugby you dont get the likes of Brazilian players holding their faces when the ball hits their leg.

neXus6
24-05-2005, 21:43
Now come on, that was only ONE Brazilian player.

LoL, well it's always nice to see Scotland throughly cuff someone at rugby. :D

Antaeus
24-05-2005, 21:43
Cricket's my sport (I've been mentioned in the Scotsman's sports section 2 weeks in a row for getting runs for Greenock CC's second XI :)). Rugby V Football: I like watching rugby, but playing football.

neXus6
24-05-2005, 22:05
Cricket just bores me to tears.
It's boring to play (if your teams batting) and boring to watch...lol. Naturally that's just my opinion. :p

wanderingblade
25-05-2005, 04:46
But will Celtic be challenging for the title with Gordon Strachen in charge of them next season?

If he can take Soton to 4th, I see no reason why he can't challenge with Celtic, if not this coming season then the next. Not to mention this Celtic side lost the title more than were never up to it.

Still, congrats to Rangers for winning the SPL and Hibs for winning the Moral SPL :D