PDA

View Full Version : War of the Beard.

Davo
20-02-2010, 21:16
Ok, so me and a pal are going to run a campaign based on War of the Beard. Now I am going to play Dwarfs and my rules are basically no gunpowder, no rare, no master rune of Krag the Grim. As neither of us are big High Elf players am not really sure what restrictions if any should be placed on them. Would 1+ units of Sea Guard be right? Any units that shouldn't be included from the list?
Thanks for any responses! :)

Lord Malorne
20-02-2010, 21:22
Get the back issuses of WD that ran a War of the Beard campaign, it had rules, magic items and I think it even had scenarios.

enyoss
20-02-2010, 21:26
You should probably limit swordmasters, as the Tower of Hoeth wasn't built until much, much, later.

Out of interest, if neither of you are big High Elves players, can I ask why you're theming the campaign around the War of the Beard? :)

Desert Rain
20-02-2010, 21:28
The high elves hasn't exactly changed a lot since the war of the beard. They had the same units back then as they have today, with two exceptions. During those days the Dragon Princes were actual DRAGON princes since each of the rode on a dragon rather than on a horse as they do today. Also the swordmasters of Hoeth didn't exist since their order was founded when the tower of Hoeth was build, a long time after the war of the beard ended.
There were some articles in white dwarf about the war of the beard, but they are about 9 years old now so they aren't exactly easily available.

enyoss
20-02-2010, 22:04
A quick google of `war of the beard pdf' actually turns up some, if not all, of those pdfs. They were on the GW website a long while back :).

Leogun_91
20-02-2010, 22:08
If you play dwarfs why do you use the elven name?

Master rune of Kragg the Grim was common in the old days, it is named after Kragg beacouse he rediscovered it (says so in the rune description).
The dwarfs are betrayed, let them use the ancestral grudge rune against elfs.

I suggest you to model up Gotrek Starbreaker and make ready for war, use all kinds of scenarios (ambush, line-breaker, king of the hill, scenario based etc) to represent a few battles (there are lots of battles but few are described) and then end with a massive siege where both highking Gotrek Starbreaker, Gromrindal the White Dwarf and Caledor II are present. This is the battle of three towers, the siege of Tor Alessi, the final cataclysmic clash of the greatest nations of the world.

Davo
20-02-2010, 22:11
Thankyou very much guys, you've been very helpful. :)

Leogun: I wholeheartedly apologise for that slur I made. I of course mean the War of Vengeance.

Sygerrik
21-02-2010, 02:11
Another vote for definitely getting the back issues. War of the Beard was EPIC. Dwarven characters had access to silly amounts of runes (175 points for a Runelord or something) and a lot of the current restrictions on combining certain runes were lifted (since they were so much better at it back then). There were also unique runes for Dwarves and magic items for Elves. To change the current HE book, there are a couple of specifically anti-Dwarf items that were mentioned as being developed during/after the War of the Beard, so you could either disallow them until late in the campaign or make them more expensive (they're the items that hose dwarves specifically, so you'll want to do that!)

Dreadaxe
21-02-2010, 08:16
http://web.archive.org/web/20070420031153/oz.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/dwarfs/gaming/warofthebeard/introduction.htm

Condottiere
21-02-2010, 08:28
The PDF says Sword Masters are 0-2 choices, which under the old book were 0-1 choices, meaning that in a hybrid setting, restrictions like that wouldn't exist.

Undoubtedly, Elven barbers were busy shaving Dwarves, to create Cloaks that cause fear and hatred.

Razakel
21-02-2010, 09:17
The PDF says Sword Masters are 0-2 choices, which under the old book were 0-1 choices, meaning that in a hybrid setting, restrictions like that wouldn't exist.

Undoubtedly, Elven barbers were busy shaving Dwarves, to create Cloaks that cause fear and hatred.

I don't know why but when I read this I assumed it would run on to one of those clichéd bad jokes.

"A dwarf and an elf walk into a bar..."