PDA

View Full Version : looking for Dark Heresy players

ColonalKlink
22-02-2010, 05:08
hello all, im looking to join a group of dark hersey players in Norwich England, so if any of you are from good ol Norwich please PM me

also, is Dark Heresy any good? if so why?
i would appreciate any imput lads :P

MasterDecoy
22-02-2010, 05:20
cant help you with the group (unless your willing to migrate to oz), but Im running a campeign for my friends, who are really getting into it.

The system is ok, needs a little tuning (and some house rules), but everyone loves the setting.

Mind you though its not a combat game, its a detective game with combat elements, so if your expecting it to be an action packed slugfest, you will be dissapointed.

Tenken
22-02-2010, 05:22
go get rogue trader, the system is alot tighter, and it's alot more fun imo. Your characters are alot more souped up to start with, so you aren't going around hunting mutants with a jammed pistol and a rusty knife.

Oh and always remember to SHOTGUN CHARGE!!!

ColonalKlink
22-02-2010, 05:26
detective game sounds good to me, i like RPG's not Actions RPG's

Earthbeard
22-02-2010, 05:34
You may get a slighter better response in the RPG forum somwhere down below.

If not, try UK roleplayer or something, big forum for this kind of thing! That is if it's still around?

ColonalKlink
22-02-2010, 06:11
ok will do

Dyrnwyn
22-02-2010, 06:28
cant help you with the group (unless your willing to migrate to oz), but Im running a campeign for my friends, who are really getting into it.

The system is ok, needs a little tuning (and some house rules), but everyone loves the setting.

Mind you though its not a combat game, its a detective game with combat elements, so if your expecting it to be an action packed slugfest, you will be dissapointed.

I'm surprised at this opinion of the system. The background for it is a detective story, yes, but all of the rules lend themselves to combat just SO much better than anything else. It's actually a terrible rules framework to run an investigative noir campaign in. Skills are hard to come by, positive modifiers for non-combat checks are limited to a single line of skills, help from another and perhaps a single item. Whereas you can get positive combat modifiers from range, rate of fire, sights, equipment qualities, aiming, stances, multiple combat talents... The system just inherently supports combat better than investigation, whatever the background may be.

When I describe DH to others, I tell them it's an inverted WoD. In WoD making non-combat checks was simple and easy, and combat was not well supported by the system. DH has a very detailed and robust combat system, and a poor non-combat skill system.

ColonalKlink
22-02-2010, 06:37
? really, ok i need a bit of consensus, is it "invetigative" or "shooty/Hacky" as i was more interested in the former not the latter

Tenken
22-02-2010, 06:40
? really, ok i need a bit of consensus, is it "invetigative" or "shooty/Hacky" as i was more interested in the former not the latter

It's WAAAAY more shooty hacky. To be honest the skill system actually bogs down detective work as you need to make a check for EVERYTHING. You can't just say "is there this here?" And have your GM say yes, he's gunna say, well make an investigation check to see if this is relevant, then make a search check to see if you find it.:rolleyes:

Plus it promotes 1 person to be the designated skill monkey (adept), who will then utterly fail in combat, but will completely steal the spot light outside of it because his skill checks are all 20 higher than anyone else.

ColonalKlink
22-02-2010, 06:55
that sounds kinda lame tbh, what other RPG's would you recomend?

Dyrnwyn
22-02-2010, 07:41
DH runs alright as an investigative system so long as your GM is forgiving and runs on the model that a failed check doesn't mean you don't succeed, just that you take longer. A few house rules to provide more equipment and talents to boost certain checks, and investigation can be done as well as combat. Just running it straight out of the box will hamper investigation though. As has been said, Adepts are the skill monkeys who know how to do everything except fight, while everyone else can fight, and do a couple things aside from that.

I'd recommend Alternity if you'd really rather not play DH. The system is out of print, but it's had the best skill/level advancement system I've come across so far, and I'm sure you can find some of the original books online somewhere

MasterDecoy
23-02-2010, 00:43
guessimjust one of those DM's then :S.

I found the combat system too complicated for anything more than 2 enemys at a time, but the investigation side was easy as pie.

Common sense prevails?

Either way, Ive only really played D&D, Shadowrun and DH, so my opinion is probably skewed.

CraftworldsRus
23-02-2010, 01:49
I find World Of Darkness just fine for detective stories, but rather shoddy on combat. Having played a fair amount of systems, I find Legend of the Five Rings to be fairly good at both intrigue and combat. The system wouldn't adapt to 40k really, though. What are you looking to get out of a game?

Tenken
23-02-2010, 01:58
I'd just recommend dnd unless you have your heart set on futuristic sci-fi. If you like cyber punk I've heard good things about shadowrun, though I've never been able to play it. As I said RT is a bit better system out of the gates. I still think it's kind of a bland system tbh, and combat usually boil down to "I shoot, I miss/hit, your turn." Nothing really cool to do in combat.

Mabd
23-02-2010, 04:50
As a player of DH, I enjoy the game immensely, though a lot of that would have to do with the DM we have and the people we play with. Though die rolls can be fairly black and white, it's really up to the DM to provide flavour and players to make something of it.

Thus, I've never had an issue with the rules (bar the most general "how to play rules" I really don't know that many) so I think it's a great game and you can't beat the setting.

One thing to remember, again as a player, you are NOT Patience Kys, Harlon Nayl or Kara Swole... harder than you think. :)

ColonalKlink
23-02-2010, 04:59
ah shadorun.. me and my brothers used to play that (and another guy) my brother was a 6'4" lesbian troll.. fond memories :P