PDA

View Full Version : 1999 tournament this saturday - should i take vamps or gobo's

Sons of Blight
23-02-2010, 14:07
Vamps or Gobo's - which should I take to the tournament?

I feel like I have an equal chance of doing good with either.

Ultimate Life Form
23-02-2010, 14:39
Vampires need that Lord Choice to reach full power, while Goblins pretty much work without any characters (or at least the characters don't make much of a difference among the masses), so... I'd go for Greenskins.

(Also Vampire may suffer from having to conduct a 2000 points army with 1000 points worth of character slots.)

stompy
23-02-2010, 16:31
On the other hand, with goblins, all of your specials, rares and characters are dirt cheap. Even if you max out all of them, you'll struggle to spend more than 900 points, which means you'll end up with over 1000 points to spend on wolf riders and goblins, which is somewhat unnecessary.

Midloo
23-02-2010, 16:43
Vamps or Gobo's - which should I take to the tournament?

I feel like I have an equal chance of doing good with either.

Really? No offense, but you must be either really good with gobbos or really bad with Vamps ;)

rtunian
23-02-2010, 16:48
vamps are handicapped at games less than 2000
gobs are just plain handicapped

i'd go with gobs, but i'm biased towards green

Jind_Singh
23-02-2010, 16:54
Really? No offense, but you must be either really good with gobbos or really bad with Vamps ;)

Not so, I'm accounted by the store vetrans as a good player - not unbeatable by any stretch of the means, but still a hard nut to crack.

I actually enjoy taking the Goblins to tournaments for many reasons:

1) They are not a serious army - I dont mind when things fall apart on me as they are Goblins for Morks sake! This in turn makes the game highly entertaining for me, AND the opponent
2) Suprise, suprise! They can actually beat people! Last tournament i took pure gobbos my mate had pure orcs and we won 2 games, drew 1 - on gaming nights I played the 1000pts gobbos and they were unbeaten over a 3 week period were i faced almost every army (apart from Deamons), and they either won or drew - with more wins than draws.
3) Sporting - everyone loves the greenskins, they love playing them, and they dont mind when occasionally they get smashed by them - and providing you play them in the right spirit - so lots of gobbo shouting, squabbling with your minis, and generally playing the character, you'll be bang on for picking up sportsman awards too - im always in character with the greenskins, be it a tournament or a pick-up game on tuesday nights - they are just too cool not to be!
4) Interesting lists - you can take a varied and interesting list with them with so many units to choose form!

I'd personally take 2 pump wagons for my rares, 10 squig hoppers, 2 spear chuckas, wolf chariot for my specials, and then night gobbo big boss on giant squig as general, level 2 shaman with staff of badum and mushrooms, forest gobbo big boss on giagantic spider as my bsb - three characters.

then i'd load out the army as much as i could with core units with lotsa fast cav!

It would be an epic army! totally worth taking, and makes the entire day really amazing - and does wonder for your comp scores

need i say more?!

1000pts - night gobbo big boss on giant squig, night goblin shaman, 30 night gobbo spears, netters, full command, 1 fanatic, 20 night gobbo archers, musician, 1 fanatic, 2 units of 5 spider riders, bows, musician, 5 wolf riders, bows, musician, 5 squig hoppers, 2 spear chuckas, 2 pump wagons

another 999 points would see 1 more special, 5 more squig hoppers, and then 1 or 2 more units of fast cav and maybe 1 or 2 more night goblin units, and the bsb

ekalb
23-02-2010, 17:03
I would go all green skin just for the fun of it, but vamps would be much more reliable.

Orcboy_Phil
24-02-2010, 12:13
Gobbos all the way.

selone
24-02-2010, 14:08
Err, neither :p Orcs at 1999 is't bad but gobbos, aggggh the models, so many models

Midloo
24-02-2010, 15:45
It would be an epic army! totally worth taking, and makes the entire day really amazing - and does wonder for your comp scores

Sure sure.... goblins are tons of fun to play and are highly enjoyable to take to a tournament. I love my greenskins... but the OP said he thought he had an equal chance at doing well with either.

Certainly keeping it below 2000pts and not allowing VC to take some of the big nasties dings them a bit, but I'd still say it's a stretch to say that goblins are going to be as succesful in the tournament environment. Maybe the event is sturctured in a way that will help them (comp, scenarios, etc), but it's still an uphill fight. That was my only point... I would never argue that they aren't a blast to play - they are! :)

Sons of Blight
24-02-2010, 18:46
the comp is no special characters

zak
24-02-2010, 19:27
Go for Greenies. You may not win, but you'll do it in style. Additionally when you do win you will have won with tactics rather than using an over powered point and click type army.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
25-02-2010, 15:52
I would go with the gobbos but that is because I love gobbos and mine did wel in a 1999pts tourny( 5chariots:p)

Cheers,
G

Sons of Blight
25-02-2010, 20:23
I believe someone is bringing a demon army with 14 power dice and 5 bound items... So green skins it is! luck is the only way ill get threw this! mork protects!

Toshiro
25-02-2010, 22:33
awesome :p