PDA

View Full Version : Would you play online?

Malorian
23-02-2010, 20:50
I started this thread here on the idea of online battles but what the issue really comes down to is would people use it?

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4424037#post4424037

So, if Warseer had a system by which you could game against other Warrseerites, having it's own dice rolling and diagram making programs, would you use it?

And if so would you become a paying member to use it?

Please vote and let us know.

selone
23-02-2010, 20:58
I'd probably not use it but never say never I might try it and who knows what'd happen. I voted might use it once and a while.

blackjack
23-02-2010, 21:02
I would use it until the GW legal team shut it down.

See Vassal for a great attempt at online 40k that was shut down.

Razakel
23-02-2010, 22:38
Voted once in a while, but as said above, the probability of it being shut down is quite high.

Gork or Possibly Mork
23-02-2010, 23:15
I wouldn't use it tbh. I don't know I guess Im more of a up close and personal type player. I did enjoy your game with oncebitten.

Looking at that thread you posted I see no reason why a terrain, ruler measurement and square blocks and dice generator software would infringe on GW IP in anyway. As a matter of fact I think there already is a program someone created but it didn't have a measuring tool or dice gen iirc. It was more just a handy tool for making batrep with diagrams. I don't recall the name or if it even exist anymore but I remember trying it once. I think theres a 3d program that does it as well. I've heard of it but Im not really sure.

Like you said you still need GW rules etc. and I don't see how any of the above is an infringment on GW's IP. However they may have some claim to it if it's in any way associated with them. The big problem with this is you don't need models which GW could claim it's hurting thier sales. Im no lawyer but you can bet your ass they would eventually have a problem with it.

Looking at Winterminute's response in that thread It seemed he didn't wanna touch it with a ten foot pole. Can't really blame him either. It's not something you tread lightly with even if logic tells you it would in no way be a threat to GW's IP.

enyoss
24-02-2010, 01:12
Part of the attraction of the hobby for me is the physical interaction with the models and the social interaction with my opponent, best enjoyed over a beer or two :). Even though I don't get to play anywhere near as often as I'd like (not a sausage since I moved to LA :(), for those reasons I don't think I'd use an online substitute. Sorry!

When I was in London though, EvC (god rest his banned soul) told me he played online in this way from time to time, although I can't remember what he thought of it.

ChaosVC
24-02-2010, 01:37
No, the game system is not really that great of an attraction for me to really want to play it online. I am into the hobby for the models and the painting and conversions. Hell I even started tyranids because I love the models but dislike the game. Also, the important element that make the game fun is to play with like minded people and warseer is seriously lacking in that very element. So its a no no for me.

burad
24-02-2010, 03:57
I'm a miniatures gamer. I have no interest in an online version, except as a means of running a campaign to generate scenarios.

ScalySkin
24-02-2010, 05:14
I'm not sure how this would work, but it sounds like fun. I still prefer putting the models I have worked hard on onto the battlefield, but it would be great to play people from around the world. If GW developed a game allowing for online warhammer play and the ability to define all the colors of your army, that would be something I'd pay for. (unfortunately if anyone else other than GW did it, GW would shut it down)

Samus_aran115
24-02-2010, 05:17
If it's like vassal...Definitely not. I hate vassal's sprite system. Not to mention the ridiculous "dice pool"...ugh

But no. I would'nt anyway. I have real people to play with haha.

Darkspear
24-02-2010, 05:26
I will only play once in a while if the price is reasonable. I appreciate the fact that such a mechanism allows people to play against opponents in distant countries. However I will still play the real thing with my countrymen and friends.

kormas
24-02-2010, 07:29
i would play the way that you and once bitten played, i reckon it could be fun....not sure f i would have the time tho..

Djekar
24-02-2010, 07:54
I'd do it, even if I had to pay - if the price was reasonable. I have very few friends in the area so I get games in at best once a month. This sounds awesome to me. I could play with them online more often and against some of the other Warseerites to branch out and really wade into the tactics the likes of which I usually just get to think about.

I'd be scared that I'd meet a lot of people who could no longer get a game because of poor sportsmanship/ attitude online though, but then I'm kind of a pessimist.

Another thing I'm a little worried about that this might decouple the game from the hobby, which is something that I (and GW) would be very unhappy with.

The Red Scourge
24-02-2010, 09:36
The game has shoddy rules and poor balance, great models and fluff + its great for spending an afternoon drinking beer and talkin' trash.

Going online reduces this to shoddy rules and poor balance - not much appeal left :p

Zapfork
24-02-2010, 10:20
I second The Red Scourge

Toshiro
24-02-2010, 10:54
well, I'd probably use it on occasions if it was free, to be able to play against opponents I otherwise couldn't :)

EmperorNorton
24-02-2010, 10:56
The game has shoddy rules and poor balance, great models and fluff + its great for spending an afternoon drinking beer and talkin' trash.

Going online reduces this to shoddy rules and poor balance - not much appeal left :p

That's the reason I voted no.

Once Bitten
24-02-2010, 13:48
I love the f-2-f interaction of WFB, but sometimes I simply can't find a game - and I've heard a lot of people complaining on this board about how they don't play much because they can't find a game. The ability to play online would expand my circle of potential opponents - and allow me to play a game from 11:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m. on a Saturday night - or perhaps when I'm on an extended business trip and have nothing of value to do in the evening. It wouldn't replace my normal games.