PDA

View Full Version : Bastard titans - would it work?

Mr Scratch & Sniff
23-02-2010, 22:49
Ok, so I want a proper Titan for my Apoc games but I'm torn between the two;

I Love the Imperetor Titans legs, with the feet that double up as assault ramps for the men it carries that look like cathedral entrances, very gothic looking. But I hate the towers on its back. Just doesn't seem to work for me. I do love the Plasma Anhilatior though (sorry about spelling!)

'Mars pattern Warlord' titans look the dogs danglies in my book of nonsense, but dont carry any bod's or plasma anhiliator (sorry spelling again!!)

I collecet chaos and love the idea of having a titan cross between feet, adorned with spikes and daenomic symbols across the steps, with the warlord look for the rest. ultimatly it would be a Imperetor that looks like a warlord.

Does that make sense?

Would I get away with it because its chaos and pretty much anyting goes or would it be a case of "I'm not play that, it's cheating!!"

Finally how tall should an Imperetor be? A space marine is about 4.5cm tall and on wikipedia it says an Imperator is over 200 feet (60 meters) Since an Astrates is suposed to be about 7ft tall would that mean the titan should be around 1.2 meters tall in gaming terms?

johnwayne
23-02-2010, 22:51
yes. definitely. 1,2m. but that is with the church on its back included.

Sleazy
23-02-2010, 22:54
First off I reckon an Imperator should be 30"+.(40" at most) dont get fooled into building one 8' tall.

Secondly if you go to all that trouble and it looks cool then people will love it. Take a look at BulldogUK's "beetleback" titan here or on Tanks and Trolls. Its waaay oversized for a warlord but utterly superb.

johnwayne
23-02-2010, 22:59
I'm sorry about that respons. The thought of a meter tall battle robot was too awesome for my brain :)
If anyone would attempt such a built, it would be a crime not to include the cathedral, btw.

Yes, I believe 30 to 40 cm tall for a titan would suffice. Centimetres, not inches.

Mannimarco
23-02-2010, 23:08
could be an interesting project, check this out:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153994&highlight=builds+titan

i know its a warlord but still cool

StormWulfen
23-02-2010, 23:10
If you don't like the castle look on the Imperator then when you create your own why not make it more like a modern fort? (square blocky shapes ect) I think it would tie in better with the mars pattern warlord look you like and it would prevent any claims its not an Imperator. (also I think it would look a hell of a lot better that the fantasy style castle the Epic model has, and would fit in better with the style of fortifications that are described in 40k background) And obviously you would be able to chaos it up as much as you like ;)

PS: If you do go ahead with this you must make a log for it here as even just typing this response I can picure a really awesome looking titan :cool:

bigcheese76
23-02-2010, 23:10
People arent going to be too bothered wether it is completely the correct size and shape. It is a titan and if you want to put the time and effort into building it, then people should respect that and not just pick holes and flaws.
I think in terms of height, about a metre tall should be ok, thats what I was going for with mine when I started, but unfortunately I didnt proceed with the project.

Bunnahabhain
23-02-2010, 23:15
Titan scale is an issue, as the sources don't agree at all...

Given the smallest Imperial titans ( warhounds) are 12"/ 30cm tall (official FW models) warlords etc should be considerably bigger. I'd go for somewhere between 3 and 4 feet tall myself, but both larger or smaller is reasonable....

As to the model itself, a chaos weird hybrid titan that's even more archaic than imperial ones? Why not? It's chaos, almost anything goes!

Mr Scratch & Sniff
23-02-2010, 23:15
Hi john,

Don't worry all responses welcome.

Sorry but that does seem a tad too small. The forge world reaver is 16 inches (75 feet).

40cm is only about 18inch which seems small for an Imperoter; I'm building a reaver thats about 22inches. it's on the M&T forum:-

Scratch built chaos reaver titan - ideas help welcome - Sorry couldn't resist the chance to plug!!

3ft (36 inch) might work well. still huge, but not so big you need a new extension to play games. lets face it that monster needs a minium of 36inch to fire so what size gamimg board would you need? 12 x 7??

Also could there be some variation to the church back as I really don't like it - sorry all you Imperial lovers out there!!

lord_zyplon
23-02-2010, 23:22
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211270

Check it out. It's a pretty awesome thread, they even decided to scale up the titans!

Mr Scratch & Sniff
23-02-2010, 23:35
Wow, thanks for such great response so far!

Just to give you some more info, this would be an Iron Warriors titan. I like the idea of blocky towers and would defo try to stay away from the fantasy spires look from the epic model.

This will become a project log, sometime.

It sounds daft but I love the image of huge legs with arched doors, surronded by daenomic symbols, spikes, gargoyles and heavy bolter gun emplacemets to support the troops who charge down steps edged with yellow and black shevrons - and don't forget that ridiculas Plasma Ahnilanaitor (spelling, I know!)

The head could mimic the Iron Warriors 'Grinning skull' emblum. But the rest.....

Mr Scratch & Sniff
23-02-2010, 23:37
By the way- Thanks lord zyplon - It was these two nutters that gave me insperation for this project in the first place!!

Jackmojo
24-02-2010, 00:14
This guy has an Emperor class in Mars style. (http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=15047)

Jack

Binky
24-02-2010, 08:28
Based on the FW models I believe the general consensous is that a Warlord should be about 22" tall to the top of it's weapons (Warhound 10", Reaver 16")

Mr Scratch & Sniff
24-02-2010, 08:49
Going back to Mannimarco's link, I've had another idea:-

That titan is Epic, too big for my table (or floor), but what if you had a monster tit like that which came apart to reveal it's interior!

you could have a Necromunda style game running around a normal battle. Say an ellite unit (Death watch maybe?) have infiltrated the titan and are fighting their way up the levels to take command of the bridge (or head) or they might be attempting to blow apart it's plasma reator with melta bombs!!

Yeah it would be a HUGE project, as massive in scope as it be tall, but it could act as a center piece for a battle. Bit like X-wings trying to blow up the Death Star!!

Hows that sound?

Mr Scratch & Sniff
01-03-2010, 09:05
So I guess it would be fair to say that 35inches would be a good size.

I was thinking about the towers again. It does look like its carrying a small city on its back. That said I thought what if top could come off and double up as a terrain piece?
It would be around 12" - 16"square so could make a nice fort for a take and hold mission. This would also make painting a bit easy.
As to the look I'm still undecided. I think I would like to have them all linked with gantrys and walkways, lots of spikes and maybe a few 'eight pionted star' symbols and banners.

Doppleskanger
01-03-2010, 12:51
Hi, good luck with this one!

I would be pretty sure that there isn't a single repeated design for Imperator class titans. I mean this things are not just rolling off an assembly line on some Forgeworld. I really think each one would be a bespoke, custom designed monster, perhaps the crowning achievement of a Fabricator generals career. Whilst we all have a fixed image of an Imperator based on the old epic model, I like to think that that was simply a single example and doesn't necessarily fix the look down.
So I say design it however you want, as long as the size is appropriate. In game terms all that's up there is what, a defence laser, a cannon of some sort and four smaller guns? Well as long as you put them on then its an Imperarator, no matter what shape you build it.

Dreachon
01-03-2010, 16:08
Another thing to keep in mind is that the epic emperor titan is very dated, it's still a 2nd edition design, when you compare the epic warhound and reaver to FW's reincarnation you'll see the difference, this will also allow you to make changes to the emperor titan, the cathedral could be a more functional fortress for instance, also as a mars pattern it's gonna have round armour.

Mr Scratch & Sniff
16-03-2010, 21:53
Just found this pick of a warlord converted into a Lucius style Emperor
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq37/Mr_ScratchandSniff/Misc/engine33.jpg

I like this a lot and think I would go with something like this. It does not look dated like the epic version and should scale up nicely