PDA

View Full Version : better looking model range

Logan_uc
24-02-2010, 01:03
which is the best looking model range , all model ranges have some things that should not have seen the light of day, but overall which one you think is the best.
if you choose a option with multiple armys, please state which one is your vote for.

Preacher
24-02-2010, 01:14
If you mean which army in GW terms, my vote is for Wood Elves. For the most part just about every unit is pretty solid(with some obvious exceptions). But overall, they are great sculpts, too bad its just sooooo much metal.

I just started painting Lizardmen and I've gotta say, they are some really nice minis. The EOTG, Temple Guard, Saurus are quite nice models. They have some nice characters as well.

Bretts need to be mentioned. When fully painted there are few armies which look better then the fully ranked units of knights.

Overall..... Wood Elves.

Had to edit my post, the poll wasn't there yet lol.

Dantès
24-02-2010, 01:34
Brets have very beautiful models, but my vote went for WoC. The new Gors look great, as do the Ungor Raiders, but since they're all lumped up in a great overarching 'Chaos' group then I voted based not just on those but the Chaos Knights, the Chaos Lord on horse, and the Marauder Horsemen.

ChaosVC
24-02-2010, 01:45
I am too bias and would definately go for Chaos warriors...thats why I am not voting.

I believe that the looks of each army appeal to different people, for example, I think brets are ugly but a number of friends I know love the bret looks. So I would say it is pretty subjective. Another example would be the minotuars for Beastman, I like them, nuff said.

Stegadeth
24-02-2010, 01:51
Lizardmen, of course. I chose this Army mostly because of how it looks. If I could do multiple choice I would also go with Skaven and O&G. I really like Tomb Kings too, but they could use a new revision and hopefully will get some updates when (or is it now if?) they get a new Army Book. Depending on the date of the Army Book release and what it does for the Army I am considering having a second Army of either TK or all Goblins.

outbreak
24-02-2010, 02:00
i went for skaven. Alot of their sculpting is very stylized and possibly not to some peoples tastes but once you actually hold the kits it really is a major step up in details and quality imo. If i went purely on looks i'd be looking at skaven\ lizardmen\ogres most likely.

Logan_uc
24-02-2010, 02:11
Brets have very beautiful models, but my vote went for WoC. The new Gors look great, as do the Ungor Raiders, but since they're all lumped up in a great overarching 'Chaos' group then I voted based not just on those but the Chaos Knights, the Chaos Lord on horse, and the Marauder Horsemen.

this tread isnt for "i like one or two models", its for the army list that has the better overall quality of models. Chaos spawns, pumbagors, minotaurs, shamans etc, i dont think they are any good, unless you like them.
the point is a good model range cant have 1/3 of the models looking like barf.

Dantès
24-02-2010, 04:04
this tread isnt for "i like one or two models", its for the army list that has the better overall quality of models. Chaos spawns, pumbagors, minotaurs, shamans etc, i dont think they are any good, unless you like them.
the point is a good model range cant have 1/3 of the models looking like barf.

Every army has it's share of 'barf' models, you just pick one that you don't have to use the 'barf' ones and make sure whatever's left over appeals to you. The only model in the Chaos range I really don't like is the spawn. It really is a crap model. And I actually like the razorgor...if you see it up close, painted in a good scheme, it looks much, much better. And so do the minos, to be fair. I just think GW chose crap schemes for them.

Hicks
24-02-2010, 04:38
I really like the look of the dwarfs, but skaven and WoC also have really good models.

Valtiel
24-02-2010, 04:59
I am pretty torn here. Warriors of Chaos and Daemons of Chaos got plenty of nice models (WoC most so, some DoC models aren't too good) but with the Beastmen... well let's say they messed up a couple of times. If I were to vote on one of these armies, I'd say Warriors of Chaos but that's probably because I play them. ;P

Other armies would be Skaven, Dark Elves and High Elves I believe. The last two mostly because of their nice elite infantry models which rock. Not sure what to vote on the poll though. :/

Jind_Singh
24-02-2010, 06:14
you bugger! There has to be a new option called:

Ogre Kingdoms AND Orcs and Goblins!

Now if there was an option for Goblins only I would vote for pure Goblins - great models, so much character, they really capture the sneaky yet cool looking and fun nature of the lil green sneaks!

But overall the orc side of the greenskins takes the votes down - so I voted for Ogres.

Plastic range - amazing
characters - super amazing
maneaters - best models in Fantasy
Scrap launcher - YEAH!
Giant - wicked good

Yethees & gorgers - so-so, not great

so pretty much the overall army got my votes!

shelfunit.
24-02-2010, 07:04
I voted skaven, I saw the newer stormvermin and clanrats with doomwheel just before release at Warhammer world and was highly impressed at the extra "rattyness" that has increased since the last release. Also the tails that allow you to rank up may have helped...

Poseidal
24-02-2010, 07:13
I like WoC but aren't they (along with Beastmen and DoC) have a few 'letdown' models that could have been done better, as well as some legacy models which would do well with an update.

I voted Elves though there are some letdowns among them too, they have less o_O models than the Chaos factions.

Empire would be up there if the state troops were a bit more like the old ones. I can't think of anything awful at the moment though.

Brettonians and Lizardmen are quite nice, but have some let down units in them too.

Desert Rain
24-02-2010, 07:47
Warriors of Chaos as a really good model range, but daemons and beasts aren't that great.
The new skaven are really good as well, as are the elves. I think I'll vote for the elves based on overall look since they all have some bad models but the overall look of a painted elven army is fantastic.

ChaosVC
24-02-2010, 07:52
If only empire models are sculpted the way the renassiance artist have depicted them to be, man in puffy sleaves and pants, most importantly those awesome stylish tights, showing off their manhood and all. Whoohoo!

Cartoon
24-02-2010, 07:55
I adore my WoC, especially my chosen and lord choices. I really wish the knights still had those big fur cloaks though. The new skaven stormvermin are super cool too, so this was a tough choice but in the end my heart just says Chaos.

The Red Scourge
24-02-2010, 08:30
Its quite unfair to stick woodies with ze darkies, and the pansies. Wood elf models are so much better than the "I need a tall helmet to compensate for genital deficiencies"-look of the lesser elves.

ChaosVC
24-02-2010, 08:48
And you wonder why the woodies trees are full of holes....

Dr Death
24-02-2010, 13:13
Consistency is an important factor for me as is sculpt quality so that puts a bit of a spanner in the works since a lot of armies (Dark Elves, Orcs and Goblins, Skaven, Warriors of Chaos and to a lesser extent vampire counts and tomb kings) are currently riding the barbed wire fence of a hybrid look.

Of the others, my own Empire ride surprisingly high despite the lack of slash and puff clothing on the current state troops and the muscle-bound flagellants. On the whole the army looks like it does belong to a single race and the number of plastics ensure that. On the downside the metal models (basically the characters) have been a bit of a let down- mechanical steed, Kurt Helborg and Ludwig Schwarzhelm, the rather exaggerated warrior priests.

When the Brettonian range was first released in 6th edition i really disliked the models- i thought the overemphasis on the shield motif and the clashing colours were a proper assault on the senses but over the years (and blimey it's already been 6 years) they have seriously grown on me with the only real weak link in terms of quality being the Fay Enchantress (though the grail knights are a proper anti-climax).

The Beastmen i actually think are pretty good models and in terms of range consistency they score highly (the aged shaman models being an exception) however there have been some real sculpting brainfarts that have spoilt the range both in 6th edition and now in 7th (Razorgor, Chaos Ogres, and to a slightly lesser extent the Minotaurs)

The Dwarfs just don't float my boat- i loved them when they had that strong norse link back in 6th edition but it was Mark Gibbons shamelessly overblown additions to the look with their revamp that killed enthusiasm for me.

Ogre Kingdoms of course have huge range consistency- there's only been one edition, but i hate the concept of the army and there are enough guffs in the range to spoil them as a contender.

The Lizardmen were systematically ruined for me as a race in 6th edition. Not a drop of any coolness the race had survived the reimagining of the Saurus and even now, it is only the stegadon and slann creature designs which give the faintest hope of a return to form.

The Wood Elves are one of the armies which is a contender for the best model range. The reinvention from a kind of robin hood men in tights style into these half-feral avengers of the forest is incredible and the result has been a range full of consistency and character. There are a few duds (Treeman, Orion, Lords on Stag and Eagle and the wildriders), but lets face it, your hardly short of material to replace them.

Dr Death

Lord Malorne
24-02-2010, 13:24
Wood Elves and only wood elves.

Stuffburger
24-02-2010, 13:52
I voted O&G, since they are very conducive to conversions with their tendencies to loot and squabble and their general over the top nature.

With just vanilla models... O&G is pretty bland. Maybe WE or LM... every race to me has some standouts and some models that just feel uninspired.

The SkaerKrow
24-02-2010, 13:53
To quote a fellow WarSeer...

N0th1ng c4n b34t 3lv3s!

Condottiere
24-02-2010, 13:58
I rather like the DE range, though DoW have some very interesting models.

lord ugwart
24-02-2010, 14:58
I went with orcs and goblins. It was surprising to see brets ranked highly. I also think wood elves rate quite high, although they are a bugger to paint.
Shocking to see how the once loved dwarves have fallen so much out of favour.

Havesome
24-02-2010, 16:31
I picked O&G. I think they just have so much personality and even when I didn't have them as an army I always liked to look at other players O&G armies.

Tokamak
24-02-2010, 16:34
Went with ogres, we're talking range here, so even though there are armies with better models, the OK have a very consistent style (well they're only one release DUH, still...).

Dwalin
24-02-2010, 16:54
My vote is for the wood elves. I can't even think of a model I dislike in the range!

zak
24-02-2010, 17:34
For me it is the Skaven range. The new models they released were very good and rank well, which was a bonus. There are not many bad sculpts in the entire range and with new Rat Ogres they would really go way ahead of the competition.
The Orcs were a contender until I remembered the horrid plastic Warboss kit.

TheDarkDuke
24-02-2010, 18:12
To me, top to bottom Ogre Kingdoms are the best. There is not a single model I go... why? I started them due to the hero and yhetee models, but grew to love the plastics big time, so much different in hand, and are punished by 'Eavy Metal painting.

However I would put Skaven and Dark Elf above them in top sculpts, but weaker overall range. Skaven were really boosted with current releases, and great hero models. Dark Elf had some wonderful old metal sculpts and were added with simply beautiful new plastics. Both armies do suffer from below par or below the quality in their own range, which drags them below the number one spot for me. They are also more soundly balanced IMO modelwise then many of the other armies.

Midevil216
24-02-2010, 19:56
Dark Elves

Lijacote
24-02-2010, 22:11
Elves as a group are possibly unbeatable. Though high elves have no really pretty models, dark elves and wood elves both sport mostly excellent ranges.

Plagueridden
25-02-2010, 00:27
Skaven;

the very old (80's) and the very new.
wonderful stuff imho.

Vermin-thing
25-02-2010, 00:54
Beast looks? Skaven by far.

Favorite? Most likely Beastmen and those silly ungors.

Logan_uc
25-02-2010, 02:19
im very surprised, that skaven are doing so well!!, i dont like the ratmen, its true, but i thought that the plague monks, ratogres, and the old models had a lot of hate (they are IMHO some of the worst models out there).

outbreak
25-02-2010, 02:27
i'm surprised so many said wood elves, to me their probably one of the worst ranges! i guess everyones different.

Naeni
25-02-2010, 09:00
Chaos. Tentacley.

Logan_uc
25-02-2010, 16:30
Ok i think i need to explain way i put elves and chaos in one group.
you can only make ten choices for the poll, and it seams that they where the best choices to make in one.
for chaos i didnt think they will do so well, i play chaos (except beast since the new army book), and IMHO they have a lot of craptastic models.
for elves, although they have some very very good models, i new that people would vote for them because (cant imagine way) a lot of people love there pansies and there army of ultimate pansieness of doom.