PDA

View Full Version : Cannon Fire and Combat

Adlan
22-05-2005, 19:39
Hello all,
bit of an odd question (might be really obvious answer too) but,
Can you fire a Cannon into close combat?
my question arrises from the point that you only guess the range, rather than shoot at a unit (except with grapeshot, but then would grape be any different?)

Thanks for any thoughts, replies, but most fo all thanks for anyone who can give me deffinate answer.

Roman
22-05-2005, 19:46
yes you can, its more of a sniperrifle than an actual cannon imo.

mageith
22-05-2005, 20:58
Hello all,
bit of an odd question (might be really obvious answer too) but,
Can you fire a Cannon into close combat?

You can't fire anything into close combat on purpose unless specifically noted. 60 Anyway, that's how most folks play it, AFAIK. Other than pointing at a target the cannon "is not limited by targeting restrictions." (Chron 4, 123)

my question arrises from the point that you only guess the range, rather than shoot at a unit (except with grapeshot, but then would grape be any different?)

Thanks for any thoughts, replies, but most fo all thanks for anyone who can give
me deffinate answer.

In that case, you can definitely shoot into close combat but only because its an accident.

Cannons do select targets, at least they must point at a target (Chron 4, 123)

A definitive answer for this is hard to come by.

Mage Ith

Crazy Harborc
22-05-2005, 21:09
When it has happened in a game or two, we divided the potential hits between both units (keep in mind fighting units aren't intermixed in HtH for convenience, to keep it simple).

Adlan
22-05-2005, 21:10
hmmmm, to answers both different, good old portent ;)
i ask because i'm treating myself to a new army after my exams and was planning on taking it to conflict next year (conflict norwich this year was a blast)
So does anyone know of anyway i could find out the official gamesworkshop position (or at least what position the gamesworkshop discision in a tournament would be )

Because otherwise i'm going to have to rethink my army (bronzino and a pike wall)

Sylass
22-05-2005, 21:22
Just listen to mageith ;)

Without a special rule like e.g. the 'Life is cheap' rule from the Skaven army, you can't choose to shoot into close combat.

mageith
22-05-2005, 21:34
hmmmm, to answers both different, good old portent ;)
i ask because i'm treating myself to a new army after my exams and was planning on taking it to conflict next year (conflict norwich this year was a blast)
So does anyone know of anyway i could find out the official gamesworkshop position (or at least what position the gamesworkshop discision in a tournament would be )

I'd be interested in that too. Until that comes, if you are thinking of routinely firing your cannon into close combat be prepared for bad feedback and bad sportsmanship assuming you can convince your opponent and/or the judge it is legal.

Right now firing at an individual character near or in unit of similar sized models is considered quite unsporting and yet no one claims it is illegal.

If shooting into close combat is a targeting restriction, the cannon is immune to it. I think most folks think this immunity only refers to targeting characters in or near a unit so cannons can legally do that, at least.

If your concept is so fragile that not being able to fire into close combat would ruin it, I'd probably come up with a new concept. Besides what dog of war would sign on under a mercenary general who routinely shoots his own 'men'? After all, they are only doing for the money.

If it does fire into close combat, there is a process to which Harborc alludes. It is on page 61. This assumes a cannon shoots a line template, which IMO, it does.

Mage Ith

Adlan
22-05-2005, 21:57
I'm afraid lots of my plan is based around cannon death ness,
Trap the enemy with the wall of pikes, protect flanks with dulists, thin out with crossbow fire, and roll up the flanks by breaking units, with grapeshot and cannon fire from bronzino.

reading the rules, i do think it is a bit iffy, it's just the historian in me loves the idea of napolionic 6 pounders being used in conjunction with a pikewall.
I really can't make an unbiased discion eitherway.

Adlan
23-05-2005, 19:11
Ah i have got a reply from GW
they state that "On page 122 of the Warhammer fantasy rule book it does say that the cannon is not affected by targeting restrictions as long as it can see its target, the rule on page 60 however takes priority as it refers to all shooting, regardless of its source."

So thats that, which means new plan, still cannony death, but with lost of dulists. :p

Scythe
25-05-2005, 14:25
Of course, it's often hard to draw a line between 'accidential miss' and 'deliberate overshot'. We just use some common sense, and a bit of sportmanship never hurts either. I definitely disapprove with it as a 'tactic' to tacle those chosen knights. However a cannonball accidential smashing into your own ranks is also fun from time to time...;)