PDA

View Full Version : The new and improved adventures of Konrad!

BigbyWolf
24-02-2010, 17:53
Konrad stared at the bright stars in the night sky, his forehead deeply furrowed, possibly pondering all the mishaps and setbacks that had afflicted his latest attempt to conquer the entire known world, but more then likely he was just trying to remember his own name. Orlov, his ever-present Wight bodyguard stood stiffly to attention next to him, awaiting his masters command. With an giggle and an exclamation of "Mittens!" The count turned to him..."Orlov!" he burbled, traces of his recent dinner trickling down his chin, "Vhy are ve here?"

The ancient warrior sighed, or at least he would have done if he had a wind-pipe, or a tongue, or a even a vague memory of how to sigh. All his telepathy would allow was to give the count a fuzzy image of a man banging his head against a brick wall. "Must I get the illustrated chart again, master?" wordlessly he boomed inside Konrads head. The count looked puzzled, or constipated, it was always hard to tell which, before a look of vague of comprehension crossed his face. "No...not ZAT chart...at least not now...I don't mean how a man and a voman do it so ve are here...I mean vhy are ve still in this castle...I vant more zan zis...I vant somevhere vith a better view, somevhere I can see the flowers and vatch the sun come up!"

Orlov raised an non-existant eyebrow, but held his non-existant tongue. He knew in times like this it was better to humour his master, if only for the reason that he was tired of stitching his own head back on everytime the count had to be reasoned with. Orlov needed someone to blame, and quickly...his eyes(sockets) wandered the room, ignoring his own reflection in the mirror, and Weyland, the stuffed badger that was currently acting as Konrads other main advisor (and, as the Wight had discovered at the cost of one of his fingers, beyond reproach) before settling on the nervously sweating necromancer in the corner...swiftly his finger flew out, pointing accusingly...

"HIM MASTER!" the Wight roared silently, "The necromancer and his kind...there magic is not helping, but in fact hindering our cause...they do not truly believe. They are holding us back...only by getting rid of them and leading our most elite troops ourselves can we finally triumph against the evil forces of good!" Konrad whooped in joy, and flew at the necromancer, gorging himself on the mans pale flesh and rancid blood. Satisfied, he turned to Orlov..."To arms then, my dear friend...Cry havoc and let loose the Chickens of War!"

And so it begins, dear friends, Konrads all new adventures begin...he's done away with all the magical (and mental) support he had and is, as we speak, marching at the head of his army, stopping occaisonaly to drink, and more often to chase moths and various woodland creatures to offer to his stuffed badger.

My first game begins in an hour or so...pleasingly it's against Empire. I'll post the lists after the game, and the report will follow within 24 hours...providing I can find a decent program to show deployment/ turn movement...failing that I'll just have to describe as best I can...

selone
24-02-2010, 18:49
Hehe nice background story, look forward to the game, gl!

Malorian
24-02-2010, 18:49
I look forward to your reports but you won't be happy to hear that I'm hoping Konrad dies... a lot ;)

I've always thought Konrad was a backwards choice for VC and even worse when he's the general.

Just seems too easy to bait out of unit since he'll have frenzy half the time and has more movement than the unit (if ghouls, skeletons, or grave guard).

How do you plan to protect him? I've heard running him with wolves is the only thing that really works.

BigbyWolf
24-02-2010, 18:58
I look forward to your reports but you won't be happy to hear that I'm hoping Konrad dies... a lot ;)

I've always thought Konrad was a backwards choice for VC and even worse when he's the general.

Just seems too easy to bait out of unit since he'll have frenzy half the time and has more movement than the unit (if ghouls, skeletons, or grave guard).

How do you plan to protect him? I've heard running him with wolves is the only thing that really works.

Well, I'll be posting the updated list before the games...my original 14 games with a similar ethos involved going infantry heavy, and yes...repeatedly baited and shot/ magiced/ taunted to death.

This time around, it's a cav-heavy force, with Konrad joining either Black Knights or Blood Knights.

And yes, all the other characters in the army are Wight Kings. Not a single spell in sight! Konrad is most definately a backwards choice, but that just adds to the fun.

As he's got 2 wounds, T4 and a 5+ save, I'm running a WK in his unit with the regen banner, and for once I honestly don't think anyone can complain about it!

Malorian
24-02-2010, 19:07
And yes, all the other characters in the army are Wight Kings. Not a single spell in sight! Konrad is most definately a backwards choice, but that just adds to the fun.

Cool :)

Well now I'm cheering for you :D

Toshiro
24-02-2010, 19:42
lol, that fluff was hilarious! :D

I'll be watching this thread carefully! :D

happy_doctor
24-02-2010, 19:51
*grabs some popcorn and gets a good seat*

Looking forward to the reports, I am certain that in a somewhat restricted environment vampire counts do not need magic or vamp lords to compete. It's up to you to demonstrate how. ;)

BigbyWolf
24-02-2010, 23:11
*grabs some popcorn and gets a good seat*

Looking forward to the reports, I am certain that in a somewhat restricted environment vampire counts do not need magic or vamp lords to compete. It's up to you to demonstrate how. ;)

Great...no pressure then! ;)

Anyway...just come back from the game, I'll post the result and the rep tomorrow, but in the meantime here are the armies...

Me:

Konrad- 145
Orlov- BSB, Drakenhof Banner, Barded Steed, Lance- 257
Wight King 1- Steed, Sword of Kings- 115
Wight King 2- Steed, Balefire Spike- 110
Total- 617

10 Ghouls- 80
10 Ghouls- 80
10 Ghouls- 80
5 Dire Wolves- 40
5 Dire Wolves- 40
5 Dire Wolves- 40
Total- 360

5 Black Knights- Barding, Hell Knight, Std- 172
5 Black Knights- Std, Banner of Hellish Vigour- 161
5 Black Knights- Std, Banner of Hellfire- 146

5 Blood Knights- Std, Flag of the Blood Keep- 360
Varghulf- 175

Grand total- 2001 (Opponent was made aware of this before the game and was fine with the extra point).

I decided to put Konrad and Orlov in the Barded Black Knight unit, together with the Blood Knights I now have 2 units that pack one hell of a punch. Wight King 1 goes with the Hellish Vigour BKs, and the other Wight goes with the Hellfire ones, so that I have two units capable of magical flaming attacks who have ethereal movement.

The evil forces of the Empire:
(I had a good look at the list after the game, and this is as best as I can recall...)

General of the Empire- Full Plate, Great Weapon, Rod of Command, Holy Relic
Battle Wizard- Grey Wand, Level 2, Lore of Fire
Battle Wizard- 2 Scrolls, Level 2, Lore of Death
BSB- Full Plate, Griffon Standard

25 Swordsmen with detachment of 6 Halberdiers (General)
5 Knights
5 Knights
10 Handgunners (Wizard)
10 Handgunners (Wizard)
10 Huntsmen

25 Greatswords with detachment of 6 Halberdiers (BSB)
Cannon
5 Pistoliers

20 Flagellants

I won't go into deployment now (I'd rather take the time and do a diagram), but when I saw his army I was happy that it was nice and balanced, although he was packing a lot of SCR and support in the centre of his army, and those units of Knights, huntsmen and pistoliers could prove a distraction. Not a great deal of shooting either, but I'd have to be wary of his Fire mage.

Tune in tomorrow to see if Konrad triumphs, or leaves the rest of his army to get butchered as he sits on the floor staring at his shiny swords...

warmong3r
25-02-2010, 00:15
Lol i don't think you meant this but your knights have STD's? ;)

By the way that was some funny fluff :D

EDIT: Wow i looked back on this and i'm sorry. I now know that means standard. *Facepalms*

BigbyWolf
25-02-2010, 15:12
Right, after struggling with Paintshop Pro to make diagrams I'm going to have to resort to my narrative skills to describe the battlefield antics of everyones favourite lunatic (if anyone can suggest a good prgram to use, I'd be forever in your debt...).

So, this game took part in a relatively green part of the Empire, roughly 6ftx 4ft...there were 2 hills on one side of the board and one slightly larger one on the other. I won side choice and went for the double hills, an amazingly tactical decision from Konrad to restrict the shooting of my opponent, and will describe the battle field as I viewed it from left to right.

Roughly central and 8 inches from my left hand side of the board there was a lovely woodland, and about a foot to the right of that and a few inches towards me was a ramshackle farmhouse with a low fence along its border. Along from that and further towards my opponenet was a small campsite, with around 6-7 tents in it. A small river ran through my right corner of the board.

My army deployed from right to left: One unit of Ghouls on the right flank, along with the Knights with the Banner of Hellish Vigour. The other flank was made up of the final 2 units of Ghouls and the Varghulf. The centre of my army was Konrad and his Black Knightsm supported by the Bloods on his right and the flaming Black Knights on his left, these units were screened by 2 units of Direwolfs (henceforth known as dogs...). with the last unit hovering next to the Blook Knights.

The filthy imperial forces deployed there huntsment behind the forest, supported by a unit of Knights and pistoliers, facing my Ghouls and Varghulf, while the other knights took up position on the other flank. His Swordsmen deployed in front of his central hill, supported by the flagellants on the left side and Greatswords on the right (with detachments). He put the Death Wizard and handgunners and cannon on the hill, with the other handgunners and Bright Wizard hanging slightly back on the left side of his battle line, but slightly further back.

Dark_Knight
26-02-2010, 04:31
(Leans forward in seat.) What happened next!? Tell me!!!!!!!!! I kind of think the Empire lost just by dude's list. He was facing a fast Vamp army.

BigbyWolf
26-02-2010, 11:29
(Leans forward in seat.) What happened next!? Tell me!!!!!!!!! I kind of think the Empire lost just by dude's list. He was facing a fast Vamp army.

Sorry everyone...work issues have put a hold on the full rep...should be up by the end of the day or tomorrow morning. I'm sure you can wait that long! ;)

Ultimate Life Form
26-02-2010, 13:32
Gih... Zat vas funny! :p

I'm really looking forward to zis, I vant to know how a Konni army fares! He is one of my favorite characters!

(Is he by chance related to Marius Leitdorf?)

Gammalfarmor
26-02-2010, 18:12
Konni iz ze vampires anzwer to ze great Marius Leitdorf

Malorian
26-02-2010, 19:02
Sorry everyone...work issues have put a hold on the full rep...should be up by the end of the day or tomorrow morning. I'm sure you can wait that long! ;)

I just figured Konrad failed his stupidity test...

"Vat is dis kumputer and vat do I do to make battle reportz?"

:p

(Anyone else notice how vampires seem to talk like slightly educated orcs?)

Ultimate Life Form
26-02-2010, 19:35
(Anyone else notice how vampires seem to talk like slightly educated orcs?)

Nah, zis is German accent most obviously to commemorate Konni's imperial descent I suppose. Yes, zis is how ve Germans speak: like slightly educated Orcs. :p

Gammalfarmor
26-02-2010, 20:22
yu know, ziz thread wantz me to start a vampire army, but ze wallet tells me no

kormas
26-02-2010, 21:22
vow, dis ist zee most coolist armieze evza :)

looking foward to seeing how you make this work :D

BigbyWolf
27-02-2010, 08:13
(Is he by chance related to Marius Leitdorf?)

Have you never noticed that Marius and Konrad have never been seen together in public? The similarites are uncanny...both lunatics, both have a fondness for wielding a magic sword and additional handweapon...the plot thickens!

BigbyWolf
27-02-2010, 09:39
Finally, the first turn arrives!

Due to my displeasing of the dice gods, the pox-ridden Imperials got the first turn, the main body of infantry marched forwards, and the bright wizards handgunners moved forwards 4", the huntsmen moved into the wood and the knight and pistoliers charged up my left flank. Likewise the knights on my right flank moved down towards my flanking forces.

With half his handgunners out of range, the unit that moved drew a bead on Konrads unit, and missed with all their shots. The cannon had slightly better luck, killing two dogs from the unit screening the Blood Knights before the cannonball knocked one of the fabled Knights of Blood Keep off his horse. But the power of their magic banner was strong, and the haughty knight hauled himself back onto his steed, angrily casting aspertions over the parentage of the Imperial gunnery team.

Then the dreaded magic phase kicked in...my opponent had rolled Doom and Darkness and Walking Death for his Death Wizard, and Fireball and Flaming Sword for the Bright Wizard, and started the phase by throwing 3 dice into Doom and Darkness. Strange choice you may think, casting a Ld modifying spell against undead, but when Konrad's in there, it's a useful spell to have!

He rolled a 12. I had two dispel dice (two very nice dispel dice, mind you...), and decided to save them for the obligatory fireball heading my way. Time for the Bright Wizard to do his stuff...he cast fireball (Shock, Horror!), I failed to dispel it, it failed to wound...Konrad looked at the slightly burnt lock of hair on his forehead and roared in anger...now it was my turn!

I rolled the dice for Konrad's test...stupidity! And thanks to D&D Konrad was down to Ld 3...luckily he had Orlov looking over him, who was only reduced to 6...I rolled the dice again, and he passed! All going well so far.

Weighing up my options, I declared a charge with my Varghulf on his Knights on the left flank, moved one unit of his accompanying Ghouls into the wood while the other one moved up behind him. Next I moved my right flank forwards, the Ghouls heading to intercept his knights, while the Helish Vigour BKs wheeled through the abandoned campsite, taking advantage of their steeds ethereal movement.

I sent the unit of dogs covering my Blood Knights right flank across towards the campsite, intending to help out should his knights prove to be a threat. The rest of my army headed towards his infantry.

My shooting? Ha!
My magic? Ha ha!

My combat! The Varghulf slammed into the knights (who passed their terror test, as did the pistoliers...the huntsmen were less lucky and turned tail and fled), A combination of hatred, sharp claws and bad breath downed two of the knights, who's puny lanceless attacks back failed to bother the Varghulf...he was outnumbered, they were vanilla, he won the combat by one...and they failed! The knights ran a decent 10", the Varghulf pursued a pleasing 11".

And we prepared for the second turn...

BigbyWolf
27-02-2010, 10:45
Turn Two:

(Edit: I used my Pd last turn to dispel Doom & Darkness)

Angry from the loss of one of his units of Knights, the final unit declared a charge on my Ghouls near the village, the blocks of infantry edged forwards slightly and the pistoliers moved closer to the exposed unit of ghouls next to the wood. His huntsmen rallied.

One unit of handgunners made up for their lack of accuracy in the first tunr and wiped out the unit of dogs screening Konrad, and the other unit downed a Black Knight in his unit, the cannon once more took aim at the Blood Knights, and this time one of them went down and stayed down. The pistoliers unleashed a flurry of shots at the Ghouls, whittling them down to 4!

Magic again, and this time he attempted to draw my DD with Walking death on his Swordsmen. Again, he rolled high, and I didn't bother to dispell it. Then he turned his attention the the Varghulf that was approaching his lines, one fireball and failed attept to dispell later, and the Varghulf had lost 2 wounds. The Bright Wizard then cast Flaming Sword on himself.

Another quick combat round, this time things went the way of the Knights, who themselves downed 4 Ghouls, and their steed took down another 3...unsurprisingly the remainder crumbled.

My turn again, and now I was ready to get stuck in...Charges were declared as follows...Varghulf on the Bright Wizard and his handgunners, Flaming Knights on the Flagellants, Konrad (Who rolled "Frenzy") and his BKs on the Swordsmen and the Blood Knights on the Greatswords. The remaining unit of 3 dogs with my main battle line engaged the detachment of halberdiers supporting the swordsmen. As expected due to the prescence of his general all units passed the required tests.

My Vigourous Blank Knights moved out of the camp towards the main battle, while the dogs headed past them. My only full unit of ghouls continued their (now very slow) progres sthrough the woods.

Combat from left to right...the Varghulf braved the stand and shoot reaction from the handgunners, and was reduced to his last wound...he declared all his attacks against the Wizard who had nearly BBQ'd him on the previous turn, and ripped him limb from limb, winning the combat and once again breaking his opponents and running them down. This caused the other handgunners to break and flee away from him. The cannon crew, on the other hand, held, smiled, and swiveled their warmachine to point directly at him.

My flaming Black Knights and Wight King virtually broke even against the Flagellants, killing 6, but being unbreakable they didn't go anywhere...Konrad made a challenge to the Imperial General, who cowered behind his lowly unit champion who stepped up to take on the Count. Konrad turned him into a mound of limbs and intestines in a record time, the Black Knights took out a further 4 Swordsmen (3 of them Killing blows...) while Orlov directed his attacks against the General, causing a wound. The general was the only one who could fight back, determined to get rid of Konrads protection before he had to face the deranged count. He hefted his huge sword, hit Orlov 3 time, wounded 3 times, Orlov failed 3 saves...and then regenerated 2 wounds! Despite the SCR of the Swordsmen, the sheer amount of overkill from Konrad and his unit put the Swordsmen at risk of running, but the Rod of Command was revealed, holding them in combat for another turn at least.

The four remaining Blood Knights steamed into the Greatswords, challenging and taking the BSB down to one wound, and killing 8 of the weakling humans, however their improved SCR (and supporting flank-charge from the detachment) meant they held with ease, although the fact that they were stubborn negated most of that.

My three brave doggies pulled down a halberdier, only to have one of their number chopped in return. Tied the combat. Noone really cared.

BigbyWolf
27-02-2010, 12:01
Turn three, and the action was heating up...My charges had been taken and held by the three blocks of infantry in the centre, and now there were no charging bonuses of lances to help me out. On the other hand the Fire Wizard was dead, the other one was running (and continued to run this turn), so at least there was no magic to worry about.

My opponents hunstmen engaged the Ghouls in the wood, his pistoliers, having reduced the other Ghouls to 4 strong (and thus rendering them useless for claiming table quarters) turned tail and headed back to the main battleline. His Knights continued their epic trek around the camp, moving into charge range of my doggies.

With a cry of "Suck on this daddy!" (Yes, it disturbed me too...) he fired his cannon at my Varghulf, and considering he was 3" away, I wasn't shocked when it reduced him to a couple of teeth and a loosely flapping wing.

In combat I rolled very badly for the Ghouls, failing to kill any huntsmen, and losing 3 of my own in return. The flagellents fared poorly against the Black Knights, not killing any and losing a further 4 of their number. Konrad was still frienzied, and his challange was this time accepted by the General, they traded blows, and unsettlingly both ended up on one wound each...Orlov and the Black Knights hacked into the Swordsmen, downing a good number of them, but the thrice-cursed humans held once more.

The Black Knights carved themselves some more Greatswords and cut down the BSB, but then lost one of their number to the flanking halberdiers. A drawn combat...and I was running out of Blood Knights!

My turn came around again, with relief I managed to charge my Black Knights into the flank of the Greatswords, my Direwolves into the knights, and my ghouls ambled slowly after the pistoliers.

In combat his huntsmen again bested the Ghouls, leaving the last 2 to crumble. His flagellents did what they were meant to do, and died easily to the Wights, but still held, despite the fact that only 2 of them remained.

Konrad once again fought the general, this time he slaughtered the weakling human, and the rest of his unit cut down a full rank of Swordsmen, but incredibly they rolled insane courage for their break test! The Greatswords themselves were cut down to a man by the two units of knights, leaving the BLack Knights to overrun, ending up 1" away from the Swordsmen while the Blood Knights were tied down by the Halberdiers, who despite having only 3 left, killed another of the Vampiric Knights and held in combat (Blasted double one's again!)

The direwolves finished of the halberdiers they were in combat with, whilst the other unit was dispatched by the Knights.

Turn 4 came around, looking like it would be the last turn.

His Knights rear charged my Blood Knights, his handgunners and mage rallied and his pistoliers failed their fear test and were unable to charge my Flaming Black Knights, the huntsmen did what bears do in the woods, as there was little else they could do!

His cannon aimed at my Vigorous Black Knights, who had rather cleverly presented a flank view to him...one loud boom later, and it had wiped out all of them iwththe exception of the Wight King! The handgunners had tried to shoot the same unit earlier but missed entirely.

The flagellents were finally wiped out, as were the Swordsmen. His Knights bounced of the Blood Knights, who butchered 3 of then and 2 halberdiers, breaking both units and pursuing the knights.

Due to time constraints we called an end to it there, a victory to Konrad!

I shall post the postgame shortly...

BigbyWolf
27-02-2010, 16:22
So when the noise died down and Konrads blood-lust had been sated, a look across the battlefield showed that the Empire were left with a unit of pistoliers, the huntsmen, a cannon and his death wizard-led handgunners, whereas I had a couple of Blood Knights, two units of Black Knights, Konrad, 3 Wight Kings and 4 Ghouls, it was a victory for me, and mostly satisfying.

Disappointments from my side were the incredible ineffectiveness of the Ghouls, they died to pretty much everything they came into contact with including (surprisingly) the huntsmen.

Man of the match for me would either be the Varghulf, who ate an entire unit of Knights and removed the threat of the Bright Wizard before trying to stop a cannonball with his face, or Konrad, who took out the General and quite a few swordsmen.

In defence of my opponent I will say that when it came to the combats in the centre he had some appalling rolls both to hit my troops and for his saving throws- not one of his swordsmen made a save the entire game!

Luck aside, I was pleased with the way it turned out. Killing blow on S4 cavalry is a good bonus when you get bogged down in combat, and the ethereal movement was a boon that helped my flanking unit move directly through the camp instead of going round it and having to face his knights. This meant they were able to flank the Greatswords when my Blood Knights were looking like going down.

Looking at the list his choice of infantry was a good one (IMO), a unit of unbreakable flagellants, a unit of stubborn greatswords with BSB holding a double rank banner and the Swordsmen with the Rod of Command meant he had three fairly large blocks of troops that could have tied up and beaten down my cav had he not rolled so poorly.

If I had been in his position I think I would have dropped one of the wizards for a Warrior Priest or captain and put him in the Swordsmen as well, because when it came down to it his general was a little unprotected (although he did come close to killing Konrad). I think I would have maybe left the ranged units out as well in favour of some more combat units, as if there had been anything more in the centre of the park I think it could have come a lot differently. Perhaps a couple of cheap throwaway units would have helped as well, something that could have baited my frenzied units instead of letting them slam straight into him.

Boss_Salvage
27-02-2010, 18:55
Nice log so far - madcap list and fun batreps ftw :D

Way to be on that suicide vamp list, 'tis madness indeed.

- Salvage

Toshiro
27-02-2010, 19:17
Great report, looking forward to seeing more of Konrad :D

kormas
27-02-2010, 21:48
wow, loved the report, GO KONRAD, i am really suprised that a list without any magic actualy worked....

BigbyWolf
28-02-2010, 17:17
I'm not surprised that it did fairly well against that Empire army, it's the magic-heavy ones that I'm going to have to look out for, as certain armies I just won't be able to take down, I'm thinking Slann-led Lizardmen or certain High Elf builds will be an issue. A lack of magic offensive is no big problem as far as I'm concerned (most of my other armies just have the humble caddy in them), it's the almost total lack of defence that will be my undoing.

I'm looking forward to facing a combat dwarf or all Khorne army though...imagine how quick those games will go with both sides only focusing on the movement and combat phases!

kormas
03-03-2010, 07:02
yeah, but then i have a feeling that your undead might get a little bit smashed, considering that you genneraly relly on being able to raise back what you loose...

Zapfork
03-03-2010, 14:46
great entertainment, this is the first time a vampire army has my full support. Go konrad!

Malorian
03-03-2010, 14:53
Finally read this. Congrats on the win, it looks like Konrad is off to a good start :)

I won't worry so much about magic heavy as combat heavy.

Konrad is still the auto-destruct button of the army and he isn't really that hard to kill. Look out for those character killers that are going to jump out and try and kill him.

BigbyWolf
03-03-2010, 15:33
Orlov looked at the foreboding trees that loomed in front of them as they approached. Following his masters "divination" of their destined path, they had turned west and crossed the craggy peaks sepatating the Empire from Loren Forest..well, "divination" is a strong word, but it sounded better then suggesting that his master had thrown Ghoul faeces against a map while dancing the Kan-kan with the body of a recently deceased peasant girl...but at least they were marching into battle again.

Konrad had insisted on being given "upsies" by one of the Knights of Blood Keep and was now whooping with joy as the horse cantered across the mossy path behind Orlov, the mad counts arms wrapped tightly around the waist of the stoic, and extremely uncomfortable Knight.

There was a twanging sound, causing Orlov to look ahead swiftly, then a loud "thunk", and an arrow passed before (or more accurately, behind) his eyes. He turned back to Konrad, who looked longingly at the arrow embedded through his lieutenants skull, slid of the horse and spent a minute or two running around the glade trying to catch the incoming arrows with his own head. Orlov shrugged apologetically at the Blood Knight and with the solemn dignity that only a five-hundred year old corpse could achieve, pulled the arrow out of his skull.

Konrad returned to them, having failed to imitate the Wights temporary head-gear, and drew his swords. Raising them above his head he cleared his throat (and far, far away there was the unmistakable sound of two plastic cubes rattling against each other and settling on two very high numbers) and simply stood there (or stood there simply), mouth open, glazed look on his face. Orlov and the knight exchanged embarrassed glances and waited patiently for the order to attack, hoping it would come while they still had some troops left...

So it continues, and if you hadn't guessed, my next opponents are the tree-hugging, tights-wearing Wood Elves!

With the good number of flaming attacks in my army, here's hoping for some Treemen...

Malorian
03-03-2010, 16:44
it sounded better then suggesting that his master had thrown Ghoul faeces against a map while dancing the Kan-kan with the body of a recently deceased peasant girl.

Your fluff is great :D

BigbyWolf
03-03-2010, 16:54

You fluff is great :D

Many thanks! Although I haven't quite finished it yet...was just filling time before work finished...I'm adding more as we speak...

Toshiro
03-03-2010, 18:54
lol, love it, love it so much :D

BigbyWolf
04-03-2010, 07:56
I'm always happy to amuse!

I've played my next opponent a couple of times before, and he uses a mixed army...led by a Lev 4 with alter and a branchwraith or bsb...he also likes a unit of treekin and a treeman (good, from my point of view), and he also likes the odd waywatcher or 6, which can turn out to be bad...

Gammalfarmor
06-03-2010, 16:52
after being away for a week and away from the forums this have given me time to reflect on my new army, I think it's very possible that a certain necromancer will come to me :D

BigbyWolf
06-03-2010, 17:43
after being away for a week and away from the forums this have given me time to reflect on my new army, I think it's very possible that a certain necromancer will come to me :D

Necromancer? Bah! That's a dirty word on this here thread! ;)

Brotheroracle
07-03-2010, 00:52
I like this list! Even though it does have the problem of fading away when konrad bites it, the 3(!) wight kings should be able to hold a unit together long enough to salvage some VP's. Good luck in your next BR!

BigbyWolf
12-03-2010, 18:18
So...after an unfortunate delay in playing my game...i will be facing off with the accursed tree-ponces either this weekend or at the start of the week.

Firstly I'm hoping that someone can point me in the direction of a decent map-making program for setup/ turn movement (my camera phone really doesn't cut it).

Secondly, a bit of advice on how to play it...I'm going to get shot-up, that goes without saying...so should I sacrifice numbers of units to increase the sizes...for example drop a Wight King and his bodyguard in favour of increasing my 2 remaining units of Black Knights, and combining the units of Ghouls?

Also how about dropping the Varghulf in favour of a few Fell Bats and a load more dogs?

Malorian
12-03-2010, 18:20
Black knights (witht he flaming banner) and the varghulf are going to be gold against wood elves. The main thing you need is speed.

And yes, bigger ghouls units rather than more ghoul units.

BigbyWolf
12-03-2010, 19:42
Black knights (witht he flaming banner) and the varghulf are going to be gold against wood elves. The main thing you need is speed.

And yes, bigger ghouls units rather than more ghoul units.

Yeah, dropping the Varghulf would be something I'd rather not do, I'd prefer to keep the models in my list the same...so combining the Ghouls/ BKs are probably my only options.

I've got 3 units of BKs, one with Konrad and BSB w/ Drakenhof, one with flaming attacks and the other with a Flaming Wight King, so perhaps I could run 2 units, each with 2 characters in, although to keep the best protection for Konrad I'd have to lump all my flaming attacks into one unit (unless I ran Konrad and 2 WKs in one unit...).

Actually, looking at it again, WElfs are usually hard to pin down, so it might be better to keep all three separate and risk the KB waywatchers and Arcane Bodkins that are no doubt kicking around the army.

As for Ghouls, 2 lots of 15, one of 10 and one of 20, or one massive unit of 30?

BigbyWolf
21-03-2010, 15:08
Finally got a bit of free time to work on the latest Batrep, so I'll post the armies first, followed by deployment details, and finally the report...apologies to any Konrad fans out there for the fact that it's taken so long.

Me:

Konrad- 145
Total- 617

10 Ghouls- 80
10 Ghouls- 80
10 Ghouls- 80
5 Dire Wolves- 40
5 Dire Wolves- 40
5 Dire Wolves- 40
Total- 360

Varghulf- 175

I had been intending to put some of the Ghouls together into one unit, before common sense returned and I realized that it would reduce my minimum core...

Anyhow, my opponent was using Wood Elves, and his list was as follows:

Wardancer Highborn- Blades of Loec, Amber Pendant
Branchwraith- Level 1, Annoyance of Nettlings
Spellsinger- Level 2, 2 Dispel Scrolls
Alter Noble- Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrow, Light Armour, Great Weapon, Shield

2 x 12 Glade Guard
2x 8 Dryads
5 Glade Riders

10 Wardancers

Treeman
6 Waywatchers

A nice, balanced list from my perspective, with a tasty flammable treat to take out as well...

The large unit of Wardancers worried me, particulary as I knew his general would be in there and that he had a taste for running him with either the Amber Pendant (having Konrad striking last against Killing Blow is never good) or the "teleporting from one wood to the other" thingy, and the Waywatchers "Lethal Shot" could cause serious damage against my Knights.

kormas
24-03-2010, 08:31
hmmm, this is going to be cloase i think, you have a fairly fast army to the elves are going to have to get to combat.

i think the blood knights could take out the treeman fairly well, but i cant really see anything else killing it...

good luck :)

BigbyWolf
24-03-2010, 11:33
hmmm, this is going to be cloase i think, you have a fairly fast army to the elves are going to have to get to combat.

i think the blood knights could take out the treeman fairly well, but i cant really see anything else killing it...

good luck :)

Either unit of Black Knights with flaming attacks? ;)

But saying anymore may give away the result of the rep...which I SWEAR WILL BE UP IN A COUPLE OF DAYS AT THE MOST!

There, I've said it in capitals, now I have to stick to it!

Ultimate Life Form
24-03-2010, 13:14
And you will be in for public stoning if not. :shifty:

BigbyWolf
24-03-2010, 14:37
And you will be in for public stoning if not. :shifty:

Well, I've never complained about being stoned before...:angel:

BigbyWolf
25-03-2010, 10:57
This battle took place on the edge of the Forest of Loren (as all games involving Welfs seem to do...). The terrain was randomly genorated and was placed (from my perspective when the battle began...) with a hill just off centre (basically on the very edge of my right hand table quarter) and two woods, one up and about 6" to the right of the hill, the other up and around 8" away to the left. And that was all that the generating table produced...but my kind and sporting opponent volunteered to add another forest to the table, which he placed around 6" above the centre of his deployment zone.

My army ended up being deployed as follows (from left to right),

Two units of 10 Ghouls and the Flaming Knights (Directly opposite the large left wood), Blood Knights and Konrad/ Orlov and the Drakenhof Knights (in the centre, partly behind the hill), they were flanked by the Vigorous Knights, and the last unit of Ghouls and the Varghulf took up postion on my right flank. The units of Knights were screeened by Direwolves.

The Welf were deployed thusly (from my point of view)...

Towards my left flank lurked the Treeman, next to him were 12 Glade Guard and the Spellsinger, they were backed up by a unit of Dryads, and the Highborn and his Warponces were in the centre, behind the wood. To their right were the last unit of Drayds and Branchwraith and the last unit of Gladeguard. Finally on his right flank were the Alter Noble and the Glade Riders. To my complete lack of surprise the Waywatchers skulked around in the central wood.

For magic he took Treesinging on both of his wizards, and the Spell singer rolled the no. 6 spell.

BigbyWolf
25-03-2010, 15:38
Sooo, it all kicked off with me getting first turn, and the glorious might of Konrads legion stumbled forward. It was at this point that a few glaring mistakes in my deployment were revealed (and covered up with a hasty "Ha-ha! You've fallen into my plan!" directed at my opponent). Firstly, the two units of Ghouls on my left flank were nowhere near a Vampire, and were therefor condemmed to what would more than likely be an entire game of 4 inch movement.

But, not wanting to dissapoint, I got on with it, sending all of my troops dashing forward as fast as they could go, with the centre for the most part ending up on othe hill, and the two units of knights on the end of my line infront of their respective woods, risky, you might think, but I needed to engage as quickly as possible, and didn't want my Flaming Knights to wander too far from a Vampire. The screening wolves broke off to fully cover Konrads unit and the Blood Knights, and to get out of the way of the terrain-ignoring movement of the other Knights.

The Varghulfs presence inspired the unit of Ghouls in front of him to march, before he lifted over them and headed up the right hand side of the wood.

And, considering that all my army can do is move and fight (and in Konrads case, drool...), that was the end of my first turn.

Malorian
25-03-2010, 17:49
Come on man! Where's the rest of it? :(

BigbyWolf
25-03-2010, 21:06
T'is here Mal, no need to fret! (I write a lot of stuff at work, so have to fit it in around meetings and jobs...it's a lot quieter than home...but it does mean that my longer posts are a bit disjointed...)

Sooo, Welf Turn One:

Despite my repeated requests for his Waywatchers to charge heroically out of the wood in a delaying action, he decided to keep them in cover and no charges were declared.

His Treeman plodded towards my main battle line at full speed as did the Dryads and the Wardancers (although the WDs and the unit of Dryads were screened by the forest). The units of Glade Guard advanced 4" forwards, the Alter moved 9" towards the Varghulf and the Glade Riders did the same.

The Glade Guard on the right fired at the Wolves in front of Konrad and the other unit target the wolves in front of the Bloodknights, and 24 arrows later the Bloodknights screeners were gone and the other unit was reduced to 2. Now having a free LOS the Waywatchers fired on the Bloodknights, who were in range for a bit of KB, and despite the save and ward, lost 1 of their number (Yep, you guessed it, KB'd). The Glade Riders fired on the Varghulf, but failed to hit/wound, and deciding that the feral Vampire was enough of a threat, the Alter let loose his HoD at him as well, he rolled a pleasing "6" for arrows, 6 hits, 4 wounds, of which 3 were regenerated (:D). Leaving a rather pincushioned, but relatively unhurt Varghulf.

Magic rolled around, and he went for a 1 dice Tree-sing on the wood in front of my flaming knights, which I allowed, and it left my Knights mostly inside the wood, followed by another single-die casting on the wood again, which I failed to dispel (snake-eyes!), but the ensuing barrage of branches failed to wound my knights. Finally he went for a 3 dice "Call of the Hunt" on his Dryads closest to my lines, which went through and sent the Dryads crashing into the only full unit of Wolves I had left.

Combat next, and the Dryads ripped through the Wolves, overrunning to end up just out of the charge arc of the Bloodknights.

VC turn 2:
Konrad tested, and gained frenzy too, but his only option were the Waywatchers, the Bloodknights too, so both units charged them. The Waywatchers chose to flee, leaving both units within 2" of the edge of the wood. The Varghulf charged the Glade Riders, who chose to flee as well.

My Flaming Knights moved out of the wood, their ethereal movement allowing them more distance the Bloods and Konrad, and the Vigorous Knights went through the middle wood with my other units, but emerged mostly on the other side.

The Ghouls all advanced, slowly.

Welf Turn 2:

All fleeing units rallied, Charges were declared by the Treeman (on the Flaming Knights), The Wardancers (on the Blood Knights), The Dryads with Branchwraith (On Konrad and his boys) and the Alter (on the Varghulf). Annoyingly all fear/ terror tests were passed, and they crashed into their respective targets.

The Glade Guard advanced again, to get within the range of S4 shots, and fired, taking down 2 Black Knights from the (unengaged) Vigorous unit.

Magic again, and he failed to cast Tree Singing twice, but put 3 dice itno Call of the Hunt, and cast it on the Wardancers, who elected to use the killing blow dance for combat and took down another 2 knights, while the knights inflicted 4 wounds in return (3 on the unit and 1 on the lord), I won the combat thanks to my standard, but they held. The Branchwraith challenged, and I accepted with Orlov, who failed to do anything due to Netlings, and took no wounds in return. The Dryads bounced off the Black Knights and lost 6 of there number to a combination of KB and Konrad, broke, and were chased down, running into a unit of Glade Guard.

The Alter tried to dish out some pain, but could only take the Varghulf down to two wounds before being eaten by the ravenous beastie. The Treeman nailed 3 of the Flaming Knights, but was in turn reduced to a 2 wounds thanks to some very good rolling by the units Wight King, and held.

VC Turn 3:

The only unit I had able to charge was the Varghulf on the Glade Riders, and not wanting them to cause any further issues I charged, expecting them to flee, but they held, obviously hoping to take his final wound by standing and shooting, which they failed to do. The Vigorous Knights and 2 remaining wolves positioned themselves for possible charges next turn, and once again, the Ghouls shuffled forwards slightly.

Combat, and the Vargulf ate 2 Glade Riders, who in turn failed to wound...the remaining horse in B2B was another story however, and its flailing hooves downed him unceremoniously. Konrad made short work of the Glade Guard, and didn't overrun, while the Flaming Knights took down the overgrown sapling. The Bloodknights however, were butchered to a man (or Vampire).

Welf turn 3:
And a quick recap shows Konrad with 3 units of Black Knights on the table, although 2 of them were at half-strength, 3 units of Ghouls that were still well out of the action, and 2 Dire Wolves. The Welfs on the other hand, had a unit of Dryads, most of a unit of Wardancers, 6 Waywatchers, half a unit of Glade Riders and a unit of Glade Guard with Spellsinger.

The Dryads charged into the Flaming Knights while the Wardancers came about to face Konrad and his Knights, the Glade Guard pivoted to get a better angle on the same unit and the Glade Riders desperately tried to get back into the action. The Waywatchers moved up to the edge of the forest and fired on Konrad.

The shooting from WW and GG failed to hit/ wound Konrad and his unit, but another casting of Call of the Hunt propelled the Wardancers 8" into Konrad. The Dryads took out the remaining Knights, but the Wight King remained, and he took down 3 in return, with his horse adding to the tally for a tied combat.

In the main combat, he went for a ward save dance, his Lord challenged, and I accepted with Orlov (a risky option, should I lose him, I lose regen, on the other hand he has more wounds, a higher toughness and better armour than Konnie, so did stand more chance of surviving, he did, only suffering a wound, and managed to return one onto the twirling elf. Konrad was unharmed, but I lost a Black Knight, and in return took down 4 more dancers, winning the combat, but again they held.

VC turn 4:

The turning of the tide? I charged the last few dogs into the Waywatchers, who failed their fear test and ran. The V. Knights charged into the melee with the Dancers and Konrad, then my Ghouls moved backwards to gain table quarters.

My lonely Wight King butchered a few Dryads and broke them, chasing them down and stopping 3" short of the remaining Glade Guard. I accepted the challenge of the Highborn with Orlov once more, only to fall to his whirling blades thanks to repeated rolls of the hated "1". However the rest of the unit was not so lucky and was single handedly taken apart by an enraged Konrad (who restored my faith in the dice by rolling 4 6s for his armour saves!). This time the meddlesome elf failed his test, and was routed (mainly due to the fact that he needed "insane courage", which he didn't have) and summarily ridden into the ground.

Welf Turn 4:
And the Glade Guard brought down my lone Wight King, while the Glade Riders (purely out of spite, I'm sure, although my opponent insists it was compassion) put my poor wolves out of their misery, while the Waywatchers continued to run and his magic failed to do anything. At this point we shook hands and called it a day.

And with my 800+ points remaining to his 400ish, not to mention 2 table quarters vs 1, another victory for Konrad!

Next up...Daemons! :cries:

Malorian
25-03-2010, 21:31
When you lost your hounds right away and were baited into the trees I thought you wre in trouble, but you fought your way back :)

Your varghulf also got fairly lucky ;)

Surprised he went for the ward rather than killing blow when he charged Konrad and his knights with the wardancers.

Good luck against the deamons :)

BigbyWolf
26-03-2010, 08:33
When you lost your hounds right away and were baited into the trees I thought you wre in trouble, but you fought your way back :)

Your varghulf also got fairly lucky ;)

Surprised he went for the ward rather than killing blow when he charged Konrad and his knights with the wardancers.

Good luck against the deamons :)

I was lucky, the wood in the centre was a fairly "slimline" wood, so not too hard to get through...though I did forget that due to Konrad the unit of BKs wasn't ethereal. As for the varghulf being lucky...surviving a HoD is quite good...dying to elven horse...isn't! I just hope he survives the next game! I'm just assuming he took the ward save as he was worried about the Black Knights/ WK killing blow.

So far, so good...I honestly go into every game expecting to lose, so any other result is a good 'un. My next opponent is a fan of Tzeentch and Khorne Daemons, but plays mono-god with both of them, so I'm either going to be facing a barrage of magic...or a Bloodthirster!

kormas
26-03-2010, 10:16
wow, well done on winning again :), i must say that i am always hoping that you pull throught since you are using such a different army :D.

the bloodthrister could be a little tricky...good luck

BigbyWolf
26-03-2010, 11:08
Konrad sat on a log, the skull of his most trusted officer held in one hand, tears rolled slowly down his cheeks. "Alas, poor Orlov...I knew him, Horatio...HORATIO...vhere are you?" Horatio, Konrads most experienced and nimble fingered Ghoul loped forward, grovelling at his feet. "Master", he burbled, "Repairs are nearly complete, the Black Knights have been stitched together, and more Vampires have been summoned from Blood Keep. All that remains is to catch another Vargulf and bring in a few more Wolves, which could take some time..." "Very vell..." Konrad sighed, boredom creeping over him already, he tossed Orlovs head from one hand to the other, before raising an eyebrow at ghoul..."Football?"

danny-d-b
26-03-2010, 11:13
erm just a few things to bring up- on what it quite an enetertaining set of reports

1st magic goes before shooting- but according to the 1st battle, you had magic done afterwords

2nd HOD arrow does 3D6 S4- not 1 like the report suggested

other than that good fights, always nice to see vamps with out magic

grumbaki
26-03-2010, 14:40
God I love the way you write Konrad's dialogue. I really look forward to the next report.

BigbyWolf
26-03-2010, 14:43
erm just a few things to bring up- on what it quite an enetertaining set of reports

1st magic goes before shooting- but according to the 1st battle, you had magic done afterwords

2nd HOD arrow does 3D6 S4- not 1 like the report suggested

other than that good fights, always nice to see vamps with out magic

1. My bad, I do know the turn structure...for both battles I've written it down the other way around...but don't worry, I have delivered a solid *facepalm* to make up for it...I just don't pay much attention to those phases when using this army...shooting and magic turns are for wussies!

2. Yep, 3d6, which is what he rolled, geting a "4" and 2 "1"s, for a total of 6 arrows, please deliver yourself a solid *facepalm* for me!

God I love the way you write Konrad's dialogue. I really look forward to the next report.

I'm looking forward to it as well, and the masochist in me is hoping for Khorne Daemons...I guarantee it'd be one of the quickest games in history, with only 50% of a normal game actually being played!

danny-d-b
26-03-2010, 14:48
1. My bad, I do know the turn structure...for both battles I've written it down the other way around...but don't worry, I have delivered a solid *facepalm* to make up for it...I just don't pay much attention to those phases when using this army...shooting and magic turns are for wussies!

2. Yep, 3d6, which is what he rolled, geting a "4" and 2 "1"s, for a total of 6 arrows, please deliver yourself a solid *facepalm* for me!

woops- yep- sorry I though you ment pleasing for him- I wouldn't be pleased with 6 on 3d6!!! but you would if you were playing it!

I'm looking forward to it as well, and the masochist in is hoping for Khorne Daemons...I guarantee it'd be one of the quickest games in history, with only 50% of a normal game actually being played!

shooting- out
magic-out
phycology- out

there won't be anything in the book soon!

Gaargod
27-03-2010, 04:47
Very fun to read.

However, i do think you made a mistake. You had 2 dogs charge into his waywatchers, who promptly failed their fear test. Fine, good move. However, if there were still 6 watchers there (didn't see anything about them losing models?), they would outnumber the dogs, and therefore simply hit them on 6s rather than run away.

Finally, is it not an issue for Konrad slowing down his BK unit significantly? Both etheral movement and Mv6 as opposed to 7?

Ultimate Life Form
27-03-2010, 06:16
Oh my god, that read exactly like the battles I usually do and made me go through hell once more. :cries:

Yes, I know all these things, from the ItP troops over the Hail of Doom Arrow, the constant Killing Blow danger down to the killer horses of doom that crush everything in their path (in my case Stegadons) while their riders play scrabble. :shifty:

Still good job on the win. Now I'm really anxious to know what you'll do against Daemons. :D

What will happen when Konrad 'dies'? And even more so, what will happen when 8th Edition rolls in with a 25% Core requirement and your army dies?

BigbyWolf
27-03-2010, 09:40
Very fun to read.

However, i do think you made a mistake. You had 2 dogs charge into his waywatchers, who promptly failed their fear test. Fine, good move. However, if there were still 6 watchers there (didn't see anything about them losing models?), they would outnumber the dogs, and therefore simply hit them on 6s rather than run away.

I'd have to query that with my opponent...my scribbled notes say "dogs charge WW, WW flee"...I know they fled, but the circumstances are hazy. I doubt they would have elected to flee as a reaction, so suspect I might have actually beaten them in combat. I'll check it out.

Finally, is it not an issue for Konrad slowing down his BK unit significantly? Both etheral movement and Mv6 as opposed to 7?

Look at it on the other hand, I might have to adjust the advance of some units so Konnie can keep up, but it beats putting a possibly frenzied Mv 6, T4, 2 wound model with a 5+ save in a unit with Mv4 and having him charge out of the unit when anything moves in range.

Still good job on the win. Now I'm really anxious to know what you'll do against Daemons. :D

What will happen when Konrad 'dies'? And even more so, what will happen when 8th Edition rolls in with a 25% Core requirement and your army dies?

Well, at my request my opponent will be bringing Khorne Daemons next week...so any anti-'thirster hints would be good.

He's already told be that it's going to be a toned down Bloodthirster (so no nasty gift combos) but even so, a standard one could mess up any of my units.

The question is, do I look to nail this beastie at the expense of neglecting the rest of the army, or visa versa?

I don't have the option of raising hordes of zombies to tie it up, likewise I can't really tarpit him with any other unit.

As for Konrad dying...if you mean will I continue with the reports if he goes down in a battle...hell yes! He's a Vampire, I'm sure I can come up with some plausible reason for surviving.

As for actual loss to the army following his death in-game...the majority for the army has pretty good Ld for undead (being Wights or Vampires), so they don't tend to suffer from crumbling that much.

Kuolema
27-03-2010, 12:14
as far as i know khorne has no ranged attacks yeah?

so ditch the banner from your blood knights and go with the royal standard of strigos and do everything it takes to get the charge on the thirster and hope ya kill it =x

if he isn't taking the armor that negates magic weapons then maybe giving one of your wrights the black axe of krell might be worth it =x

the +1 to hit banner could mean a unit of black knights could do a few wounds on the charge with some decent dice rolls and could make the wright with black axe a bit more reliable

besides the obvious problem of not having much that can kill the thirster the other problem is your units that could harm it really need to charge, and that is easier said than done when your trying to charge a flying large target =x

BigbyWolf
27-03-2010, 12:38
as far as i know khorne has no ranged attacks yeah?

so ditch the banner from your blood knights and go with the royal standard of strigos and do everything it takes to get the charge on the thirster and hope ya kill it =x

if he isn't taking the armor that negates magic weapons then maybe giving one of your wrights the black axe of krell might be worth it =x

the +1 to hit banner could mean a unit of black knights could do a few wounds on the charge with some decent dice rolls and could make the wright with black axe a bit more reliable

besides the obvious problem of not having much that can kill the thirster the other problem is your units that could harm it really need to charge, and that is easier said than done when your trying to charge a flying large target =x

Dropping the banner is a definate for the next game. I was thinking about going for overkill, putting the BSB with regen in the unit of Blood Knights along with the Warbanner, and giving the champion the Cursed Book (if he can take it?). Hoping to get the charge off and win thanks to multiple S7 attacks backed up by static CR of 4, and if he is around after one turn or charges me, challenging with Cursed Book and trying to win on CR again and maybe tie him up enough to counter charge with something.

Kuolema
27-03-2010, 13:22
Dropping the banner is a definate for the next game. I was thinking about going for overkill, putting the BSB with regen in the unit of Blood Knights along with the Warbanner, and giving the champion the Cursed Book (if he can take it?). Hoping to get the charge off and win thanks to multiple S7 attacks backed up by static CR of 4, and if he is around after one turn or charges me, challenging with Cursed Book and trying to win on CR again and maybe tie him up enough to counter charge with something.

well the entry in the rare section only says a can take a magic weapon but the army list at the start of the colored section has a blood knight unit and the champion has the book so I'm not sure =x

Verchild
05-04-2010, 18:05
This is the best thread I have had the privliage of reading.
I have taken my VC out of the dark corner they have been in and started painting them recently, and this is just the motivation to get them back into the world.

Who would have guessed that giving yourself a magic handy-cap would be the most entertaining thing you could do?

Looking forward to the daemon update.

dvang
06-04-2010, 23:24
First, this is a fun read.
I haven't used this program yet, but I've seen reports that have and looked at the website and it looks very nice and I plan on using it for any of my future AARs:

http://www.battlechronicler.com/

See if it works for you.

brother slaughterer
07-04-2010, 12:06
First of all....love love love the thread so far and the style of writing LMFAO!!.
Secondly, really looking forward to seeing how Special K does against the Khorne daemons as I run a pure Khorne list.
Thirdly...just gotta start a VC army now.....thanks to you. My bank manager hates you, GW loves you!

Keep up the excellent work and look forward to your next report.

Malorian
07-04-2010, 14:52
When will Konrad's next game be?

BigbyWolf
07-04-2010, 16:53
Many thanks for the support and the link!

Konnies next match will be this weekend, so expect fluffy build up this week, and batrep at the start of the next one.

The 'Thirster I'll be facing will be without flaming attacks and obsidian armour...from what I understand it'll have a random, possibly crazy number of attacks and some form of armour.

I would have had the fluff up sooner, but work and my Estalian project is taking a bit too much time.

EDIT:

I'm thinking about entering a couple of tournaments this year (including the UK grand tournament, no less...), and as much as I care about winning things...I'd just love to rock up with my Konrad list...just to see the looks on peoples faces!

Gaargod
08-04-2010, 01:30
He most likely means dark insantiy (2d6+2) attacks and armour of khorne (3+ save). might well have immortal fury, for rerolling hits.

In other words... pain. Much pain. A clever player will ride roughshod over most of your army with it - never mind instability + KB infantry. Good luck?

brother slaughterer
08-04-2010, 09:17
Finally got a bit of free time to work on the latest Batrep, so I'll post the armies first, followed by deployment details, and finally the report...apologies to any Konrad fans out there for the fact that it's taken so long.

Me:

Konrad- 145
Total- 617

10 Ghouls- 80
10 Ghouls- 80
10 Ghouls- 80
5 Dire Wolves- 40
5 Dire Wolves- 40
5 Dire Wolves- 40
Total- 360

Varghulf- 175

I had been intending to put some of the Ghouls together into one unit, before common sense returned and I realized that it would reduce my minimum core...

Anyhow, my opponent was using Wood Elves, and his list was as follows:

Wardancer Highborn- Blades of Loec, Amber Pendant
Branchwraith- Level 1, Annoyance of Nettlings
Spellsinger- Level 2, 2 Dispel Scrolls
Alter Noble- Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrow, Light Armour, Great Weapon, Shield

2 x 12 Glade Guard
2x 8 Dryads
5 Glade Riders

10 Wardancers

Treeman
6 Waywatchers

A nice, balanced list from my perspective, with a tasty flammable treat to take out as well...

The large unit of Wardancers worried me, particulary as I knew his general would be in there and that he had a taste for running him with either the Amber Pendant (having Konrad striking last against Killing Blow is never good) or the "teleporting from one wood to the other" thingy, and the Waywatchers "Lethal Shot" could cause serious damage against my Knights.

Just a query....is Konrad mounted and if so on what? maybe me being a bit dim. I dont play VC so dont know if he can have a mount or what happens with him.

Cheers for your patience

BigbyWolf
08-04-2010, 10:50
Just a query....is Konrad mounted and if so on what? maybe me being a bit dim. I dont play VC so dont know if he can have a mount or what happens with him.

Cheers for your patience

Nope, not mounted, but he has got M6 which helps him keep up.

BigbyWolf
08-04-2010, 10:58
He most likely means dark insantiy (2d6+2) attacks and armour of khorne (3+ save). might well have immortal fury, for rerolling hits.

In other words... pain. Much pain. A clever player will ride roughshod over most of your army with it - never mind instability + KB infantry. Good luck?

Yeah, Insanity and Armour of Khorne...still, no Firestorm Blade/ Armour of Remove All Fun From the Game...so I'd rather take on the one he's offering. If I can hold him with something then slam a unit with something tasty in it into his flank...like Konrad with his crazy attacks and double-wound sword, or a Wight King with the Black Axe of Krell.

Just to clarify, Fleshhounds are US2 and can be Killing Blowed, am I right?

brother slaughterer
08-04-2010, 11:14
Nope, not mounted, but he has got M6 which helps him keep up.

Thanks for that clarification.
Loving Konrad and may just have to do a Special K list myself.
Looking forward to the Daemons report.

Cheers

selone
09-04-2010, 04:03
Just to clarify, Fleshhounds are US2 and can be Killing Blowed, am I right?

Yup though they ofc get their ward save Vs KB :/

BigbyWolf
09-04-2010, 11:52
Yup though they ofc get their ward save Vs KB :/

Bah! Ward saves mean nothing to my 1 attack WS3 cavalry! And Bloodthirsters, I've only got one thing to say to them: "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!"

Why should a vampire have anything to fear from the legions of the blood god...vampires love blood!

But on a serious note, the fleshhounds are probably the least of my worries...I'm not looking forward to the blocks of unbreakable KB RnF that I'll be facing, Blood Crushers will also be fairly nasty (afaik they can't be KB'd). And then there's the old 'thirster...

Malorian
09-04-2010, 13:08
Blood crushers hit like a ton of bricks... I don't know how you'll do it but you need to find a way to either tarpit them or flank them.

BigbyWolf
09-04-2010, 13:25
Blood crushers hit like a ton of bricks... I don't know how you'll do it but you need to find a way to either tarpit them or flank them.

I could always tarpit them with Ghouls, and then raise some more...oh, wait..no, that's not right...

Ok, how about I just elect to flee if they charge me...but, undead...gargh!

DAMNIT! :cries:

And I thought Daemons were supposed to be a weak army! :angel:

TBH the last two games I eschewed tactics in favour of just getting stuck in, this time...it will require a lot more if I want to come out on top (and I can't tell you enough how much I want to win this game...)

Combo charges are going to be my best bet. Luckily all the important units in my army move at virtually the same speed.

I'm planning on making the most of cover to flank with Black Knights, and deploying most of my army in one corner of the battlefield, to make him work harder to get at me.

danny-d-b
09-04-2010, 13:33
I could always tarpit them with Ghouls, and then raise some more...oh, wait..no, that's not right...

Ok, how about I just elect to flee if they charge me...but, undead...gargh!

DAMNIT! :cries:

And I thought Daemons were supposed to be a weak army! :angel:

just don't bring spirit hosts

vamp player 'and now I'll just tar pit your flesh hounds with my spirit hosts'
deamon player 'will you 3 spirit hosts vs 5 flesh hounds'
vamp player 'yep I'll go 1st as I charged- does no wounds'
deamon player 'I'll attack you back' does 6 wounds
vamp player 'your attacks fail I'm ethereal'
deamon player 'your ethereal fails, there deamons, they have magic attacks'
vamp player '$%$£*&£$%$£&$%$£*&£$%$£&$%$£*&£$%$£&$%$£*&£$%$£&$%$£*&£$%$£&$%$£*&£$%$£&$%$£*&£$%$£&$%$£*&£$%$£&$%$£*&£$%$£&$%$£*&£$%$£&$%$£*&£$%$£&$%$£*&£$%$£&'
deamon player 'so does that mean I cause 6 more wounds, o wait 7 I out number you- over run to the flanks of grave guard!'

Malorian
09-04-2010, 14:20
One way you can tarpit non-blocks while staying to your theme is a wight king BSB, then just make sure to give him a good armor save or imunity to killing blow (hard to tell which would be better).

They will have a hard time hurting you and then the outnumber is countered by the banner. Hell even if they win by one you still won't crumble.

BigbyWolf
09-04-2010, 15:00
One way you can tarpit non-blocks while staying to your theme is a wight king BSB, then just make sure to give him a good armor save or imunity to killing blow (hard to tell which would be better).

They will have a hard time hurting you and then the outnumber is countered by the banner. Hell even if they win by one you still won't crumble.

Yeah, only problem is that the BSB has the important job of keeping Konnie alive with the Regen banner. I'm looking at giving the Bloodknights the War Banner, that should help out in similar situations as well. THB if I can get the charge off on the 'thirster or crushers with Blood Knights, I've got a very good chance of laying some good ol' fashioned pain on them.

grumbaki
09-04-2010, 16:01
But can't the BT just challenge if your BK charge? That really dents their effect.

BigbyWolf
09-04-2010, 16:35
But can't the BT just challenge if your BK charge? That really dents their effect.

Yes, but the less he kills, the longer he's tarpitted for...all the better to get Konrad into his flank.

Malorian
09-04-2010, 17:18
If you killed bloodthirster with konrad I think this thread should become a sticky for people to see for all time :)

BigbyWolf
09-04-2010, 17:55
If you killed bloodthirster with konrad I think this thread should become a sticky for people to see for all time :)

:mad:

You've gone and done it now!

I was going to have a think about a few targets to set myself for the game, as opposed to planning for a victory. Such as wiping out all the hounds, keeping Konrad alive, etc.

Now I have no choice. Konrad has to take on the 'thirster. All alone...mano a mano...(with just a unit of Black Knights and Wight King BSB with Regen Banner, and perhaps a Varghulf, and some dogs...)...so technically all alone, just not.

FORtheGREATERgood
10-04-2010, 00:11
Just read this thread for the first time from the beginning and i absolutely cannot wait to hear how this game goes. You definitely have to kill his bloodthirster with konrad if nothing else. For this gamr, use something such as the battle chronicler or something to help give the rest of us "the full experience." Keep up the great reports!

Dungeon_Lawyer
10-04-2010, 06:27
Right, after struggling with Paintshop Pro to make diagrams I'm going to have to resort to my narrative skills to describe the battlefield antics of everyones favourite lunatic (if anyone can suggest a good prgram to use, I'd be forever in your debt...).

A a cell phone w/digital camera, or just a digital camera. :angel:

Meandered over to this thread only recently and am enjoying these battles..

Im rooting for Konrad in his mano a mano (almost) battle vs the thirster

BigbyWolf
10-04-2010, 08:19
A a cell phone w/digital camera, or just a digital camera. :angel:

Meandered over to this thread only recently and am enjoying these battles..

Im rooting for Konrad in his mano a mano (almost) battle vs the thirster

I wish my phone had a camera capable of taking a battlefield photos that came out viewable by the human eye! I'll be giving Battlefield Chronicler a try for this game, so fingers crossed.

BigbyWolf
10-04-2010, 11:59
Orlov scratched at the crude stitches that were currently doing a very poor job of holding his head to his body, thankful for the small mercy that the Wardancers blade had left a clean cut, and slightly less thankful that his skull now appeared to be covered in scuff marks and boot prints. Whenever his state of undeath was interrupted by further death, or undeath-death, or perhaps undeathier (Not being a philosopher, Orlov was never quite sure), his (un)consciousness drifted in the dark void of limbo, dimly aware of what was going on around his lifeless corpse, or re-lifeless corpse, or corpsicle (He really, really wasn’t a philosopher). The feelings and sounds he received in that place were never really clear, but this time there was the impression of constant rolling, followed by firm blows to the head, and a lunatic yelling “2 nil to the Sylvanians…” over and over again.

But now he was back, and good as new (although it had taken 3 days of pleading to persuade Konrad to instruct the Ghouls to put his head back on facing forwards, instead of backwards…which the Count had thought hilarious) and ready to take on the world. Which was lucky considering what was about to happen…

You see, a few days previously, in one of those quiet moments that follows butchering Elves, one of the Ghouls had mentioned how he knew of some villagers in a nearby Bretonnian hamlet that had recently started to worship “The Blood God”, and that they used a lot of Blood in their rituals, and that they were close to summoning a Blood..GAAAARGH (it was at this point that Orlov managed to push his sword through the Ghouls throat, hoping that his master had not heard the creatures ramblings and would not commit them to rash, insane, or badger-inspired action).

He was too slow.

And now Konrad sat in the centre of a some bloody ruins, daemonic icons littering the ground, the freshly drained corpses of Bretonnian daemon worshipers scattered carelessly around him. He burped as Orlov approached, and struggled to his feet. “Orlov, my old friend, vot luck zat ve found zis place…you know, zey may have tasted a bit like zat disgusting garlick, but zey were right about me!” He picked up Weyland and set him on a rock, decorating him with a casually discarded spleen. “Right about what, master?” Orlov collected the Counts swords from amongst the detritus and innards that covered the grassy floor. “Vell, vhile I vos killing zem, zey kept screaming zat the Bludzirster vos coming, “Zee Bludzirster, he vill save us”, over and over again…and zay vere right…I vos thirsty for blud…I did come…and I did save zem…by drinking all zee blud.” He paused, licking his lips, “Bludzirster, BLUUUUUUUDZIRSTER…yes, I like zat, I am Konrad, zee Bludzirster of Sylvania! Fear me…FEAR ME!” he screamed into the face of his stuffed badger, and, after getting no response from Weyland, proceeded to leap around the circle of ruins, proclaiming his new “title” at the top of his lungs.

Orlov was about to risk his new stitches and correct his master, however the overpowering scent of brimstone was growing, and he swore he could hear the unfurling of leathery wings. Two millennia worth of self preservation poured through his withered frame, and as the heavy footsteps approached the stone circle, Orlov backed away, running back towards his troops (until he was a certain distance from the Count, then he was inexplicably reduced to walking pace), the last thing he heard was Konrad, singing like a drunken idiot followed by a loud, almost certainly daemonic, roar, and a very quiet…"Oh, Bugger…" and the unmistakable sound of a stuffed badger hitting something large and very, VERY, angry.

brother slaughterer
10-04-2010, 12:17
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah LMFAO.

Just a query...what is the strength of a thrown stuffed badger and is it armour Piercing??

Great work

niap
10-04-2010, 23:05
it's strenght 2 and it's not armor piercing. gnoblars use it all the time :)

BigbyWolf
10-04-2010, 23:37
it's strenght 2 and it's not armor piercing. gnoblars use it all the time :)

Thrown by a very strong vampire though, you never know, it could do some damage...

The game is tomorrow, my opponent has already agreed to allow me to roll for a S2 thrown attack before the game starts. When I play him again I've already decided that I'm going to write some fluff involving dropping a piano on his 'thirster, he's set a precedent now!

kormas
11-04-2010, 11:04
HAHAHAHAHAHAHALOL god i love your fluff, it is always a great read :). the characters are just so well done :D.

best of luck for your game :)

Toshiro
11-04-2010, 12:38
I love this thread very much :D

zak
11-04-2010, 20:53
I love the theme, the fluff and reports. Thanks for writing them. Good luck with the Demons. My undead have always struggled so I'm hoping for some pointers from you.

Ultimate Life Form
13-04-2010, 07:25
Konni at his best again. :D

Ultimate Life Form
15-04-2010, 12:53
Now! What happened to ze Bludzirster? I need to know!

Malorian
15-04-2010, 14:17
Question:

If I was a Konrad vs Bloodthirster battle report, where would I hide?

Valaraukar
15-04-2010, 16:11
This is genius I await with bated breath.

S2 can't wound T6 that hardly seems fair, I reckon a badger thrown teeth first would work much like an axe so throwers S+1 what's that 6? Also given the number of teeth I think an argument could be made for d6 hits. Now you just need a plausible excuse for why it is stuffed with the O&G amlet allowing no ward saves and you're set

herald of kairos
15-04-2010, 23:04
You sir are an evil genious, i laughed so hard at that fluff i fell of the chair.
request permission to sig the last line of it.

BigbyWolf
16-04-2010, 00:03
Question:

If I was a Konrad vs Bloodthirster battle report, where would I hide?

In the deep dank pit that is my hard drive. It has begun, but I am endeavouring to make a single post rep to prevent any over-excitement ;).

Never fear followers of the mad count, tomorrow you shall have it (I have the afternoon off work and will dedicate that time to you!)

herald of kairos- sig away!

Ultimate Life Form
16-04-2010, 00:52
Seriously, this is easily the most amazing Batrep thread I have ever seen! It really makes me break out a Konrad army as well and join in the fun, but I would feel bad for stealing your idea (and even Konrad can't be in two different places at the same time right, unless he suffers from a real bad case of split personality.)

Anyway, keep 'em coming! :evilgrin:

NightAngel
16-04-2010, 14:21
How many Konrads does it take to screw in a light bulb?

He can't silly there are no lightbulbs in the warhammer world, if there was lightbulbs he would eat them and if there was more than one Konrad they would kill each other

Dungeon_Lawyer
17-04-2010, 03:11
In the deep dank pit that is my hard drive. It has begun, but I am endeavouring to make a single post rep to prevent any over-excitement ;).

Never fear followers of the mad count, tomorrow you shall have it (I have the afternoon off work and will dedicate that time to you!)

herald of kairos- sig away!

:D most looking foarwd to it--

BigbyWolf
17-04-2010, 18:01
So here it begins my friends, the last great battle of our times. Ok, well maybe not the last, but definitely the latest...

Anyway, for some reason Battle Chronicler won't install for me, so you'll just have to make do with my description of the action.

So...Khorne Daemons, list as follows:

Bloodthirster- Dark Insanity, Armour of Khorne, Immortal Fury
Herald of Khorne- Juggernaut, Soul Hunger, Firestorm Blade
Herald of Khorne- Juggernaut, Etherblade

16 Bloodletters- Full Command, Icon of the Endless War (I think...+d6" to first charge?)
11 Bloodletters- Full Command, Icon of the Endless War
10 Blood Letters

5 Flesh Hounds
5 Flesh Hounds

2 Bloodcrushers

And Konnie:

Konrad- 145
Total- 617

10 Ghouls- 80
10 Ghouls- 80
10 Ghouls- 80
5 Dire Wolves- 40
5 Dire Wolves- 40
5 Dire Wolves- 40
Total- 360

5 Blood Knights- Full Command, Standard of Strigois- 350
Varghulf- 175

The battleground fitted the story, with a large hill covered in ruins dominating the centre of the board, and a 3 house hamlet cluttering up the left hand side of the table (entirely in my half). And that was it.

I deployed all three units of Ghouls in the hamlet, supported by a unit of Direwolves (roughly Gh, Gh, DW, Gh). In the centre of my zone I placed the Varghulf, and in a moment of pure paranoia decided too keep all my knights together, and put them on the right hand side of my deployment zone (from left to right, Vigorous Knights, Konrads Knights, Blood Knights, Flaming Knights) and placed the last two units of Wolves next to them, in a staggered formation. I hadn't bothered to screen any of my troops as he turned out not to be taking any Harpies.

His deployment, from left to right (my perspective), 10 Bloodletters and both units of Hounds, the Bloodthirster in the centre of the zone, and the unit of 16 'letters (deployed 5x3+1), 11 'letters with Firestorm Herald, and Bloodcrushers with Etherblade Herald deployed to the right of the ruins.

It turned out the thrown badger had failed to wound the Bloodthirster, and we prepared for battle!

Konrad Turn 1:

A stupidity test for Konrad passed and everyone moved forwards, the Ghouls and Wolves on the left moved to the edge of the hamlet, with the rightmost unit of Ghouls taking advantage of the Varghulfs presence to get a little further than their comrades. The Varghulf moved to the left of the hill in an attempt to lure the 'thirster into combat (Anti-Bloodthirster tactic 1: Throw your own big monster at him...), while Konrads Knights and the Vigorous Knights moved forward and swapped sides in a perfect example of skeletal synchronized horsemanship. The right hand side of the army also advanced, with one unit of wolves out of reach of a vampire restricting their movement, both units ended up level with each other, slightly behind the rest of the battle line.

Daemons turn 1:

With a roar the Bloodthirster accepted the challenge on offer, and charged the Varghulf, and the rest of the army advanced, with one unit of hounds moving up behind the 'thirster to support it.

In combat the Bloodthirster rolled 7 attacks, and proceeded to hit with 6 of them, wound with 5, but was thwarted by 4 successful regen rolls. In return my Vargulf caused a wound, and lost a further wound to CR (damn outnumber...)

Konrad turn 2:

Noticing the torn form of Wendel strewn about the ruins, stuffing everywhere, Konrad succombed to Frenzy, and feeling generous I declared a charge on the Bloodthirster, thankfully making the charge due to the insubstantial steed of the BK on the edge of the unit allowing him to move through a piece of otherwise impassable ruin (Anti-Bloodthirster Tactic 2: Throw an insane Vampire at him).

The Vigourous Knights moved into the ruins, the Flaming Knights and Blood Knights moved further towards the enemy (the hounds now out of range just plodded along behind). I had hoped to be able to charge, but was a few inches out of range.

The units in the hamlet advance and paired off, hoping to lure in the 'letters and hounds and hold, before delivering flank charges.

Way of the extra attacks that would be coming his way from the Varghulf, Wight King and Black Knight in B2B with his 'thirster (along with Konnie) he issued a challenge, which I duly accepted with the Mad Count.

Konrad jabbed in with his dagger, which was easily parried by the 'thirster, however this left him open to the flurry of blows Konnie unleahed with the Sword of Waldenhof, 3 of which got through his guard, and then procedded to wound him as well. He saved one wound, stopped another with his ward save, and the final one doubled to two wounds, giving me an extra two attacks. I hit with both, rolled a pair of sweet 6's for the wound rolls. He failed both the saves, and only made a single ward.

Another two wounds.

Total taken by 'thirster...5

Result? 1 dead Daemon.

The gigantic beast dissolved in a shower of blood and Konrad roared in triumph, urging his Knights on they overran towards the Flesh hounds, desperate to press the advantage. And succeeded to move a terrific 2". The Varghulf moved further, but was also unable to charge the hounds..

Daemons Turn 2:

Charges were declared all round...the central hounds charged Konrad, the ones on the left charged a unit of Ghouls, and the Bloodletters on that flank charged the wolves. The Blood Crushers charged the Flaming Knights, the 'letters with herald charged the Blood Knights and the other unit of 'letters pivoted to prevent the approaching Vigorous Knights from being able to flank any of the combats.

Left to right, the bloodletters KB'd one Wolf, and killed a further 2, wiping them out with CR and overrunning to avoid the upcoming flank charge. The flesh hounds killed 4 Ghouls and a further 4 died to the CR, but luckily this left them tied in combat.

Two Flesh hounds allocated their attacks against Konrad, hitting three times, wounding once, but this was regenerated. The remainder attacked the unit, killing a single Black Knight. Konrad attacked back, killing 4 of them before Orlov dispatched the last one.

The Herald dispatched 2 Blood Knights easily, and a further 1 was KB'd by the 'letters. The Knights killed 4 in return (7 attacks from two models...gotta love it!) and both ether horses caused a wound each, leaving me with a CR of 6 wounds and standard vs 3 wounds, standard, outnumber and 2 ranks. A draw!

The Bloodreapers killed 4 of the Flaming Knights, while the Juggernauts took out the last one, leaving just the WK to attack back. He managed to cause a wound, but the CR reduced him to dust, they overran into a unit of Wolves..

Konrad turn 3:

With my right flank all but gone, I decided to commit Konrad to the fight once again using the etherealness of some of the models in his unit once again to take a shortcut across the corner of the ruins and move around behind them.

My Vigorous knights remained in cover enough to mean they would be shielded from a Bloodletter charge while they waited for Konrad to catch up. and the Varghulf charged the tied up flesh hounds while the last unit of Ghouls available pivoted to face the bloodletters. In an attempt to help the unengaged unit of wolves flank charged the unit of Bloodletters in combat with the Blood Knights.

My Varghulf layed into the flesh hounds, causing 3 wounds, the fleshhounds then failed to wound him in return, but managed to wipe out the two remaining Ghouls, leaving us with another draw (outnumber).

The wolves killed 2 Bloodletters, while the Blood Knight and Kastellan won the roll off for who gets to attack first and directed their attacks against the Herald, causing 2 wounds and taking him down. One Wolf was killed in return, and the bloodletters failed to wound the Knights. They had a CR of 2, I had 5, meaning the remainder were banished into semi-oblivion.

The Crushers wiped out the wolves and didn't overrun.

Daemons, turn 3:

The Bloodletters on the left flank charged the Ghouls, while the large unit on the right positioned themselves so they couldn't be flanked by either Konrad or the Black Knights. The Crushers turned back towards the combat, lining up on the remaining Blood Knights.

In combat the Bloodletters killed 4 Ghouls, leaving 2 standing following CR. The only Flesh Hound that could attack failed to wound, while the Vargulf caused 3 in return.Meaning that thanks to the flank attack, I wiped them out on CR.

Konrad, Turn 4:

Konrad moved around the ruins, just out of charge range of the Bloodletters and the Blood Knights turned to face the Crushers. The Vigorous Knights left the cover of the ruins, avoiding the 'letters to move in behind the Blood Knights. The Dire Woves moved up behind the Bloodletters.

The Varghulf headed towards the Bloodletters on the left flank, who, in combat, proceeded to wipe out the Ghouls.

Daemon, Turn 4:

The Crushers charged the Blood Knights, and the Bloodletters on the left flank turned to face the Varghulf:

The Bloodcrusher Herald wiped out the bloodknights and overran into the Black Knights.

Konrad, Turn 5:

Konrad charged into the front of the unit of Bloodletters, and the Direwolves flank charged the Bloodcrushers. The Vargulf charged the Bloodletters.

The Black Knight Champion took up the challenge of the Bloodletter champ, wounding him, but he passed the ward save and failed to hit in return. Konrad killed 6 Bloodletters, and the rest of the unit fluffed their attacks, I won by 7, leaving 3 Bloodletters standing.

The Herald on Jugger took the challenge of my WK, causing a wound and taking 1 in return, while the BLood Crushers killed 2 BKs. The BKs attacked back, causing a wound. The Direwolves failed to wound and lost 2 of their own in return, leaving us with a stalemate.

The Varghulf killed 4 Bloodletters, leaving none to attack back and losing 2 to CR.

Daemons: Turn 5

Konrad and the Black Knights wiped out the Bloodletters, The Herald KB'd the Wight King and the other Blood Crushers and Juggernauts killed 3 Black Knights and the remaining wolves.

The Bloodletters failed to wound the Varghulf, who killed a further one in return and one combat by one.

Konrad Turn 6:

Disaster...Konrad fails his stupidity test, wandering aimlessly forward towards the grinning Blood Crushers.

Both the Bloodletters and Varghulf fail to wound, I win by one on CR.

Daemon Turn 6:

The Blood Crushers charge Konrad!

The Bloodletters take the Varghulf down to his final wound, but he butchers them.

Orlov steps up and takes the challenge of the Herald, taking a wound but regenerating it, and fails to wound in return. A Crusher causes a wound on Konrad while the remainder KB two knights. Konrad causes 5 wounds (before doubling), killing all the Crushers and leaving the Herald to crumble.

THE END!

Victory to Konrad!

A bloodbath that Khorne would be proud of!

I'll post my aftermath thoughts later...right now I'm off to drink!

Valaraukar
17-04-2010, 18:21
Awesome game! Konrads insanity seems to be paying dividends at the moment, love it.

SeaSwift
17-04-2010, 18:31
I eagerly await the next installment!

Question: Did the stuffed badger survive being tossed at a savage, axe-wielding Bloodthirster or did the big, red, winged daemon tear it limb from limb, and forced Konrad to get a new furry friend?

Malorian
17-04-2010, 19:00
Way to go Konrad!

I really didn't think he could do it but he did :D

As much as I've always thought he was a stupid and pointless special character he has now earned eternal respect from me.

Frep
17-04-2010, 19:17
I can't believe the little madman killed a bloodthirster, thats simply hilarious

NightAngel
17-04-2010, 19:20
I am so happy a fluffy list beat a daemon list I never thought I would see the day.

Ultimate Life Form
17-04-2010, 23:16
Oh my GOD! I had no idea Konrad is that insane!!! :eek:

You must be a master tactician and a true legend among Warhammer players to be able to so utterly crush a Khorne army with such a restricted list!

Though I have to admit, the report was a bit difficult to keep track of. Every second word seemed to be either 'blood' or 'knight'. ^^ Pictures had alleviated that a bit.

BigbyWolf
18-04-2010, 00:49
*Stands up and modestly takes applause*

Many thanks, however I wouldn't go as far as claiming to be a master tactician, my opponent did help a little with the victory.

Firstly if he had taken his standard 'thirster the game would have gone a whole lot differently. He normally takes one with Obsidian Armour, Firestorm Blade and Immortal Fury. Had he run that build he would have decimated the Varghulf straight off, meaning Konrad would not have been able to charge and Konrads magical sword wouldn't have worked if they had got into combat.

He also had some pretty abysmal roles for the important combats ('thirster vs everyone and 'letters vs Blood Knights), and forgot about the attacks from Juggernauts (on the Heralds and Crushers) on two occasions and we neglected to take his Heralds initiative into count when the Blood Knights and 'letters were tied in combat.

I wasn't originally intending to put Konrad up against the 'thirster, hoping to rely on Blood Knights and Varghulf to put him down, or dog/ ghoul him out of the game, but I'm glad I bowed to peer pressure and sent him in.

So...what have I learned from this game? Konrad is great against big monsters and multi-wound troops. His swords seriously messes them up when combined with Red Fury, so long as he's not fighting anything flaming or striking last.

If Wight Kings and Black Knights don't get the charge they struggle. KB will only get you so far when you're S4. Unlike the Blood Knights, whose ability to crank out 7 S5 attacks from a mere two models easily took care of the Bloodletters.

All in all I love the game, and probably would have done so had I lost. Nearly everything was wiped out. Had he won the final combat and destroyed the unit, the game would have been his. It was also an incredibly quick game, in fact it probably took me longer to get my notes sorted and type up the report then it did to play it!

Perhaps we should remove shooting and magic from the game entirely? :D

kormas
18-04-2010, 01:10
wow..he actualy took a bloodthirster and won...that is seriously amazing :D.

i think that has got to be one of the best batt rep logs that we have had for a very long time simply because yo are using such a limited list with essentialy no magic...something that would generaly spell death for a VC army :).

i am really looking foward to the next report/bit of fluff :D

BigbyWolf
18-04-2010, 10:47
i think that has got to be one of the best batt rep logs that we have had for a very long time simply because yo are using such a limited list with essentialy no magic...something that would generaly spell death for a VC army :).

If I'm honest, the lack of any magic in the Daemon army worked in my favour more than the lack of magic in my army did for him. With literally only 2DD magic can seriously hamper my army, but Khorne Daemons have enough MR scattered around the army to take care of a moderate magical assault.

I really wasn't sure I was going to win the game, felt for sure that once I'd misjudged the distances and none of my right flank could charge it was game over, but the surviving units managed to hold out longer than expected and help arrived in time.

Lets not beat about the bush though...if Konnie hadn't "manned up" and taken down the 'thirster, it would probably have decimated my army...

My opponent has already demanded a rematch at some point using his standard list (nasty 'thirster, no Crushers, one less herald and more Flesh Hounds plus a few harpies)...I'll take him up on the game at some point...but not just yet.

FORtheGREATERgood
18-04-2010, 16:17
Haha great game! I'm pretty shocked that he could take that Bloodthirster on, but the expression on your opponent's face must have been priceless.

Dungeon_Lawyer
18-04-2010, 19:20
Haha great game! I'm pretty shocked that he could take that Bloodthirster on, but the expression on your opponent's face must have been priceless.

what that guy wrote! Great game against the thirster!

shortlegs
19-04-2010, 04:29
Nice batrep! Inspired me to drop my casty VC build for a combat-oriented list.

Noticing the torn form of Wendel strewn about the ruins, stuffing everywhere, Konrad succombed to Frenzy, and feeling generous I declared a charge on the Bloodthirster, thankfully making the charge due to the insubstantial steed of the BK on the edge of the unit allowing him to move through a piece of otherwise impassable ruin (Anti-Bloodthirster Tactic 2: Throw an insane Vampire at him).

With my right flank all but gone, I decided to commit Konrad to the fight once again using the etherealness of some of the models in his unit once again to take a shortcut across the corner of the ruins and move around behind them.

IRRC, BKs lose the ethereal move ability when joined by any character without a skeletal steed.

BigbyWolf
19-04-2010, 07:09
IRRC, BKs lose the ethereal move ability when joined by any character without a skeletal steed.

I'll be damned...you're right. Looks like my opponent deserves an apology and a rematch. :(

EDIT:

Rematch performed.

All we did was re-run that portion of the turn and the combat for Konnie vs 'thirster. I simply took the bull by the horns and charged Konrad out of the unit on his own. He still killed it thanks to an additional wound from the Varghulf...

Gammalfarmor
24-04-2010, 07:35
Give me fluff! I demand it!

BigbyWolf
24-04-2010, 08:43
Give me fluff! I demand it!

Searches belly-button, produces fluff.

kormas
24-04-2010, 10:45
wow..Konrad still killed the thirster...now that is amazing...respect for that character has deffinatly gone up :).

also may i ask what is your dp..i have tried to work it ut several times and seriously dont know what it is lol

BigbyWolf
24-04-2010, 15:33
My dp? :confused:

Gaargod
24-04-2010, 18:25
Awesome times. Konrad managed to shank a bloodthirster :)

Not a good idea to try that next time, when it will have obsidian armour and not care about double wounds.

herald of kairos
24-04-2010, 19:30
As the the rest of my generation would OMG!
well done man my vamps have just taken on a new swing, out comes konnie and off i go to buy some BKs.
i really didn't think konnie had it in him but you proved me wrong congrats.

kormas
24-04-2010, 23:00
My dp? :confused:

dp=display pic :).

or in other words, your avatar, i swear i have tried to work out what it is several times but i still havnt managed lol

BigbyWolf
24-04-2010, 23:03
Konrads hitting power is something I doubted myself, before I started running him I always considered him the least useful of the VC special characters due to his complete lack of protection. But his sword, combined with his two bloodline powers makes him unstoppable PROVIDED you get the charge. I'm just lucky so for that nothing big has got the drop on him. Next time he faces the BT it will have all the usual gifts, and I would expect him to go down pretty easy, but will it make me avoid getting him into combat with it...at the moment I'm not sure...

dp=display pic :).

or in other words, your avatar, i swear i have tried to work out what it is several times but i still havnt managed lol

Aaah, I see...it's a photo I took at a French Zoo of an otter eating a (already dead) chick. Why is an otter in a zoo? Now that is a question I can't answer, perhaps they're rare in France?

NightAngel
25-04-2010, 13:20
Really I always thought it looked like a squirrel.

kormas
25-04-2010, 23:15
i actualy thought it was some amazingly fat little animal :p, although it makes a bit more sense now :) lol

Toshiro
02-05-2010, 20:37
Another awesome report with fluff that brings a big smile to my face :D

BigbyWolf
05-05-2010, 18:05
Had a game last week against a Night Goblin army, I didn't take any notes or anything like that as it was just a pick up game due to my WoC being massacred. It was fairly straight forward. My Varghulf scared off most of his fast cav redirectors before being peppered by bolt throwers, allowing my units to get stuck very quickly. Minimum fanatic casualties and a giant being ripped apart by bloodknights meant that his infantry buckled fairly quickly and I finished the game with the Blood Knights, 2 units of Black Knights and 2 units of Ghouls while all she had was a handful of Squigs and a large unit of Trolls that had gone stupid for most of the game.

As I haven't graced it with a report but am behind on my fluff, I'm going to do a piece of fluff that covers from the end of the Daemon game to the end of this battle.

Should be up in a couple of days...

Malorian
05-05-2010, 20:20
Looking forward to it :)

kormas
06-05-2010, 10:12
yay :D, more fluff, it is always a good read :)

stazba
27-05-2010, 02:12
I'm bumping this thread since it has been dead for quite a while, and I want to hear more about Konrad!

patchy
27-05-2010, 16:16
there was one point just have to ask when a khorne unit chose not to overrun? don't frenzied units have to over run?

Ultimate Life Form
27-05-2010, 16:18
They must pursue.

But I concur, Konni, why hast thou forsaken us? :cries:

selone
27-05-2010, 17:39
and they have to over-run.

Ultimate Life Form
27-05-2010, 18:47
We'll see about that... :shifty:

Well, but it appears Konrad's struggle has only just begun. :( What will he do once new laws are enforced on him and he'll have to drag 500 points of Ghouls along? Maybe stick them all in one unit so you have at least something scary to guard your rear/flank.

Malorian
27-05-2010, 18:50
I assumed this one had slowed down (died?) when Bigbywolf got wind of the 8th rules and what it would do to his army.

Konrad is fragile, and so when getting the charge doesn't mean you strike first, and there are more attacks coming back it means a lot more dead vampire general...

SeaSwift
27-05-2010, 19:02
I reckon that while his biographer is collecting new ghouls to be able to play in 8th, Konrad has amassed a vast legion of his favoured teddies, and now intends to send them after his most determined witch hunters...

"It was near dawn when Askrath the Witch Hunter awoke. The small abandoned stable he had slept in was shrouded in shadows. The window was slightly ajar, and creaked as it swung eerily in the wind. It was cold. He was about to pick himself up out of the straw he had slept in when he noticed that there was a teddy bear sat on the window. It had one button-eye missing, and a scarlet ribbon wrapped around its neck. Stuffing peeked out of one thigh. He peered, utterly baffled, at this innocent toy, while reaching through the straw for his musket.

He wasn't fast enough. A pale hand reached down from the rafters, another teddy bear clutched tightly in it. The teddy bear extended to the Witch Hunter's mouth with lightning speed, and embraced him. Askrath was embraced by this toy, and struggled under its surprising strength. The struggling was utterly futile, as the hand controlling the toy flicked deftly and the bear's arm pierced the Witch Hunter's eye, the squelching sound produced colliding with a high pitched giggling from above. Askrath would have screamed, had the bear not being smothering him.

By the time dawn broke, the Witch Hunter's body was drained of blood, and Konrad was teaching his teddy bear legions how to fire a musket."

nagash42
29-05-2010, 07:04
won't konrad hit first most times in the new rules?

BigbyWolf
29-05-2010, 13:46
Nope...still here...just had limited time recently and when I have been able to 'hammer I've been spending it with my Orcs and Ogres. Konrad is gearing up to fight a few more battles before 8th kicks in, and when it does arrive, I reckon he'll continue, albeit with one less Wight King and a few more core.

Not had time to do a full viewing of the new rules but hopefully things like wolves and bat swarms will count towards the %, meaning that I can still keep most of the army moving at a good speed. The one thing I don't like is this 50% lord, 50% heroes business- I'd much rather have 50% General, 50% Heroes. That makes more sense to me.

Worry ye not, whatever comes, Konrad will return like a donner kebab after too many pints of Stella.

And Seaswift, while I appreciate the effort, I'm not sure other peoples rep threads is the place to be posting your own fluff...

there was one point just have to ask when a khorne unit chose not to overrun? don't frenzied units have to over run?

Although Daemons of Khorne, I'm pretty sure they aren't frenzied. TBH most of my reps are written a few days or more after the fact and typed up from quickly scribbled notes/ diagrams, so they may contain the odd inaccuracy.

SeaSwift
29-05-2010, 16:47
I apologise, in my defence I was inspired, had a flood of creativity and don't have Konrad (or indeed any VC) so I can't really do my own.

If you would prefer, I can remove it so you don't have to put up with people getting confused between my nonsense and your 'official' fluff.

On a sidenote, what on Earth is that Avatar? It looks like something from 'Over the Hedge'...

Ultimate Life Form
29-05-2010, 17:23
Ah, good to hear Konrad is merely biding his time. I was to ask if I could take over the thread if you had lost interest, but I'm glad you didn't. :p

But maybe a Vlad 'n Isabella army, with Konni as a recurring character... :shifty:

NightAngel
29-05-2010, 19:21
On a sidenote, what on Earth is that Avatar? It looks like something from 'Over the Hedge'...

This is the second time I've heard that question asked, I think it was an otter eating an egg but I'm not sure if I remember.

BigbyWolf
30-05-2010, 02:29
Close NightAngel, close...it's an otter eating a chick.

papabearshane
30-05-2010, 14:27
Great Fluff im enjoting this very much........Cant wait for some Green skin tasting.............As I got bored of my Magic heavy VC and got rid of them, you have inspired me to play a None magic filled/Combat heavy list in the future. Great Battles.

RanaldLoec
23-06-2010, 16:56
Ah bu**er I've just spent the last 3 hours reading this thread now its finished. I was so engrossed I missed the England world cup game. For you Americans that's like missing the superbowl.

I've been so inspired I'm going to try to model flying stuffed undead badger

BigbyWolf
23-06-2010, 17:28
B'aint finished yet laddie...Konrads got more up his sleeve, I'm just bogged down with various real-world things, and a few Fantasy related things too (trying to finish Estalia armybook, paint up a huuuuge amount of Trolls, Ogres, Night Goblins, more Ogres and possibly some High Elves...).

He will return, in fact, I may post my 8th edition list a little later for some feedback.

Malorian
23-06-2010, 21:54
It would be interesting to see what you have planned for 8th.

I too like running 'no magic' lists but this seems to be less viable in 8th.

Toshiro
24-06-2010, 06:29
Also looking forward to see what happens in 8th with Konrad :)

NightAngel
27-06-2010, 09:56
Horde of gouls me thinks. ;)

BigbyWolf
19-07-2010, 18:19
And so it appears, my friends, the last great list of our time! Finally, after many moons of confusion (and two games, both victories- N.Gobs and Bretts), Konrads 8th Edition Army is here...

I was pulled various ways when thinking about how to update Konnie for the brave new world he'll be facing, pretty annoyed by the 25% Lord Cap (as opposed to General). Meaning that I now could only take Konnie, Orlov and one more Wight King. At least Direwolves count towards my minimum core requirements!

Anyway, enough gibberish from me, here's the list:

Konrad- 145
Orlov- Barded Steed, BSB, Drakenhof Banner- 245
Wight King- Steed, Balefire Spike- 100
Total- 490

30 Ghouls- 240
35 Wolves- 280
As of yet I haven't decided how to put these guys. Ghouls will probably just make one big fat unit, and then have multiple units of doggies to wind people up.
Total- 520

8 Black Knights- Standard, Champion, Barding, Banner of the Barrows- 301 (Konrad and Orlov in here)
9 Black Knights- Standard, Banner of Helish Vigour- 257 (WK goes here)
Varghulf- 175
7 Blood Knights- Standard, Champion, Flag of Blood Keep- 505
Grand Total- 2248.

All in all, I don't think I've lost too much there. Suggestions?

MasterSparks
19-07-2010, 18:22
I like the style and design of your list alot, but be advised that you now have to spend at least a quarter of your points total (~563 in this case) on our valid core units, which would be Ghouls, Zombies and/or Skeletons. You'll need to add a few hundred points of valid core before you can get this new list off the ground properly. :)

BigbyWolf
20-07-2010, 10:25
Hmmm, I was under the impression that Dire Wolves, Carts and Bats did count towards minimum core…that creates a problem, as having to invest any further in infantry would cripple this army. Luckily this isn’t a tournament army, so I might just talk my gaming groups into accepting Wolves as core for this army.

Malorian
20-07-2010, 18:26
Hmmm, I was under the impression that Dire Wolves, Carts and Bats did count towards minimum coreÖthat creates a problem, as having to invest any further in infantry would cripple this army. Luckily this isnít a tournament army, so I might just talk my gaming groups into accepting Wolves as core for this army.

8th doesn't like your Konrad army :(

Hope your group is cool :)

BigbyWolf
20-07-2010, 22:26
Can't really see it being a big issue. I won't be using the army every week, and it's not like less Ghouls and more wolves is game-breaking.

Anyone got any thoughts on the cavalry units? Bigger, smaller, just right?

nagash42
21-07-2010, 05:28
i've heard cavalry is meh in 8th so I dunno take a big unit of grave guard instead? i'm sure konrad would have just chased the horses around thinking they were puppies.

Dungeon_Lawyer
21-07-2010, 09:17
The black Knight units are way too big--They will break nothing on the charge and get beat down in subsequent rounds of combat. Id go no more than 2 units of 5.

Cav cleans up in 8th after the big infantry block have there fun, it hunts war machines, looks for flanks every now and then... but doesnt break anything on frontal charges.

You need more infantry blocks.

BigbyWolf
21-07-2010, 15:04
Hmm, I've tried Konrad with Grave Guard before and it doesn't work too well (Frenzied M6 vs unit with M4), I've not got the 8th edition rulebook yet so am not clear on 100% of the rules, but I'm assuming you can still bait frenzied troops, that's why he kicks it with a unit of Black Knights. The premise of this army is a complete lack of magic, so to compensate everything needs to be as quick as possible.

Bearing that in mind, I can't see Blood Knights struggling too much in 8th edition, they decimated most things in 7th, and I'll keep faith with them in this one. Black Knights, on the other hand, were pretty hit/miss. The unit with Konrad in will be ok (Konnie, a Wight King and regenerate), but the second unit may require reviewing.

The only problem is what to swap them out for. I can't fit any more rare options in there, and the infantry choices are basically just free VP without any magic to raise them. Spirit Hosts and Fell Bats FTW?

grumbaki
21-07-2010, 15:15
Spirit hosts could be interesting. As there is no longer 'outnumbering', the most they will lose by is 4. Not saying much, but they could be a good roadblock for large enemy hordes (until you can get those black knights into the flank).

Also, I'm looking forward to more reports. The Konrad in your reports is so much better than anything GW has ever made. :)

Malorian
21-07-2010, 15:30
Hmm, I've tried Konrad with Grave Guard before and it doesn't work too well (Frenzied M6 vs unit with M4), I've not got the 8th edition rulebook yet so am not clear on 100% of the rules, but I'm assuming you can still bait frenzied troops, that's why he kicks it with a unit of Black Knights. The premise of this army is a complete lack of magic, so to compensate everything needs to be as quick as possible.

Two things:

1. A passed LD test saves you from being baited.

2. With the longer charges everything is getting into combat on turn 2 anyway.

RanaldLoec
22-07-2010, 19:27
I want more crazy vampire antics.

EbonhartLegions
27-07-2010, 06:30
I want more crazy vampire antics.

seconded:D

BigbyWolf
28-07-2010, 17:14
Two things:

1. A passed LD test saves you from being baited.

2. With the longer charges everything is getting into combat on turn 2 anyway.

Hmmm, but passing a Ld test is still a risk for Konnie, all it takes is one failure and he's out on his own for all to see. I might just stick him the the Blood Knights so the whole damn unit is crazy. Although I really was trying to avoid the whole regenerating Blood Knight issue.

Malorian
28-07-2010, 17:16
Any plans for a game in the near future?

Toshiro
28-07-2010, 19:55
seconded:D

Double seconded :)

NightAngel
28-07-2010, 21:10
Hmmm, but passing a Ld test is still a risk for Konnie, all it takes is one failure and he's out on his own for all to see. I might just stick him the the Blood Knights so the whole damn unit is crazy. Although I really was trying to avoid the whole regenerating Blood Knight issue.

The BSB lets you re-roll it aswell. And come on this realy just for fun. ;)

BigbyWolf
29-07-2010, 15:56
Double seconded :)

Triple seconded!

Oh, wait...it's my report thread. :shifty:

I don't have any upcoming 8th edition games with Konnie, however his last two 7th edition games are going to be posted in the form of stories to keep all you hungry fans happy ;).

I'm on holiday next week so will get them typed up while sat next to a pool sipping something cold with a mini-umbrella in it!

Verchild
29-07-2010, 17:22
We will wait with baited breath.

Mchagen
31-07-2010, 04:22
Seriously, this is easily the most amazing Batrep thread I have ever seen!

I read some of these posts before I got to your batreps/background BigbyWolf and I figured it was pure exaggeration.. it wasn't!

Impressive thread, great job.

Toshiro
31-07-2010, 07:45
Triple seconded!

Oh, wait...it's my report thread. :shifty:

I don't have any upcoming 8th edition games with Konnie, however his last two 7th edition games are going to be posted in the form of stories to keep all you hungry fans happy ;).

I'm on holiday next week so will get them typed up while sat next to a pool sipping something cold with a mini-umbrella in it!

Sweet, Konnie story written under alcohol influence, this will rock! :D

RanaldLoec
06-08-2010, 21:40
I have been sat in front of my computer bleary eyed for a week now waiting, hoping for a post. I won't abandon hope yet I still believe Konrad is out there some where chasing stuffed badger remains around a bloodthisters torn and tattered remains.

This is easily my favourite warseer thread.

Stronginthearm
07-08-2010, 06:02
Im just waiting for Konrad to run into the other chaos follows and dub himself "Ze Great Unclean Vun", "Ze Lord of Change" and "Ze Keeper of Zecrets" he could have the whole set,

BigbyWolf
19-08-2010, 15:09
My fellow merkins, it is with great sadness that I am retiring Konrad from active duty. 8th edition has unfortunately hit Konnie and his army harder than anticipated, and his new army is currently vying for a place against WoC, OnG, Night Goblins, ToC, Ogres, standard VC and an upcoming project involving Skaven and HElves (damn you, Island of Blood!!!). :cries:

While I am enjoying 8th edition, the little changes I need to make to the army tend to move it away from the original vision I had for it. Fear not though, for the last two battles I had with Konrad are currently being typed up and are going to begin my new thread in the Fiction section of the forums. This will be a new start for Konrad, no batreps, but instead his continuing adventures in a story form, with the occaisional poll if there are multiple paths to choose. From battles to quests, exploring dungeons to moonlight dinners with Orlov, the laughs, tears and badgers will continue!

NightAngel
19-08-2010, 16:13
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :cries: :cries: :cries:

Malorian
19-08-2010, 20:03
Well I expected this.

Thanks for doing these series of reports BigbyWolf, it certainly opened my eyes to a special character I once thought was useless, and you made me laugh many times along the way :D

RanaldLoec
19-08-2010, 20:17
Here here well done please add a link when you start the new forum.

Toshiro
19-08-2010, 20:48
NOOO! I need my Konnie fix!

BigbyWolf
19-08-2010, 22:46
Well I expected this.

I know, I kinda hoped to carry it on, but 8th put me out a little too much:

Lord/ Hero split meant that my heros were limited (why you couldnt have 50% Lord/ Hero with up to 25% Lord limit, I just don't understand).

I had to take more Ghouls, which would have meant needing the Ghoulkin power to make them truly effective, and that would have meant adding a Vampire (boosting the magic pool- I could have just ignored the dice, but still, that's not the point).

My mini units of cavalry, well, Black Knights, would have been next to useless with only a single attack. I reckon the Bloods would have been ok.

It will be resurrected for the odd one off 7th edition game, as I still owe the Khorne Daemon player a re-match, so that's always something to look forward to.

Thanks for doing these series of reports BigbyWolf, it certainly opened my eyes to a special character I once thought was useless, and you made me laugh many times along the way :D

NOOO! I need my Konnie fix!

It's always nice to be appreciated, thanks guys. I was pleasantly surprised by Konrad, and considering the fact that I don't often use SCs, I'm having a hard time keeping him out of my current VC army.

I'm definitely going to do a few short tales with Konrad as I have a lot of fun writing them, so even if there are no reports, he'll be hanging around.

Out of interest, guys, it may take a little while longer than popping the stories up, but would you rather have the last two games done as batreps?

Here here well done please add a link when you start the new forum.

Will do!

NightAngel
20-08-2010, 14:26
out of interest, guys, it may take a little while longer than popping the stories up, but would you rather have the last two games done as batreps?

yes yes yes !!!! :D

Malorian
20-08-2010, 16:19
I'd like the battle reports :)

Toshiro
20-08-2010, 20:27
Batreps, definitely :)

kormas
21-08-2010, 02:22
deffinatly batt repps, and i second the request for a link when you start up your narritive log thingy :)

Ultimate Life Form
27-08-2010, 16:07
Sorry ta hear that, but I guess it was inevitable. :(

Looking forward to Konrad's even newer and even more improved adventures though. And yeah, bring on the batreps!

Francis
20-09-2010, 23:32
How are the bat reps coming along? I am dying with anticipation here. These stories are some the most entertaining ones I've read in a long time.:D

Thanks for some great stories Bigbywolf.

BigbyWolf
04-04-2011, 14:27
Ok, so I have chalked my previous two incarnations of Mr Von C's 8th edition adventures down to bad planning...both the lists just didn't feel right and didn't give me anywhere near as much funz as my 7th edition list did...especially the one with dirty, FILTHY MAGIC.

*Spits on Floor*.

So, bearing that in mind I have condemned those heretical lists to the darkest depths of my memory and explained Konrads absence as a period of respite for the maniacal vampire. He has been recuperating in a small village on the borders of Bretonnia and the Empire (By "recuperating", I mean "slaughtering peasants mercilessly, and by "small village" I mean "small village")...

Orlov looked on sullenly as the Count capered around the inn, dragging his latest "friend" with him. Well, "looked on" isn't the right phrase when you take into account that, as a Wight, Orlov didn't actually have any eyes...He sighed, exasperated with his master...well, "sighed" probably isn't the right word when you take into account that, as a Wight, Orlov didn't actually have any lungs. Orlov still managed to make a sighing sound (well, "sound" probab-oh, you get the picture...) needless to say he projected the image of his frustration to Konrad with the subtlety of a tactless dwarf. Konrad simply ignored it, or possibly thought that his bodyguard had wind (yes, yes...I know...no digestive system. ).

With an exclamation of "No, zer is no room...you zimply cannot ztay in zee inn!" Kornrad hurled his friend (Basically, the Innkeepers head with a broom-handle forced up the windpipe) out of the window, landing sacrilegiously close to a nearby manger. Finally finished with his frivolities for the day, Konrad slumped down in a chair, leaning forward he studied the plans that Orlov had been trying to get him to study for the last week or so. And as it was Konrad, Orlov hadn't had to spend too much time on them...The table was divided into two halves, one was labelled "Plan A" and contained an egg with "Them" written on it, and a brick named "Us". Surprisingly enough, the other half of the table was labelled "Plan B" and contained another egg (Us) and another brick (Them).

"So...to summarize...", Orlov continued from where he had been before the Count had dashed of to mutilate a few corpses, "The plan can go one of two ways...Plan "A" goes as follows- We charge them...", Orlov picked up the brick and dropped it on the egg, showering the giggling vampire in yolk, "...and they die." Konrad nodded gleefully at this, and turned to the other plan, his brow furrowing in concentration (faked concentration...this is Konrad we're talking about...that, and it's also usually hard to concentrate on something when your eyes are filled with egg). "And zis von?" Zis (sorry, This...) time, Orlov picked up the egg and dropped it on the brick. "Basically, master, we charge them and we die. Again."

"Again?"
"Yes, again."
"But ve get better again?"
"Yes master, again."
"Again?"
"Yes, again...it's one of the benefits of being dead already (again), and it also helps that we're the central characters in a battle-driven narrative. We'll keep coming back, someway or another.."
"Like Nagash?"
"Yes master, but with style..."

So, without further ado...

Konrad Von Carsein- 145
Orlov (WK BSB)- Drakenhof Banner- 225
Wight King- Tomb Blade- 100
Total- 470

30 Skeletons- Full Command- 260
30 Ghouls- Ghast- 248
Total- 508

30 Grave Guard- Full Command- 390
10 Black Knights- Standard, Standard of Hellish Vigour- 281
Total- 671

2x Varghulf- 350

Grand Total- 1999

Although I intend the basis of the army to remain the same, I have considered the following options:

Drop 1 Varghulf,
Add 10 skeletons and ghouls.

Drop 1 Varghulf,
Add 4 Bats and 10 Dogs

or, as all of the above replacements are 80 points each, I could mix and match...

Any thoughts?

Malorian
04-04-2011, 14:52
Dropping one varg to make the others hordes is an idea but it would be even better to turn those skeletons into ghouls.

Also not a fan of the tombblade on the wight king but obviously with no magic it is your only way to raise them back up. Just keep in mind that you can get the same from a great weapon as it will reduce the amount you will lose combat by and thus how many fewer crumble.

Boss_Salvage
04-04-2011, 17:28
Any thoughts?One of my favorite batrep series is back and it's time to rock and roll??

The list looks pretty functional to me. Regen-ing grave guard win games for VC (even though they often have danse, invoke, the banner of the barrows, the helm of cheese and great weapons going for them too), yours should help out greatly as well. While I like double vargs (suuuuuuch cheap t-stomps :evilgrin:) I'm a bit partial to your first alternative, to drop 1 vargy for 10 more skellies and ghouls. Without raise spam I'd think the numbers would probably help out more than another big critter - though I'm not 100% behind that swap, 2x vargs is much scarier than 1x vargs ...

- Salvage

BigbyWolf
05-04-2011, 10:42
Whoops...didn't realise that I'd copied & pasted the list part as well as the fluff into the batrep section. If it's ok with you guys, I'm going to take your quotes over to my Konnie thread in the Army List forums and pop my reply down their. Feel free to follow! :)

ghost21
20-05-2011, 11:58
i loved that hope to hear more from konrad soon

Gharof von Carstein
27-05-2011, 09:14
I find it a bit weird your running a Konrad based army without blood knights and necromancers. Those two units were the reason Konrad's campaign was even succesfull to begin with. Would just improve the fluff is all :)

BigbyWolf
27-05-2011, 09:22
IIRC his early campaigns were thwarted by the evil backstabbing antics of the Necromancers, thats why he slaughtered them all*. As for the Blood Knights, given the number that he lost in the latter campaigns Blood Keep refuses to provide any more troops to him.

*- Besides, it kinda defeats the point to put magic users in an army that's built around the idea of taking no magic. :p

EDIT: I'm glad you bumped this thread up into view though, I had a battles against Ogres and WoC before Warseer had the malware issues and never got round to posting them. Now you've reminded me I'll get them uploaded over the bank-holiday weekend!

Malorian
27-05-2011, 12:22
Now you've reminded me I'll get them uploaded over the bank-holiday weekend!

Upload them now!!!

:p:D

BigbyWolf
27-05-2011, 12:26
I can't...I'm in the office! How about I promise one tomorrow and one by Monday?

Complete with new list, pre and post game stories, and a mystery box!

Malorian
27-05-2011, 12:30
Who could ever say no to a mystery box? ;)

BigbyWolf
28-05-2011, 17:33
Of Fatties and Misplaced Hammers

Gavin the Ghoul scratched the side of his head nervously, causing a large scab to float gently to the floor like a badly clotted feather. He really didn't want to interrupt Konrad, but Orlov had dispatched him to fetch the count over ten minutes ago...and he knew full well that Orlov was as patient as the count was sane. He had told, or at least hinted, that the Wight had requested Konrad's presence as quickly as possible, but all Konrad had done was stare blankly at him, dribble, and return to positioning the corpses of the dead villagers and their animals in extravagant, amusing (and sometimes downright crude poses). He scratched harder, and his left ear landed on his toe. Bending over, Gavin snatched it up quickly and pocketed it...after all, lunch is lunch. He coughed, deliberately, trying to draw his masters attention.

Konrad sighed, turning from his fleshy diorama to the filthy onlooker and raising an eyebrow expectantly.

"Ummm...Captain Orlov says can you come quick boss? He says..."

Gavin's voice trailed off as his eyes were drawn to Konrad's final piece of "art", he was pretty sure that he was looking at the woodcutters wife, and where was the blacksmiths hammer going? And was that the village pig as well? Gavin was quite happy rummaging through his own droppings for a snack and hadn't changed his clothes in three years...but what the count had done disgusted even him...

His eyes snapped back to the count, and he explained that there was an enemy force approaching. Konrad whooped (possibly with joy at the thought of the upcoming battle, but probably just because he really, really enjoyed whooping) and dashed off. Gavin cast one last glance over at the woodcutters wife, shuddered, and followed

The army...

Konrad- 145
Orlov- Wight King BSB, Banner of Drakenhof- 225
Wight King- Steed, Balefire Spike- 100

40 Ghouls- Ghast (Gavin)- 328
20 Skeletons- Full command- 180

26 Grave Guard- Full Command, Banner of the Barrows, Great Weapons- 413
9 Black Knights- Standard, Musician, Banner of Hellish Vigour- 257

Varghulf- 175
Varghulf- 175

Total- 1998

Konrad clambered onto the roof of the privy, surveying his troops. His excitement turned to disappointment when he failed to spot the red armour of the Knights of Blood Keep, he turned to Orlov.

"Ver are my Bludknights? You know I like to ride to battle on von of zer horses! Did you zend vord to zee keep for replacements?" He demanded, as petulantly as a 6-foot vampire vearing, sorry, wearing armour and wielding a huge sword could. Orlov shrugged.

"I DID, MY LORD...BUT AFTER OUR LAST LOT OF THEM DIED THERE ARE ONLY THREE LEFT, AND THEY WANT TO HANG ON TO THEIR IMMORTALITY FOR A LITTLE BIT LONGER. I BELIEVE THEIR REPLY INVOLVED A SUGGESTION THAT YOU COULD GO AND ENJOY...INTERCOURSE...WITH YOURSELF."

Konrads brow furrowed curiously, and Orlov, realising his master was internally debating the merits of such action, hurried on.

"BUT...WE HAVE NEW REPLACEMENTS. WE FOUND A COUPLE OF VARGHULFS EARLIER, AND THEY ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO JOIN US."

Konrad cast his gaze over his ghouls and a newly formed unit of Wights on foot.

"And vhy do vee have so few ghouls?"

"WELL, THE VARGHULFS...THEY GET HUNGRY..."

"And vhere are the zee horses vor zose Vights?"

"VERY HUNGRY..."

Konrad considered this for a moment, then realised he'd forgotten what he was considering and leapt off the privy.

"Zo, ve go on foot from now. Vhere is zee enemy, and who are zey?"

Orlov pointed to the north.

"OGRES, SIR. MOVING DOWN THE PASS TOWARDS THE VILLAGE. IF WE MOVE NOW WE CAN CATCH THEM THERE, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SPACE AND FORCE THEM TO BOTTLENECK..."

He trailed off as he realised the count was no longer standing next to him. He turned and saw Konrad scampering towards the pass and sighed, signalling the advance.

The Enemy...

Tyrant- Giantbreaker, Sword of +2A, Wyrdstone Necklace, Dragonhelm, Potion of Speed, Heavy Armour, Luck Gnoblar- 311
Butcher- Dispell Scroll, 2x Tooth Gnoblar
Bruiser- BSB, Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Banner of Discipline- 182

4 Ironguts- Std, Mus, Runemaw, Lookout Gnoblar- 247
5 Ironguts- FC, Lookout- 255
6 Bulls- Std, Mus- 260
40 Gnoblars- 80
8 Trappers- 48

3 Leadbelchers- 165
2 Leadbelchers- 110

Giant- 175

Total- 1998

The Battle:

Battle for the pass, complete with an ordinary forest, a blood forest, two buildings (both houses), a ghost-fence obstacle and some Arcane Ruins.

Typing that up has taken a little longer than I though it would...off to watch the match this evening, but will have the rest up later or in the morning.

herald of kairos
28-05-2011, 23:21
YAY it's back after months of waiting and hoping it's back, and as good as ever a cookie to you good sir for bringing back these brilliant adventures.

BigbyWolf
30-05-2011, 13:15
As it was "Battle for the Pass" we fought lengthways across the board, the following is how it looked from the side I picked after terrain. I had an ordinary forest 8-10" from my left hand side of the board, two-thirds of it in my deployment zone, and on the other side (practically on the edge of the board), just above my deployment zone were some arcane ruins. In deployment zone (abut 8 inches behind the ruins was a ramshackle farmhouse. In the middle of no-man's" land there was a "ghost fence" (straight up from the ruins) and a standard house (straight up from the ordinary forest). To the left of the middle and split 50/50 between my opponents deployment zone and "no-mans" land was a large Blood Forest. I won the roll for choosing sides and picked the one with the arcane ruins (to deny my opponent). Also the location of his forest and the building in the centre of the map would help to split his forces.

I deployed (from left to right): Black Knights between board edge and forest, ghouls on the other side of the forest, grave guard with Konnie and Orlov next to them, and the skeletons next to them. The two Varghulfs went behind the ruins.

My opponent deployed (again, left to right) Gnoblars, Ironguts with butcher, Ironguts with BSB and Tyrant, then 3 Lead Belchers. That took him from the table edge to the Blood Forest, then on the other side of it were the giant and the last two Lead Belchers. He deployed the unit of bulls behind his Gnoblars (deployed for steadfast). His Trappers were deployed in the building in the middle of the map.

Vampire Turn 1

I won first turn and rolled for Konrad. Stupidity, but easily passed thanks to Orlov. All of my units pressed forwards as far as they could, with the exception of the Varghulfs who moved around to the other side of the ruins.

Magic, shooting? Bah!

Ogre Turn 1

His Gnoblars pushed up to the side of the building, blocking my knights path. His Bulls moved towards the building and the other units on that side tried to squeeze between the building and the Blood Forest, the Lead Belchers ended up slightly inside the forest (and that's how we discovered it was a Blood Forest). The Giant moved into the gap between the forest and the fence, and the Belchers moved behind the fence.

The magic phase generated 9 Pd and 5DD. He cast Bonecrusher on the Grave Guard, rolling 11 on two dice, which I didn't try to dispel. 5 hits, 2 wounds, one regenerated. He then took a wound from the spell.

He cast Trollguts on his tyrants unit, I needed 6 to dispel, and got. He failed his strength test for Bullgorger, and I needed 8 to dispel the Toughness spell. I put my last three dice into it and succeeded. He regained his lost would through Bloodgruel.

His 3 Leadbelchers fired at the Grave Guard, killing two.

Vampire Turn 1

I declared charges with the Graveguard on the Tyrants Ironguts, the Ghouls the other Ironguts, the Black Knights on the Gnoblars and the Varghulfs both charged the Giant. I rolled well, and all but the Ghouls were successful.

The Gnoblars caused 1 wound with sharp stuff, but I saved it. I killed 11 of the Gnoblars and lost none in return, breaking them (they were just outside the Tyrants bubble) and running them down.

His giant tried to throttle one of the Varghulfs with its chain, but I passed my test. The Varghulfs then inflicted 3 wounds on the Giant (disappointing, considering I hit 9 times), but I broke him anyway, but failed to catch it by a few inches.

The Tyrant challenged, and Konnie stepped up, only to see the big guy chug back a potion of swiftness and turn into a blistering whirlwind of blubber and sword. The Tyrant now had the upper hand, and charged in, inflicting 4 wounds, 3 of which were regenerated. Konrad struck back, causing two wounds that doubled to four, then red fury kicked in and he sliced the Tyrant in two. A total of 6 wounds caused.

Orlov caused two wounds on the Ironguts, the Bruiser failed to cause any wounds. My hoarded-up Grave Guard stode forwards, 22 able to attack. 11 wounds. Needless to say, they lost. I hadn't allocated any attacks against the bruiser, but he was run-down easily. Both nearby units passed the panic tests.

Ogre Turn Two

The last Ironguts flank-charged the Black Knights, the three Leadblechers and Bulls each charged a flank of the Graveguard and the Leadbelchers on the flank turned to face the backs of the Varghulfs. The Giant rallied.

He got Regeneration, Toughness and Strength off on the Bulls. The Leadbelchers caused a wound on a Varghulf.

In combat the Wight King manoeuvred his way to the flank on the knights unit but failed to do anything, the Black Knights caused a wound. The Wight King was easily smashed down, as were 6 of the other Knights. The rest simply crumbled in embarrassment.

Konrad moved across to face the bulls, causing 6 wounds. The Grave Guard couldn't add to the total, but did cause 3 wounds on the LBs. The bull in contact with Konnie failed to hit, the remaining ones caused a wound on the Graveguard. Both units fled, I let the LBs go into the forest, and followed the Bulls, falling just short of them.

Vampire Turn 3

I charged the bulls with the Graveguard, the Giant with the Vargulfs again, and the Ghouls (finally remembering the Trappers were in the building) tried to assault the farmhouse.

The Bulls were run down, which caused the Ironguts to break and run off the board. The Giant was decimated by the Varghulfs and the Ghouls took the farmhouse.

At this point he conceded, given that he had a handful of LBs remaining and I still had practically anything. This also gave us a chance to play a second game (the aforementioned WoC).

So, some things to consider...

1. Play bold. With an army like this, you have to. I only just made the charge with the Graveguard, had I not then I could have been facing multiple charges to that unit.

2. Varghulfs are amazing in pairs. But for crappy rolls to wound, that Giant would have gone down in the first turn.

3. Graveguard with GWs in horde formation are great!

4. Never, ever take Konrad in a unit without the regen banner. The tyrant would have minced him without it.

5. From the opponents point of view- Don't tone down to face this list. His normal list is more competitive, and includes more magic, which could have easily ruined my day.

An overall view- My opponent admitted he bet against me making the charge, hoping that'd I'd fail, leaving him another turn to get spells off on the unit and also bring other units into the combat. If his Tyrant had had regen, instead of a 5+ ward, he would have lasted more than one combat (he did role a lot of 4s for his ward save...).

Malorian
30-05-2011, 14:45
Well good first game for 8th ed Konrad.

Looking forward to the next one.

Sexiest_hero
31-05-2011, 07:52
The rest simply crumbled in embarrassment. Best line ever!

BigbyWolf
31-05-2011, 12:12
The rest simply crumbled in embarrassment. Best line ever!

Thanks! :p

Well good first game for 8th ed Konrad.

Looking forward to the next one.

Yeah, wasn't very satisfying though. Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy with a win, I'd just prefer it not to be in turn two. Ah well, WoC up next. Complete with Lvl 4, Knights, GW horde and Chosen deathstar.

Will Konnie triumph?
Will he ever be able to find another mammal to replace Weyland?
Will Orlov finally admit his love for the count?

All this, and more in: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF KONRAD!

Kriegschmidt
01-06-2011, 14:48
I haven't been following this thread.

Sqallum
01-06-2011, 15:23
Great stuff :D Are VC good in this edition? I ask because some people say they are insane, some say they are rubbish :confused: I might even collect them.. I like GG.. a lot! :D
Sqallum

BigbyWolf
01-06-2011, 16:09
I haven't been following this thread.

*Shakes fist* :mad:

Great stuff :D Are VC good in this edition? I ask because some people say they are insane, some say they are rubbish :confused: I might even collect them.. I like GG.. a lot! :D
Sqallum

They're more balanced than they were in 7th edition. Although I'm not sure I'm in the best position to comment on it...my list is a little...unique.

As far as general points go, things like Graveguard and Ghouls in horde are pretty hard, Black Knights and Varghulfs hit pretty hard, and Blood Knights are mincing machines. Backed up by fairly nifty magic and nasty characters means that if you have a decent selection of models, you can probably put out a list to put up a good fight against anyone.

My list has one of two outcomes when it comes to the battle. It either wins convincingly or loses horribly. But them's the breaks!

Malorian
01-06-2011, 16:48
They're more balanced than they were in 7th edition.

Yup, no more crazy PD builds.

Thanks to MotBA they still have a strong magic phase and forbidden knowledge lets them know any spell they want, but grave guard is where it's really at for VC in 8th. Done right these guys can walk through anything and take on entire armies by themselves.

Ehtereal units are also better now since they can tie up entire hordes.

BigbyWolf
01-06-2011, 17:00
What's a "magic phase"? :confused:

:shifty:

Sqallum
01-06-2011, 17:44
lol, thanks :)
Sqallum

Kriegschmidt
02-06-2011, 09:19
*Shakes fist* :mad:

Secksy wiggel :p

My list has one of two outcomes when it comes to the battle. It either wins convincingly or loses horribly. But them's the breaks!

For me, that's it :D Why I love Planestrike, and Daemons in 40k, I guess.

As far as general points go, things like Graveguard and Ghouls in horde are pretty hard, Black Knights and Varghulfs hit pretty hard, and Blood Knights are mincing machines. Backed up by fairly nifty magic and nasty characters means that if you have a decent selection of models, you can probably put out a list to put up a good fight against anyone.

I'm about to start play-testing an Iron Warriors codex but after that will be looking forward to getting stuck into all things Vampiric again. I've got some Grave Guard but have never used them: there always seemed to be something more "exciting" to use instead... I do like the "one-or-two powerful characters plus shambling horde" idea that fits so well with VCs, so perhaps I'll give the Grave Guard a go instead of something more zappy.

I can't believe I just said, "zappy". *begins terrified hunt for beige*

BigbyWolf
02-06-2011, 14:05
Yeah, "a point and shoot" army is always fun. No need for any great tactical...ummm...tactics. Hell, I can't even retreat with them. The options for this are: Move, Don't move, combat. Actually thinking about it, my Orc army is probably the most subtle army I use. Quite ironic, really.

Graveguard are great fun, previously I'd used them with H/W and shield, but with the regen banner in there it makes it pointless to go for the 6+ ward. They've also got an average Initiative, which is a bonus these days. That, and S6 works wonders.

Malorian
02-06-2011, 14:17
As does the 2+ to hit...

Sqallum
02-06-2011, 14:27
As does the 2+ to hit...

:confused: How? Banner of barrows.. how else?
Sqallum

Malorian
02-06-2011, 16:05
Banner of barrows and helm of commandment.

So I guess it's misleading to say straight up they hit on a 2+, but anything WS6 or less they will ;)

Sqallum
02-06-2011, 19:36
Ah, thanks :)
Sqallum

Dungeon_Lawyer
21-06-2011, 09:38

A digital camera and flicker account. ;)

Great fluff and batreps- just starting to get into your new conrad thread, will be back for more in short order!!!!