Rare:

2 Treeman

Sum:

Models: 71

Dispell dice: 5 + Divination orb + scroll
Power dice: 3

Shooting: 22 Longbows + DoomArrow

Plan:

*All the trees go up first with the treemans centered, keep wild riders behind the tree line, blocking line of sight for shooting and magic.

*Glade guards covering fire on the flanks depending on how the enemy has set up his army.

*In combat the treeman's go in first and try to hold they enemys occupied with their stuborn until the dryads+wild riders+Alter noble can reach the flanks or a frontal charge if necessary.

*Alter noble goes skirmish-, mage-, warmachineshunting

I have never tried this list.
So is this rubbish or a good thought? comments comments comments...

Alltaken
25-02-2010, 15:45
I'd say it only misses horses, 1 unit of wild riders at least.

cyberspite
25-02-2010, 16:19
You mean glade riders? I would say maybe warhawks or an eagle, don't forget anything on a hill can shoot over your treeline, but otherwise pretty tough.

Kukkelukke
25-02-2010, 16:37
Hmm. I find this list quite boring...

And its defenetely the 2 treemen that are the reason of the succes in this army.. If any..

The problem with this list is that dryads are great, but please - dont spam them like this. The WE list is actually the only list that really rewards you if you bring different kinds of units...

You miss fast cav. yes...
And its possible to win with this list yes, but i really do find it boring...

knauden
25-02-2010, 23:46
Hmm. I find this list quite boring...

And its defenetely the 2 treemen that are the reason of the succes in this army.. If any..

The problem with this list is that dryads are great, but please - dont spam them like this. The WE list is actually the only list that really rewards you if you bring different kinds of units...

You miss fast cav. yes...
And its possible to win with this list yes, but i really do find it boring...

Boring, yes maybe it is! :P

Well I've updated the list with some of your advices.
I was thinking about a Eternal guard unit, 15 or 20 man strong.. but then I would need a noble or highborn in the unit for the stuborn rule. worth it?

Updated

Core:

10 Glade guards + Spellsinger
5 Glade riders
5 Glade riders
8 Dryads - champ + Branchwraith
8 Dryads - champ

Special:

5 Wild riders - champ, mus, warbanner + Lord
4 Warhawk riders
7 Wardancers - mus, champ
7 wardancers - mus, champ

Rare:

1 Treeman

Sum:

Models: 60

Dispell dice: 5 + Divination orb + scroll
Power dice: 3

Shooting: 26 Longbows + DoomArrow

Alltaken
26-02-2010, 03:22
I don't know about the 4 warhawks, but it looks way better

HannibalSW
26-02-2010, 09:49
I started doing an Eternal Guard unit with the BSB in it. Once I gave her the Banner that makes the unit cause fear and gives MR1 to all units within 12 inches. Only problem with that is the BSB has crap for a save. I think you might actually be able to still stick the spites on there(annoyance of netlings), since they are not magical armor or weapons. The other time I just used the plain banner and gave her the Annoyance of Netlings and maybe a piece of armor.

The EG is susceptible to shooting. Only get a 5+ save so elf BT will pick them appart as will other multi-shot war machines or units with multi shots. They are nice at stubborn 9 and with the reroll if you take the BSB. If you keep the treeman close he is 8 stubborn with the reroll.

I stuck the Highborn inside the EG once with the Bow of Loren and the Starfire arrows. It was against High elves who have decent leadership so it didnt do much, but it did make a spearmen unit flee on the last part of turn. So it had no chance to rally. Fun fun.

I usually dont attach my spellsinger to a unit, just leave her in a wooded terrain in my deployment, or similar terrain out of LOS. Its easy for the GG unit to turn and run with her in trailing behind.

Hannibal

Kukkelukke
26-02-2010, 10:15
EG are usually not worth it! T3 and 5+ save is not enought for a block unit! They die too easily....

However this list is a lot more fun. I would stick to 3x8 dryads though...

Good luck ;)

HannibalSW
26-02-2010, 10:47
They are squishy and I would agree not worth it without a noble or highborn. The ability to make them Stubborn 9 is great. You can also do much to protect them. Give them the 5+ ward save for the unit on the highborn. Avoid missile fire by protecting them with dryads to the front, or some units screening on the side. I played so much with my old list I had to start using something different. So far they have done well for me! Don't discount them entirely!

Alltaken
26-02-2010, 14:14
stubborn Ld9 fight to files, 5+ yes or yes save, and 2 attacks (this last I can't fully recall) is IMO not bad at all. You just have to keep in mind Elves ARE Squishy, play with that in mind and they're not bad at all I'd say

Kukkelukke
26-02-2010, 15:10
I still think there are better choices for an anvil unit in the list.

4x treekin with 4+ save and 5+ ward (forest spirit) and t5 instead of T3 makes a huge difference. Ofc they are a speciel unit, but they hit back harder too... 3 S5 attacks are IMO better..

Also the treeman/ancient is a better choice. Hes able to hold almost anything.. Ofc hes also very expensive.

Still a unit of 15-20 EG with a noble + 5+ ward save banner is very expensive too, and limits your hero choices. Also EG need to be guarded by dryads.. Because of thisId say that the other anvil choices are better. They do better on their own and hit back..
Therefore, in my humble opinion, I dont think the WE list needs a real Block unit. They do better without it :)

sssk
26-02-2010, 15:26
I'm liking the look of the second list (wardancers are awesome just for the models if nothing else).

I come from a dwarfs/deamons background, so I'm used to my characters shrugging off cannonballs etc. Therefore when using my wood elves (and indeed goblins), I use the mantra: If they get hit they're gonna die anyway, so there's little point trying to protect them with expensive armour.

Now obviously this is purely a personal preference, but if you get rid of the oaken armour, you can fill out some other units (personally I'd go for an extra wardancer in each unit, and musicians in any unit that can have them...cos they're great) and also you won't be tempted to charge your lord into fights that he probably shouldn't be in anyway, or put him anywhere where he's at risk.

I'll emphasise again, that I'm from a "tough" army background, so for me, if it isn't toughness 5 with a 1+ re-rolled save, and a 4+ ward, it's probably not gonna last long in a fight (obviously a slight exageration, but I do miss that dwarf lord).

If you prefer your lord to be able to hold his own for a bit in a fight, then fair enough. Horses for courses etc (never did understand that phrase)