PDA

View Full Version : Breaking units and panic

yorch
25-02-2010, 22:11
The other day a difficult situation occured during a game and we didn't know how to solve it properly (we were not sure).

A pack of giant rats charges another pack of giant rats (it was a skavenVSskaven civil war). They kill 2 of my giant rats, so the unit, which had 6 models, turns out to have 4. The the rats break. I had a couple of units nearby. Here comes the question:

Do the nearby units (at 6'' distance) have to make a panic check?
At the start of the combat my unit had US6, but when they broke they had 4 (2 deads). Which is the unit strenght used for the panic check?

I said they didn't cause panic... as if they were fleeing due to shooting (you kill 2, 4 flee and they cross a friendly unit -> No panic check). But my friend said you had to count the 6 of them. Finally we throw a dice, I won and they didn't cause panic, but I am not 100% sure that was the correct solution (not causing panic checks).

In the spanish rule book it's not clear enough (or not clear enough for me :( )... maybe in the original book it's better written. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

theunwantedbeing
25-02-2010, 22:21
When you break, thats the unit strength that is used to determine if panic is caused or not.

Haravikk
25-02-2010, 22:44
I think the confusion comes when the unit is wiped out, as you use its starting strength (at the beginning of the phase) for that. As theunwantedbeing says though for a unit fleeing as a result of failing a break test you just use whatever strength remains.

stripsteak
25-02-2010, 22:50
unit destroyed - start of phase US
broken in combat - current US
fleeing through friendly - current US

yorch
25-02-2010, 23:46
Thanks everyone! :)