PDA

View Full Version : What is the correct pronounciation for the following ?

Griffin
26-02-2010, 10:30
hoeth and charce - how do you pronounce these ?

Ultimate Life Form
26-02-2010, 10:34
hoeth and charce - how do you pronounce these ?

Except it's Chrace...

(Heck I'm no Elf player and even I know that).

Also people need to learn that pronunciation isn't absolute and the same sequence of letters is pronounced entirely differently in different languages, and I'm certain that the Warhammer world is no exception. Or, in other words, the correct pronunciation depends on where you are.

Personally I say Hoh-eth and craze.

Anaris
26-02-2010, 10:38
I don't know if it's correct or not but I've always said.

Hoeth - (Hoo-eth)

Hoo as in Hoo Hoo Hoo (i.e. Santa) and then -eth

Chrace (correct spelling)

Ch as in Church and then race.

Condottiere
26-02-2010, 11:13
Hoe - eth

K- hh - rae - zz

Avian
26-02-2010, 11:20
Ho-eff

Kra-ze

Jedi152
26-02-2010, 11:28
Interesting to see people pronouncing it 'Craze' with a 'z' sound. I've always pronounced it 'crase' with an 's' sound.

sssk
26-02-2010, 11:32
I tend to say:

Ho (as in Santa style ho-ho-ho) eth (as in eth-eth-eth-eth-eth-eth-eth SCORCHIO....or ethics).

Char (as in chariot) ace (as in, that's ace, or face, or base, or race, or lace, or mace...or some other things).

But I have a fairly strong inkling that I'm saying Chrace wrong, because that's just how I read it the first time I saw it (a million billion years ago) when I probably wasn't paying attention/couldn't read properly, and it's stuck like that in my head.

ULF hit the nail on the head though, it's like so many words, different people say it in different ways, I doubt anyone is right or wrong. Like the age old "tomayto" / "Tomarto" (tomato) question.

Zarryiosiad
26-02-2010, 11:44
While we're on the subject, how do you guys pronounce "Skaven"?

Is it SKAVE-uhn (long 'A'), or SCAV-uhn (short 'A')? My buddies all use the first pronounciation, but I've always maintained that Skaven is short for "scavenger".

Zarryiosiad

Avian
26-02-2010, 11:46
Skay-ven is how I do it.

Dai-Mongar
26-02-2010, 11:58
So...
How do you pronounce Tzeentch? :angel:

Ultimate Life Form
26-02-2010, 12:30
So...

You absolutely had to do that, yes? :p

Teenchy.

Yes, that's right.

Though personally I keep pronouncing it the way I read it first: Tsay-antch

shakedown47
26-02-2010, 12:32
So...

I say Zeentch, no "t" sound. Like Tzar.

Everyone around me, it seems, says Tuh-Zeentch. It drives me crazy, like putting the "h" in coolwhip.

No way of knowing who's right and who's wrong though.

Avian
26-02-2010, 12:41
Zeen-tch

Anyways, is it true that people outside of Norway don't pronounce the G in "gnoblar"?

Jedi152
26-02-2010, 12:42
I pronounce Tzar with a T sound, just like i do Tzeentch.

Anyways, is it true that people outside of Norway don't pronounce the G in "gnoblar"?
Nob-lar is how we say it.

Ultimate Life Form
26-02-2010, 12:43
Zeen-tch

No, it's not true, German's the same.

Yes, in Germany, we actually pronounce the letters we write!

(My favorite word is Bordeaux...)

Condottiere
26-02-2010, 13:17
I suspect that the pronunciation of Tzeentch varies depending on the astrological position of Uranus, the longitude you're currently on and the Dow Jones average.

ashc
26-02-2010, 13:31
I suspect that the pronunciation of Tzeentch varies depending on the astrological position of Uranus, the longitude you're currently on and the Dow Jones average.

And whether you feel lucky, punk ;)

MalusCalibur
26-02-2010, 13:37
Personally, I say them as follows:

Hoeth: Ho-eth. Say what you see!

Chrace: Kr-ay-se

Skaven: Skay-ven

Gnoblar: Nob-lar

Tzeentch: Zeench or even Zench - for me either is fine, they're slight variations on each other.

ashc
26-02-2010, 13:42
I always feel the two ee's in Tzeentch are needlessly pronounced, and so myself and friends have pretty much called it 'Zinch' and pronounced as such for 12+ years.

Lord Malorne
26-02-2010, 13:48
Interesting to see people pronouncing it 'Craze' with a 'z' sound. I've always pronounced it 'crase' with an 's' sound.

I always says Chrace as cr-ace.

And Hoeth as Ho-eth.

Zeen-tch

Same here for Tzeentch. That is how you guys say Gnoblar? Man that's cool :D.

Dai-Mongar
26-02-2010, 14:42
Ah, pronunciation threads. Incedentally, I wonder how many people are pronouncing "pronunciation" wrong... :p
Since I brought it up, I say Tzeentch like "mensch" but with a "z" instead of an "m". Makes little sense, but old habits die hard.
Also for me:
Hoeth = Ho-eth
Chrace = race with a "ch" in front as pronounced in "church"
And a couple of random 40K-related words:
Arbites = ARR-bit-eez
Tyranid = TIRR-an-id
Catachan = cah-TATCH-an

Souppilgrim
26-02-2010, 15:36
I could have sworn I read an official writing once that said any pronunciation of Tzeentch is correct...he is the lord of change after all.

Grimstonefire
26-02-2010, 18:35
If I can throw a couple more in

Hashut and Gotrek

Gotrek it annoyed me on the sample download of the storybook that he called him Got-rek whereas I would call him Go-trek

Hashut I've heard him called Hash-ut and Ha-shut.

Condottiere
26-02-2010, 18:42
I thought Gotrek was:

Goh - trek

Hashut would be what you believe sounds more Assyrian.