PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Space Wolves

Lupercus
26-02-2010, 17:12
Bonjour again, everyone. I've still yet to decide upon a 40K army to start myself off with, but I'm getting close. Just yesterday I picked up both the Space Wolves and Tyranids codex. Very good reads, the both of them. In particular I find myself really quite liking a lot of the Space Wolves background. I do have some questions though.

Firstly, are the Space Wolves an overly popular army in the current gaming setting? I really don't want to play the army that absolutely everyone else is playing, even though I'm quite literally a n00b. It's just not something I like doing. Even with the popularity of the new Skaven, I haven't found that they're overplayed, especially considering that only a dedicated Skaven player will have a sizable army of them fully painted to a good standard(I currently have 4000-5000 points of Skaven painted up, and totally love them..still growing). So, needless to say, I'm not really interested in playing the most overdone army out there. I'm aware that Space Marines are very, very popular, and that's just a fact of 40K life and something to be accepted...I just don't all of my opponents to roll their eyes whenever I unpack my army.

Secondly, are Space Wolves considered overpowered in any general way? I know that 40K seems rather well balanced, but are there any power issues overtly recognized with the Wolves?

Lastly, in your opinions, are the Space Wolves a rewarding and fun army to play and collect? I know this is a highly personal and individualized question, but I'd really like some of your opinions anyway. It's always good to hear what other players are really digging or not digging at any given time.

I look forward to seeing what you all have to say in regards to my questions here. In the end, if the answers aren't really what I'm looking for, I can always go for the Nids, as I think their latest codex is quite cool, and definitely worth a solid look.

Lotoc_Sabbath
26-02-2010, 17:47
Bonjour again, everyone. I've still yet to decide upon a 40K army to start myself off with, but I'm getting close. Just yesterday I picked up both the Space Wolves and Tyranids codex. Very good reads, the both of them. In particular I find myself really quite liking a lot of the Space Wolves background. I do have some questions though.

Cheers mate, I am one of the best Sw fans..they are just great even the background is stunning. Really as a hole I really advise you to get them.

Firstly, are the Space Wolves an overly popular army in the current gaming setting? I really don't want to play the army that absolutely everyone else is playing, even though I'm quite literally a n00b. It's just not something I like doing. Even with the popularity of the new Skaven, I haven't found that they're overplayed, especially considering that only a dedicated Skaven player will have a sizable army of them fully painted to a good standard(I currently have 4000-5000 points of Skaven painted up, and totally love them..still growing). So, needless to say, I'm not really interested in playing the most overdone army out there. I'm aware that Space Marines are very, very popular, and that's just a fact of 40K life and something to be accepted...I just don't all of my opponents to roll their eyes whenever I unpack my army.

No they are not. Out of 50 People in my club only 3 play the SW, and they are further more a medium-difficult army to play not a general purpose army. Trust me in the start it will seem a general purpose army, but you will, with time, realize it is not true. Anyway to answer your question: No they are not overplayed.

Secondly, are Space Wolves considered overpowered in any general way? I know that 40K seems rather well balanced, but are there any power issues overtly recognized with the Wolves?

Absolutely not! Really, one of the best codex in 30 years of 40k. You have every type of unit and it is just marvelous playing them. You really have no way of getting overpowered with the ever-loved Wolves.

Lastly, in your opinions, are the Space Wolves a rewarding and fun army to play and collect? I know this is a highly personal and individualized question, but I'd really like some of your opinions anyway. It's always good to hear what other players are really digging or not digging at any given time.

The most fun army to play IMHO. You will really enjoy games with the wolves especially if your list is BG based and if you play special characters like Ragnar or Lukas whom are really a laugh IMO.

I look forward to seeing what you all have to say in regards to my questions here. In the end, if the answers aren't really what I'm looking for, I can always go for the Nids, as I think their latest codex is quite cool, and definitely worth a solid look.

I'd personally go for the wolves anyway you decide.
Good luck, I post in an SW rate which I've done which is what I think of the wolves. Hope this helps.

SPACE WOLVES

Versatility: 5
5. The player is completely unrestricted when building a competitive list. Every unit has a place on the battlefield and every slot has a variety of units to offer that impact the army strategy in a positive way.

The army is just great, you have too many options and the special characters are just spectacular. Every single option may have its use and have just great general special rules. Very important too: they are absolutely balanced and have no way of getting overpowered.

Firepower: 4
also if a close combat based army they have good firing units (long fangs are just great, as for the traditional land raiders, vindicators and predators) and Grey hunters have very good options and their bolter fire is just excellent.

Close Combat: 5
5 = This army is nearly unmatched when built to exploit the close combat aspect of the game.
A close combat based armies which will never stop to have new combination which is just great. You can really do anything you want and it will always have a sense...amazing, just amazing.

Maneuverability: 3 1/2
Surely not the most maneuverable army, can't have a mono-bike army but can turn very irritating in mech or semi-mech as for the other it isn't the best.

Resiliency: 4
Have the Always-loved toughness 4 and have a great resiliency for the counter-attack special rule too, anyway they are not the best army in resisting to the enemy.

Average: 4.3 (very good)

Good Luck again mate,

JAck

wazatdingder
26-02-2010, 17:55
I think you are asking some good questions, but in the end it all depends on what you want to play. If you don't want to play what everyone else is playing, you should go look at the people you will be playing, not asking an international forum. Different clubs have different tendencies.

Nids and Wolves are 2 completely different armies that appeal to different kinds of players. Both are good armies, the biggest difference is in the fluff. Wolves are about individuality and strong personalities, Nids are kinda the opposite, mindless hoards of a collective. Players that relate well to one of these armies may not have the same feelings for the other.

Lupercus
26-02-2010, 19:01
Thanks so very much, Lotoc_Sabbath! That was pretty much exactly the type of answer I was hoping for! Also, I really appreciate the detailed assessment of the Space Wolves you've provided for me too...awesome, just awesome. I'm pretty sure you've sold me on the Sons of Russ, my friend, and I thank you for it.

Thanks to you too, wazatdingder, I totally agree with your thoughts as well. It's hard to really go off of anything on, as you put it, an international forum. I'll have to take a look at my local gaming club and see what the situation is. However, maybe it doesn't matter SO much, as long as it's not an epidemic situation. Thanks a bunch!

What you mentioned in regards to the background difference between the Nids and the Wolves really got me thinking as well, and I appreciate that. I had actually not even considered those two completely different states of being between them, at least in the way you mentioned it. One of the things that turned me off of Tyranids was their lack of personality and individualism, I suppose, so I guess there's the answer itself.

Awesome comments, guys, I truly appreciate the response. I'm happy to see some support for the Wolves thus far, and feel free to keep the comments coming! A big time thank you again for Lotoc_Sabbath for the great comment, I appreciate the effort, my friend, and trust me, you've done a great deal in helping me in my decision(which, happily, leans towards going out and starting a SW army tomorrow).

Zeitkraft
26-02-2010, 19:01
If you think Wolves are interesting then you should definitely give them a shot. They are fairly balanced imho with some powerful, but not OP, units.

Counter-charge is one of my favorite aspects of the army. There is nothing more satisfying than being able to rapid fire a squad and then have a good chuckle as your opponent charges headlong into a full squad of Grey Hunters w/ Wolf Guard that get 31 attacks. Said opponent was probably only expecting the 11 attacks that a normal Tactical Squad gets when charged.

The models are some of the most fun to paint since they are so intricately detailed and really stand out from other 'nilla armies. I recently used a box of Space Wolves and Chaos Hounds to make a unit of Thunder Wolf Cavalry and they turned out amazingly well with all of the wolf themes on the armor.

Also, even though SW have something like 10 "hero" units (that includes Arjac and Lukas), there is plenty of room to make a powerful character of your own out of a Wolf Lord and let him have his own Saga. I personally run a Wolf Lord on a Thunder Wolf as well as Ragnar. It really adds a lot of flavor to games when you try to fulfill the conditions of a Saga (and trust me, there are days when 10 kills with Ragnar is really a pain to get).

Just my 2c. Play what you like but you won't go wrong with 'Wolves.

Lupercus
26-02-2010, 19:05
Thanks a million, Zeitkraft! It's good to hear that I can go in pretty much any direction I want with the Wolves and not be totally let down...honestly, I think this is probably one of the defining aspects of a well-done army list. Thanks also for a little insight into what you yourself play with, it's always great to see a fellow gamer's army list. I dig the idea of converting some Thunder Wolf Cavalry myself, and we'll have to see what I can manage to come up with(I'm a bit of a modelling and converting fanatic, so I'm sure I'll manage to come up with something).

That's also something I love about the Space Wolves, in that they have some wonderfully detailed and characterful model kits, which also happen to be amazingly versatile.

Thanks again, Zeitkraft!

Lupercus
26-02-2010, 19:09
I'm actually planning on going for an army belonging to Sven Bloodhowl's Great Company. I love the painting potential, considering they're covered in tattoos and such, and also that they're a mainly close combat-oriented force(according to the background in the SW codex, anyway)....so, while we're talking about armies, if anyone has an idea of what could be included in a 1500 point, assault themed Space Wolf army, do tell! Of course, some anti-tank type firepower will be needed too, so a little balance couldn't hurt, but I'd like to have a fairly fluffy army list, in line with the Great Company theme I mentioned. I plan on painting them as such as well.

Wolflord Patrick
26-02-2010, 21:53
I'm an avid Space Wolf nut, so my opinion may be biased a bit...

However, it's hard not to love the Space Wolves background. In my opinion there are certanily more Space Wolf players now than there were a year or two ago. (Only a few of us were willing to play the Wolves in a 5th edition game with a 3rd edition codex.) That being said, play whatever army you like best and don't worry about having to be "Just another wolf player". I have a feeling that once the Blood Angels come out, you're going to see a lot of people playing them as well.

As for what should go in a 1500 point list, there are quite a few ways to go. Here are my thougths:
1. Ragnar (he's one of the best hth characters in the game)
2. Wolf Priest (Standard at 100 pts)
3. 13 Blood Claws with a Flamer, Power Fist
* Wolf Guard with Power Fist attached to the Blood Claws
4. Land Raider Crusader with Multa Melta, Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Ex Armor (stick Ragnar, the Wolf Priest, and the Blood Claws in there as one unit) -The priest giving the Perferred Enemy rule to Ragnar and the Blood Claws is an awesome sight to see...
5. 9 Grey Hunters with Power Weapon, Melta Gun, & Mark of the Wulfen
* Wolf Guard with Power Fist attached to the Grey Hunters
** Whole GH unit packed into a Rhino with Ex Armor.
6. 9 Grey Hunters with Power Weapon, Melta Gun, & Mark of the Wulfen
* Wolf Guard with Power Fist attached to the Grey Hunters
** Whole GH unit packed into a Rhino with Ex Armor.
7. Long Fangs (4 plus Pack Leader) 2 w/Missile Launchers, 2 w/Heavy Bolters.

Total comes out to 1499 and should be solid to use, but not over the top. I did not bring the Rune Priest with the "Jaws of the Wolf" or any Thunderwolf Cav units...

Jayden63
26-02-2010, 22:16
Space Wolves is the only marine army I ever considered collecting. With the new codex, I'm glad I did. Pretty much any sort of marine list I can imagine the SW codex will let me make.

Ever feel like running 60 terminators? SW can.
Ever feel like running a beast list? Thanks to Canis, Thunderwolves, and TWC. SW can.
Ever feel like running Power armor horde of 100+ marines that isn't soft? SW can.
Ever feel like running all biker army? SW can.
Ever feel like running gun line? Thanks to long fangs and razorback GH squads, SW can.
Love the idea of psychic powers and magic? SW can run 4 rune priests, thats 8 powers a turn.
Love armor? Mech SW is very viable and strong.

Thats the best part about the SW codex. It doesn't have just one or two strong/competitive lists. It has like 6. Sure some units might seem a little over powered when spammed, but pretty much any codex can do that. My own little 2000 point force is just the beginning. I can see this SW codex easily opening up to 6000 points of models and having tons of different lists to play.

Project2501
26-02-2010, 22:22
Collect whatever you want. If you get a different army only to be different, you're going to find yourself slacking off from building them, painting them, and probably even playing them. All the while you'll be drooling at the SW models other people have. Trying to be different just for the sake of being different doesn't last long.

WodenMHC
26-02-2010, 22:40
After twenty years in the GW hobby, I find myself coming back to my Space Wolves again and again. I've owned and played every army in 40k and Fantasy, and hands down the Wolves are my favorites in 40k. Part of the reason this style of wargamming is so appealing is that people are drawn to an army that suites not only their tactical tastes, but also their aesthetic tastes. I love the new Space Wolf sprues, and they mix exceptionally well with the old models. I think you'll have a great time with Space Wolves, and head over to http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219902 for several good ideas on how to use them effectively.

Wolflord Patrick
26-02-2010, 22:49
I can see this SW codex easily opening up to 6000 points of models and having tons of different lists to play.

True that... At some point I need to post up some pics. I have over 6000 points of painted Space Wolves and roughly another 2000 in the pre-heresy 13th Company color scheme.

Funny thing is that since the new codex is out I actually play my 13th Company army more. I use the Wulfen models as my Wolf Scouts and it works out perfect!

genestealer_baldric
26-02-2010, 22:58
I think you are asking some good questions, but in the end it all depends on what you want to play. If you don't want to play what everyone else is playing, you should go look at the people you will be playing, not asking an international forum. Different clubs have different tendencies.

Nids and Wolves are 2 completely different armies that appeal to different kinds of players. Both are good armies, the biggest difference is in the fluff. Wolves are about individuality and strong personalities, Nids are kinda the opposite, mindless hoards of a collective. Players that relate well to one of these armies may not have the same feelings for the other.

iam a long time nid player and a long time SW fan and i have played quite a few games with each army, They both have a very diffrent apporach to the same target but both can work very well.

The New Nid Codex despite my dislike for, Can be made into a very effective army and i have experinced good sucess with them and if you have no previous experince with them then they can work out great for you. .

The SW Book in my mind is better, and the fact the inital SW wave has decreased means that there are only a few player in my local envroment that still plays them. To me they dont play like a typical Marine army and with so Many good choices to select from they are a great all rounder army and will perform well in most situations

WolfGuardChris
27-02-2010, 05:37

Considering that Tyranids have been out since 2nd edition their are probably as many tyranid players as SW players. Also if you want to play an army not many people are playing then picking the two most resently released codex are probably not the best idea. Dont you think? Buy Necrons or something.

Also who gives a flip what your opponent thinks as long as you love the army you have chosen?

No. They are not overpowered.

IMO I find them very rewarding and fun to play. I feel they perfectly match my personality.

I hope that I've been helpful.

Narf
27-02-2010, 11:19
the best thing i can say about space wolves is the amount of work you can put into each model to make them individual.

This means each and every member of a unit can be converted, and you can go insane on characters.

This is so much more rewarding than normal marines, but also easier to accomplish than with any other army out there as you have 5+ space marines armies to steal bits and bobs from.

Archangel_Ruined
27-02-2010, 11:26
SW are extremely forgiving to play with, the fact that every model has above average stats, counter attack and good armour will forgive many 'questionable' tactics in the learning curve. You can't say that with the nids, if you get it wrong it's harder to come back from due to more specialised units and a greater reliance on synergy. SW are also easier to collect on the money and time front, nids have much higher model counts in most builds, so cash and painting time go up accordingly.

Lupercus
28-02-2010, 02:40
Thanks so much for all the opinions, thoughts, and comments in regards to this, everyone, you've all been insanely helpful! In fact, the response has been so great here that I've fully decided to go for it and start my own Space Wolves army, belonging to Sven Bloodhowl's Great Company.

As has been mentioned, the amount of work and detail that can be applied when modelling and painting each individual model is just awesome...I really love this about the Space Wolves, and I can guarantee that no model will be alike in my army. The scope for personalization and creativity is too good to pass up, and I've already got some ideas in mind. I'm really looking forward to this!

Also, another thing that's been mentioned is the sheer depth and myriad potential options that the SW codex offers...it doesn't really get any better than that from what I've seen. Once again, very exciting.

And of course we have the awesome background of the Wolves, which is hard to beat. They're just cool...brutal, space Viking, lupine cool. The character and feel of the army is just so appealing.

So yes, I'm now officially a Space Wolf player! I'm working on some army lists and things to buy first, and also planning out some of the conversions I'd like to do, etc. I'm really enjoying myself with the Wolves, and I can't wait to get to work actually putting them together. I'm going to start a thread in the painting forum to get some ideas on various methods of painting a grey I like for their armour(and some other things), and then I'll be getting to work. I'll DEFINITELY be making a painting log for Sven's Great Company, and I hope you all check it out when the time comes(hopefully within the next couple of weeks if all goes well!).

Thanks again for all the replies, everyone, I really appreciate it! I'm impressed with all the support and praise the Sons of Russ have gotten here, and it only makes me feel even better about my choice of army. This is going to be fun...