PDA

View Full Version : Most ridiculous FAQ?

Imperial Vampire
28-02-2010, 01:32
Hi everyone!

The title says all... Do you have some examples of FAQs that are quite erroneous???

My favorite:
Q. Can a Sorcerer on a Steed of Slaanesh cast magic missiles with 360 arc of sight, as the Steed itself has the Fast Cavalry rule?

A. Yes, that seems fine (and rather spectacular too!).

MY answer now: No you can't, it is clearly stated in the BRB that fast cavalry have 360 arc of sight ONLY in the shooting phase!!!

Other examples?

Enigmatik1
28-02-2010, 01:41
I just learned this from Toshiro in another thread, but apparently the Casket of Souls' Light of Death should actually test on a units base leadership instead of the leadership of a General if he's within 12" because the Light of Death isn't a leadership test. The FAQ says otherwise.

You learn something new everyday.

Gaargod
28-02-2010, 01:54
Go find the lizardmen FAQ. Now read the bits about Cupped Hands. Both parts.

There you go...

Agnar the Howler
28-02-2010, 02:52
The use of CHotOO after rolling on the table seems pretty un-ridiculous to be honest, using 45 points to potentially kill off a 100pt+ enemy character with almost no chance of stopping it seems stupid, so it's right that you should roll to see what result you got on the table before using the cupped hands (that and it makes the rule about 2 on the table in the rulebook come into play, which using it beforehand would not).

sulla
28-02-2010, 03:07
I still can't get past the stupidity of 'monsterous characters' in the rune of the true beast answer and the other one.

Seth the Dark
28-02-2010, 03:18
How about the "Celestial Shield" spell ruling where a mage in a unit cannot see his own unit.

Agnar the Howler
28-02-2010, 03:22
How about the "Celestial Shield" spell ruling where a mage in a unit cannot see his own unit.

"I swear they were here a second ago! If only I could turn my head out of this 90 degree arc!"

Sygerrik
28-02-2010, 05:36
Having just read the Lizardman FAQ, I'm in agreement that the CHotOO rulings are as devoid of common sense, reason and logic as anything GW has ever put out.

Other contenders include the Manbane + Rending Stars ruling that lets you explode chariots with poisoned shurikens, the "Brets vs. Brets" Blessing of the Lady ruling (involving hiding dice under your palm), the ruling on the Casket of Sorcery that lets you create a unit of Zombies that then immediately begin to crumble,

Devil Tree
28-02-2010, 06:45
The old Beasts of Chaos FAQ hands down. In 6th edition Beast Herds ranked up a minimum of 4 wide and could get a rank bonus of up to +2, which was fair enough. However when 7th edition rolled around GW decided units needed to be 5 wide to get a rank bonus. So you’d figure there would be some FAQ or errata saying Beast Herds (our mainstay unit) would either rank up 5 wide or get a rank bonus from being 4 wide?

Nope. Single monsters, lone characters, chariots, narrow flanks and the rear ranks of units with only couple of models in the back became the bane of an already weak bottom tier army.:wtf:

Oh, and to rub salt in the wound, Brettonians could still get a rank bonus with only 3 models, in addition to the other benefits of being in lance formation.

TheZombieSquig
28-02-2010, 09:02
The FAQ answer that says black knights suffer -1 movement to barding, despite the ethereal rule saying they ignore all snares and the Bretonnian Green Knight specifically ignoring the penalty with his ethereal steed. There seems to be no logic or weight to the decision taken.

Avian
28-02-2010, 09:05
The Wood Elf one about the Moonstone which let you teleport units in the opponent's turn, ready to charge in your and thus avoiding the entire downside of the item. Thankfully that got corrected a couple of weeks later.

The old "opposed re-rolls" ruling.

Shazarn
28-02-2010, 09:09
Q. Is the Staff of the Lost Sun considered tomake magical attacks?

A. It fires a blast of blinding magical light,which sounds pretty magical to us! And no, the jungle poisons rule doesn’t apply.
(Lizardmen July 09)
Made me lol and cry

nzdarkelf
28-02-2010, 09:15
Hi everyone!

The title says all... Do you have some examples of FAQs that are quite erroneous???

My favorite:
Q. Can a Sorcerer on a Steed of Slaanesh cast magic missiles with 360 arc of sight, as the Steed itself has the Fast Cavalry rule?

MY answer now: No you can't, it is clearly stated in the BRB that fast cavalry have 360 arc of sight ONLY in the shooting phase!!!

Other examples?

So what do you believe was blocking his view in the magic phase that is no longer in his view in the shooting phase? And while the brb doesn't talk about using magic it also doesn't say anything about "ONLY" having 360 arc in shooting phase either. A bit of creative writing mate.

What it does say is that characters who join fast cav units do not benefit from any fast cav shooting rules. The FAQ is in effect addressing the brb oversight of not ruling on how Fast Cav Sorcerers operate. Which is maybe because a Sorcerer on a Steed of Slaanesh is the only one of its type in the game. (Don't fry me on that last bit, I don't own all the Army Books. Is there any other Fast Cav sorcerers around?

Imperial Vampire
28-02-2010, 13:11
[QUOTE=nzdarkelf;4438127] So what do you believe was blocking his view in the magic phase that is no longer in his view in the shooting phase?
[QUOTE]

A mounted mage have only a 90 degree frontal arc of sight. So, he is supposed to only see in the front in the magic phase, and if he have shooting, then he will be able to target at 360 in the shooting phase.

Also, I'm sorry to have put that much emphasis on the "only", but the rules specifies that fast cavalry have 360 LoS in the shooting phase (without "only"). "In the shooting phase" does not means "in the magic phase also"; it is rather clear that fast cavalry are supposed to see 360 exclusively in the shooting phase!!! Anyway, the FAQ puts an exception in for the slaanesh mage...

Imperial Vampire
28-02-2010, 13:12
And also, as soon as a character joins a fast cavalry, it acts as a fast cavalry... Edit: The character then moves as a fast cav, but cannot shoot like one (ie do not nave 360 LoS for shooting, but can freely reform in the movement phase)

Tae
28-02-2010, 13:15
Have to agree on the CHotOO rulings.

Presumably the 8th Ed miscast table entry for 2 will add an appropriate asterisk. i.e. mage is removed etc cannot be saved by any save or magic item*

*Unless you play Lizardmen.

Uncle Bomber
28-02-2010, 13:45
FAQ. So Squats, when are they coming back.:angel:

WodenMHC
28-02-2010, 13:54
The Vampire Counts FAQ ruling that it is entirely permissible to have a Vampire with the Flying Power, yet mounted on a mundane horse (thus NOT making him a flying creature, and able to join regular units), and therefore able to take and use weapons for mounted heroes, aka Dreadlance.

Harwammer
28-02-2010, 14:10
The old Beasts of Chaos FAQ hands down. In 6th edition Beast Herds ranked up a minimum of 4 wide and could get a rank bonus of up to +2, which was fair enough. However when 7th edition rolled around GW decided units needed to be 5 wide to get a rank bonus. So you’d figure there would be some FAQ or errata saying Beast Herds (our mainstay unit) would either rank up 5 wide or get a rank bonus from being 4 wide?

Nope. Single monsters, lone characters, chariots, narrow flanks and the rear ranks of units with only couple of models in the back became the bane of an already weak bottom tier army.:wtf:

Oh, and to rub salt in the wound, Brettonians could still get a rank bonus with only 3 models, in addition to the other benefits of being in lance formation.

+1

Don't forget it also stopped rune of the true beast from working against monstrous characters, a ruling which probably influenced the DoC monstorous characters FAQ.

Razakel
28-02-2010, 14:26
After reading about how ridiculous the Cupped Hands ruling was, I went and checked it up, and I can't help but agree. It seems so contradictory. Like a plan made by Zapp Brannigan:

"Now, like all great plans, my strategy is so simple an idiot could have devised it. On my command all ships will line up and file directly into the alien death cannons, clogging them with wreckage."

Lazarus15
28-02-2010, 14:26
[/QUOTE]

A mounted mage have only a 90 degree frontal arc of sight. So, he is supposed to only see in the front in the magic phase, and if he have shooting, then he will be able to target at 360 in the shooting phase.

Also, I'm sorry to have put that much emphasis on the "only", but the rules specifies that fast cavalry have 360 LoS in the shooting phase (without "only"). "In the shooting phase" does not means "in the magic phase also"; it is rather clear that fast cavalry are supposed to see 360 exclusively in the shooting phase!!! Anyway, the FAQ puts an exception in for the slaanesh mage...[/QUOTE]

WOW. Or they intend for the only shooting part to be disregarded? "Magic--we can see only in front of us...10 seconds later....now we can see all around! SHOOT!" Terribly sorry but I would lose my cool and want to throttle the opposing player if they tried this crap. :mad:

Imperial Vampire
28-02-2010, 14:49
@ Lazarus: I never said that the rule is logical! I just said that without being RAW or rules lawyer, it is clear that fast cav only see 360 in the shooting phase!

Bac5665
28-02-2010, 15:00
The DoC FAQ as a whole is incredibly bad. The two (I can't pick just one) worst answers are:

That monstrous characters are not monsters, despite the DoC armybook going out of its way to say otherwise, and,

That Icons are magic items, except for the caveats on page 92, which says that Gifts are not magic items, and says nothing about icons. That sure cleared that up!

Agnar the Howler
28-02-2010, 16:23
Have to agree on the CHotOO rulings.

Presumably the 8th Ed miscast table entry for 2 will add an appropriate asterisk. i.e. mage is removed etc cannot be saved by any save or magic item*

*Unless you play Lizardmen.

I hope it does, because i've lost my Slaan in the opening turns of every game i've played him in due to a miscast and a 2 on the miscast table, which cupped hands was useless against due to no items being allowed to stop it, both games I would've won had he not died (by at least a solid victory both times).

My Slaan has the worst miscast history of any model i've seen in a game of fantasy, and he's only ever played 2 games.

BIG HUGE EDIT: When did the transferring a '2' get added to the FAQ? I've read it top to bottom upwards of 20 times and only noticed it now, man I would've won those games so bloody hard!

neXus6
28-02-2010, 17:34

No what really rubbed salt in the wound was instead of just fixing it they decided to remove the rule entirely, rank all the beasts up, and pretty much end the whole Wood Elf vs Beastmen thing...oh but it's okay the character of the army got shredded cause we've got S7 attack increasing Minotaurs...bit of a shame I only had Ogres in my Beast army really.
:rolleyes:

GodlessM
28-02-2010, 17:53
Hi everyone!

My favorite:

Other examples?

Don't quote me on this as I don't have my BRB right now, but I believe it says "when shooting" not "in the shooting phase", so it works also for magic missiles.

enygma7
28-02-2010, 18:11
As mentioned, the entire old beastmen FAQ was an abomination. A bit strong? Well, it said beastmen still ranked up 4 wide even though you needed 5 for a rank bonus, presumably on the grounds that if the rule works and is clear it shouldn't be changed, never mind if it hosed the army.

But they then went on to say...
...that rune of the true beast didn't affect monsterous characters (this wasn't unclear. It does. It was also pretty much the only way beasts could deal with a bloodthirster).
...that chariots could take marks other than undivided (again, not unclear, they couldn't)
...that the tzeentch spell that creates horrors could instead create "bestigors of tzeentch" (a complete re-write of the spells effects)

We immediately house ruled that the FAQ was to be ignored completely.

bludsturm
28-02-2010, 18:21
Don't quote me on this as I don't have my BRB right now, but I believe it says "when shooting" not "in the shooting phase", so it works also for magic missiles.

No - it definitely says "In the shooting phase."

Tae
28-02-2010, 18:32
BIG HUGE EDIT: When did the transferring a '2' get added to the FAQ? I've read it top to bottom upwards of 20 times and only noticed it now, man I would've won those games so bloody hard!

It was in there since the first write up, since it was (along with the order of dice rolling - transfering a 7+ result to an Ogre Butcher anyone? :wtf: ) the two main issues picked out of the FAQ.

nzdarkelf
28-02-2010, 21:41
@ Lazarus: I never said that the rule is logical! I just said that without being RAW or rules lawyer, it is clear that fast cav only see 360 in the shooting phase!

I don't doubt your interpretation of the BRB, but I think its pretty clear that Sorcerers with Fast Cav status (which is what he becomes upon mounting his Steed of Slaanesh) wasn't taken in to account. And of course this is what the FAQ was addressing.

Sparowl
28-02-2010, 21:44
Daemons of Chaos : "They may muster whether they wilt."

2nd core rulebook FAQ "Greater Daemons aren't monster, despite the army book clearly saying they are monsters." Obviously we all just read "they are monsters" incorrectly.

The Vampire Counts FAQ ruling that it is entirely permissible to have a Vampire with the Flying Power, yet mounted on a mundane horse (thus NOT making him a flying creature, and able to join regular units)

I've always argued (and will continue to do so until the FAQ clearly says it) that he cannot join units if he flys and is mounted.

hill9969
28-02-2010, 23:03
For the whole 360 fast cav rule, the key to that rule is not in fast cav or shooting but in the magic section about magic missiles. This section states magic missiles targets are viable if the target would be viable according to the rules for shooting. (my own words but the meaning seems clear) The rules for shooting would allow fast cav 360 sight so for casting magic missiles a mage that also has the fast cav rule has 360 LOS. To be clear this does not happen with other spells.

servius
28-02-2010, 23:16
Intent & Word of the Rules: Statement in Fast Cavalry. "In the Shooting Phase, ....." The first part of the line is rather straight, clear, forward and to the point that "In the Shooting Phase" those rules apply. The Magic Phase happens before the Shooting Phase. So that said, you wouldn't have 360 LOS with any fast Cav mage OTHER than the Slaanesh Sorcerer. This due to the fact that some tard who didnt care to read the rules in the first place, sent in a ridiculous question in effect wasting the time of the FAQ writers. Unfortunately, it caught the eye of a writer who was probably tired at the end of his shift who also didnt care to look it up and simply assumed the rule would apply.

R-Love
01-03-2010, 01:16
My favourite is still the 6th edition lizardmen FAQ

Q: Can a Skink Chief mounted on a Stegadon scout?

I can just imagine something like this (http://images.clipartof.com/small/14241-Big-Green-Dinosaur-Hugging-And-Hiding-Behind-A-Tree-In-Fear-Clipart-Illustration.jpg) :D

Seriously, who the hell would think you could hide a stegadon? :p

EDIT: The answer was no, for anyone wondering. GW isn't stupid enough to make that call (yet)

Gork or Possibly Mork
01-03-2010, 01:21
Go find the lizardmen FAQ. Now read the bits about Cupped Hands. Both parts.

There you go...

Yeah. I can't remember if it was that one or not but it went something like this.

"Even we don't know, your and your oppoenent will have to dice off for it"

:rolleyes:

WusteGeist
01-03-2010, 01:29
The main rule book errata saying that Greater Demons are not affected by effects that effect monstrous creatures. That was just wrong on so many levels, what you cant beast cowers a blood thrister?

Dark elf errata that states why yes if you so want you can get a turn 1 charge with your assassin and shade friends.

Bodysnatcher
01-03-2010, 06:47
Why do people think the ruling on GDs and tyrants etc. not being monsters for spells etc. is ridiculous? The anti monster spells are, fluffwise, made to work against things that think like animals. A tyrant/shaggoth is a fully sentient being in a stonking great shell. A Greater Daemon is so inhuman that the trinkets meant to make it cower do nothing.
As for beast cowers on a Bloodthirster... Khorne would disintegrate him for his patheticness.

Kamenwati
01-03-2010, 08:16
Because such spells and counters were some of the more viable ways of dealing with such foes for some armies. I can somewhat understand that pain as my best counter for most of the big flying monsters out there is trying to accurately drop some flaming skulls on their head, pray it doesn't scatter and that the dice gods are kind enough to let me kill it outright or else that catapult is doomed.

Unless it's a 7 wound dragon whose immune to having magical screaming, exploding skulls dropped on its head because it's RIDER is wearing anti fire armor.:wtf: So that's mine actually. That High Elf Dragon Armor protects the flipping dragon from cannonballs and skulls being dropped on it that happen to also be on fire. If it stopped purely fire based attacks (Lore of Fire, Flame Cannon, etc.) I could understand that and call it a day.

Agnar the Howler
01-03-2010, 08:46
Daemons of Chaos : "They may muster whether they wilt."

2nd core rulebook FAQ "Greater Daemons aren't monster, despite the army book clearly saying they are monsters." Obviously we all just read "they are monsters" incorrectly.

I've always argued (and will continue to do so until the FAQ clearly says it) that he cannot join units if he flys and is mounted.

Although I don't contain any artifacts from that era, I like how they made it an FAQ thing instead of an official Erreta. "It says they're monsters but they're not monsters, either way we can't be bothered making a correction to the rule so yeah, whatever ¬.¬"

Dai-Mongar
01-03-2010, 09:13
I thought it might be prudent to point out this passage from the GW Errata and FAQ page (some sections bolded by me for emphasis):

The FAQs on the other hand are very much 'soft' material. They deal with more of a grey area, where often there is no right and wrong answer - in a way, they are our own 'Studio House Rules'. They are, of course, useful when you play a pick-up game against someone you don't know, or at tournaments (i.e. when you don't have a set of common 'house rules' with the other player). However, if you disagree with some answers and prefer to change them in your games and make your own house rules with your friends, that's fine. In fact we encourage you to shape the game around your needs and your taste. We firmly believe that wargaming is about two (or more!) people creating a gaming experience they are both going to enjoy. In other words, you might prefer to skip the FAQs altogether and instead always apply the good old 'roll a dice' rule whenever you meet a problematic situation.

Condottiere
01-03-2010, 10:40
You need an extraordinary degree of trust to play Warhammer house rules; especially with a diverse group of players playing a mixture of purposely differentiated army lists.

Ixquic
01-03-2010, 12:02
A few of my favorites:

How do High Elf ASF with great weapons work against ASF with normal weapons? Answer, great weapons go last. Correct answer as clearly written in the rule book is you go to initiative in such a situation. That one got fixed after a few months I guess after some 10 year old that can read pointed it out to his dad.

Can I first turn charge with an assassin? "Yes since it's sneaky!" While strictly by the rules this is correct, obvious the writer did not intend this to happen. Then the same faq goes AGAINST rules as written so that the already broken and undercosted inverse ward save doesn't fail on a 1 like all other wards. Seriously what the hell?

Lets faq war shrines so that you can just keep rolling on Eye of the Gods until you get a 3+ ward save, then make it so even if you kill the shrine the effect doesn't go away. There's no way that will lead to abuse!

The "Greater Demons are characters so something that says it affects monsters doesn't work on them" ruling that's been mentioned is pretty hilarious when you look in the rule book for monster rules and there's a picture of a Slann there right in the example. The problem is there's no monster identifier other than base size so who knows what's a monster and what isn't.

You need an extraordinary degree of trust to play Warhammer house rules; especially with a diverse group of players playing a mixture of purposely differentiated army lists.

Games Workshop has made it clear their idea of a good game is rolling dice while *********** around and randomly pushing models across the table so any house rules they use are not exactly going to well thought out well. The problem is regardless of how they try to say that they aren't official, they basically are when every tournament uses them for rules disputes.

Imperial Vampire
01-03-2010, 12:43
Quote from Servius:
Intent & Word of the Rules: Statement in Fast Cavalry. "In the Shooting Phase, ....." The first part of the line is rather straight, clear, forward and to the point that "In the Shooting Phase" those rules apply. The Magic Phase happens before the Shooting Phase. So that said, you wouldn't have 360 LOS with any fast Cav mage OTHER than the Slaanesh Sorcerer. This due to the fact that some tard who didnt care to read the rules in the first place, sent in a ridiculous question in effect wasting the time of the FAQ writers. Unfortunately, it caught the eye of a writer who was probably tired at the end of his shift who also didnt care to look it up and simply assumed the rule would apply.

Exactly what I meant!