PDA

View Full Version : dabbling into Confrontation...

Rabid Bunny 666
10-02-2006, 12:56
so i'm a rookie to it, i want to go for Orks, mainly tohse 'uge Jaguar ones, but i don't want to get either an illegal force or just a plain shat one, so if anyone has any tips, i'd be more than grateful

erion
10-02-2006, 13:32
I don't know much about orks, but if You're plannig to get involved I highly recommend buying yourself the rulebook before you make any model purchases.

The rules for force comp, while not overly complex, can be daunting if you don't know what models fall into which category.

Rabid Bunny 666
10-02-2006, 14:11
depends wether or not i can get the book and some models to do, maybe the starter box

Rabid Bunny 666
12-02-2006, 16:38
gah, it doesn't matter, went to the store in High Wycombe to find a "closed" sign on the door and every shelf bare....

erion
13-02-2006, 13:10
Wow. That stinks.

Rabid Bunny 666
14-02-2006, 15:58
it does indeed, and with my mum paranoid about buying stuff on the internet.

erion
15-02-2006, 12:16
I bought Most of my Confrontation stuff over the internet. For a long time the local shops couldn't get it from their distributors, so I got mine from the Warstore. Now that Alliance Games is carrying it, I get my stuff through my FLGS, but two or three years ago it was a different story.

If anything, this chat with you has gotten me painting my long-stagnant Lions And Acheron forces. I finished up the Male Bard last night, and a blister's worth of Zombies were finished over the weekend.

Rabid Bunny 666
15-02-2006, 21:16
coolio, its good to know that i have a random effect :)

generulpoleaxe
16-02-2006, 11:22
if your in the uk check out arcane miniatures.

http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/

found them after space munkie sold nu gaming and they have given just as good a service.

Persephone
16-02-2006, 16:29
Get the catalog before anything else, so you can look at the entire range of models. The starter set is a great deal because it comes with expensive models, and the rulebook for a great price.

There isn't much to force composition unless you're playing tourney rules. You can basically take what you want. Check out the English Confrontation forums, too at http://en-forum.confrontation.fr/index.php Good luck!

Rabid Bunny 666
18-02-2006, 11:14
well, i've convinced my mum to order some stuffs of arcameminiatures, so here goes

Starter set: £32.40
wolfen hunters (2): £9.90
gurdian of The runes: £9.00
=£51.30

Rabid Bunny 666
19-02-2006, 19:25
ordered the models, but so far, no e-mail, i'm guessing they get sundays off ;)

erion
21-02-2006, 13:45
Lots of places won't do anything with orders on the weekends. In the US, if they can't get the post to pick it up at the end of the day, it won't be packed to ship.

Rabid Bunny 666
21-02-2006, 16:43
thats OK, got my form yesterday and the monies went by first class post t 8 this morning :D

and i joined the english forum, and for next friday, i'm ordering the 5 man wolfen pack from www.wargamerworkshop.com because arcane miniatures doesn't have them stocked

generulpoleaxe
21-02-2006, 18:24
just remember to pin anything like a wolfen.

and the quickest way to paint wolfen is using washes for shading followed by highlights.

erion
21-02-2006, 18:32
In that case, welcome to the sickness.

I seriously put together an order close to $200 US last week just so I'd have figures for all the cards they've published for Hybrid and Nemesis.

I have, thus far, convinced myself not to send that order to the FLGS.

Rabid Bunny 666
21-02-2006, 20:34
just remember to pin anything like a wolfen.

and the quickest way to paint wolfen is using washes for shading followed by highlights.

gah, i'm not pinning, i'm using Lockite glue.

It. doesn't. Break. :D

i've tried to break a bit off a model glued with this pot and it took about 40 seconds to snap it off, ruddy good stuffs

edit: i was thinking of doing the skin like that, maybe highlight and wash then highlight

generulpoleaxe
22-02-2006, 19:42
if you use your washes on the base coat first.
think of these stages as reverse highlighting. this is called shading.
(i do not meen to insult you with this)

then proceed to highlight.
this is a much faster way of painting and it is how the rackham painters do there wolfen.

hope this helps

Rabid Bunny 666
28-02-2006, 10:33
hopefully my order will arrive today, shiny wolfen to distract me from work

edit: nope, they ain't here :(

edit: not here today either :(

edit: not here yesterday, but hopefully they'll be here today, false hope, its false, but its still hope

edit: a half-hurrah!

got the hunters and the Rune Guardian, but nothing else yet

edit: and the other half!

BOOYAH

*dances a merry jig*

Luke
04-03-2006, 14:10
hmmm, ive been looking into confrontation myself (those drune raider guys look awesome!)

can all of the models be used for all of the games? from what i can gather, confrontation and ragnarok are seperate.

Rabid Bunny 666
04-03-2006, 15:58
i think so, but i haven't played yet :rolleyes: :wtf:

A neutral shade of black.
04-03-2006, 16:19
Yes, they can.

For some stupid reason, Rackham insists on keeping the same stats in both games (would be like playing WFB with Warmaster stats :rolleyes:). All Rackham models can be played in both games, though of course some cost too much in points to be fielded in a standard 400AP list.

laucian_meliamne
05-03-2006, 06:37
I'm glad I'm not the only Confrontation newb on these boards. I just bought my first blister pack today. Being a pointy-eared fanatic I had to go with Cynwall. Gorgeous models those.

I haven't bought the rulebook yet, so the answer to this question is likely in there, but the pack I bought today comes with three models, but only one card. Do you require a 1:1 ratio of cards to models to have a legal force? Or can a single card represent a small band of henchmen on the field?

05-03-2006, 10:36
No. By the book, a single card can represent one to three models, irrespective of points value or base size. Tournament rules (written by the GDR, the Guilde du Dragon Rouge, Rackham's official tournament arm) are a bit different.

What did you buy? I'd be careful if you're on a tight leash money-wise, as the Cynwäll are the weakest army (though they have the best models), and not everything is worth it (though most blisters can be used).

By the way, you'll also need a character in order to field a legal force. So far, the only really playable character is Galhyann, just FYI.

laucian_meliamne
05-03-2006, 18:38
I use Elves in pretty much every fantasy wargame I play, so I'm not too bothered by having lots of frail little guys running around. I'm used to having to work around that particular disadvantage.

As for what I bought, I got a pack of Cynwall Asadar. I figured they had some vague appearance of a basic infantryman, and the models were just too nice to pass up. No idea how good they are gameplay-wise though.

Rabid Bunny 666
05-03-2006, 18:59
started painting today, my Guardian of the runes has blonde fur (testing it out) and i have tested out using a brown base an mixing up to greym, also trying out a red base highlighting up to human flesh and a brown one, with one spare to paint up

05-03-2006, 19:05
As for what I bought, I got a pack of Cynwall Asadar. I figured they had some vague appearance of a basic infantryman, and the models were just too nice to pass up. No idea how good they are gameplay-wise though.

Actually, they're - fluffwise - the leetest elf troops for the moment. Gamewise, they now suck, because the two skills they pay the most for - Sequence and Feint - have become mostly useless (especially together) in C3. The current only good buy for the Cynwäll are the kestrels.

Anyway, it's not so much frailty as weak stats, low numbers and useless skills that you suffer from by picking Cynwäll. Hopefully, the khidarÿm's release in a couple of month might fix that, but I don't have too much hope.

Rabid Bunny 666
05-03-2006, 19:19
Anyway, it's not so much frailty as weak stats, low numbers and useless skills that you suffer from by picking Cynwäll. Hopefully, the khidarÿm's release in a couple of month might fix that, but I don't have too much hope.

and that '****** huge dragon

05-03-2006, 22:14
and that '****** huge dragon

And since the cheapest Cynwäll character is Meneran at 60AP, that's 235AP blown on two models, and the cheapest model being rather worthless and 17AP. :rolleyes:

Rabid Bunny 666
06-03-2006, 07:45
no offence, but that doesn't mean a thing to me ;) :D

Rabid Bunny 666
06-03-2006, 12:53
well, i'm going to go for elves now, laucian_meliamne, goddamn it, never realised how nice the models are, i'll just use the Wolfen for showcase pieces

06-03-2006, 12:59
no offence, but that doesn't mean a thing to me ;) :D

Heh. Alright, you win.

Games of Confrontation are played at 400 AP with less than half in characters, but one character model minimum. The rest is free (i.e. no regular/veteran/etc. restrictions) unless you use a specific tournament ruleset. The Cynwäll usually end up with twelve models if playing a purist elf list (no small light elementals), and that's with only eighty points spent in characters (so 320 on troops as opposed to 165).

Anyway, wolfen are a much better army. The Cynwäll aren't doing anything for a few months. Get into the game using wolfen, buy two blisters of selsÿm to paint (only good Cynwäll troops currently) and wait for a few more months for the Cynwäll to get decent releases.

Rabid Bunny 666
06-03-2006, 13:49
cool, i'm currently giving my wolfen a Dettol bath before reconsidering their paint scheme