PDA

View Full Version : choosing an army

artekfrost
28-02-2010, 22:36
I'm new to warhammer 40K and im trying to decide which army i want to ply i currently have no models and a limited income

my to favorites are chaos space marines and tyranids and maybe eldar but I'm having trouble deciding which to go with

Lord Asgul
01-03-2010, 00:26
CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be evil and destroy pointless objectives for no reason just because you can! You can do anything you want as a chaos player...

wazatdingder
01-03-2010, 00:34
Of your choices, chaos is the best for limited income.

Crimifa
01-03-2010, 00:37
Depends what you like...

both asethetically and game mechanic-wise. For example, no point going tyranids if you like to have tanks driving around.

limited income is a bit of a thing, tyranids can be a bit expensive to a new player (you either need to buy and paint alot of bugs or buy expensive big monsters, or a mixture of the two)

chaos would be a good army for a newer player, they are like space marines and can be forgiving to someone learning. I always suggest chaos whenever someone says they don't want to use the all-to-common space marines but want to start a powerful army (doesn't work all the time though, sometimes peeps just don't want marines of any kind).

ultimately it should boil down to the army you WANT to use. a ravening alien horde of bugs and monsters? a bunch of depraved super-soldiers bent on doing various evil things (i don't know what chaos wants to do anymore...) or an ancient race of space elves?

all are good, personally i am leaning to eldar/tyranids myself recently... monsterous creatures do it for me, so nidzilla or wraithlord/guard armies

Charistoph
01-03-2010, 00:45
Depends what you like...

both asethetically and game mechanic-wise. For example, no point going tyranids if you like to have tanks driving around.

limited income is a bit of a thing, tyranids can be a bit expensive to a new player (you either need to buy and paint alot of bugs or buy expensive big monsters, or a mixture of the two)

chaos would be a good army for a newer player, they are like space marines and can be forgiving to someone learning. I always suggest chaos whenever someone says they don't want to use the all-to-common space marines but want to start a powerful army (doesn't work all the time though, sometimes peeps just don't want marines of any kind).

ultimately it should boil down to the army you WANT to use. a ravening alien horde of bugs and monsters? a bunch of depraved super-soldiers bent on doing various evil things (i don't know what chaos wants to do anymore...) or an ancient race of space elves?

all are good, personally i am leaning to eldar/tyranids myself recently... monsterous creatures do it for me, so nidzilla or wraithlord/guard armies

This is probably the best recommendations. One good point about saving pocket money. A lot of Tyrranid players have disliked the new codex, or have built their army around an army design that is no longer valid. This means that they often get sold. Check out your locally available website to see if there are any deals.

Aside from that, Chaos can be cheaper as you can take plain Marines (which are VERY available, even in the starter kit) then make them E-vil. If you do them right, you can even use them with the other Marine Codex out there, getting several armies for the price of one.

artekfrost
01-03-2010, 12:35
ok thanks for all the helpful info

Petay1985
01-03-2010, 14:35
For me it would certainly be chaos, infinite options and themes, lots of room for expansion and development with out repeatition and great fluff.

Starchild
01-03-2010, 16:16
Eldar would be a good choice if you want a lot of variation in your painting and gaming. Each Warrior Aspect can have a distinctive paint scheme, in contrast to the Guardians and vehicles which share the same colours. Another plus is the amount of detail on the Eldar models; you can make them as intricate as you want, painting every gem, device, holster, sensor spike, etc.

On the other hand, if you like to paint in a few particular colours, or if detail painting isn't your thing, the other armies you mentioned would be good choices.

Cost-wise, Eldar are a long-term investment because eventually you'll want at least one of every unit to maximize your flexibility. On the other hand, the downside to lower-cost, more predicable armies like Chaos Space Marines is that you might be craving something different after a few years of playing them.

bigcheese76
01-03-2010, 17:50
Id say Nids. They have just had a new book and with it some truly awesome models. They are completely up to date with the new rules and a very competative army.

Freakiq
01-03-2010, 18:03
Write up a list of pro and cons for each army.

The one with the most pro's and the least con's is the one you should play.

VonManstein
01-03-2010, 18:07
Chaos: you dont need many models, as there arent many truly competative choices, nor a lot of different builds you want to try out. Also you can convert many stuff easily with some greenstuff. (Obliterators out of Termies, Plagues out of normal CSM)

If you have more money to spend in a year or so, you can always take a second army.

Worsle
01-03-2010, 18:16
Depends what style you want but the most interesting and varied armies you can use are those of the 5th edition. This would be space marines, imperial guard, space wolves and tyranids with blood angels joining those ranks soon. While the quality of the BA book is unknown the record 5th edition books is very good (despite what some people think of nids). The range of competitive armies you can make from the SM book compared to the CSM book is staggering.

As a new player having a book that will last longer and has a much wider range of viable builds and units is for the best. Each of these 4 armies has a different feel to them and look even marines and wolves have a different feel to them (marines being a mechanised army while wolves does favour foot and cavalry). Witch one you go for between those can come down to personal taste but don't feel bound by the look the codex has. As long as you model everything to an understandable degree you could make a very interesting chaos army out of space wolves for instance (with juggernauts and chaos knight's steeds being my favourite models for thunderwolves anyway).

CULCHAIN
01-03-2010, 18:16
Chaos has remained pretty durable throughout the editions and you get alot more bang for your buck.