PDA

View Full Version : 2250 points "melee friendly" O&G's

bravey
01-03-2010, 16:04
Hey all,

Me an Chaos puppy are going to be having a 2250 point melee only game. With that in mind, here is my army list:

Grimgor=375 points

Blorc BB 1=145
shield,light armor
Boar
Battle brew
Akrit axe

Blorc BB 2=129
Heavy armor
amulet of protectyness
Best basha

Level 2 orc shaman=150(chaos puppie is not taking a chaos sorcerer)
Power stones x2

2 units of 25 orc boyz with sheilds/musician=155 each

2 units of 19 savage orcs with 2 choppas=190 each

1 unit of 11 Black Orcs with sheilds, banner of butchery=175 (Grimgor goes here)

3 units of 5 spider riders=65 points each

2 units of 20 Night goblins with 3 fanatics each=135 each

5 squig hoppers=75

Total points=2243

I will use the blorcs and grimgor as a stompy unit, and the savage orcs will go after about anything, since I have had really good expirences with them before. I will keep them within 12" of grimgor, so there shouldn't be any fleeing. However, I might be swapping one unit of savages for one unit of unit of 19 big 'uns with shields. Fanatics will be there just to cause havoc, and spider riders will pick on the flanks, while regular boyz will stay as close to grimgor as possible. Any C&C more than welcomed!

Gaargod
01-03-2010, 18:35
Hmm... Melee only versus WoC, with orcs?

Suicidal much?
WoC rock the close combat game. Doggies release fanatics, after which his knights/chaos warriors run over you without trying.

To be honest, i don't even know how i'd do that sort of game. Grimgor is a good start, although his unit is way too small. But a chaos lord on dragon will literally eat almost anything you have without trying. Any unit led by a character will tear through anything you have.

Um... if i had to, i'd do large powerful combat units, and redirect his charges with lots of wolf riders, and hope to god animosity didn't screw me over. Seriously though, even if you manage to charge a unit of knights, it's still probably going to win combat.

Also, how are you taking a shaman if only melee? Hoping to get one of the enhancement spells is a risky use of points.

bravey
02-03-2010, 14:58
Hmm... Melee only versus WoC, with orcs?

Suicidal much?
WoC rock the close combat game. Doggies release fanatics, after which his knights/chaos warriors run over you without trying.

To be honest, i don't even know how i'd do that sort of game. Grimgor is a good start, although his unit is way too small. But a chaos lord on dragon will literally eat almost anything you have without trying. Any unit led by a character will tear through anything you have.

Um... if i had to, i'd do large powerful combat units, and redirect his charges with lots of wolf riders, and hope to god animosity didn't screw me over. Seriously though, even if you manage to charge a unit of knights, it's still probably going to win combat.

Also, how are you taking a shaman if only melee? Hoping to get one of the enhancement spells is a risky use of points.

Chaos Puppie doesn't own a dragon. He uses a lord of juggernaut, and he only has one other hero, so that give me an advantage. Also, he said I could take a shaman and use whatever spells I want just to give me an edge since I play only melee orcs. I think my spider riders will get in the way of chaos hounds. I have only played WHF for 2 years now, and have lost every single game I have played, so I am more than happy to settle for a close defeat.

What should I use the squig hoppers for? Suicide charges against his knights?

Jind_Singh
02-03-2010, 16:50
Black Orc warboss, boar, heavy armor, enchanted shield, akrit axe, boss at, Iron Gnashas – 1+ save, 5+ ward, reroll misses with killing blow!
Black Orc BSB, heavy armor, boar chariot
Black Orc Big Boss – arm him up any way you want
Orc Shaman, Level 2, Staff of badum, warpaint (+1 to cast so most spells now go off on 5+, and if he does get into combat he’ll get another power die)

25 orcs, full command
25 orcs, full command
20 Black Orcs, full command, butchery bannor
12 savage orcs
12 savage orcs
12 savage orcs

And then boar chariots for all my specials, and trolls for my rares!

Savage orcs are great, but since he has high armor their attacks will just bounce of him, and his counter-attacks will decimate them - they are liability!
However, used as a flanking unit - now thats solid as there is no parry bonus to their defence, just a 4+ save if you charge them!

More chariots will mean he'll be scared to advance as no body likes to get to close to the impact hit machines of doom! That way you'll be able to dictate the charges a bit. If I did have to take some, I'd just use units of 20 NG archers with 1-2 fanatics, but no more than that.

Thats how I'd take on the hordes of Chaos!

Jind_Singh
02-03-2010, 16:52
squig hoppers - always best used on the flanks, hit units from the side, they are especially good if they flank chaos knights as you get 8 attacks, hitting on 4s (avg 4 hits), wounding on 3s, so 3 wounds, and he'll fail one - thats if law of averages work out! They cant attack back, you have kill, flank, so +2, they have +1 for outnumber, they lose by 1!!! Huzzah!

bravey
02-03-2010, 19:08
Black Orc warboss, boar, heavy armor, enchanted shield, akrit axe, boss at, Iron Gnashas – 1+ save, 5+ ward, reroll misses with killing blow!
Black Orc BSB, heavy armor, boar chariot
Black Orc Big Boss – arm him up any way you want
Orc Shaman, Level 2, Staff of badum, warpaint (+1 to cast so most spells now go off on 5+, and if he does get into combat he’ll get another power die)

25 orcs, full command
25 orcs, full command
20 Black Orcs, full command, butchery bannor
12 savage orcs
12 savage orcs
12 savage orcs

And then boar chariots for all my specials, and trolls for my rares!

Savage orcs are great, but since he has high armor their attacks will just bounce of him, and his counter-attacks will decimate them - they are liability!
However, used as a flanking unit - now thats solid as there is no parry bonus to their defence, just a 4+ save if you charge them!

More chariots will mean he'll be scared to advance as no body likes to get to close to the impact hit machines of doom! That way you'll be able to dictate the charges a bit. If I did have to take some, I'd just use units of 20 NG archers with 1-2 fanatics, but no more than that.

Thats how I'd take on the hordes of Chaos!

Hmmm...I like it! I will probably use my list as is, since I used grimgor once an had nothing but good times with him. My black orcs will definitely have grimgor in the unit, so psychology is no problem there! but I am really limited by my collection as is. Still, keep piling on the suggestions and comments!

warlord hack'a
03-03-2010, 12:30
I could give all kinds of advise, but since your list is rather solid for the game you are facing and since you mention you have limited models I say just try it out as it is, keep track hwo you expected things to perform and how they actually performed and learn from that.

Personally I would definitely include a lord on wyvern with screaming sword or ulags axe versus chaos, so you can keep his knights at bay and try to flank charge them.

ONe thing I would change: swap your orc shaman for a night gobbo shaman, give him the mad cap mushrooms, put him in a NG unit with 3 fanatcis and place this unit behind a unit of svg orcs, so that the 8" release distance is 2 inch in front of your svg orc unit.

Now wait for his first knight unit to charge the svg orcs and have fun!

bravey
03-03-2010, 16:20
I have never understood the purpose of putting NG's loaded up with fanatics behind a unit of savage orcs. It seems self defeating, since you would lose a ton of savages...

warlord hack'a
04-03-2010, 15:02
not with the mad cap mushrooms: on the turn the fanatics are released you can reroll the 'number of hits' dice. Plus by putting them behind a unit of savages you effectively make sure you hit the enemy and greatly increase the chance of them landing on top of a fanatic..

Normal situation: 3 fanatics are released when the enemy is at 8 inch. On average one will pass throught he enemy doing d6 hits, one will fall short and the third one will most likely also fall short. When faced by frenzied chaos knights of khorne the knights will continue their charge if they survive this one fanatic (they will) and pass throught he other two, for in total 3d6 hits, if a character with mad cap mushrooms is in the unit then these 3d6 are rerolleable. When faced with no frenzied enemy they will most likely stop their move (after which the fanatics become a liability to both you and the opponent, a shame since you paid the points for them), but if they charge they have to finish and also will suffer 3d6 hits, unless they are ranked up and thus have a big chance of landing on top of fanatics..

Now imagine the fanatics are 2 inch behind the savage orcs unit which is 4 models (=inch) deep:

enemy comes to 8" of the fanatics (2" in front of the savage orcs), fanatics are released. A roll of 2 till 7 inches now dumps the fanatics right in front of the savages (since the fanatics will bounce through and end up 1 inch outside of the unit), where the charging enemy is sure to land on them. a roll of 8 or higher still lets you hit the enemy right away. So instead of doing only 3d6, you will most likely do 5d6 hits to the enemy and yes, 3d6 hits to your unit, but for your hits you reroll the high dice, for the enemy the low dice. average number of hits on your unit including rerolls: 3*2.75 = 8.25 hits, average number of hits versus enemy unit: 5*4.25=21.25 hits.

why use savages: they do not panic from the hits, plus they stand a chance of actually beating the (now seriously depleted) enemy unit that just charged them.

other benefit of having the fanatics in the 2nd line: if you see fanatic baiters coming your way, just hang back a bit further so the 8"release is one iunch behind your battleline ;-).