PDA

View Full Version : How to spot a fake?

Jokaero!
01-03-2010, 17:44
I am looking at picking up some rare models, the Gyrinx and (surprise surprise) the Jokaero. I know they are unreleased and have no idea how many were made.

So how do you know if it is fake or not? One or two seem to pop up on eBay each month but how can one be certain if it is the real deal?

I've seen one with a slight brown tinge to its lower half, I have asked if it is painted or stripped and he says no but got a lot of unreleased models from a guy.

So, do I buy the model I have always wanted, for collection purposes only, perhaps a future investment too or be very wary?

Inquisitor Engel
01-03-2010, 18:01
The brown tinge occurs in the lower models over time due to the metals used, it's just simple oxidation as far as I'm aware. I bought an Arbites Judge and Arbite with Grenade Launcher around 2004 NIB from an LGS and both had the brown tinge.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, they didn't affect painting in any way (check my blog for pics of the arbite with grenade launcher).

AndrewGPaul
01-03-2010, 20:24
There's not much you can do before you buy it. Some possible tell-tales are a plain base tab, multiple mould lines (caused by not cleaning off the original mould line before recasting), 'soft' detail and the model being a little smaller than usual. The first three are not all 100%, though; some genuine models can show these signs (more recent minis are more likely IME to have multiple mould lines; the guys making the production moulds from the master castings seem to be getting lazy these days), and remember the old models are lead-based, so 20-odd years of rattling about in a bits box can take its toll on details.

Plastic Parody
01-03-2010, 21:17
Just to back up Inquisitor Engel the discolouration is oxidation or some such other time/age related issue. I was lucky enough to get 10 adeptus arbites still in the blisters which had that - it doesnt affect the models or detail.

As for authenticity, if its a nice model and a decent pic of it I'd go for it regardless, though I might ask for more or better pics if I wasnt sure.

Be wary of items shown with poor pictures as you'd think someone selling a collectors item would try to put a reasonable one up - better pic = more cash I've found when selling.

Good luck

metalmonk
27-01-2013, 21:57
A good website showing how to spot fakes is

http://limited-edition-warhammer.blogspot.co.uk/p/spotting-fakes.html

Kevlar
28-01-2013, 05:05
I bought some Skaven Storm vermin off ebay and when I got them they seem of dubious quality. Caveat Emptor.

TheDungen
28-01-2013, 05:58
if it allows you to get a rare model and the quality is good then why bother? i say gw get what they called for when they made limited edition miniatures.

Hendarion
28-01-2013, 05:59
I am looking at picking up some rare models, the Gyrinx and (surprise surprise) the Jokaero. I know they are unreleased and have no idea how many were made.They aren't unreleased and there have produced quite some.

BigBossLekash
23-03-2014, 20:55
My question is... Who cares if it's a fake? Can you play a game with it? Does it look nice once painted? If yes... Who cares?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk