PDA

View Full Version : Are flavorfull lists playable?

Chaoschrist
01-03-2010, 18:11
The reason I ask is because (after about a break of a year) I'm planning to get back into the hobby.

I do enjoy painting and converting more than playing, but with my armies last year, they were all cool and stuff, but I found it somewhat lacking in playing. Hence I got tired of playing.

For instance, I had a decent sized Imperial fists army (just short of a couple for 4000 pts), but had more siege and big guns than anything else going on in between my models. If fists are siege, then they'd bring siege stuff to battle. I mean... if a vindicator shell can take out a chunk of a fortress, it could take chunk out of an army.

So anyways, with the 5 possible options I had for armies, I found that either an all bike White scars army or a flavorfull Kult of speed army would appeal to me. They'd be at least somewhat playable and affordable (the others were a Grey knight force cause I like the models, an Eldar list with a lot of Harlequins also because I like those, or Elysians... *sigh*)

But the question remains; Is a list based on fluff playable? I wouldn't like to dish out cash on conversions and insane amounts of units (30-ish Warbikes or 25-ish Marine bikes) just to conclude... "oh well, this doesn't work in the least bit" and I'm not talking competitions or tourney's either way.

Freakiq
01-03-2010, 18:15
Not every army can pull off a competitive yet specialized fluff-based army.

Marines have it easy and can be given almost any theme and still be competitive.

Bunnahabhain
01-03-2010, 18:46
Some do, some don't.

It depends on the army, and how you interpret the background. For example, a mechanised guard army, with everyone as mechanised infantry, air mobile infantry, and fast/heavy tank support is well supported in the background, and is one of the most powerful builds available.
On the other hand, pure Grey Knights are also fit the background, but is rather less powerful....

Chaoschrist
01-03-2010, 18:53
That's pretty much what I figured... "some do, and some don't" and to add with it, marines do give a solid list no matter how you build em.

Anyone on Kult of speed Orks?

SPYDER68
01-03-2010, 18:58
Speed orks ?

Thats easy.

Battle wagon spam full of buys and 1 nob squad supported by trucks with boys.

Battle wagons with Bikers running along with them.

Or Bikers with trucks running with them

Id say battlewagon spam is the strongest, and can be very competetive.

LususNaturae
01-03-2010, 19:30
Any list is playable.

Most flavorful lists are competitive within the set of flavorful lists.

However, don't take Nurgle Daemons or pure Deathwing to a cutthroat tournament and expect to win against IG Vet/Chimera spam or Eldrad DAVU Falcons.

Gaargod
01-03-2010, 19:46
Yes. Armies are playable - as in, you can take them to a casual game and not expect to get trounced.

They may not be competitive however.

Out of the 5 you mentionned, all bike marines and Kult of Speed orks are both pretty competitive. Grey Knights or Harlequin heavy Eldar... not so much. Don't really know aout Elysians, other than the crazy price tag.

Be aware that Kult of Speed will cost you more though, as you really do still need to ascribe to the principle of more is better. More so if you take the more competitive option of truckz/battlewagonz (unless you're running nob bikerz, which is an entirely different kettle of fish. If you're good at converting, its fairly cheap and effective (expect complaints if you abuse wound allocation), although entirely one dimensional).

Chaoschrist
01-03-2010, 20:31
Yes. Armies are playable - as in, you can take them to a casual game and not expect to get trounced.

They may not be competitive however.

Out of the 5 you mentionned, all bike marines and Kult of Speed orks are both pretty competitive. Grey Knights or Harlequin heavy Eldar... not so much. Don't really know aout Elysians, other than the crazy price tag.

Be aware that Kult of Speed will cost you more though, as you really do still need to ascribe to the principle of more is better. More so if you take the more competitive option of truckz/battlewagonz (unless you're running nob bikerz, which is an entirely different kettle of fish. If you're good at converting, its fairly cheap and effective (expect complaints if you abuse wound allocation), although entirely one dimensional).

I don't plan on going to tourney's. My aim is a 1500 pts list to take to my local store, show of some painting skills and play a game every once in a while. Elysians... pretty much the price tag is what set me off. As for the army itself. Pretty Valkyrie heavy, I recall.

I had an idea for a list which was something like 3 x 10 bikers, a truck with 10 boys and a couple of buggy's.. and that biker character as HQ. So it's just very bike heavy, but I can understand the battlewagon/trukk issue. Trukk heavy sounds like fun too.

The thing with White scars I recalled, was ordering a lot of White scars bits. I'm usually pretty "strict" in regards to playing chapters or anything, and I want it to look as fluff as possible modelwise. And while a GW store is in the area and bits can be ordered... I once had a Vostroyan firstborn project running and it cost me an arm and a leg, heh.

Gray Hunter
02-03-2010, 17:40
Kult Orks are eminently playable, so long as you have plenty of Trukk Boyz for taking objectives and you remember that maneuverability is a more powerful asset than simply getting stuck in as is usually the case with the Orks.

Lord of Worms
02-03-2010, 19:13
Grey Knights aren`t exactly where they should be, rules-wise. They`re probably the worst example of a themed army list. Harlequin spam should be pretty effective, though. You can paint all their vehicles in Harlequin colours and such, and not have it as Craftworld Eldar at all.

GrogDaTyrant
02-03-2010, 20:11
KOS Orks aren't just limited to trukks and wagons. I run a bike-themed Kult of Speed (not the Nob Bike army of "I'm not a real Ork player"). The 2 major drawbacks to the Warbike-focused list is the lack of weapon options and Wazzdakka himself. Otherwise the list thoroughly messes up the meta-game nonsense. It runs into problems against some armies (like monster-heavy nids or Land-Raider spam. But the current IG and Marine builds you see the most of tend to have a very hard time against it. Especially armies that bulk up on lots of Meltas or Ordnance.

Competitive? Sure. Some Deathkoptas/Buggies and a smallish unit of Nobs are advisable (as is a Warboss on a bike). But otherwise it can be quite potent if you play it right and don't try to engage in a war of attrition.

Carlos
02-03-2010, 20:18
Assuming you are outside of tournaments no self respecting 40K player should care more about winning than army design. The fun of the game is themed lists, not game winning cutter collections.

If you want a kult of speed of white scars do it and winning games be damnned.