PDA

View Full Version : Looking for your $.02, WHFB army poll

Melchiah
01-03-2010, 19:04
I havent played Warhammer in ages, I had about 2500-3000 of high elves back in 5th ed and havent really played since i lost the army. In the coming months as I finish my eldar Im thinking of starting up as a close friend of mine still has alot of his armies.Im thinking of getting back in to HE, but with the newer launches Im also thought Skaven,Vamps, and Beastmen. Thou i have the O&Gs from skull pass, im not tied down to them.

snowywlf
01-03-2010, 19:09
I vent played Warhammer in ages, I had about 2500-3000 of high elves back in 5th ed and havent really played since i lost the army. In the coming months as I finish my eldar Im thinking of starting up as a close friend of mine still has alot of his armies.Im thinking of getting back in to HE, but with the newer launches Im also thought Skaven,Vamps, and Beastmen. Thou i have the O&Gs from skull pass, im not tied down to them.

High Elves are a good choice for getting your feet wet again. They can participate well in any phase of the game, allowing you to field varied lists and enjoy different tactics. Plus, they are rumored to be in the 8th ED starter box (the two armies are supposed to be HE vs Skaven) with new plastic Silver Helms. So some new things on the horizon as well.

Edit: Sorry, rereading your post it appears you no longer have your HE army? In that case, I still stand by my recommendation of HE, but maybe you want something completely fresh? Skaven have lots of options as well. VC are kind of boring, both to fight and to play (in my opinion). Beastmen are a little rough right now; the lack of basically any defense makes an army that you have to be very aggressive with and punishes mistakes severely. Since they are apparently "written for 8th ED", it is quite possible they will improve (indeed, several rumors point at ways in which they will improve). Still, you wont have as many different playstyle options as with Skaven or HE.

The Red Scourge
01-03-2010, 19:29
Go for the models you like the best :)

Melchiah
01-03-2010, 19:32
Then it would be between skaven and vamps. Im also asking due to the fact i havent picked up an army book since 6th ed.

tezdal
01-03-2010, 19:52
I always vote O&G, I love the buggers just cant get it in my heart to buy all the gobbos and orcs to make my life truly utopian.

Stegadeth
01-03-2010, 20:14
If you like Skaven, I say go for it. The big rumor is that the new introductory box set will contain High Elves and Skaven, so you can likely get started for cheapish.

mattjgilbert
01-03-2010, 20:18
I agree based on your preference and the fact the rat book recently came out (and they will also be in the 8th ed starter box), that skaven seem the best choice for you.

I hope you like painting brown ;)

Malorian
01-03-2010, 20:20
Play skaven. They are brand new, fun, and there are a lot of ways to play them.

Condottiere
02-03-2010, 07:25
Play O&G until the 8th is published, or use those miniatures as proxies to try out different armies. Once you find a style that suits you and models you feel are attractive, you've got your army, and you can study the new edition to figure out if it's worth investing.

ChaosVC
02-03-2010, 07:38
If you like a challenge, I say go Beastman go!

Zarroc
02-03-2010, 09:28
Skaven are pretty awesome, way cool models, pretty tough, and extremly fun to play

Taylor US
02-03-2010, 12:53
If you liked HE back in the day you should love them now. They are still very characterful for their race.

YTY
02-03-2010, 12:58
You should take the army with the coolest figures. All these armies have the possibility to field different kind of lists.

They are also all good for competitive play, except for orcs and goblins which are sadly the most underpowered army in the game. (and time will tell about the beastmen)

Given that, I'll vote vampire counts as they are very cool and "evil".

Melchiah
02-03-2010, 16:33
Play O&G until the 8th is published, or use those miniatures as proxies to try out different armies. Once you find a style that suits you and models you feel are attractive, you've got your army, and you can study the new edition to figure out if it's worth investing.

I dont have enough to really play with them or proxy as anything or with anything.

Condottiere
02-03-2010, 17:02
Then it really goes down to what to you is important, whether cost, aesthetics, fluff, playstyle, etcetera; it's always possible to borrow someone's figures.

If you have no strong feelings at the moment, it might not be the best time to invest; the army books from the last two years aren't likely to be updated soon, so if you're looking for stability, that would be my recommendation.

Because of the current rumours circulating, it's hard to assess how High Elves are going to be affected in the next edition.

Melchiah
02-03-2010, 17:31
Like i said Im still working on Eldar, Im just trying to get afeel for the armies i have a small interest in. The GW site is always so vague for these kinds of things.