PDA

View Full Version : What happens to drop pods after the battle?

TownCryer
01-03-2010, 20:04
I pondered this earlier, are they picked up after the battle? Or are they left on the warzone and just replaced?

If so in the latter they are left I was thinking of converting one into an Ork drive in or bosses tent. Or heck if I have enought of them a pod town.

Lord Asgul
01-03-2010, 20:06
I am pondering this as well

I would really like to know :)

borithan
01-03-2010, 20:09
I think they are meant to be recovered.

But the Space Marines might be forced to abandon the drop pods, and so your conversion idea still has merit to it.

bigcheese76
01-03-2010, 20:10
A third person who would like to know the answer. Im guessing it differes between chapters.

An ork Drop Pod town would be really cool though, as if a warboss has just seen all these landed drop pods, slaughtered the bloo blokes (ultramarines) and taken their pods.

DapperAnarchist
01-03-2010, 20:12
MOST would be recovered by Thunderhawk. However, that presumes that the Astartes manage to take and hold the battlefield - not always the case! And a drop pod trukk would be brilliant, the Orks have a certain weird respect for the Space Marines, so totally fitting.

bigcheese76
01-03-2010, 20:15
So if the Orks had won the battle, presumably the Marines would not be able to recover the pods, meaning the orks can have them for themselves.

TownCryer
01-03-2010, 20:52
So if the Orks had won the battle, presumably the Marines would not be able to recover the pods, meaning the orks can have them for themselves.

That was the idea I had, but just wondering in general.

Similarly I had a funny though of a Boss rushing Grots and Boyz into the storm bolter fire till the ammo runs out.

Also what I want to make first is an ork Drive-in Diner. Using the doors as the walking up to service the Trukks and the main body as the grill/kitchen.

Luxem
01-03-2010, 21:27
I don't think the orks would use drop pods.

For one, the only technology they seem to care for are vehicles that can be driven and armed with weapons.

You cant attach wheels to a drop pod and I don't see how a drop pod would help an Ork WAAAAGH! Seeing as how a drop pod cant really help the orks in battle.

Unless, an ork was very crafty and a very creative mind, maybe it could become a ork Drive-in Diner?

But, im willing to bet that the Space Marine chapter would never allow something like that to happen and would rather destroy it in orbital bombardment than see such a disgraceful action.

Lord of Worms
01-03-2010, 21:45
Use it as a torso for a Stompa.

Edit: I think drop pods are considered to be expendable, but it would stand to reason that they would try to pick them up if they had the luxury of time to do so. Space Marines aren't exactly wasteful with their equipment, and I'm pretty sure the Techmarines would get sick of constantly replacing the drop pods they keep throwing away.

Hushrong
01-03-2010, 21:50
I wondered the same thing and its either recovered if the assult is a success...or left behind if all is lost.

I like boarding pods used in void warfare because from what i have read, they can be used as an exit vehicle as well.

and i have to say orks are crafty, they could use the drop doors for plating on a vehicle as well as the ideas mentioned before. its a durable vehicle so it would make great armor.

i for one would love to see a Stompa with a drop-pod used as part of its construction as Lord of Worms said.

carldooley
01-03-2010, 22:05
I created the fluff for my SM chapter to be one where they were the ones who go around and 'clean up' the battlefields. Plasma Cannon lying around, we'll pick that up, ditto Rhino STCs, LR STCs, spent Drop Pods, and any other imperial technology lying around - and making totally unusable anything of xenos origin.

Luxem
01-03-2010, 22:08
I created the fluff for my SM chapter to be one where they were the ones who go around and 'clean up' the battlefields. Plasma Cannon lying around, we'll pick that up, ditto Rhino STCs, LR STCs, spent Drop Pods, and any other imperial technology lying around - and making totally unusable anything of xenos origin.

True but, I thought they take some of this technology with them to study?

carldooley
01-03-2010, 22:14
True but, I thought they take some of this technology with them to study?

only the renegades:p

bigcheese76
01-03-2010, 23:21
Use it as a torso for a Stompa.

I have just started Orks and really dont like the current stompa model that much so I think some time in the future I will try that out.

Lord of Worms
01-03-2010, 23:26
The stompa model is a huge scam. You can make one out of junk in your garage.

bigcheese76
01-03-2010, 23:29
The stompa model is a huge scam. You can make one out of junk in your garage.

And as I am finding out about Ork players, converters and painters. To throw some things together in your garage makes you a big mek and 9 times out of 10 these ork converters come out with something great for fraction of the cost.

Lord of Worms
01-03-2010, 23:51
That's the beauty of orks. You have to buy lots of dudes, but everything else you can make yourself. Easily.

thearchiver
02-03-2010, 03:17
Recovered via a modified T-hawk would be the case most of the time, maybe using scouts to secure a pod if the area hasn’t been pacified completely, and destroyed by some means if recovery isn’t possible.

massey
02-03-2010, 03:28
I figure they recover them when they can, but I doubt they lose any sleep if the situation makes it difficult to recover a drop pod. They aren't Land Raiders, after all. If time is tight, they're needed elsewhere, or the landing zone is particularly dangerous, they probably just leave the pods where they are.

Karhedron
02-03-2010, 14:34
If time is tight, they're needed elsewhere, or the landing zone is particularly dangerous, they probably just leave the pods where they are.

I agree, I expect that Pods would normally suffer a fairly high attrition rate. Marines venerate their wargear and I am sure they will try to recover any piece of wargear if it is practical. However at the end of the day they are a fighting army and will want to be off fighting, not scavenging their last battle site to recover spent bolter casings. ;)

Ramius4
02-03-2010, 17:59
In the Marine roleplaying campaign I run I went with the idea that the Drop Pods can use anti grav plates and the same thrusters they have to slow their descent in order to fly (slowly) back up to their ships. But yes, accidents and damage with them are supposed to be common enough that a lot of them don't get back. The models even have some turbofan looking thrusters on the bottom so it makes sense in my mind.

As Karhedron mentions, with the way the Imperium views their technology I doubt they'd leave them behind if at all possible to recover them.

But as far as I know it has never really been considered in GW's fluff.

trolly
02-03-2010, 20:24
Consider this, SM Tech is more advance compare to other branch of military arm of the Imperium. And wasting single piece of equipment is a NO for SM. Remember that they will fought to retrieve Dreadnought chassis, fallen comrade, tanks, and other equipment, I don't think they will waste Drop Pod also. Assuming only if they win the battle. Their tech is just too valuable.

:D

Lord of Worms
02-03-2010, 20:41
Consider this, SM Tech is more advance compare to other branch of military arm of the Imperium. And wasting single piece of equipment is a NO for SM. Remember that they will fought to retrieve Dreadnought chassis, fallen comrade, tanks, and other equipment, I don't think they will waste Drop Pod also. Assuming only if they win the battle. Their tech is just too valuable.

It`s just a box with a jet-engine stuck to it. I agree, they aren`t wasteful with their stuff, but to be honest a cruiser`s torpedo is more sophisticated than a drop pod.

musical
02-03-2010, 21:08
It`s just a box with a jet-engine stuck to it. I agree, they aren`t wasteful with their stuff, but to be honest a cruiser`s torpedo is more sophisticated than a drop pod.

Surely it must also include some sort of computer/machine spirit to control the descend?

puppetmaster24
02-03-2010, 21:10
Given the nature of drop pods i would say that not all of them are going to land intact. and if the marines lose the battle and are kicked of the planet quick smart they will not be able to collect them.

P.S. If you are going to use them on a stompa don't use it as the body. Slap it on an arm, put a lot of orky "improvements" on it and use it as a gun.

Amornar
02-03-2010, 21:14
I think the general consensus and best answer we will get is that if at all possible they will be recovered. But as an object that plummets through the atmosphere and smashes into the ground, even if slowed, in what is sure to be very intense enemy fire, many will be either destroyed or not worth salvaging. I would assume the Admech would be more worried about recovering innards anyway, as that is the machine spirit. The housing, what you would make conversions out of would be a lot easier to replace.

My 2 cents.

Lord of Worms
02-03-2010, 21:17
Surely it must also include some sort of computer/machine spirit to control the descend?

Yeah, but a modern PC could perform the necessary calculations. It doesn`t have a super sophisticated AI (or "machine spirit") like a Land Raider or something.

Shadow Marine
02-03-2010, 21:36
In one of the Space Wolf Novels, it mentions that Ragnar looks at the 'artwork' on the inside of a drop pod that another SW had done. This 'suggests' that they are reused as you wouldn't decorate it if it was going to left behind after it's first mission.

carldooley
02-03-2010, 21:44
Yeah, but a modern PC could perform the necessary calculations. It doesn`t have a super sophisticated AI (or "machine spirit") like a Land Raider or something.

remember that a modern calculator has more processing power than the Apollo astronauts had on the moon.

trolly
03-03-2010, 00:02

And the one that actually use it is the Dreadclaw.

Let see.
Remember that some of squad banner that GW painted (or other painter), have star chart on it. That mean on a crusade, especially BT, it take a long time for a strike cruiser or battlebarge return to homeworld, or in the case of BT, meet forge ship. Question is, in a mission, how many drop will be made? The answer is determined how much and how valuable Drop Pod is. And it is not that simple just to visit forgeworld and ask AdMech to build Drop Pod. I remember in 1st GK novel that, Alaric can't replace the two lost thunderhawk in instance, although The =I= have abundance of resources. So, although it just box with a rocket, it very valuable for a crusading marines, to meet their crusade.

Lord of Worms
03-03-2010, 00:05
They can probably build them themselves on their Battle Barges or homeworlds.

trolly
03-03-2010, 00:59
Yes i notice the capabilty of battle barge to produce arms, but Drop Pod?I don't think so.
And I think on a conflict that they involved in, they will make some drop to fill their "surgical strike" modus operandi.
There is 2 option.
1. SM retrieve their Drop Pod to Drop in another mission. Which result in lightning fast campaign.
2. Go back to homeworld take some spare Drop Pod and back to Conflict zone to start another drop. That take a long long time.
SM will take option 1 i guess, as to fill their objective, they maybe need more than one drop.

chromedog
03-03-2010, 01:17
This topic seems to come up on a monthly basis.

From a snippet in Imperial Armour vol.2 (His Imperial Majesty's power armoured enforcers of his Will and their fascist mates) They use specially modified Thunder Hawk transporters to recover them from the battlefield. These can normally transport 2 rhinos or a single land raider tank, but can be used to recover several pods as well with the modified pickup gear (clamps and so on).

All SM hardware is viewed a holy artifact/relic, from the lowliest bolter round to the mighty starships that power their crusades through the stars.

muskrat
03-03-2010, 02:14
I agree, I expect that Pods would normally suffer a fairly high attrition rate. Marines venerate their wargear and I am sure they will try to recover any piece of wargear if it is practical. However at the end of the day they are a fighting army and will want to be off fighting, not scavenging their last battle site to recover spent bolter casings. ;)

I thought bolters were caseless?

Lord of Worms
03-03-2010, 02:22
I thought bolters were caseless?

For some reason people seem to think so, even though they have ejection ports. The real life equivalent to a bolter shell is the Frag-12, which is externally identical to a standard 12 gauge shell.

chromedog
03-03-2010, 07:07
Ejection ports aren't JUST for getting rid of spent casings.
They are also used for clearing duds and jams (as opposed to field stripping and cleaning).

GW went with .75cal caseless because it was the Stainless Steel Rat's gun, and the Lawmasters of Judge Dredd also used it. It was the iconic SF gun round of the early/mid 80s.

DapperAnarchist
03-03-2010, 20:14
In one of the Space Wolf Novels, it mentions that Ragnar looks at the 'artwork' on the inside of a drop pod that another SW had done. This 'suggests' that they are reused as you wouldn't decorate it if it was going to left behind after it's first mission.

Unlike bombs? Bomb art was common in WW2, though usually limited to messages. For the potentially more symbolically linguistic Fenrisians, a painted Drop Pod might be normal...

Sternguard777
04-03-2010, 11:01
Don't guys see the beauty of the drop pod. If you win, its recoovered. If you lose.... well then you activate the self-destruct device to kill all the pillaging orks :D
You have to remember they don't just make passenger pods they have dedicated deathwind drop pods thats solle purpose is to be used as bait for a trap.

Killgore
04-03-2010, 13:03
This topic seems to come up on a monthly basis.

From a snippet in Imperial Armour vol.2 (His Imperial Majesty's power armoured enforcers of his Will and their fascist mates) They use specially modified Thunder Hawk transporters to recover them from the battlefield. These can normally transport 2 rhinos or a single land raider tank, but can be used to recover several pods as well with the modified pickup gear (clamps and so on).

All SM hardware is viewed a holy artifact/relic, from the lowliest bolter round to the mighty starships that power their crusades through the stars.

Along with this i expect there are many methods for collection of drop pods, Thunderhawk or cargo transporter crewed by chapter serfs with techmarine supervison.

Sai-Lauren
04-03-2010, 13:07
In the Marine roleplaying campaign I run I went with the idea that the Drop Pods can use anti grav plates and the same thrusters they have to slow their descent in order to fly (slowly) back up to their ships. But yes, accidents and damage with them are supposed to be common enough that a lot of them don't get back. The models even have some turbofan looking thrusters on the bottom so it makes sense in my mind.

Dreadclaws can lift off again, but they're all Chaos.

For the Imperial ones, the Thunderhawk Transporter is supposed to have a winch to pick them up (IA2).