PDA

View Full Version : Vampire counts with a twist

duffybear1988
01-03-2010, 20:26
Ok so this is the fluff behind my future army.

It was a cold and stormy night when the pale skinned maiden arrived at the gates of Narbonne, a large town to the north of the Bretonnian mainland. Entering the castle she was warmly welcomed by the Duke Auguste Junot who invited her to dine with him that evening. After the meal the lady approached Junot, using her powers to seduce and then turn him into a vampire. At first he was dumbfounded and distraught but couldnt resist the thirst inside him. Thus that very night he saked his bloodlust by slaying and drinking from his bodyguard of knights within the castle walls.

The next morning the townspeople of Narbonne woke to find heavy snow surrounding the town and fields. With very few supplies already gathered and stored for the winter the townspeople and soldiers were soon starving and sickness was rife. It wasnt long before cannibalism was common and the fair people of Narbonne had fallen from grace to become the debased creatures known as ghouls. The local apothecary Gerome was driven insane by the locals who all sought cures to ther varying illnesses and he consulted illegal texts filled with dark magic that he had once been given by a traveller who he had helped.

And so when the snow finally melted the town of Narbonne was no more. The dark and desolate place that remained was the haunt of ghouls and darker creatures and the vampire mistress who had turned the lord had a ready supply of bodies to carry out her nefarious schemes.

ok so here is the list -

LORDS
1 Vampire Mistress Lady Angelique, lv3, flayed hauberk, wristbands of black gold, dark acolyte, master of the black arts, summon ghouls, hellsteed = 435 pts.

HEROES
1 Vampire Duke Auguste Junot, BSB, ghoulkin, dreadknight, book of arkhan = 210 pts.

1 Necromancer Gerome, all 3 spells, dispel scroll, sceptre de noirot, corpse cart = 210 pts.

CORE
20 Ghouls, ghast = 168 pts.

6 Dire Wolves = 48 pts.

SPECIAL
5 Fell Bats = 100 pts.

9 Black Knights, full command, barding = 292 pts.

RARE
1 Varghulf = 175 pts.

5 Cairn Wraiths, banshee = 275 pts.

TOTAL = 2249 points.

Ok so basically the vampire will join the black knights and sit on one flank with the dire wolves as a shield. The necromancer will sit in the centre ghoul unit with the 2 other ghoul units to either side. The varghulf and wraiths will sit on the other flank. The vampire lord will sit behind the ghouls boosting them up and raising zombies if needed. The fell bats can act as a bodyguard by keeping close to her, or can hunt warmachines and lone heroes.

I plan to convert the army as follows -

Vampire lord - damsel on pegasus
vampire - bret knight
necromancer on corpse cart - normal model
ghouls - mix of ghouls and bret men at arms (it looks amazing trust me)
black knights - bret knights
varghulf - normal model
wraiths - men at arms with bret knight heads and empire free company great swords. The banshee will be the normal model.
dire wolves - normal models
fell bats - normal models

So I want to keep this army pretty themed but if anyone wants to make suggestions on how to improve the list them please give me feedback, also if have any ideas for conversions and such then please tell me.

Sygerrik
02-03-2010, 03:49
Bella-- I mean Angelique-- has a weird item loadout. If you're mounted you don't really need the Flayed Hauberk as you can attain a 2+ save simply by taking Dread Knight. The Wristbands are a nice protective item but against some armies you will quickly regret dangling her outside of a unit. Even if she's mounted you can pop her in a unit which provides excellent protection. Even if you don't take Dread Knight I'd say she's safer in a unit (and you can ditch the Wristbands then, even if you keep the Hauberk, and take a Skull Staff or Helm of Commandment).

BigbyWolf
02-03-2010, 08:26
His lord is mounted on a hellsteed, AFAIK it can't join units, or get barding. As long as it doesn't get in combat a 2+/3++ vs shooting should be fine so long as she's not over exposed.

duffybear1988
02-03-2010, 16:06
I dont really fancy bunkering the lord up as it is really boring for both me and my opponents. I would much rather play a fun, fluffy and moderately powerful list that I can enjoy converting, painting and using, and that my opponents can also have fun playing against. I have played against VC bunkers many times and it is just bland and to be honest its what drove me away from Fantasy last year... so now I have challenged myself to create a cool army thats mobile and powerful but isnt just blocks of boring ghouls with accompanying vampires and necro-carts, supported by varghulfs.

Personally I like the idea of a vampire lady flying above the battlefield summoning zombies and such.

VC Billy
02-03-2010, 22:42
Very cool concept and you have the tools to win. I like the conversion ideas as well. I only have a few minor changes that I feel would make this army much better and allow you to keep your theme.

Lord - Add the helm of commandment. Seems to fit the theme and fluff you've written. Plus it makes you able to fly anywhere on the field and immediately make the troops in that area stronger.
-I'd take the points from the necro's ghoul unit. Take them down to 15.

Vamp - I would switch Ghoulkin to walking death, but I can understand why you would want the ghouls moving. Also, you might find the gem of blood, the balefire spike, and cadaverous cuirass a better item build than just the book. More themed as well. Being your BSB he needs more defense, this would give him plenty. Assassin proof, and really hard for even choppy characters to bring him down. I run mine like that but with hatred and he's a beast.
-I'd get points for this by using the 10 remainder points from dropping 5 ghouls and the other 5 from the necro change

Necro - The scepter is way better on paper than it is in game. I would switch this out with a power stone.

I would also take a warbanner on the knights. with walking death you should hit most things with a static CR 6, 5 str 6 KB attacks, and 3 str 7 attacks. Should be enough to kill or break almost anything.
-Maybe lose a bat and a wolf to do it?

benjitodd86
02-03-2010, 23:58
Hey dude, nice army list, I made a similar VC army a few years back, when stuff was cheaper and I could afford to buy 80+ men at arms to use as skelies! I like the fluff to, but here are the only changes I would make to make the army more effective.

Making the BSB a Wight King has some great advantages, firstly more survivability for your BSB, secondly, if he joins the Knights, they will still benefit from Ethereal movement, something that attaching a Vamp to the unit would negate.

Necromancers are pretty useful, as is the corpse cart, but as necro spells can be cast more than once per phase, I don't always think its good points to buy all three spells, just having him concentrating on raising or moving and then putting the extra points on balefire, will essentially give you +1 to dispell if the cart is in good coverage of the battlefield.

Ghouls as the solid core choice works well, I hate zombies and with a few well placed vamp powers, you can raise heaps of new ghouls to add to the units, and give them a free move (plus adjoining characters) before the battle begins.

The Vargulf is insane! Love this guy cos he will tear heaps to shreds and can act as a character to help out a smaller flanking force (the vampire rule for marching) so having him paired up with something of equal movement on the flank is the best way to go, as unfortunately CR can still see him off pretty quick.

Finally with the black knights is that they need to leave the castle with an effective banner. either the strigios one, the banner of barrows or even a war banner really helps them out.

As you seem pretty happy with your characters, the way i would consider switching it up would be making the BSB the wight king w/sword of kings, and changing the necro to a vamp with the ghoulkin power and helm of commandment or book of arkan. I know it may need you to re-write a bit of fluff, but go over some of the strigio stories, the apothecary could have easily become a vamp, lived the life of a hermit. Also having another vamp with the summon ghoul power means you can afford to get the extra points required by reducing the size of the current units and raising more later on.

Ok I'm done!

duffybear1988
04-03-2010, 01:04
Ok so here is a re-jiggled list.

LORDS
1 Vampire Mistress Lady Angelique, lv3, flayed hauberk, wristbands of black gold, dark acolyte, master of the black arts, summon ghouls, helm of commandment, hellsteed = 465 pts.

HEROES
1 Vampire Duke Auguste Junot, BSB, walking death, dreadknight, book of arkhan = 210 pts.

1 Necromancer Gerome, 2 spells, dispel scroll, corpse cart, balefire = 195 pts.

CORE

15 Ghouls, ghast = 128 pts.

6 Dire Wolves = 48 pts.

SPECIAL
5 Fell Bats = 100 pts.

9 Black Knights, full command, barding, war banner = 317 pts.

RARE
1 Varghulf = 175 pts.

5 Cairn Wraiths, banshee = 275 pts.

TOTAL = 2249 points.

I totally forgot about the helm of commandment so thanks for reminding me. I did swap out the vampire BSB for a king BSB, but in the end I still prefer vampires so im going to stick with it until I have playtested the army fully (obviously the model wont need changing so I can use it as either a vamp or a wight king). I swapped ghoulkin for walking death as it made sense and I can get extra movement other ways. There isnt much need for protection against killing blow as nobody at my club runs anything that has killing blow, although poison could be a problem. I will try the list out and see if the BSB is too fragile with his current setup.

Anyway how does it look now?

benjitodd86
04-03-2010, 11:59
Looks good dude, good lick with the play test, let me know how it goes.

VC Billy
04-03-2010, 21:12
Yep, looks better. Good luck.

I would still recommend the BSB change as I've play tested a ton and found that the 310 points he's worth (including taking the BSB) is very tempting for your opponents strongest stuff. Gem of blood is the protection I go with most of the time. It is just so good and the book is really just for taming your opponents magic D anyway.

Let us know how it works for you.

duffybear1988
05-03-2010, 01:03
What is everyones opinion on the hand of dust? It looks powerful on paper and im considering changing the bok of arkhan on the BSB to hand of dust. That way I should be able to do some serious damage to whatever I charge.

My reasoning is this - if I put the BSB in the black knights, then when they charge I get to use hand of dust in the magic phase, which should potentially kill 4 or 5 enemies (pretty much a whole rank, then I use helm of commandment from my vampire lord to give the unit a better WS, and then have 5 S6 and 3 S7 attacks + steeds, as well as having usually 6 static combat res (1 for BSB, 1 for walking death, 1 for ranks, 1 for outnumber, 1 for unit standard, 1 for war banner). That should mean that I am even able to break serious units on the charge shouldnt it? I mean if I kill of a few before combat even begins (thanks to the hand of dust) then they should already be down by a rank or so, and I can use it to tackle anything powerful that my BSB might have to face... obviously if I am charged its a different matter (but hopefully I can avoid this). Am I right in thinking that if hand of dust kills enough in the magic phase, they could be running away even before combat begins or am I thinking of 40k here and fantasy units dont have to take a panic test if they suffer 25% casualties from shooting?

Would this tactic work? Is hand of dust good or is it a points sink? Against things like VC and TK I can see it paying off as if I can kill enough so that there isnt a model in the unit left (wipe them out) then my enemy cant bulk the unit out again next turn, thus stoping me from going after other targets...

VC Billy
05-03-2010, 02:19
It's terrible in open list formats since you'll NEVER get it off when you need it. It's like the book but different. Your opponent only has to expend a little bit of Magic D and it's worthless.

In closed list it can be okay, if you don't leave you opponent with any dispel dice and spring it on him on the exact turn you charge. If you get it off in the rare situation, it will only happen once.

I think you're taking for granted the fact that you'll get the book of arkhan and the hand of dust off. It really isn't that easy. You would do a lot better to change the wording of the item to say "-1 or -2 dispel dice from your opponent... depending on how much the effect will screw him at that time."

The more you play test that vamp with no defense the faster you'll change him to a defensive vamp. I have no doubt. When that time comes remember balefire spike, gem of blood , and cadavourus curiass.

Good Luck

duffybear1988
08-03-2010, 03:55
right I wont use that then