PDA

View Full Version : What's really bugging me about the Carnifex

Hive Fleet Bahamut
03-03-2010, 03:35
All joking aside about the double points less effective blah blah blah. Something else was been bugging me about the new edition of the Carnifex but I just couldn't put my finger on it. It was like trying to remember the name of something you knew you knew. Always at the tip of my tongue, always at the back of my mind, but always out of reach.

Today it hit me - I believe this is the first time a new codex has ever gutted a lot of available options from a kit. Perhaps this is just a side effect of the new reign of plastic, nonetheless I find it disappointing. Remember how excited we 'Nid players were when the new 'Fex kit came out? So many options all right there in the box. I was like a kid on Christmas. It was the first wave of new plastic kits that had all of the available options right there on the sprues. Now many of those plastic parts are meaningless. Gone from the Codex are:

Tusk Head
Enhanced Senses Head
Acid Maw Head
Spore Cyst Back Plate
Scythe Tail
Mace Tail
Enhanced Armour

This isn't the only 'Nid sprue with multiple conversion-fun-only essentially meaningless bits: All the Genestealer variant heads save feeder tendrils (for Ymgarl) are out. Finally the flesh hooks are meaningless for Warriors. I understand that in the case of say, Warrior Flesh Hooks that this might have been a army wide conceptual design choice and lets face it they were a minor part of the Warrior sprue set, even the 'Stealer heads I can deal with... I guess.

What I don't understand was the 'Fex. Why Mr.Cruddace? Why couldn't you come up with fun rules for some of these sweet looking extras? You doubled the cost of the base package, would it have been so hard to make some rules for even a few more of the modeled options on the sprues?

On a closing note can anyone else remember a kit having such a high number of options made redundant on it in the past. This is not an invitation to whinge about whole models/armies that have gone the way of the dodo. I'm only looking for kits that have had many options taken away that still exist on the sprues. I've been playing 40K a long time (turn radius card anyone) and I just can't remember this happening in the past.

Tenken
03-03-2010, 03:40
Actually I don't see that as much of a problem. It reduces the need to own 204 carnifexes just to have a bunch of options (or magnetizing the ever loving **** out of the entire 'fex box). I think the tail options should have stayed around as something that makes a fex different than any other MC's, but it seems no nids have "head" biomorphs anymore. It allows you to build the fex you want though without having to worry about WYSIWIG, so I don't think it's all bad.

Hoodwink
03-03-2010, 03:50
Yeah I don't see that as a bad thing at all. Now you can still make it look unique - much moreso than some units (cough*Trygon*cough).

Getting rid of all the extra biomorphs and whatnot actually saves people a lot of money. No more needing 50 different stealers to do the job of 10 kitted out different ways for different scenarios.

Rydmend
03-03-2010, 04:00
I dont mind it too much, not like I use my fex's much now anyway.

enigma-96
03-03-2010, 05:35
I'm Enigma-96 and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to make the minis he wants with the parts he wants?
No says the man in Britain you must buy more models
No says the rulebook it must be WYSIWIG
No says the red shirts in GW stores it's confusing for other players
I rejected those anwers, instead I chose something different, I chose the impossible, I chose Rapture. A place where the creative would not fear the censor, where the conversionist would not be bound by petty WYSIWIG morality, where the original would not be constrained by the narrow-minded, and with your minis Rapture can become your city as well. :p

Cookie for anyone who gets the reference, also my answer is in their somewhere as well.

Tenken
03-03-2010, 05:43
Enigma, would you kindly give yourself 1 free internets.:p

Scythe
03-03-2010, 06:16
I really don't mind them being gone. Like said, you are less limited by the possible restrictions of wysiwyg, and all those minor upgrades had limited impact in game anyway. The only upgrade the carnifex should have access to is armoured shell for the 2+ save. If the Tyrant can get it, the Carnifex should have access to it as well. (that, and a 20-30 pts decrease, plus a 2-3 shot heavy venom cannon instead of the 1 shot blast version, but that's something else ;)).

MadHatter
03-03-2010, 06:42
I'm Enigma-96 and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to make the minis he wants with the parts he wants? .

Nope not sence 2nd ed. you must now suffer through the NOs! lol. Actually I do not care how you build your models, except i want to see the weapons your models has.

To the OP;
I do not mind the idea of not having to worry about all the bio morphs myself.

Hive Fleet Bahamut
03-03-2010, 07:08
Perhaps it's the fact that I've become a mad magnet hound recently that I liked all the little fiddly bits of the Carnifex. And as some of you have pointed out I can make the models more individual without fearing wysiwyg complaints. Tusks for all my fexes! It's what Andrew Ryan would want after all.

Escaflowne_Z
03-03-2010, 07:11
Andrew Ryan, Bioshock! A man chooses, a slave obeys! and you do get +1 internets.

Ulrig
03-03-2010, 07:38
Yeah.....I have heads and backs, all magnetized. I even got extra heads from ebay so I could field what i wanted.

Want to know how long this took me?
I WATCHED THE ENTIRE SERIES OF BABYLON 5 while magnetizing my 5 fexs (that includes season 1)

Now seeing how the fex all together sucks for the points, and all those options were eliminated. You might say I am a little mad.

No i did not play zilla

Baragash
03-03-2010, 07:55
Including the Lost Tales and the feature lengths?

Cambion Daystar
03-03-2010, 07:56
Want to know how long this took me?
I WATCHED THE ENTIRE SERIES OF BABYLON 5 while magnetizing my 5 fexs (that includes season 1)

Or you could just watched what you were doing instead of watching babylon 5 and trying to do it blind. Would have saved you a lot of time :D

big squig
03-03-2010, 08:06
multiple conversion-fun-only essentially meaningless bits:

That fun-only part is reason enough for me not to care. 90% of those old carnifex options were never used. And even if they were, no opponent knew which was what.

They look cool. What other reason do you need to glue them to your model?

Forgotmytea
03-03-2010, 08:15
I'm Enigma-96 and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to make the minis he wants with the parts he wants?
No says the man in Britain you must buy more models
No says the rulebook it must be WYSIWIG
No says the red shirts in GW stores it's confusing for other players
I rejected those anwers, instead I chose something different, I chose the impossible, I chose Rapture. A place where the creative would not fear the censor, where the conversionist would not be bound by petty WYSIWIG morality, where the original would not be constrained by the narrow-minded, and with your minis Rapture can become your city as well. :p

Cookie for anyone who gets the reference, also my answer is in their somewhere as well.
Brilliant :D Playing that game now, actually :)

On topic, yeah, it's a bit of a shame there's no rules for them anymore, but as people have pointed out, you can now model them how you want without having to worry about WYSIWYG, so I think overall it's a good thing. You've still got all the options in the kit, you're just not bound by as many rules for each piece anymore.

daboarder
03-03-2010, 08:32
I think the lack of head, carpace and tail options is what is pissing me off the most about the kit.

xerxeshavelock
03-03-2010, 09:46
You can model them up without worrying about WYSIWIG.

What happens with the next codex? Will the options become available again - listening to the OP point of view?

Anyone who magnetised their Carni may be having the last laugh after all :)

ColonalKlink
03-03-2010, 10:01
I liked the option of kitting out the fex how I liked, but now I suppose its more streamlined I dont have to worry about explaining what each Fex has before the game, since the new dex came out I now play Nidzilla, before ( me being poor) I could not afford to buy allot of Fex's, NOW with all the power gamers selling their nid armies I have a very large Nid army and regularly use 3 Fex's at 2000pts, since I only use Sythe Fex's with bioplasma... thats right Screamer killers, love em

the_picto
03-03-2010, 11:35
All the extra bits will be useful for tervigon and t-fex conversions.

Acid maw head = acid spray.
Extra armour bits = reason why you are claiming a 2+ save for the t-fex.
Spore cyst carapace = cluster spines/stinger salvo (if you don't want to use the frag spine carapace anyway) or use it on a harpy which still spawns spore mines.

Etc.

jt.glass
03-03-2010, 12:22
Cookie for anyone who gets the reference, also my answer is in their somewhere as well.I don't think it is actually what you were referring to, but you speach put me in mind of the beginning of Trainspotting:

RENTON: I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got heroinlittle plastic figures?

jt.

Sygerrik
03-03-2010, 14:26
I actually like the fact that now you can model your fex with whatever you damn well please without your opponent insisting it's not WYSIWYG.