PDA

View Full Version : Rynn's world opinions

ORKY ARD BOYZ
03-03-2010, 09:18
Hi

I started reading Rynn's World by Steve Parker, and just started Chapter 7.

Is it just me or is it pretty badly written? The description isn't particularly imaginative, seeming dull in comparison to Dan Abnnet's work. Abnnet seemed to create both good action and characterization and intersperse them throughout Horus Rising so the reader gets a bit of variety. Rynn's World has been a build up of ceremonies, and that would be fine it it was written well. The ceremonies fail to impart any sense of reverence of Space Marine culture. The chapter master/ high chaplain say a few words, the chapter stands to attention. There's no emotional investment in the chapter. It's all so robotic and formal that it's hard to feel sympathy for the characters, especially when the protagonist's main characteristic is stereotypical Xenos hatred and impatience.

Cortez is particularly wooden. He's angry. He loves killing orks: "There will be no mercy for them, no quarter given. Their blood will turn the very stars red." He survives grievous wounds. The character or Cortez somehow felt lacking after reading about Loken.

Hopefully it'll get better. So far the buildup of tension of impeding destruction towards Rynn's World isn't working.

ColonalKlink
03-03-2010, 10:21
disagree totally :)

I found the CF's to be exactly how i imagined, the book (for me) was a ripping yarn... it does get better in later chapters, and the little bits of info (like how iron halo work, info on the orks) i loved.

8/10

read Fulgrim... 9/10

Promethius
03-03-2010, 10:37
I think a lot of your criticisms are valid, but I still enjoyed it. After all, what do you expect from a 40k novel? I thought it rattled along quite nicely.

aim
03-03-2010, 11:40
Although it was fun reading about Cortez, Kantor didn't hit home with me at all. The later chapters get more intresting, however, I was expecting something entirely different to how the chapter was almost wiped out.

There is perhaps, 6 squads of marines killed or implied killed by orks, the rest of the deaths were caused by a misfired missile. I mean, WTF? The CF should have a gripe with techmarines, not Orks. That dissapointed me greatly and could have been so much better

Also, the editing of the book is horrid, the number of gramatical errors and random repeated repeated or, superflous words where the sentance has obviously been changed from what it origionally had was and has had an odd word left in is rediculous.

(For those of you not familiar with satire, yes that was intended)

Worth reading it for just this little exchange though.... (warning, pretty specific spoiler)

*there has just been a huge battle with a power armoured ork warlord, Cortez was assumed dead after challenging it 1 on 1 and the ork turning up before him and throwing his arm at Kantor. Cortez then turns up and kills it with a Grendade, the following aproximate conversation ensues....
Cortez - 'OK, whats next'
Kantor- 'Nothing for you brother, you've lost an arm and only by the Emperors grace was it not your life'
Cortez- /nods over his shoulder 'I haven't lost an arm brother, its over there.'

Actually made me lol.

Xisor
03-03-2010, 19:06
I rather enjoyed it. Alot actually, I raced through it. 'Devoured' you might say.

That said, the criticisms are fair, though comparison to Horus Rising is a little unfair. HR was a magnificent book (much tighter, overall, than most of Dan's stuff, a seriously good book even set aside from the franchise). Rynn's World, I'm afraid, was the weakest of Steve Parker's books so far, but generally I still enjoy Parker much more than Abnett.

I found the Crimson Fists lacked a fair bit of 'oomf'. Reading A Thousand Sons at the moment and I find Graham's outlook on the Wolves in it to be fairly similar; the 'catch' just isn't there (which is quite different from, say, Parker's Headhunted, Kyme's Salamander or Thorpe's Angels of Darkness).

The book had a ton of strengths though, I thought. The Planetary Governor, the stuff involving the juxtaposed captain and his sergeant. In fact most of the stuff which didn't involve Cortez and Kantor. I did enjoy the Kantor/Cortez things too, but they felt weaker and lacking the catch of the rest of it.

I don't think it's quite proper to call Parker up on bad writing in this case. Not perfect, but...restrained. The tone of the 'Battles' books sounds like it's radically different from the others. Calibrating this opinion will be a bit easier when we see Aaron D-B's Helsreach and can compare it to his Guard novel Cadian Blood. (I put Parker & D-B together in a few things; both surprisingly good, both surprisingly 'subdued'. Gunheads/Cadian Blood were great in that respect.)

Central Criticism

I can't help but agree on the orks point. RW suffered in the same way as Kyme's Oathbreaker in that the enemies were good to read, but actually quite incompetent overall. I like competent enemies, truth be told. The Orks didn't...cut the mustard. Or rather, except the whole thing, they didn't do much damage to the Fists. As others have mentioned, the real enemy was that bloody missile. And I'm not sure how I feel about it!

jb85
03-03-2010, 19:39
There is perhaps, 6 squads of marines killed or implied killed by orks, the rest of the deaths were caused by a misfired missile. I mean, WTF? The CF should have a gripe with techmarines, not Orks. That dissapointed me greatly and could have been so much better

You can't really blame the book for that though, that was already the established background for the incident.

Leftenant Gashrog
03-03-2010, 21:09
You can't really blame the book for that though, that was already the established background for the incident.

Quoted for Truth. Not only is it established background - but its one of the oldest bits of marine fluff in existance, having been published in the background for the introductory scenario in the 40k 1st edition rulebook.

Corrode
03-03-2010, 22:05
There was some extensive discussion on the News & Rumours thread, but for me it boiled down to:

First 1/3rd is passable
Second 1/3rd is dire
Third 1/3rd is above-average.

Orks should have been more impressive, Fists more at risk between Badlanding and the battle for New Rynn Spaceport, and editing far higher quality. Overall though, not bad.

Iuris
04-03-2010, 06:34
Anyway, Rynn's world should have been the kind of book I love, but for some reason I can't identify, it took me a lot longer to read through than I expected. I don't know why, it just didn't inspire me, didn't draw me in, didn't make me stay up till 2AM for just one more chaper.

chromedog
04-03-2010, 09:21
Hi

seeming dull in comparison to Dan Abnnet's work.

Here's your problem. Your baseline comparison is set too high.

Now, if you'd compared it to, perhaps CS Goto's rather naff scriblings, it would be as a veritable Shakespearean literary classic. Dan Abnett is one of their better writers (though he also has his failings, they are no where near as bad as Goto's as a 40k writer).

The other problem is that there are more BL books of a similar quality to the aforementioned scribbler's (if I say his name more than twice, he's bound to write another cruddy 'eldar' novel.) works than of Abnetts.

FlashGordon
04-03-2010, 09:34
I have mixed feelings, it had some really impressive bits, i love the part about the missile. You knew it would happen but its so funny and sad at the same time. :)
And as ususal the fighing is very meh and the most boring parts of the book. The interaction between pedro and cortez was fun at some times but sometimes very childish.
It had some very interesting "infomertials" about how an astartes works(his armoursystems and psychindoktrination) so i would give it a 6 out of 10. That means half of the time it was good ass hell and half of the time quite bad, but overall readworthy.

aim
04-03-2010, 11:52
Quoted for Truth. Not only is it established background - but its one of the oldest bits of marine fluff in existance, having been published in the background for the introductory scenario in the 40k 1st edition rulebook.

Now that I didn't know, don't have any 1st ED stuff. Having said that, its not like they haven't retconned stuff before. I just didn't feel at any point during the book that the orks were anything more than cannon fodder. They seem to be written as pretty much harmless.

eltanko
05-03-2010, 07:28
Overall I enjoyed, but it wasnt as good as a friend of mine led me to believe. And to me was not really written any different from any other 40k novel. Don't get me wrong, the Fists whooped, Kantor is pretty dam 'ard.

But I was extremely dissapointed with the ending,
Kantor fights the main Ork, who runs away :wtf: then with a planet still full of Orks, the book abruptly ends, which leads me to only assume the Imperial forces wiped the Orks out. Something that to me would have been more entertaining to actually see written, then have to imagine it myself!!!!

ltsobel
05-03-2010, 09:57
I felt the book was ok. Ive been into 40k since 1st Ed RT and using the blue cut outs for the farm battle was my first experience and expected something more. The amazing artwork of the RT book cover and the last stand (seemingly) of the Crimson Fists meant that I bought nRynn's World as soon as it came out expecting something along the lines. I expected some sort of guerilla fighting tale.

Instead what I read was a passable but not exceptional drama that did seem to lack something unique, maybe i expected too much.

Sai-Lauren
05-03-2010, 10:18

Just a shame that they left the farmstead fight out of the book - the first ever 40k scenario, an iconic piece of the history of the game, and the writer forgot about/ignored it, adding in the civilian rescue to basically humanify the Crimson Fists instead.

I plowed through it in a few sessions - so not as good as an Abnett or a Cain novel which usually get devoured cover to cover in one go (the only reason I did Blood Pact in two sessions is because I was reading it on flights and each was only two hours long :)).

But certainly better than the Dark Angels ones which I really struggle getting through (the first one was a real slog, I think I managed a couple of chapters at a time, the second one started better, but I put it down about a week ago and havn't been minded to continue so far).

Corvussanctus
05-03-2010, 13:19
The Book was a great letdown for me, because I really liked Steve Parkers other books. But now it's the third book from him where some people have to go from place a) to place b) as fast as they can while being constantly attacked by orks. :-/
Also the Crimson Fists act like a bunch of youth scouts armed up with power armour and bolters. There is not one instance where the Space Marines are really torn between the Ceres-Protcoll and protecting some helpless inocennts.
Pedro Cantor and Cortez powerfist every single Ork they meet into oblivion before they are truly able to threat anyone.
No real hard choices, no mental scarring after the victory, and Pedro Cantors only reason to keep up is fighting is because he doesn't want to be "the guy who screwed up". And after the fifth time I grew weary of that statement.
Steve Parker, please go back to write about Guardsmen, and this time no race against time and orks. Thank you very much.

ColonalKlink
05-03-2010, 13:34
you guys have to remember cortez is not a mary sue, all his background fluff states he really is that tough, in 3rd ED he had a 3+ inv, which for the time was a bit of a big thing, as to kantor... he did seem a bit mary sueish

The Judge
05-03-2010, 14:08
I liked it, but was overall underwhelmed. Kantor and Cortez had some good conversations and cool fights, but the Orks just didn't seem too much of a threat, and none of the deaths felt important.

A more detailed character study of Kantor's mental anguish would have been nice.

TrooperTino
05-03-2010, 16:27
Are the Ork "Snipers" still the reason for most of the CFs casualties? I have never read that anywhere myself, but heard it very often... in combination with conspiracy theories which involved the CF, imperial Assassins, the Ultramarines and two Primarchs... I won't repeat these heresys here but I allways wondered if Ork "snipers" are something which is even thought of anywhere official :)

jb85
05-03-2010, 18:32
Are the Ork "Snipers" still the reason for most of the CFs casualties? I have never read that anywhere myself, but heard it very often... in combination with conspiracy theories which involved the CF, imperial Assassins, the Ultramarines and two Primarchs... I won't repeat these heresys here but I allways wondered if Ork "snipers" are something which is even thought of anywhere official :)

Think you are getting the snipers mixed up with the incident that virtually wiped out the Celestial Lions :confused:

GrogDaTyrant
05-03-2010, 20:37
...but the Orks just didn't seem too much of a threat, and none of the deaths felt important.

Which is exactly why I won't read anything by Black Library that involves the Orks. They're notorious for not representing them well.

Horus_Lupercal
06-03-2010, 01:20
15 hours, chapter war, gunheads, there are some mean orks in those books....but ya i know what you mean with the orks. there are gretchin snipers, never heard of a full bore ORK sniper tho.

vladsimpaler
06-03-2010, 03:07
Which is exactly why I won't read anything by Black Library. They're notorious for not representing anything that isn't Space Marines well.

Fixed your quote for my opinion on Black Library.

And even then, their representations of Imperial Marines are pretty pants.

This is why I don't read new 40k fiction. :angel:

dreamwarder
07-03-2010, 20:08
For the record, I actually quite enjoyed Rynn's World...

... just sayin'...

Ron Burgundy
07-03-2010, 20:37
It's ok to have enjoyed it. I wish I could say the same, but it was just disappointing.

It's the first BL book I've read that I felt was deliberately 'written down'. The author's other books are pretty good, both for relative complexity of motivation/characterisation and for writing style. Rynn's World, in comparison, feels childlike, with characters, concepts and scenes that feel like they've been created to be 'badass' and 'uber-cool' and lolzawesome but instead just seem slight and immature. Having a policy of killing chapter serfs who go into a special room no matter what, just because, almost all of Cortez's character, that bit where the Marines make a guy pee himself then throw him in the river...this book was a bit like settling down to watch New Hope and then finding out you've put Phantom Menace on instead. I hope this whole series isn't going to be like this.

Also, the much vaunted maps and pictorial campaign details? Rubbish. The ordinary black and white ones at the start of most books are better.

I sound like a hater. I love BL stuff, normally. Rynn's World had good bits. It was just overall a let down.