PDA

View Full Version : tyranid dominatrix

velkore1134
04-03-2010, 06:24
Did a little searching and found this

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/Thlaylie/DSC00562.jpg

Is there any concept art from official sources or somewhere, or even more of these that someone knows of?

Darwin_green
04-03-2010, 06:34
I think this guy made it. You'll have to go search for more info though.
http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofile&user=thlaylie

velkore1134
04-03-2010, 06:48
Yeah I found his thread, was wondering about more concept ideas

AndrewGPaul
04-03-2010, 08:35
The Dominatrix appeared in the 2nd edition Epic Tyranid army - the Hive War expansion. That's about the only place there's ever been any background information about the thing.

Here's some pictures of an Epic Tyranid army, including a Dominatrix and some Heirophant and Heirodule bio-titans.

Maxis Lithium
04-03-2010, 08:46
that's one sweet piece of sculpting, I have to admit. The head, and parts of the body remind me a bit of a dinosaur, so I suspect he used a Tyranosaurus model as his base, but damn it looks good.

SandQueen
04-03-2010, 09:02
Hold up...I think I have some bright lances around here somewhere

Iracundus
04-03-2010, 10:26
http://sites.google.com/site/epic40k2/tyranids

That has pictures of the Epic models including the Dominatrix. The part on the "throne" on the back is practically a direct rip from Geiger's Alien.

Atherakhia
04-03-2010, 10:35
The Dominatrix appeared in the 2nd edition Epic Tyranid army - the Hive War expansion. That's about the only place there's ever been any background information about the thing.

Here's some pictures of an Epic Tyranid army, including a Dominatrix and some Heirophant and Heirodule bio-titans.

It's mentioned in the new Tyranid Codex as well, being the female equivalent to the Hive Tyrant. It's much bigger, though. About the size of a Hierophant. It's also two creatures, as it's symbiotic with a rider and a beast (kinda like a Hive Tyrant riding a massive dinosaur I guess).

If the Hive Tyrant leads a battalion, the Dominatrix would lead the entire ground force

The Bell Of Lost Souls made a conversion, for their download, Lords Of Battle (http://www.box.net/shared/diel1ercms) (see attachment)

Bearing in mind, GW have "de-sluggified" the Tyranids now, and made them more insect like a-la Starship Troopers, this is kinda how I'd imagine the Dominatrix to look.
Download the file and take a look -- I think a lot of thought went into this i think :D

Iracundus
04-03-2010, 10:51
It's mentioned in the new Tyranid Codex as well, being the female equivalent to the Hive Tyrant. It's much bigger, though. About the size of a Hierophant. It's also two creatures, as it's symbiotic with a rider and a beast (kinda like a Hive Tyrant riding a massive dinosaur I guess).

Neither is the Dominatrix. The Dominatrix is the two of them together.

Below is the relevant GW background on the Dominatrix with Epic rules bits omitted:

The Dominatrix is a gargantuan composite-creature of nightmarish dimensions. Those unfortunate enough to have seen a Dominatrix report an overwhelming sense of horror and revulsion at the sight, brought about by the blasphemous implications of its form. The bulk of the Dominatrix is a giant and bestial creature equipped with ripping claw and fangs, symbiote weaponry and poison spines in dizzying and deadly profusion.

Straddling the beast's back and sunk partways into its flesh by hooks and spines, snaking loops of intestine and pulsing arteries is a second creature. This rider is a form of Tyranid as far advanced beyond ordinary Tyranid Warriors as Tyranid Warriors are beyond the genetically constructed sphincter portals of the bio-ships. Neither creature is in itself the Dominatrix; both are combined to give the bestial strength of the most savage Tyranid creatures hybridized with awesome psychic powers and a direct conduit to the hive mind.

Divination and intensive investigation have revealed the Dominatrix is the brood-mother of the swarm she leads. The Dominatrix absorbs genetic material and changes its DNA strands within herself in a manner not yet fully understood. After a period of gestation she lays eggs that quickly hatch out into more of hte monsters that make up her swarm.

As the swarm grows in size the power the hive mind manifests in the Dominatrix becomes greater. Hence the oldest Dominatrix, those with the greatest swarms, are the most powerful elements of the hive mind identified thus far. Debate has raged through the inner circles of the Techno Magi regarding the relations between individual Dominatrix and whether there is a hierarchical structure amongst them.

The Dominatrix is armed with a heavy bio-cannon that just forward from its spine. This deadly weapon spits chitin spines or shells at fantastic velocity, but does not use the lethal slime-fungs common to Exocrine bio-cannon.

The Dominatrix's immense psychic strength enables it to use one of the following psychic powers per psychic phase:

Warp Field: This power projects an aura of warp energy around the Dominatrix which can fling the energy of incoming attacks into the warp...

Energy PulseThe Dominatrix can use this power to unleash an ultra-powerful pulse of warp energy at the foe. The energy pulse is a white-hot blast of light and deadly harmonics more direct and focussed than a laser beam. Its duration is less than a second but in that time it can burn through buildings, Titans and troops to leave great ragged scars across the landscape.

p. 49-50, Epic Hive War

Chem-Dog
04-03-2010, 11:44
Did a little searching and found this

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/Thlaylie/DSC00562.jpg

Is there any concept art from official sources or somewhere, or even more of these that someone knows of?

Actually that's a pretty nice treatment of the original concept bringing it in line with the newer Tyranid look (rather than the "meat robots" that were the look when the Dominatrix was produced.

It's name checked in the new Tyranid Codex.

I have one of them in a blister still...

That has pictures of the Epic models including the Dominatrix. The part on the "throne" on the back is practically a direct rip from Geiger's Alien.

Well, from the Dead Pilot, rather than the actual Xenomorph design...
It's not a rip, it's a Hommage :shifty:

Neither is the Dominatrix. The Dominatrix is the two of them together.

I was pretty sure the Dominatrix was the gribbly on the back, the big beast was simply a slave enabling the Dominatrix to get about and throw it's weight around in a Epic sized battle.

Iracundus
04-03-2010, 11:51
I was pretty sure the Dominatrix was the gribbly on the back, the big beast was simply a slave enabling the Dominatrix to get about and throw it's weight around in a Epic sized battle.

Read the quote from Hive War a mere 1 post above yours. It says explicitly that neither alone is the Dominatrix.

AndrewGPaul
04-03-2010, 12:03

I was about to complain that I'd already posted that link, but it appears I forgot it!

I wonder, is there a difference between a Norn-Queen and a Dominatrix? Advanced Space Crusade and the 1st edition Tyranid army list (WD 145) described the Norn-Queens as the largest nodes inthe Hive-mind, and the creatures that actually designed and spawned the various Tyranid creatures. This seems similar to the Dominatrix description quoted by Iracundus above. Perhaps they're one and the same, or perhaps rider+beast = Dominatrix, while rider+something else = Norn-Queen.

Chem-Dog
04-03-2010, 12:16
Read the quote from Hive War a mere 1 post above yours. It says explicitly that neither alone is the Dominatrix.

I was expressing my surpise at the quote. :)

Iracundus
04-03-2010, 12:26
I wonder, is there a difference between a Norn-Queen and a Dominatrix? Advanced Space Crusade and the 1st edition Tyranid army list (WD 145) described the Norn-Queens as the largest nodes inthe Hive-mind, and the creatures that actually designed and spawned the various Tyranid creatures. This seems similar to the Dominatrix description quoted by Iracundus above. Perhaps they're one and the same, or perhaps rider+beast = Dominatrix, while rider+something else = Norn-Queen.

There is a difference. Norn-Queens are fused to the interior of the hive ships and are still the most powerful nodes of the Hive Mind in the fleet. The Dominatrix is (to date) the largest node for ground forces and the largest ground Tyranid with mass reproductive capacity. There is a nod to this in the latest Tyranid Codex with the timeline of Hive Fleet Gorgon that mentions the fleet's land forces' reproductive capacity was reduced to a single Dominatrix and several Tervigons.

AndrewGPaul
04-03-2010, 12:33
There is a difference. Norn-Queens are fused to the interior of the hive ships and are still the most powerful nodes of the Hive Mind in the fleet. The Dominatrix is (to date) the largest node for ground forces and the largest ground Tyranid with mass reproductive capacity. There is a nod to this in the latest Tyranid Codex with the timeline of Hive Fleet Gorgon that mentions the fleet's land forces' reproductive capacity was reduced to a single Dominatrix and several Tervigons.

Ah, thank you. I've not had an opportunity to peruse the latest Codex: Tyranids at length. Are the Norn-Queens still mentioned?

Arkturas
04-03-2010, 19:00
That 40k scale model is pretty cool but it looks a bit small for a Dominatrix.

You have to remember that there is some divergence between current 40k and the Epic Hive War supplement. The background info is still good but the modelling and rules have changed somewhat so the old epic models for the Hierodule, Hierophant and Dominatrix have shifted slightly. The 40k Hierodule is a new smaller epic creature. The Epic Hierodule model currently represents the 40k Hierophant and the Epic Hierophant model represents a larger epic creature (Hydraphant). The Dominatrix is more in line with the largest epic titan (Hydraphant).

The Dominatrix should probably be somewhere between the Warhound and Reaver Titans in bulk making that model a bit small.