PDA

View Full Version : Cannons

VoodooJanus
04-03-2010, 18:52
Okay, so this is the noobiest of noobly questions, but I've been having difficulty making heads or tails of the cannon rules. Surprisingly enough, the only cannon I've ever used/played against was the Hellcannon, which uses the stonethrower rules.

Basically- this is what I get pick model , guess range, artillery dice, misfire= misfire, artillery dice=bounce, misfire = stops on impact.

So why is everyone talking about dwarf auto-hit cannons? Don't they all auto hit? or am I missing something?

Palatine Katinka
04-03-2010, 19:00
Dwarfs can Rune up for rerolls, making them less likely to miss.
Maybe that's what they're on about. Maybe just that a good guesser can be more accurate with a cannon than a bolt thrower. Maybe both.

shelfunit.
04-03-2010, 19:05
Possibly the organ gun - rolls the artillery dice = that many "auto-hits" (just roll to wound). The latest (7th) edition empire helblaster removed the auto-hitness of 6th ed and it now has 3x artillery dice shots, then roll to hit for each one.

wyvirn
04-03-2010, 19:10
As a dwarf player, i dont know of anything that lets me reroll the artilarry dice to be more accurate, only misfires. You might be thinking of the engineer which lets you roll another die and choose the best, or the organ gun which can reroll the die if you dont like the first one and its not a misfire.My guess is that since the cannon is the bread and butter of a dwarf army, so its not unusual to see 2 or 3 in an army. That said, you get pretty good at guessing ranges.

*edit* ment master engineer. palatine is correct.

Palatine Katinka
04-03-2010, 19:29
It was the Rune of Forging I was thinking of, not quite as good as I remembered as it only lets you reroll a misfire on the Artillery die rather than any result. But that's still pretty good as you are unlikely to suffer a misfire and unlikely to have the ball dead stop. (You get to reroll both of the Artillery rolls if they come up misfire.)

PS: The Engineer lets you reroll results on the misfire chart so doesn't improve likelyhood of hitting, just makes it less likely to explode on the 1/36 chance of actually having to roll on the misfire chart when you have that rune.

stripsteak
04-03-2010, 20:10
dwarfs have it pretty good for warmachines
organ-gun - auto hits
bolt-thrower - uses BS to fire can't misfire
Stone thrower - with rune and master engi can reroll scatter, and artillery dice. low misfire, higher accuracy
Cannon - Rune to reroll misfires
Flame Cannon - the only really 'risky' dwarf warmachine, and what can you expect it was only designed a couple generations ago

the other thing to keep in mind is they can have these runes on pretty much all their cannons at once, there are plenty of combinations that don't get too expensive.

VoodooJanus
04-03-2010, 21:18
huh, okay. All this complaining I'd been hearing was really confusing me. I've got a game against a Dwarf player on saturday with my Wood Elves, and I was just trying to pin down their rules. I guess they must've been talking about the Organ gun, but they made it seem like they were talking about regular ol' cannons.
And yeah, I know what you mean about guessing ranges, my brother plays double catapult TK and beats us solely on the grounds of his superior parietal lobe. I swear he hits every unit he aims for dead center. I hate him...
Honestly though, the same rumors-way-exaggerate-the-abilities thing happened when I first played daemons: I was expecting to get slaughtered and that flamers were going to eat my face for lunch with templates, but lo and behold- no templates. And their bloodletters weren't even as good as my top fear- WoC. I still got beat, but it was pretty close. I really have to stop listening to the whiney types.

Malorian
04-03-2010, 21:46
Between the organ gun for your skirmishers and the flaming cannons for your treeman I feel sorry for your wood elves...

macattack428
07-03-2010, 02:55
Between the organ gun for your skirmishers and the flaming cannons for your treeman I feel sorry for your wood elves...

Pfffft, if a wood elf player can't completly roll a dwarf gun line , he's playing wrong...

gortexgunnerson
08-03-2010, 21:33
Pfffft, if a wood elf player can't completly roll a dwarf gun line , he's playing wrong...

Now that's certainly the true, the woods slowly move forward before disembarking hundreads of fear causing, ward saved, multiple attack core into you poor innocent gunner crew lol

What did they ever do to them???

dublin
09-03-2010, 01:40
^Thorek Ironbrow would like a word with you. (yes i know he was errata'd he still wrecks wood elves.

Palatine Katinka
10-03-2010, 01:00
What did they ever do to them???

Their people shot them without question (over an insult made far away by people the Wood Elves don't care about) and drove them into the forests. Dwarfs can't complain about what Wood Elves are, they made them. ;),

Haravikk
10-03-2010, 23:04
Their people shot them without question (over an insult made far away by people the Wood Elves don't care about) and drove them into the forests. Dwarfs can't complain about what Wood Elves are, they made them. ;),
Actually, the Wood Elves attacked a Dwarf trade caravan that passed near their territory completely without provocation![/beard]

I quite like how the army books both paint the story as each side interpreted it. I suspect it's a mixture of the two, and the Wood Elves (who are fiercely territorial when it comes to their forest) presented a threatening show of force, and the Dwarfs thought they were under attack and opened fire, meaning both were to blame.

Kind of means the High Elves got the short end of the stick (no pun intended) when the whole affair ended up triggering The War of the Beard :)

Palatine Katinka
10-03-2010, 23:32
I think all army books agree it was dark elves disguised as high elves that attacked the dwarfs. Then, during the War of the Beard, dark elves assaulted Ulthuan. The high elves then pulled out of the old world (Elthin Arvin) to defend Ulthuan but some wanted to stay to defend their new home. Especially the younger ones who'd never even been to Ulthuan. Without support these remaining elves were easy pickings for the dwarfs and fled to the forests to become wood elves.