PDA

View Full Version : Urban Warfare/Void 1.1 - anybody played it?

Flame of Udun
10-02-2006, 21:59
I've just been taking a look at the Urban Warfare mini's over at wargamesworkshop.com and think they look pretty nifty. I was just wondering if anybody had ever played it and if so what its like.
Cheers :)

stecal
11-02-2006, 01:53
Void is a cross between 40k and Warzone. It is based on a D10 so more tactical factors can be used than you get with a D6. Instead of IGO UGO units are activated one at a time and can react to enemy actions, so the movement/shooting phase is quite nail-biting as you try to draw out enemy units into acting so you can then act against them without response. I like it quite a bit - much more than 40k, but unfortunately no one plays it.

You can download the Void rules from www.urbanmammoth.com

Flame of Udun
11-02-2006, 01:58
cheers I'll take a look :)
Anybody else given it a whirl?

erion
13-02-2006, 14:13
Urban War is a distillation of the Void 1.1 rules to turn it into a Skirmish Game. Models all activate separately, but otherwise the rules are pretty much intact, perhaps a bit more refined, from the Link you were given above.

The only problem is, no one around here plays it, either. Lots of folks got burned (retailers, distributors, and players) when I-Kore (the last company that owned Void) went under. Urban Mammoth did a great job re-launching, but as soon as folks hear about the connection to Void 1.1 they get antsy.

jazzdude78
13-02-2006, 15:05
Urban War also adds in a few new rules such as an order system that controls what a model can do and in what order they can activate (to an extent been awhile since I played Ill post more later maybe when i find issue 0)
Additionally they added in caliber which basically is kinda like experience, the higher the caliber the more things a model can potentially do in a round
as an aside alot of the models are pretty nice in the new line I like alot of the older Void sculpts better but the new ones are still nice

Luke
13-02-2006, 19:43
i cant say i have ever played either void or UW but have been tempted on more than one occasion to get UW if only for the damn sexy miniatures (45 viridian marines of which comprise my IG mechanised army lol)

i am generally un-impressed by 4th edition 40k and so am looking for a new game. UW seems to be the one.

Spacemunkie
13-02-2006, 19:53
I like UW - I found it more interesting than Void as that always seemed to be too similar to 40K with different dice.

It's cheap to get into -the basic rules magazine is only a few quid and the new starter boxes are decently priced. They've got some talent sculpting for them too. Some of the new Syntha droid thingys are particularly cool.

And you get to paint Kabuki Dolls :D

Luke
13-02-2006, 20:59
those viridian marines are some of the best models I've had the pleasure of painting. so damn nice. thoug i dont know which faction i would collect if i started playing.

btw, those full force 300 boxes look ace! what a good idea.

also, arent the vasa getting a new model line in the form of some russian looking greatcoat guys and a big robot?

jazzdude78
14-02-2006, 08:31
Yea VASA has now changed from the predominantly asian themed VOid 1.1 force and now are russian mostly
I guess with the triads being so oriental they didnt want another force so similarly themed (well there is a bigger distinction that would be made with Junkers gladiators and convicts)
UNless Im mistaken the new Vasa will be a seperate force from the triads

Sleazy
14-02-2006, 13:14
never played it but have been painting some of the minis from urban war this week. really nice.
might give the game a go, been painting Triads but have loadsa other minis i bought cos they were cheap, dunno much about the different factions though.

as i mentioned on another thread, if you have a Travelling Man store in your area they are selling all the minis half price.