PDA

View Full Version : magic resistance question

stiggie
05-03-2010, 12:15
heyy,, quick question that im really confused about..

i was playing against brettonians last night using my WoC,, i cast pandemonium (effects the whole field, enemy cant use generals leadership/ miscasts on a double) and the opponent had a paladin with MR(3).

now about 3 people (and a GW staff member) all said that the paladin gets to use his MR against pandemonium bearing in mind in the BRB it states "whenever a spell targets" and pandemonium doesnt target anything,,

im just curious who is right and wrong?? :)

cheers

Ultimate Life Form
05-03-2010, 12:20
If there is no target there is no MR as well.

Rogzor87
05-03-2010, 12:23
The only way he would get to use his MR is if he was Directly Targeted. If its a Board wide thing then it hits everything no amount of MR can stop it.

stiggie
05-03-2010, 12:39
cool cool cheers for the fast replies,, ill let them know next time i see them,, i just gave up challenging it because they were all getting aggressive haha

Necromancy Black
05-03-2010, 12:44
Remember that the BRB for MR use to say targets or affects, but there was an errata that removed the wording so it only says targets.

What would be the point of this unless only spells that target something trigger MR?

Also the DE FAQ has said that Area of Effect spells, like pandemonium, Cleansing Flare, etc don't trigger the ring of hotek if they affect a unit with range. the intend of all this seems pretty clear.

stiggie
05-03-2010, 13:06
lol yeh well i was like 100% certain but then out of the blue 4 people said i was wrong lol,, but that was a very stressfull game where they made out that everything was against me lol alls good tho :P

Rogzor87
05-03-2010, 13:13
Alot of people try to bend or break rules just to win. Its those sort of people who ruin the game. For the people who are wrong.

Tell them to read pg 95 of the Rule book. It clearly states that the MR dice "Can either be used on there own against any spell TARGETED against the unit, or in combination with dispel dice from wizard or other sources"

Thats in the first paragraph of the MR special rule.

Since he isn't targeted he gets to roll no MR

Pacorko
05-03-2010, 15:54
Exactly.

They can whine all they want about how "broken" Pandemonium is, but... it targets nothing. It's a magical storm that hits everyone and thus, MR is not usable as per the BRB.