PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian army

goonerslg
05-03-2010, 14:45
I was wondering what the good people of Warseer think of Brettonia as an army choice. My VC army is where I want it so I am starting to think about my next army to start once I've finished painting up my Vamps. I want to collect a 'good guys' army and Brettonia look like a fun army for painting/converting purposes but have never played with/against them nor have I seen them in action. Any views from current/ex Brett players would be very much appreciated :)

ewar
05-03-2010, 14:54
They're a fun army to play with - especially if you like getting stuck into close combat. They're also good if you like dictating the pace of play, as the whole army can be very mobile (obviously, being a cavalry heavy force). I wouldn't buy too many pegasus knights though, as I have a hunch the RAF build will be gone when the book gets re-done in a year or two.

Just don't bank on being active in the magic phase :)

willowdark
05-03-2010, 14:59
With the proliferation of Fear causers in 7th ed, Brets are generally considered to be at a disadvantage. Internet wisdom suggests the 8th ed will reform the rules for Fear, so it might not be as bad in a few months.

My current gaming group has two Bret players enjoying a lot of success, so I'd say the army is still competitive. If you take a look at the "Bretonnia BatReps on YouTube" thread, you can get a very good idea of how the army plays. I think the current environment is more favorable to multiple units of Pegasus Knights than it used to be - within reason of course. A single Bret Lord on Peg and two units is a nice balanced build in the game today, and Once Bitten plays it very well.

It's a good army, but requires a lot more tactical foresight than it used to, though I got massacred by a 7 lance army at 1999 in a tourney a week ago.

goonerslg
05-03-2010, 15:08
Im not overly concerned about not being active in the magic phase, I like my armies to be differant from one another so if i was in the mood for magical destruction then I would just get the vamps out!! When was the book last re-done? just wondering how much life I can get out of the current one

Condottiere
05-03-2010, 15:51
Bretonnians - one trick pony.

Though one variant is to create a horde of peasants.

Malorian
05-03-2010, 15:53
Awesome army but sucks to paint.

The current book is still very competitive and you'll have a lot of fun out of it.

#1 tip: don't go crazy with characters and get knights... lots of knights :D

sssk
05-03-2010, 18:53
If you wanna see how they play, have a look at once bitten's youtube battle reports. They're pretty good and fun to watch too. (look in the battle reports section of this forum). Also Vaulsc has had a few games against Bretts (though not using Bretts himself) and his reports are dead good, so i recommend you watch those (though finding the Brett ones might take some sifting, he's done a lot of things on youtube).

As for the army, I haven't played with it, but having played against it, going all knights is a bit dull, but if you take a bit of everything, both you and your opponent will have a fun and comparatively tactical game (if you want to smash unit after unit after unit after unit, then the all knight tactic holds out).

As for Fluff, put lots of peasents in there. If you work on what you tend to see on battlefields, it would seem that the nobles outnumber the peasents at least 100-1 in Brettonia, which I'm pretty sure isn't right. You can get some good conversions from them too.

jayzerus
05-03-2010, 19:47
Bretonnians - not a one trick pony.

At least not to the non-simple minded...

Shadow_Steed
05-03-2010, 22:01
As a long time Bretonnia general I can say that they easily can become a one trick pony, however as jayzerus says it doesnt have to. Try fielding alot of non-knight units, mounted yeomen, trebuchets etc, this will give alot of variety from the all-out combat knights.

So dont focus to hard on the knights and you will have a varied and fun force.

Orcboy_Phil
05-03-2010, 22:12
Since I normally paint very natural coloured armies (Greens, browns, greys; mostly browns though), they give me a chance to use nice vibrant colurs. I think if your currently using VC's you'll proberly find that as well.

phoenixguard09
05-03-2010, 22:13
My Bret army has no peasants in it so I can definately say, yes mine is a one trick pony. However I tend to win big or lose big with them. As Malorian said they are a fun army but it takes a while to paint them.

PS. Just realised that you may not take as long as I did because you might not have say individual heraldry for each knight and such so really I can't give you any advice on how to paint them. Don't suppose we can see a possible army list?

fantasypisces
05-03-2010, 23:01
I just stopped playing my Brets, not because I don't like the army, it just wasn't the army for me.

Don't go all knights, you would be amazed at how effective 25 men at arms, 5 mounted yeomen, skirmishing bowman, and a trebuchet can be. A lot of people also like the grail relique, but I haven't played with one yet.

I will say at times the army can be a one-trick-poney. Beware psychology tests (fear/terror) and rubber lances, they will ruin your battle very quickly.

I'm a bad roller myself so that can really hurt you. Most of my losses are simply because of multiple rubber lances (which then caused me to flee for losing combat) and failed fear checks. Since you will generally have fewer units than a lot of other armies they can really bite you in the butt. But if you play carefully (and don't roll bad) you will be fine.

meneroth
06-03-2010, 00:30
I started with bretts and i have to be sorry to say that they are a one trick pony in my experience. using other units are fun like the peasants and yeomen but they just arn't that good. bretts tend to swing two ways, either a pesant type army with a few knights and trebuches backing them up or an all knight army. The pesants are fun, but just not that good, especially against higher tiered armies. The knight army (my 2000 pts had 56 knights) is quite powerful but its rather point and shoot. deploy opposite what you want to hit and crush it with multiple lance charges.

My bit of advice if your going with a knight army is 3 simple points:
1) grail knights are REDICULOUS. sure they dont have the basic stat line of a blood knight or anything but a group of 8 with a maiden for the magic resistance is just disgusting. something about the zen of the unit seems to bless the dice for them, at least for me. I consider them a must in any game.
2) lord of hippo. This is controversial but i find it to be a great unit, a great model and gives the army alot of tactical flexibility it otherwise lacks. it can take out pretty much any unit it wants (within reason) and has the US 5 to deny ranks and get rear charges.
3) double team any serious unit your charging. like the rubber lance guy says, its very obnoxious when you fluff your attacks and your unit is screwed. with two lances that hardly ever happens and you have the SCR to win combats anyway. KOTR are good alone, but much better when run in pair units, especially against serious infantry like temple guard and chaos warriors.