PDA

View Full Version : Question on SBG rulebooks

inquisitorkazyle
06-03-2010, 02:38
With the release of WotR me and a couple of friends purchased some very sizable forces. We love the game and the rules, and with all these models it seems a no brainer to go ahead and buy the SBG rules since we have all these models available.

A long time ago when the SBG was first released and they had the original Fellowship, Two Towers, and Return of the King box sets I purchased all three. At the time they came with game rules and such. It appears they are on a new edition or at the very least things have changed. I'm curious as to if the core rules have changed and if so how much? I know there is the new rulebook available but I thought I would double check and make sure all my other books were obsolete first.

Whitwort Stormbringer
06-03-2010, 03:49
To be honest, not a whole lot changed between the rulebook included with Return of the King and the big rulebook. One noteable difference is that, unless very clearly and explicitly stated otherwise, all models are assumed to carry a handweapon in addition to any other equipment they have (even berserkers can apparently keep a dagger in their loincloths).

Otherwise, the big rulebook is nice simply in that it collects together all the profiles up to the point that it was published. However, most profiles are available online from GW, and apparently most point values are printed in Legions of Middle Earth so if anything, I'd say get that book first.

Valkyrie114
07-03-2010, 05:35
IIRC the courage rules also changed from RotK to ORB.

If you want to play SBG, just buy your army's related sourcebook (Mordor, Gondor in Flames, Harad, Fall of Arnor, Shadow in the East or whatever) and learn the rules from a friend. I bought the full rulebook and found myself only needing the 'codex' to play.

The problem with Legions of Middle Earth is not all of the points values are correct and there are some entries that do not exist or were renamed.

For all-around usefulness, Go for both a 'Codex' and the LoME book. For a little less than the price of the full rulebook you get the points values of all the LoTR models, a book for your army and free online access to whatever other profiles you might need.