PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with Dwarfs

Wargamejunkie
11-02-2006, 09:56
I have recently started picking up some of the new dwarf stuff and I had some questions on how to go about it.

What would be considered a good about of troops to war machine ratio. The reason I ask is I am playing around with what troops to take, but I really like the dwarf war-machines (one of the reason I decided them).

any help would be appreciated.

Also, if you could give me a run down on which do you prefer better, the organ gun or flame cannon.

MadJackMcJack
11-02-2006, 11:32
Say one war machine to every 2 infantry units, if you want a lot of shooty. And if an opponent gets ippity over the amount, remind him that Dwarves have 2 choices, infantry and war machines.

Organ gun is good against tough units (lots of hits), flame cannon is good against low leadership units (causes an automatic panic test).

Keller
11-02-2006, 19:47
It really depends on how you want to play your dwarves. You could play defensivly, taking many machines, backed by quarlers and thunderers, with few fighty-units to take on surviving enemy units. You could also play offensively, where you take Miners, Rangers, Gyrocopters, and lots of infantry to trudge toward your enemy, while a few ranged units help to soften them up. Or you can strike a balance between the two.

Since I despise gunlines, I would suggest taking 2-4 machines (bolt thrower, 2 stone throwers, and organ gun), backed by 2 units of 12-16 quarlers/thunders who can double as a combat unit, and then fill in the rest with warriors, hammerers, longbeards, maybe some miners and rangers.

Just think about how you want to play, and buy towards that.

Wargamejunkie
12-02-2006, 06:38
Well, right now I was thinking about using 2 stone throwers and maybe an organ gun/flame cannon. Now, what really tickles me is it a good idea to take 2 master engineers and but them with the stone throwers, with rune of accuracy and maybe a run of pen or two.

The reason I put this question forth is would a stone thrower with reroll scatter and artilery really be worth the use of the 2 character slots. Something I will have to play test, but looking for previous experience first.

The other 2 characters I would use would be a runesmith and thane.

oma
12-02-2006, 08:19
the stonethrower with reroll scatter and +2strength is one of the best in the game, but you are looking at a big point cost as well

i usually take 1 organ gun, and two units of 10 thunderers and play the rest of the army offensivly with ironbreakers hammerers/longbeard miners and warriors with thanes and an anvil