PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong to have/had to many armys ?

shadowskale
07-03-2010, 14:46
Hi, I been playing collecting warhammer for about 4-5years now, and I just love so many of the armies, in those few years I brought and sold, Lizardmen, Empire, Ogres, Orcs, WOC, daemons, and dark elves, not to mention all my 40k armys, and I am always being criticized by friends/family for having to much warhammer, my question is it wrong to have to many armies ?

Veloxnex
07-03-2010, 15:15
if you can afford it no. if not, yes.
I've massed up around 3-4k of lizardmen, Delves, daemons in both systems, Beastmen, Nids, Marines x2, Chaos, necrons and tau. but they were all bought at times when i had the money and could afford it. i'd find it more odd that you got bored of stuff so fast and sold it.

shadowskale
07-03-2010, 15:19
if you can afford it no. if not, yes.
I've massed up around 3-4k of lizardmen, Delves, daemons in both systems, Beastmen, Nids, Marines x2, Chaos, necrons and tau. but they were all bought at times when i had the money and could afford it. i'd find it more odd that you got bored of stuff so fast and sold it.

I do sell it, but only because of the criticism of owning to much. but then I get criticized for selling them so I can't win :cries:

Malice&Mizery
07-03-2010, 15:43
I'd never sell an army.

1) You'll never get a good return, unless you paint them to pro standard.

2) It's nice to have variety :)

Eff the critics, it's your hobby.

Condottiere
07-03-2010, 15:45
Obviously, we don't have a complete oversight of the situation.

Hypothetically, if you were married, this may be an around about way of saying that you need to spend more time with the immediate family; or perhaps your circle thinks you're too obsessed with it. I get critiqued for having too many computers about, and should get rid of them as I upgrade.

You can have as much junk as you can afford and have space for, but it might hang on some other factor.

Onidan
07-03-2010, 15:46
Well, I have three armies right now.

Lizardmen, Ogre Kingdoms and Dwarfs.

Is that too many? I don´t think so. In fact I´m thinking what fourth army I might play.

There is only "Too quickly", but not "Too many". I have those armies mostly unpainted and I won´t start the fourth army until I have at least finsihed two of my other armies.

Chucklemoney
07-03-2010, 15:50
I'd never sell an army.

1) You'll never get a good return, unless you paint them to pro standard.

2) It's nice to have variety :)

Eff the critics, it's your hobby.

That depends when you bought the mini's.

Having recently sold my Iyanden style Eldar army, for which wraithguards were bought waaay back in the day for about £5 each, I nearly made a profit.

I will agree, that if you can afford the models there is no problem in having multiple armies etc. I'm sure everyone criticising you has something in their life they spend the equivalent amount of money on, whether it be Golf, car's, or any other such thing.

shadowskale
07-03-2010, 16:16
Obviously, we don't have a complete oversight of the situation.

Hypothetically, if you were married, this may be an around about way of saying that you need to spend more time with the immediate family; or perhaps your circle thinks you're too obsessed with it. I get critiqued for having too many computers about, and should get rid of them as I upgrade.

You can have as much junk as you can afford and have space for, but it might hang on some other factor.

Nope that is pretty much the oversight, I am not married, just living home atm till I can move in with my GF. both my friends that moan play warhammer themselves.

freddythebig
07-03-2010, 17:18
I suppose that it is all relative really, I mean too much compared to what?

I myself have,

High Elves and Empire for Fantasy
Imperial Guard, Sisters, Marines for 40K
Arthurian, Saxons, Germans and Romans for WAB
US Rifle Co. and German Grenadiers for FoW
US, British, German for RoE.

I also have boxes of scenery to suit various games and scales. The biggest problem for me is finding space for everything.

By the way, I have been married for more than twenty years, never had a problem with the wife moaning, or anyone else for that matter.

buffaloxl
07-03-2010, 17:21
I dont think you can have too many armies. I have orgres, daemons, bretonia, vampires, dwarfs, orcs and goblins, chaos marines, 2 marine armies, and tyranids, all with at least 2000 points, and i love them all. I would never really consider selling any of the armies i have devoted a lot of time to, which is about 9 of them lol. In my opinion you cannot have too many, so keep on collecting man, screw what the nay-sayers tell you.

EmperorNorton
07-03-2010, 17:28
Is it wrong to have too many armies? Yes.
Is it wrong to have many armies? No.

You have too many armies when you need the money you spend on them elsewhere, when you don't have the space to store them or when the amount of stuff you have begins to overwhelm you (you can't get it all painted, play with it etc.)

Looks to me like you're fine.

I might have to worry about me, though (a bit overwhelmed myself, if I'm honest).

bigcheese76
07-03-2010, 17:31
If you get to the point where you have about one of each army in each game system, that is too many. In my opinion everyone has that army that they know and love, so if they have to go through 7 armies to find it then thats fine. Luckily for me I found my army first time when I started with guard and their mass of tanks.

SilentCivilian
07-03-2010, 17:33
You say that your friends who play moan at you about it too. Do you leave your armies unpainted while they paint theirs? Or do they just not have as much disposable income as you perhaps.
As someone who recently moved in with his Gf i have to say i dont think she realised the extent of what i had model wise. She is fine with it and every month i get to treat myself to another box of models.
Speak to the people who are complaining and ask what in particular bothers them. You cant really address the issue unless you know what is bothering them so much about it. At the end of the day its your hobby and your money. If you can afford it, then go for it.

DarkTerror
07-03-2010, 18:04
If you're being criticized because your family doesn't understand your hobby that's okay.

However, also realize your family and friends also see when things are becoming a problem before you do. So if their comments become "You're spending too much time on Warhammer, we don't get to see you enough" or "You can't go out tonight? Well, maybe if you didn't spend so much money on Warhammer..." then you should note that the balance might be out of whack.

For now, do as you do :)

Lordsaradain
07-03-2010, 19:17
Is it wrong to have/had to many armys ?

Wrong as in morally wrong? I cant see how it could be morally wrong to have them.

It could be "wrong" to buy them though, for example if you use up money that is intended to be used for something else(like if your mom gives you $100 to buy new clothes and you end up spending them on new skaven instead.)

Braad
07-03-2010, 19:31
I've got one army. But considering the size, you could also say I got like 4 or 5. When is something too much? Dunno, it's your hobby, so it's up to you. It's also your life, so up to you to do what you think you should. If you want to ruin your personal life (I'm not saying you are, just giving an example) and lock yourself up with 20 armies, who is to say that you should live your life different. As long as you are happy with what you got in life, you can take care of yourself, and its not hurting anyone, it's just fine.

Personally, what helps me keep myself in check, is that the amount of unpainted stuff I got should never exceed about 2000 points at most. Just a little rule for myself to live by.
Also, I don't call stuff that is not painted 'army'. That helps, as I can't go buy stuff and say that I've got a new 'army', since it will take me at least a year to paint first.

shadowskale
07-03-2010, 20:20
I've got one army. But considering the size, you could also say I got like 4 or 5. When is something too much? Dunno, it's your hobby, so it's up to you. It's also your life, so up to you to do what you think you should. If you want to ruin your personal life (I'm not saying you are, just giving an example) and lock yourself up with 20 armies, who is to say that you should live your life different. As long as you are happy with what you got in life, you can take care of yourself, and its not hurting anyone, it's just fine.

Personally, what helps me keep myself in check, is that the amount of unpainted stuff I got should never exceed about 2000 points at most. Just a little rule for myself to live by.
Also, I don't call stuff that is not painted 'army'. That helps, as I can't go buy stuff and say that I've got a new 'army', since it will take me at least a year to paint first.

If you're being criticized because your family doesn't understand your hobby that's okay.

However, also realize your family and friends also see when things are becoming a problem before you do. So if their comments become "You're spending too much time on Warhammer, we don't get to see you enough" or "You can't go out tonight? Well, maybe if you didn't spend so much money on Warhammer..." then you should note that the balance might be out of whack.

For now, do as you do :)

Really nice comments there thanks. :)

grailknight
07-03-2010, 23:06
personally i have around 6 thousand points of empire built, based and undercoated with very few models actually finsihed that i occasionally drag out to have a bash at. several thousand points of vcs which i cant bring myself to even start, 3 woc armies at varrying stages of completion, a good sized orc army which may soon get started a woddies force including 40 eternal guard, and 3000 points of highelves also a 2000 point lizards army. oh and 2000pts of demons. this is all since 2006 when i finished uni and found i had a huge amount of disposible income and nothing constructive to do with it, it took all these forces for me to go back to my first love of bretts of which there are about 5000 points knocking about with enough units for me to field any concievable variation on their list. i dont think u can have too many armies i just think that you can find yourself being overwhelmed, sometimes undermotivated and often can be fickle, however one solution i have found is to actually write a small say 2000pt list get the models together play some games and set a schedule to get them painted before moving on to the next project. currently im working on an empire force which im planning to get done in around 6 weeks, fingers crossed. once this armies done i plan to do the same for some bretts. im just at the point wher i want a fully painted force to play some games with so that i dont wander

Luxem
07-03-2010, 23:21
If you are happy and having a good time, then no, its not wrong, its our hobby. People spend a lot of money on their hobbys all the time like sports collectors, people that race dirtbikes and 4 wheelers, etc..

(As long as you don't spend to much!)

Tower_Of_The_Stars
07-03-2010, 23:25
my question is it wrong to have to many armies ?

In the context of the hobby I would personally say it was only wrong if the models weren't seeing paint.

ChaosVC
08-03-2010, 01:50
Its not wrong to buy alot of armies, even if you don't paint them its your choice, its your hobby its your love, why would you care if someone tell you that you have too much on models you like? Its not like you are spending all your money one things like alcohol, weeds, and gambling etc. You can tell your family to stop spending too much on "insert passtime, items" and see how they like it.
But of course if you spend money intended to help out the family on models, then you deserve to be hanged.

Still I wouldn't play with you if you have no intension of painting your toys at all.:rolleyes:

shadowskale
08-03-2010, 11:13
Still I wouldn't play with you if you have no intension of painting your toys at all.:rolleyes:

I have seen a lot of people saying this, I only really enjoy the building/gaming aspects, I can't paint to save my life. that said I am still paying to have my armies painted nicey.

Zarryiosiad
08-03-2010, 11:19
As a related question, do you guys feel it is wrong to shelve/sell/give away models from older editions in favor of newer models, even if the units themselves are still the same? Personally, I've replaced my 5th edition Dark Elves and my 5th edition Chaos Warriors for the newer models, and have never regretted the switch.

Zarryiosiad

The Red Scourge
08-03-2010, 11:39
As a related question, do you guys feel it is wrong to shelve/sell/give away models from older editions in favor of newer models, even if the units themselves are still the same? Personally, I've replaced my 5th edition Dark Elves and my 5th edition Chaos Warriors for the newer models, and have never regretted the switch.

People buy new cars every day too :)

I have 3-4K of WoC, VC and Woodies and just placed an order for 2.5K of 'ze darkies. The fourth army is probably a bit 'too much', if they're all supposed to get some play time. So I'll try to get rid of my WoC, since they've lost a lot of appeal since I got into the hobby :)

- worst part about getting rid of the models is the amount of energy poured into painting the little buggers :p

Niraco
08-03-2010, 11:57
My only "problem" with my GF was when she suggested to paint the banner of my HE Dragon princes in white so i can surrender when i get trashed on the field...ah and my wraithlords looks like peanut-heads...still have like 7000-8000 points of HE and Eldars including a titan.

FictionalCharacter
08-03-2010, 14:05
i'm trying to pare down all of my stuff. i have like 1500 points of dwarves (almost entirely BfSP, though), and probably around 2500 points of vc, if not closer to 3000 or 3500.

i'm basically exchanging all of that for probably around 2000 points of WoC. i figure a smaller army gives me an actual chance of painting all of it, and i don't think i play enough to justify having multiple full-size armies.

Arbiter7
08-03-2010, 14:12
I think a cap of three armies per 40k/fantasy is probably the most I'd go. Maybe 2 fantasy and 3 40k. I doubt that one has the time to enjoy all of them if one has way too many.

But hey, that's just me.

Dantès
08-03-2010, 15:45
I gave the thread a read-through, and thought I'd put in my opinion, but first I want to say something to those people who say selling an old army of yours will not generate a profit. Yes, it will generate a profit. Anything you make over $0 is profit, since the army is a sunken cost. You paid for the army, not to sell it for more, but to enjoy it, that was the primary reason. Reselling is not factored into this equation, since you're not a business, but when you DO resell every dollar is considered profit.

It's much like if I buy a car...I'm not buying it to resell it for more later, I'm buying it so I have a means to get around, and then I will eventually sell it. All the money from selling that car is profit.

With that said, I feel like if you have more than 3 armies from BOTH 40k and Fantasy it's too much. If it costs $400 to make a 1500 point army for 40k, and more than that for a 2k army in fantasy, you're probably paying $1500 for those three armies. That may be a fine amount of money to spend when you live at home and don't have any bills, but it's important you learn how to budget yourself, so you can have all the stuff you want, and yet have money on the side.

When you come to the 3 army mark, and start buying more and more armies, then I believe that would mean you have a problem...you must keep buying warhammer. I have that problem. However, the way I go about it is I buy an army deal off ebay, for maybe half the price of retail, base it, prime it, paint it up all beautifully, and play with it for a few months. Then I sell it and do it again. That way warhammer stays fun and interesting for me, since I haven't yet found an army that really appeals to me story wise. I started Skaven in early January, and I'm already looking at Dwarfs.

It's important to think of what else you could have spent your money on, instead of Warhammer. I would have bought myself a whole horde of Skaven a month ago, as I found a great deal on ebay, but I got myself a Canon Rebel XSi camera instead. Then, instead of buying myself Beastmen, i bought a Nokia N900. Now I'm looking at Dwarfs vs. a new TV, since my 48'' 1080p Philips just isn't quite doing it for me ;)

It's all a game of give or take, you buy this so you can't have that. If the Warhammer army you're looking at will give you more joy than, say, a PS3, or a new TV, or a camera, then go for it! Just keep in mind that at some point you have to stop, so you can save money. The more money you save now, the less you have to save later ;) I save $25,000 while I was in highschool, and even though at the time it pained me and I would have rather spent it on weed or alcohol, I'm in college and I realize how awesome it is to have an "OH *****'' account for when your part time paycheck can't cover rent since you had midterms that month ;)

Rogue
08-03-2010, 16:27

Zarryiosiad

I would say that it would depend on the models personally. I have a 4th ed. Dwarf army that I never sold and I am glad that I did not sell. The plastic models may be on the auction block, but the old metal models that I have are perfect character models for my 6th edition Dwarf army. Now I will never sell my 6th edition dwarves ever since I have done a lot more playing with them then any other armies or editions. I have collected 7th edition dwarf models but I have not set them up in an army yet. I have other projects that I am working on, I will only buy the new dwarfs on a GREAT deal so I am in no hurry.

zetaplus
08-03-2010, 16:40
OP - Try this:

40k: Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Space Wolves, Orks, Tyranids, Death Korps of Krieg.

WFB: Warriors of Chaos, Daemons, Lizardmen, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven, High Elves

All over 2k pts, a couple well over 8k pts. I am sure there is an army or two I've forgotten but it's nearly 4am and I've hardly slept.

And yes, I do have a problem lol.

shadowskale
08-03-2010, 16:42
but I got myself a Canon Rebel XSi camera instead.

Aha, a SLR, the pictures that make of camera take are just amazing.
though the kit lens is gross, its a good idea to get yourself a better lens. ;)

It's all a game of give or take, you buy this so you can't have that. If the Warhammer army you're looking at will give you more joy than, say, a PS3, or a new TV, or a camera, then go for it!
I already have a ps3, sold my lizardmen to get some of the money towards it, looking back I had a lot more play from my PS3 anyway. :)
right now its more of a case of warhammer or FF13/Alien VS Preditor/and pokemon heart gold. :p

Dantès
08-03-2010, 17:59
Aha, a SLR, the pictures that make of camera take are just amazing.
though the kit lens is gross, its a good idea to get yourself a better lens. ;)

Hence why I never bought that Guard army ;)

I already have a ps3, sold my lizardmen to get some of the money towards it, looking back I had a lot more play from my PS3 anyway. :)
right now its more of a case of warhammer or FF13/Alien VS Preditor/and pokemon heart gold. :p

I love my ps3, and I've been thinking of getting FFXIII and God of War III, but I can't decide if I should get one or both.

I'd say get one of the video games, honestly. They get plenty of play at any time, while Warhammer is very situational, and one or maybe even three armies are enough. Sell a couple, buy another, and have fun with that one. when that loses it's fun value, sell and buy another. Repeat until you have found an army that you LOVE...which for me I think is Dwarfs ;)

All my 40k got sold a year or so ago, and then four months ago I started Skaven. Started a small Beastmen force a month ago, but I wanted more shooting, so I sold them to a friend. So I'll be starting Dwarfs, and if I like them, I will be selling off my Skaven :p

silashand
08-03-2010, 18:17
my question is it wrong to have to many armies?

If you can afford them and aren't causing your family to go into debt and/or go without something they need then I say do whatever you like. I know folks who spend far more on things like golf than I have on Warhammer, though I own probably 200,000+ points of just GW stuff I've collected over the years. For WFB alone I own 12 armies at present, of which all but Empire and maybe my Ogres are over 5000pts, some well over (My dwarfs are 25,500pts). I have Dwarfs, Dark Elves, High Elves, Chaos Warriors, Chaos Daemons, O&G, Skaven, Bretonnians, Tomb Kings, Dogs of War, Ogre Kingdoms and Empire. I have owned Lizardmen, Vampire Counts and another Empire army, but they were either sold or given away. In the 20 years I've been playing WFB, I have owned all but Chaos Dwarfs, Wood Elves and Beastmen. I like all the armies really and having a decent selection allows me to choose something different each time a campaign or event comes around.

Cheers, Gary

Samus_aran115
08-03-2010, 18:20
Depends. Are they complete armies? If not, than yes. If so, than good job!

Braad
08-03-2010, 18:21
It seems so weird to me, all these people saying 'bought this army, sold that army'... I really don't even want to think about not having my army around. I think that is something that comes when you actually paint everything. As a figure of speach: I'd rather sell my soul then my orcs & goblins. We shared the good and bad (plenty of those!) times together, for close to 6 years already. They got a nice display cabinet, and I even get worried about them when I'm gone a while! Yes, it's that bad! But that's what you get when you put so much work and time in them...

Disclaimer: It's not an addiction or something, I don't paint that much nowadays. I do think social time and the likes is more important than painting time. But it has just grown on me quite a bit.

I guess it must be the love for da Green!

shadowskale
08-03-2010, 18:33
Hence why I never bought that Guard army ;)

I love my ps3, and I've been thinking of getting FFXIII and God of War III, but I can't decide if I should get one or both.

I'd say get one of the video games, honestly. They get plenty of play at any time, while Warhammer is very situational, and one or maybe even three armies are enough. Sell a couple, buy another, and have fun with that one. when that loses it's fun value, sell and buy another. Repeat until you have found an army that you LOVE...which for me I think is Dwarfs ;)

All my 40k got sold a year or so ago, and then four months ago I started Skaven. Started a small Beastmen force a month ago, but I wanted more shooting, so I sold them to a friend. So I'll be starting Dwarfs, and if I like them, I will be selling off my Skaven :p

Aha, very good, both my mum and dad have the Rebel XSi, so needless to say I picked up a lot about it.

Oh, gosh, I love bumping into ps3 owners, most people are xbox360 fans, us ps3 users are a dying breed.
Get FF13, I like god of war but I found it too samey, step one hack and slash, step to solve a puzzle, step 3 fight a boss (with quick time events ugh) step 4 watch FMV and start all over again. :p
PM me what online games you have, maybe we can play some killzone or something.

Good luck with you dwarfs, I thought about getting them a bit lately, I keep wanting a dragon age themed dwarf army, with golems and spirits of dead dwarfs.

It seems so weird to me, all these people saying 'bought this army, sold that army'... I really don't even want to think about not having my army around. I think that is something that comes when you actually paint everything. As a figure of speach: I'd rather sell my soul then my orcs & goblins. We shared the good and bad (plenty of those!) times together, for close to 6 years already. They got a nice display cabinet, and I even get worried about them when I'm gone a while! Yes, it's that bad! But that's what you get when you put so much work and time in them...

Disclaimer: It's not an addiction or something, I don't paint that much nowadays. I do think social time and the likes is more important than painting time. But it has just grown on me quite a bit.

Some people don't fall in love with there army first time, other people just need the money.
I personly regret selling my necrons/ogres now because I did love them, but at the time money was tight and there where other things I wanted/needed.

depends what you mean by complete. if you mean painted then no not yet, but I have just finished my empire list, about 2k there or so, I never play much more than that.

Dantès
08-03-2010, 19:11

I don't see where the difference is. If you like certain models from armies you don't collect, by all means pick them up. They're collectors bits then. But you're saying if you own, for example, 5 armies, all painted and complete at around 5k points each, that's fine?

I'm not trying to be an ass, just asking you to clarify what you mean

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself :p

Just kidding...though I have run into armies that I LIKE, I haven't found one yet that I LOVE. If I started a love affair with an army, by all means I would keep that army, and it's more than just 'gaming' at that point. I was that way with my very first fantasy army I started back in 2003, High Elves, but I sold them off because I got into 40k. This was at a time when I would rather afford some illegal substances rather than buy more warhammer with that money :p don't judge me because I was 14, everyone has their vices!

Aha, very good, both my mum and dad have the Rebel XSi, so needless to say I picked up a lot about it.

Oh, gosh, I love bumping into ps3 owners, most people are xbox360 fans, us ps3 users are a dying breed.
Get FF13, I like god of war but I found it too samey, step one hack and slash, step to solve a puzzle, step 3 fight a boss (with quick time events ugh) step 4 watch FMV and start all over again. :p
PM me what online games you have, maybe we can play some killzone or something.

Good luck with you dwarfs, I thought about getting them a bit lately, I keep wanting a dragon age themed dwarf army, with golems and spirits of dead dwarfs.

Some people don't fall in love with there army first time, other people just need the money.
I personly regret selling my necrons/ogres now because I did love them, but at the time money was tight and there where other things I wanted/needed.

depends what you mean by complete. if you mean painted then no not yet, but I have just finished my empire list, about 2k there or so, I never play much more than that.

If you've got a painted empire army at 2k, then you can consider it complete. If you want another army, go for it. How often do you play over 2k games? I've found that I RARELY play over 2k games, so when I hit 2k to me that means the army is complete.

I'll throw you a pm about cameras and video games, so we don't derail this thread :p

shadowskale
08-03-2010, 19:33
If you've got a painted empire army at 2k, then you can consider it complete. If you want another army, go for it. How often do you play over 2k games? I've found that I RARELY play over 2k games, so when I hit 2k to me that means the army is complete.

I'll throw you a pm about cameras and video games, so we don't derail this thread :p

Well I just got my empire you see, and already I want Nercons Dark elves Vampire counts (but I wanted those for ages) and daemons :shifty:

I don't play 2k games at all, 1500 is the normal, however the extra 500points are useful for swaping in and out units.

and lol:
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd87/shadowskale/Thread-Offtopic-Derailed.jpg

Phelix
08-03-2010, 19:37
As long as you pay decent attention to each of your armies, then no I don't think so.

My problem is I get bored with one army and switch to another. Now Im going back and finishing all my incomplete armies (starting with my Kult of Speed, which ironically is my most complete (its actually tournament legal, however its not painted to a standard I want it to be so back I go)