PDA

View Full Version : chaos undivided or tzeentch

Shadow Weaver
11-02-2006, 16:35
I am only just starting to collect a chaos fantasy army - reason why I just love the tzeentch champion on the disc of tzeentch.
My question is this am I better off going for a general undivided list with him as a champion or am I better off going for a all tzeentch list?

The reason for this is that I like having one list that I can use against all comers and am concerned about finding myself up against a all Khorne army list. (I know that all dedicated followers of khorne would say to always be worried;) )

Malakian
11-02-2006, 17:57
I myself prefer tzeencth.

ROCKY
11-02-2006, 18:10
I would go with undivided, because if your general is undivided then you can have other characters with various marks (for instance lets say your general is a lord, you can have an aspiring champ with the mark of tzeentch) plus you can give your units boosts with different marks. say you are undivided, and have a slaanesh scorceror, you can give your chariots the mark of tzeentch for extra powerdice that he can use!:evilgrin:

Shadow Weaver
12-02-2006, 15:40
The thing is I have seen a chat that pointed out the advantage of either going all out magic or anti-magic.

Someone stuck in the middle apears to waste his magic points as they are either overwhelmed by a full all out magic army, negated by a middle level magic list or disabled by a anti-magic list.

kyussinchains
12-02-2006, 18:42
I tend to go all out tzeentch, with 3 level 2 sorcerers and a level 4 (sometimes riding a dragon) you will dominate the magic phase. I've played 2000 point games where I've had upwards of 18 power dice (admittedly it was very much a WAAC list) Combine that with the staff of tzeentch and you're really up there in defense too (as long as you resist the temptation to re roll to get irresistable force and use it to dispel with instead)

ROCKY
12-02-2006, 18:45
Do you know how EXPENSIVE it is to have 18 powerdice in a 2k game???!!!! /how many models are in that army?

kyussinchains
12-02-2006, 18:52
Do you know how EXPENSIVE it is to have 18 powerdice in a 2k game???!!!! /how many models are in that army?

Not many! Couple units of 12 warriors of tzeentch, 5 knights of tzeentch and a chariot of tzeentch

it was my mistake, I meant 16 power dice

I chose the army because my friend had just started playing tomb kings and we were all having a tough time coping with all his incantations, so I took so much magic I just tore him to bits and shut his own phase down. kept my distance and blasted the hell out of him then charged in and finished him off, it was about the least fun game I've had!

ROCKY
12-02-2006, 18:58
Ahaa! nice! but I would not recommend your armies to beginners (they would cry i they saw how few models they had in comparison to the enemy).

kyussinchains
12-02-2006, 19:10
Ahaa! nice! but I would not recommend your armies to beginners (they would cry i they saw how few models they had in comparison to the enemy).

very true! although it would at least be financially cheap to collect!

ROCKY
12-02-2006, 19:16
Lol! that is true! *stares at thinning wallet*

der_lex
12-02-2006, 23:21
Actually, I started out playing with Tzeentch, with armies that had about 50 or so models in them even at 2500 pts, and did just fine. Just depends on what your playing style is, I guess.

The thing I like about all-Tzeentch armies is that Chaos basically gets a shooting phase thanks to all the magic missile and damage type spells. This means you don't have to simply march forward while the enemy pelts you anymore, but you can actually turn the tables on them and blast them to bits from afar. Especially in 2500 points games, in which I can take my trusty Hellcannon, this has proved to be a very effective tactic indeed.

Also, whichever list you build, get Screamers. Screamers really are one of the best units Chaos can field, even if their stat line doesn't show it.

Azazel
12-02-2006, 23:28
A Hellcannon with a Tzeench army?! I don't take it at all unless I play Khorne and have no Spell Casters.

Hasn't it misfired and taken a Wound off all your Characters yet?

der_lex
13-02-2006, 08:32
In all the games I've played with the thing, it has only misfired thrice (and two of those were in a single game). The double misfire resulted in the loss of its wardsave and it taking 3 wounds. After the single misfire it ate its crew and rampaged, but the closest unit nearby was my Lizardmen opponent's unit of Cold One riders with a nice chewy hero inside...yum yum yum.
So no bad misfire as yet, I've been lucky.
But I play Tzeentch...'luck' is my middle name. Unfortunately, on some days, 'bad' is my first. :D

kyussinchains
13-02-2006, 19:37
screamers are indeed a versatile unit, the first time I used them, they ended up sitting in front of a unit of empire handgunners, afraid of the stand and shoot reaction I used the slashing attacks instead, which killed 3 and made the unit panic. I love em, I just cant stand the models, they look like tyranids or something!

der_lex
14-02-2006, 13:59
Well, they fit in with the whole 'Cthulhu-like organic look' GW seems to want for Tzeentch. The paintjob you do on them can help a lot, though. I never liked the bright blue/pink thing that GW uses for Tzeentch daemons, so mine are basically black with layers of blue and purple ink washed over that, to give them a sleek oily look. Kind of makes them look like stealth bombers if you have enough alcohol in your system, or really bad eyesight, and ignore the tusks, spikes and knobby bits. Still, I think they turned out ok.

metro_gnome
14-02-2006, 14:27
actually i like to take a Beastlord of tzeench with my tzeench mortals...
he is infact tied for second cheapest level 4 in all of chaos... with a slaanesh great bray shaman...
and behind the undivided great shaman... but as a beastlord he can dish out the hurt as well...

@ 2K... i use this guy... an exalted w/eye in chariot for the general... and an aspiring BSB with the knights...
re-rolled break tests help tzeench most of all because he has the weakest pschycology...
you have a nice variety of strong spellcasters... and each has another important job to do on the battlefield...

Tezzmaniak
15-02-2006, 17:18
I would play a undivided army... Playing an overkill of magic as a beginner is not to much fun... I recommend some more units
Most chaos units are expensive enough and most of the time you'll end up facing more models on the other site of the table anyway

Chris_Tzeentch
25-02-2006, 23:18
Why not take a tzeentch general and use undivided troops? Cheaper and less prone to psychology (the real bane of an all Tzeentch army)?

kyussinchains
26-02-2006, 10:19
Why not take a tzeentch general and use undivided troops? Cheaper and less prone to psychology (the real bane of an all Tzeentch army)?

it makes sense in holding your army together more, but you dont get so many power dice, I'd usually aim to try casting 4-8 spells per turn, keep your opponent on the back foot magically. So you need those extra dice.

Plus it's more in keeping with the fluff, you'd generally expect a tzeentch lord to have many tzeentch followers (would have thought so anyway)