PDA

View Full Version : How Many Units?

PhilArmstrong
09-03-2010, 00:24
Hi,

Just had a quick question as I have just started.

How many units is 'standard' in an army and what size. I am finding with Chaos that things add up very quickly, and maruaders aside, cannot have any decent static combat resolution.

In my proposed Chaos list (2250) I have a large unit of marauders and one of warriors, 10 chosen, 5 knights and a few horsemen. This only really gives me 4 units capable of reliably winning a combat, but they still rely heavily on dice rolls.

Is this too little? Obviously Skaven will have a lot of units who will win mostly by static res, whereas Chaos will mostly rely on good dice rolling.

Long nonsense ramble short: How many 'combat worthy' units do you have in your 2,000 point lists?

willowdark
09-03-2010, 00:41
There are Static Combat Rez armies, and Active Combat Rez armies. Chaos Warriors are an Active Combat Rez army. Their troops deal out a lot of attacks at high strength. You pay extra for that so you can't build blocks of SCR. To balance that, you get heavy armour so you don't die and water down your CR score. You have the option to take Marauders for cheap, but they won't kill much and will die easily, which is what they trade for offering such cheap SCR.

So if your Warrior block is too big, you're going against the grain. You're emphasizing the weakness of the unit by spending too much on it. Try splitting the unit in two. Generally speaking, Warriors are most efficient in units of 12 in 6x2 formation. Take a standard if you like. There are some excellent options for a magic standard as well. The Rapturous Standard has been a thorn in my side on a few occasions.

In my DE army I generally have about 4 primary combat units. I have the Hydra, 6 Cold One Knights with full command and the Standard of Slaughter, 1 block of 20 Warriors with full command and the Warbanner and a Cold One Chariot. So that's about on par with you.

But I have plenty of "interference" units to march block and redirect the enemy, so I can pick my fights, as well as shooters and wizards to kill at range. And between Shades with Great Weapons and RxBs with shields, most of my shooters are capable of charging into combat and swinging it in my favor.

So What you need to do is streamline your units, min/max them to achieve the most efficient build so that you have the most points you can get to build up your supports. It's about diversity of resouces.

Why not post your list?

Preacher
09-03-2010, 00:44
How many units are "standard" is tough question to answer. Everyone builds and themes their armies a little different.

The different armies play quite different so the number will vary. WOC usually are comprised of smaller amounts units its just their due to their cost elves are similar in that.

Having 4 units is solid IMO as long as you have some kind of support units to work with them. No units are really "Combat worthy" on their own against any other random unit. What I mean that is no unit has an "auto-win" button. You need to pick your battles with them to find the best chance at winning combat. If you run a few horsemen into the front of a fully ranked tough unit, say White Lions with full command, they are not gonna win. Toss them in against a unit of 5 Glade Riders or a War Machine Crew and the equation changes. Use them to hit the flank of the White Lions with your Warriors in the front and again, things change.

In my Lizardmen army I have 2 Saurus blocks a Temple Guard Block an EOTG and a baby Steg. So I guess you could say I have 5 "combat worthy" units in a 2250 list. But I have 2 skirmishing skink units and 2 units of Terradons that will help combat(mainly softening up targets for later).

Long ramble short : Every army is going to have a different amount and every player will have a different amount depending on the tactics they chose for their army.

One last example.... lol

I used to play a "Sethayla" style Wood Elf army, the entire list really had no "combat worthy" units to speak of. It was about points denial and move and shoot. The list was, 3 x5 glade riders, 2 units of Way watchers and tonnes of warhawk riders. Nothing super combat oriented. Shoot, shoot, shoot...and shoot some more then run run run. All my charges were usually made in the last turn, maybe turn 5....unless it was a really soft unit, like warmachine crews or light skirmishers.

Hmmmm... that really was a long ramble, I hope you got something out of that. Good luck with WOC

Lord Solar Plexus
09-03-2010, 07:30
The question is impossible to answer. In my Empire list, I field three blocks of various infantry, two units of knights, 1-2 units of Pistoliers, several warmachines and a couple of detachments.

This notwithstanding, I found that 4-5 combat units is working best for me. I have tried less and more warmachines or fast cavalry but when there is no-one to charge the baited enemy or to support a unit that holding a charge, it doesn't work.

Condottiere
09-03-2010, 08:32
There is no real answer, which might actually be a good thing.

I use all my Rares, and the way my list is structured, usually all my Specials, while Core depends on the exact threat I'm facing. So at 3000 points, that would be thirteen plus. Of which, you're looking at three warmachines/monsters, at least two two cavalry, two solid blocks plus, two missile troops plus, at least one group of Ogres.

Grey Mage
09-03-2010, 09:58
Hi,

Just had a quick question as I have just started.

How many units is 'standard' in an army and what size. I am finding with Chaos that things add up very quickly, and maruaders aside, cannot have any decent static combat resolution.

In my proposed Chaos list (2250) I have a large unit of marauders and one of warriors, 10 chosen, 5 knights and a few horsemen. This only really gives me 4 units capable of reliably winning a combat, but they still rely heavily on dice rolls.

Is this too little? Obviously Skaven will have a lot of units who will win mostly by static res, whereas Chaos will mostly rely on good dice rolling.

Long nonsense ramble short: How many 'combat worthy' units do you have in your 2,000 point lists?

Less toys, more boys. At 2000 pts theres no reason you cant take 2 blocks of 15 or 20 chaos warriors with full command and a mark, with some marauders, probly horsemen, as your third core choice, with some hounds for extra bulk. That leaves you with about 1000pts for a couple heroes, some knights, and a monster or two....

Elite armies like that will have fewer models on the board, but if you watch the extras you give them you should be ok. Example- if horsemen have more than 2 upgrades, you should have gotten a different unit to do the job. 1 upgrade is better than 2 most of the time- cause its cheaper.

But then my o-so-slowly being built chaos army has 200 marauder footmen in it, and is led by a shaggoth... *shrugs*.